The Conpocalypse Has Been Scheduled

I wrote previously about geek culture reaching maximum convention saturation, predicting that major companies would eventually switch their focus to smaller venues. Two articles released this January are evidence that the "conpocalypse" is no longer a theory. It's all coming to a head this year.

I wrote previously about geek culture reaching maximum convention saturation, predicting that major companies would eventually switch their focus to smaller venues. Two articles released this January are evidence that the "conpocalypse" is no longer a theory. It's all coming to a head this year.

[h=3]Pros and Cons[/h]ICv2 columnist Rob Salkowitz reported about the wide range of Star Trek conventions coming up:

In the past, most of the competitive dynamics we’ve seen in the convention business have been around corporate shows coming to challenge local independent events, or the big guys competing to buy up successful regional shows. There are always a couple of weekends during the season that feature convention pile-ups. You even get a couple of shows angling for the same general fan base in the same basic geographic region cropping up within a week or two of each other.

Star Trek: The Original Series is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, so a deluge of conventions was perhaps inevitable. Two Star Trek cons have staked out their territory on opposite sides of the country: Creation Entertainment's Official Star Trek Convention on August 3-7 in Las Vegas and ReedPop's Star Trek: Mission New York on September 2-4 in New York City.

The New York Star Trek convention isn't the only one scheduled for Labor Day weekend. There's many other geek-related conventions the same weekend: FanExpo Canada; Dragon Con in Atlanta, GA; Meta Con in Minneapolis, MN; Nan Desu Kan in Denver, CO; SacAnime in Sacramento, CA; San Japan in San Antonio, TX; and Baltimore Comic-Con in Baltimore, MD. That's eight cons in one weekend. Salkowitz sums up the gravity of the problem:

...we really haven’t seen anything like the traffic jam that’s shaping up for Labor Day, 2016, with potentially four 50,000+ comics and entertainment shows (FanExpo alone is around 110K) and a ReedPOP Star Trek extravaganza in New York City now getting into the mix.

So what happens when the con space gets too crowded? Major sponsors begin pulling out.
[h=3]The Wizard Has Enough[/h]That may well be what's happened at Gen Con, which has experienced stratospheric growth that has outpaced the convention space. Tim Kask, who knows a thing or two about games and conventions, shared his concerns:

GenCon used to be, and to a lesser extent Origins, the date we at which we aimed for new releases; it was the single largest confluence of that many gamers. There was but a fraction of the companies back in the 70’s and 80’s that there are now. I cannot imagine the pressure to succeed, to make or break your company, if it all depends upon the splash you make at GenCon. It is extremely likely that several great games or products get lost in the blizzard of releases every year because they did not spend a lot on the box or were overshadowed in their booth area by one of the mega-booths or any number of other good reasons.

It seems Wizards of the Coast (WOTC) agrees. WOTC announced it's leaving Gen Con:

Gen Con is not on this list because we are changing things up to support more conventions and locations. Even though the Dungeons & Dragons team won’t be there we know our friends at Baldman Games will be hosting plenty of D&D adventures. It’s safe to say there will be ample opportunity to play Dungeons & Dragons during Gen Con. We’re excited to head to some new conventions this year and meet folks who don’t have the opportunity to travel to Indianapolis.

WOTC will be attending Winter Fantasy, Gary Con, PAX East, Origins, and PAX Prime. How do these cons stack up compared to Gen Con's unique attendance of 61,000? Below is an overview of each of these other cons, described in broad strokes -- all of these cons support tabletop gaming, but in most cases these cons are known for a different type of gaming that's called out below.

• The Tabletop Gaming Con: Winter Fantasy will be held in the 30,000 sq. ft. Grand Wayne Convention Center in Fort Wayne, IN on February 3-7. Winter Fantasy has a legacy tied to the Role-Playing Game Association (RPGA) and Baldman Games, who currently operates many of the Living campaigns and gaming events on behalf of WOTC. As a result, it's primarily focused on role-playing games. Winter Fantasy's attendance reached as high as 2,000 attendees in 2001.
  • The Old School Renaissance Con: Gary Con, named after Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Gary Gygax, continues the tradition of Gen Con in Lake Geneva, WI on March 3-6. Gary Con's focus is primarily the Old School Renaissance, with a particular focus on games released under Gary's leadership at TSR. Gary Con's attendance was anecdotally reported at 200 in 2009, 300 in 2010, a high of about 550 in 2011, and about the same in 2012.
  • The Video Game Cons: PAX East and PAX Prime are celebrations of gamers of all stripes, with an emphasis on video game releases. PAX East takes place in Boston, MA April 22-24 and PAX Prime takes place Seattle, WA August 28 through August 31. PAX East and PAX Prime don't release official numbers, but there are estimates as high as 70,000 attendees at each convention in 2014.
  • The Wargaming Con: Origins Game Fair takes place in Columbus, OH on June 15-19. Origin serves gaming in general, with a specific focus on wargaming and miniatures gaming. Origins' 2015 attendance was nearly 16,000 unique visitors.
Adding all the attendance numbers together (160,000 or so) is illustrative. It seems WOTC is after a broader audience beyond tabletop gamers in a wider variety of locations. In short, one of the leading tabletop game companies has withdrawn from the convention that the founders of D&D established.

If WOTC's shift away from Gen Con is any indication, the mass migration of sponsors from larger conventions to more smaller, local conventions has begun. We'll find out this year if fans follow them.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, and communicator. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Now that Wizards is spreading the wealth, so to speak, I can't wait to try out Origins or Pax Prime next year, I think its time to give Gencon a break.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yeah, the last two times I went to Gencon there was just so much going on in so many far flung places, it just felt like I was never able to accomplish anywhere near as many of things I wanted to. Every choice I made or thing I tried to schedule meant that I had to sacrifice one or five or fifteen other things.

Maybe we just need someone to make a year round gaming amusement park like Vegas or Disney Land. Where's my Dream Park and/or West World!?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I just attended PAX South. D&D was conspicuously absent. I looked around for gaming groups on all 3 days. I saw one group playing 3.5, and one DM setting up for 5E Adventurer's League, but that was it. I'm sure there must have been a couple of other D&D games that I missed, but the impression I got was that D&D wasn't really a thing there. I was disappointed.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
I just attended PAX South. D&D was conspicuously absent. I looked around for gaming groups on all 3 days. I saw one group playing 3.5, and one DM setting up for 5E Adventurer's League, but that was it. I'm sure there must have been a couple of other D&D games that I missed, but the impression I got was that D&D wasn't really a thing there. I was disappointed.

But D&D was played there. You just confirmed what the article said. Supported but not one of the main focuses. There is an audience there that may not play but may be receptive and that is what WOTC is aiming for. Don't forget the highly popular Acquisitions Incorporated games take place at PAX (but not South)

Koloth

First Post
How many of GenCon's 61,000 unique visitors are 1st timers? I think that WOTC is thinking or perhaps has access to the numbers that show it isn't that many. Skipping GenCon and hitting other cons is probably a better way to get the company reps in front of a much larger number of new folks then attending yet another GenCon.

I don't think this in unique to large cons. At the local cons around here, I see many of the same faces year after year.

Having done the Gen Con trip once, I can say that it was a great experience like no other. But, it was also stressful, from hotel seeking and event registration to navigating the enormous amounts of people of the convention. Comparing that with some of the smaller conventions, WotC's choice to beef up their presence has me pleased. I'm hopeful that WotC also brings some of their extra fun stuff to the other conventions to help enrich beyond a booth presence.

Nytmare

David Jose
Yeah, I have to say that for as much as I enjoy the spectacle, glamour, and dazzle of Gencon, there's something nice about going to a con where you can have a room in the same exact hotel, and you don't have to spend as many hours fighting for spots in games and getting from point A to point B as you do actually playing games.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads