• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Confessor.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Good point about targeting AC, it just seemed weird. I guess it should also be a gaze attack.

Yeah, I was thinking just swap Dex for the 2-weapon fighting powers.

Yeah, I agree about cloth armor, maybe change Armor of Faith so that it only works when you're wearing cloth.

Does that capture the feel? Actually, this might be interesting to a player in our new 4th edition campaign who has been thinking about a ranger but really likes the confessor concept.
Do you have any ideas for advancement in some way other than the twf elements getting better.... could she be come more capable of doing actions while commanding her pawn perhaps. ( I see her doing minor actions)
I am missing charisma being used somewhere in the concept... but not certain.

Quickleaf

Legend
I would say make feats to cover improving her truth-seer & confession abilities. I'm not familiar enough with the source material to know what other powers a confessor has.

Maybe add an "at 11th level..., at 21st level..." to the confession encounter power? Maybe "at 11th level you may continue to take free actions on your turn, and at 21st level you may continue to take minor actions on your turn?" I don't know.

If you want to add Charisma I think it would take a bit more tweaking. Oh, I forgot to put Intimidate on the class skill list, that should fix some of the missing Charisma focus.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm not familiar enough with the source material to know what other powers a confessor has.
I know what you mean...

Maybe add an "at 11th level..., at 21st level..." to the confession encounter power? Maybe "at 11th level you may continue to take free actions on your turn, and at 21st level you may continue to take minor actions on your turn?" I don't know.

I kind of like that.
I half considered that she kind of had to use a feat to have it as an encounter power .. instead of a daily... or is that the PC's are special thing happening....

If you want to add Charisma I think it would take a bit more tweaking. Oh, I forgot to put Intimidate on the class skill list, that should fix some of the missing Charisma focus.

And consider dropping Stealth.... thats a real ranger schtick.. she is more in your face priestess/diplomat who may be picking up stealth because of being an adventurer...not because she is a confessor, where as the intimidate is one of the ways they get things done.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not sure she would ever be deprived of free actions.... I think allowing minor actions followed by moves might be better.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Does that capture the feel? Actually, this might be interesting to a player in our new 4th edition campaign who has been thinking about a ranger but really likes the confessor concept.

It feels very loyal to the character who knows what the impact on balance might be... ranger powers without hunters quarry backing them?... might feel more like tempest fighter and she does generate tons of threat just by reaching at someone so maybe having marking going on?, if she tries with the confession and misses they are marked. Making her a defender... sigh, I need to turn off my picky side.

On thing is certain a Confessor and a Seeker and a Wizard need to work awesome as a team. And a Confessor and a Seeker ought to work great.

Scion9

First Post
I was thinking of a similar class based off of the Confessor, but probably on the adversary end rather than for the player's (but who knows, for future campaigns that could change). Even more so I'm interested in replicating a Mord-Sith or some kind of 'mage slayer' that makes heavy use of reactions and interrupts against magic users, but that is another topic.

I think Confession should be a daily power, which means you could balance it around being Melee 1 vs Reflex instead of AC. The ability could alternatively be a grab attack that requires you to maintain it until your next turn to Confess someone. Kahlan gets her powers back in a few hours, not five minutes (more than a short rest, less than an extended one) and she is supposed to be the most powerful of the Confessors. Both the book (when relfecting about her 'sister', Denee) and the show cite examples about other Confessors being weaker and taking a day to regain the use of their power, so those characters might be better benchmarks when designing.

There is of course the power element as well. In the source material Confession is basically permanent and irrevocable, which doesn't work well with either an Encounter power, or even 4e's somewhat implicit concept that almost all effects end at the end of an encounter, but I don't really see a way around that.

There the Con Dar, "Blood Rage", that allowed Confessors to lash out with magical attacks as well as 'Confessing' with a look and no recovery time necessary. It was also only allowed to be used in defense of a friend, so perhaps an Immediate Reaction ability to an ally being reduced to 0 hit points?

Here is the Sword of Truth wiki article related to Confessors which might be of help. Contains spoilers obviously, so read at your own risk.

Despite any of the work already done here on the class, I think a Leader designed along similar lines of the Bard would be a better fit for Confessor Lore for a full fledged class. Kahlan specifically was a wandering judge, diplomat, spiritual leader, et cetera. The Bardic niche of being versatile and knowledgeable across a broad spectrum of abilities would work well for the Confessor that stuck closely with the source material as well.

You could probably also work Confessor into a feat 'path' and Paragon Path, similar to the Student of the Plague from Forgotten Realms, or the smaller ones that have been appearing in Dragon Magazine for fighting styles (Chain Fighter, Bravo, et cetera). Kahlan specifically could be a Ranger or Rogue (the latter already having a solid reason to wield daggers) with Confessor feats. Considering the identity of 'Confessor' is built upon a single ability more or less this might be a better option than going through all of the work in creating an entire class.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think Confession should be a daily power, which means you could balance it around being Melee 1 vs Reflex instead of AC. The ability could alternatively be a grab attack that requires you to maintain it until your next turn to Confess someone.

The grab attack maintained isn't bad, though a throat grab could be seen as normally are rather successful grab ;-), if we wanted to throw a penalty on it that seems reasonable too.

Kahlan gets her powers back in a few hours, not five minutes (more than a short rest, less than an extended one) and she is supposed to be the most powerful of the Confessors. Both the book (when relfecting about her 'sister', Denee) and the show cite examples about other Confessors being weaker and taking a day to regain the use of their power, so those characters might be better benchmarks when designing.
That bit about it being a daily is rather what I was saying... but her having something ie a feat which allows her more frequent use. Given the frequency or infrequency of combat encounters .... 5 minutes or an hour aren't functionally different the way I play.
Also assuming the others are npc's, or even minion class characters who almost always use the power outside of combat and not the heros that go on quests could also be a valid interpretation.

There is of course the power element as well. In the source material Confession is basically permanent and irrevocable, which doesn't work well with either an Encounter power, or even 4e's somewhat implicit concept that almost all effects end at the end of an encounter, but I don't really see a way around that.

Right...

There the Con Dar, "Blood Rage", that allowed Confessors to lash out with magical attacks as well as 'Confessing' with a look and no recovery time necessary. It was also only allowed to be used in defense of a friend, so perhaps an Immediate Reaction ability to an ally being reduced to 0 hit points?
right I had forgot about the Con Dar... but dropping to no recovery time... is one of those ouch Epic level things going on.

Here is the Sword of Truth wiki article related to Confessors which might be of help. Contains spoilers obviously, so read at your own risk.

Despite any of the work already done here on the class, I think a Leader designed along similar lines of the Bard would be a better fit for Confessor Lore for a full fledged class. Kahlan specifically was a wandering judge, diplomat, spiritual leader, et cetera. The Bardic niche of being versatile and knowledgeable across a broad spectrum of abilities would work well for the Confessor that stuck closely with the source material as well.
I don't think we are written in stone... remember after you take off the hunters quarry inspite of calling the class a striker.... the confessing.. is not a damage dealer to a great extent (but it takes out a single adversary kind of like damage.) so there is room to argue roles even in combat.
and you came up with the high level power ie a side from being able to reuse the power in defense of a single ally (is this a perhaps her combat role... a defender... her threat becomes the ability to mark everyone knows not to let her touch them).

In combat she doesnt come off as much as an inspirer or a tactician her out of combat role is distinct and yes leader like I think... we could pull in some out of combat class features perhaps like the bardic knowledge. This would be like here picking up a bit of nature skill training, figure she does that all the time with everyone she meets would be emphasizing the wizard created nature of her class knowledge is power after all.

I think giving her a fear power is kind of cool... even if in story its intimidation..if you can use it in a fight! it seems power like.
The armor of faith being in the picture is a little like that fear
having coherent effect in a fight too.

You could probably also work Confessor into a feat 'path' and Paragon Path, similar to the Student of the Plague from Forgotten Realms, or the smaller ones that have been appearing in Dragon Magazine for fighting styles (Chain Fighter, Bravo, et cetera). Kahlan specifically could be a Ranger or Rogue (the latter already having a solid reason to wield daggers) with Confessor feats. Considering the identity of 'Confessor' is built upon a single ability more or less this might be a better option than going through all of the work in creating an entire class.

A feat path and paragon path...Could you elaborate on how a fighting style type mechanic could be used? And what feats to lead up to the paragon path .

Giving up hunters quarry ie... replacing a core combat class feature seems needed don't think we can justify anything approaching confessing without that?... and if you do that don't you kind of need the higher frequency (kahlan is more of an adventurer build than the once per day types)

hmmm the character sure fights like an X with a single power tagged on, but there is so much out of combat difference calling her a rogue or various analog names would be rejected outright by anybody who wants to play the role. The order being created by Wizards with daggers being one of the classic wizard weapons would be an in story reason for her weaponry. I see the bard niche as you put it being in there.

Ah... I don't normally like much paragon paths that define a character as they are kind of like saying to a player I know you want to play this character but you are just going to have to be something different for awhile

however having "Con Dar" be a wait till epic class effect works for me.

In story the original confessor was just a wizard who gained a power ... but the resultant order seems a class in its own right. Perhaps we should take a wizard and replace magic missile with two weapon fighting daggers ;) = doubly not serious...

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My first thought of actually limiting the power of confession was directly tie its success to the targets current hitpoints (my version of a death spell mechanic balanced for D&D4e) because we are talking about that kind of thing here... an overtly swingy bad guy go boom power... because it has limited uses 1 per day or at best once per encounter we think well maybe that isnt so bad... but isnt it?
When she makes the confession attack if the target isnt helpless, you give it a success roll like damage, but if the targets hit points are above that value they manage to avoid her touch reaching there skin she only got clothing perhaps and eye contact.. (and the power is not expended). Minions will go boom and become a meat pawn.. another thought is that what if anyone fighting enslaved by her power is indeed not much more than a minion... So they are less useful tools anyway.... her base fighting ability would not need gimped quite so far. ;)

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
I think Confessor should be either a race or a heritage feat. Not a base class. Depending on which way you go, it could be balanced in different ways.

I can see anything from a rogue confessor, to cleric confessor, to warlord confessor, to fighter confessor. I'd make Kahlan a tempest fighter, or artful dodger rogue, with bardic dilettante for the occasional majestic word that seems to encourage Richard. I'd give her the Confessor heritage feat, and a second feat that lets her replace a utility power with a minor action +5 diplomacy till end of next turn encounter utility power.

Regardless, I think Confession should be a daily power. We only see it happen once per episode or so. And I'd consider each episode an adventuring day.

The wording would be difficult, but it pretty much needs to be domination of some sort, which leaves the confessor weakened, or even possibly stunned. Maybe treat the confessed creature the same as a ranger animal companion while the ranger is incapacitated. I'd also put some other stipulation such as this power works only on standard and minion creatures, not elites or solos (including other PC's!). It should also only work on living creatures with intelligence 3 or higher. Constructs, undead, and sheep can't be confessed.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think Confessor should be either a race or a heritage feat. Not a base class. Depending on which way you go, it could be balanced in different ways.
Damn, the racial heriatage idea seems almost like an obvious idea, now that you mention it! < smacks forehead and almost stumbles />
It would even allow one to stat out the first confessor who was a wizard who became the progenitor of the race.
I can see anything from a rogue confessor, to cleric confessor, to warlord confessor, to fighter confessor. I'd make Kahlan a tempest fighter, or artful dodger rogue, with bardic dilettante for the occasional majestic word that seems to encourage Richard. I'd give her the Confessor heritage feat, and a second feat that lets her replace a utility power with a minor action +5 diplomacy till end of next turn encounter utility power.
I like the race idea gives confessors some life choices Kahlan is supposed to be the protector and defender of the seeker, so a tempest fighter being a defender type fits nicely.
Regardless, I think Confession should be a daily power. We only see it happen once per episode or so. And I'd consider each episode an adventuring day.

Kahlan might have a feat letting her re-use the power or whatever but the baseline race would definitely be a daily power, sure works great.

The wording would be difficult, but it pretty much needs to be domination of some sort, which leaves the confessor weakened, or even possibly stunned.

Domination or Extreme charm or both? what it is the rule effects ie all Dominate effects have the keyword Charm?

I do like the conditions idea.. a beginning confessor is stunned... take a racial feat to make it only weakened? save ends condition? or maybe stunned save ends then weakened till end of encounter!

Maybe treat the confessed creature the same as a ranger animal companion while the ranger is incapacitated.

Doesnt that mean you would need a set of moves the confessor would be commanding them to use or something like that? mayhaps I'm not getting it.

I'd also put some other stipulation such as this power works only on standard and minion creatures, not elites or solos (including other PC's!).
gamey ... but might be necessary.

It should also only work on living creatures with intelligence 3 or higher. Constructs, undead, and sheep can't be confessed.

Anything with Immune charm would also be a no go.
Are you sure about sheep ;-) animals seem to be quite emotive
dogs and cats .. might normally be pointless to do since they are so alligned to humans but can't you see a street urchin variety of this (rogue confessor) gathering a little tribe of city animals.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads