The Continuing Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richards

Legend
You can find "Gorgoldand's Gauntlet" in Dragon Annual #5 (the 2000 Annual, not the one from last year). It also appears on the freebie CD that was shipped with Dragon #284 and Dungeon #87.

Ziona

First Post
Yeah, the other night was cool, and INSANE...you'll see what I mean when Doc posts what remains of the story. An interesting, eventful night... :)

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Well

I have to say, this story hour is getting better and better. I love the Deck Of Many Things, it is so great to see it in one of these story hours. And Dr Midnight, I am really enjoying the fact you do not pull punches with your PCs. I loved the showdown between the party members.

Now, as for Dartan... he may be lucky, but he's not so smart. He got the MOON and he didn't abuse it? I would've immediately wished that the next three cards I drew would be beneficial. That could be construed as abusing the wish, I suppose, but it'd be worth the chance, in my opinion. Still, at least he got a new companion to help him out.

By the way... UPDATE! I want to see what happened to Menerous when he used the Deck Of Many Things. This story hour is now on the top of my list to read. Great work.

Edit: Also, I would've at least attacked "Death" to see if I had a chance of beating it before using a WISH to get rid of it. Still, like Vek said, at least Dartan was alive after using the Deck Of Many Things. But I love the Deck Of Many Things, I could not resist using it at least once or twice if it was used in a campaign I was playing in. Heh.

Last edited:

Re: Well

MasterOfHeaven said:
I would've immediately wished that the next three cards I drew would be beneficial.

I would bet you that this form of wish using would have had an effect differently than desired !!! Beneficial, huh? For whom? It would be beneficial to the temple if Dartan drew "The Void", so his next card would have been that.

My experience with wishes as a player has always been:
"Be careful what you wish for !!!"

--------------

You know people pay alot of money to sages and the likes to discover a foolproof phrasing for a wish.

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
If I knew I was playing with a DM who would twist the meaning of my wish, I would be forced to word my wish to prevent that. It's kind of like dealing with a Baatezu contract... you have to make sure no loopholes exist that they can screw you with.

So... my wish would be along the lines of something like this if I was playing with that kind of DM "I wish that the next three cards I draw from the Deck Of Many Things would be beneficial to myself and have no adverse effects on myself or others."

Basically I would still get what I wanted but I would be forced to be anal about it because otherwise the DM would mess with me. I think it's better to just respect the spirit of the wish so you don't have to be so technical, but that's me.

Xaltar

First Post
Usually our experience with wishes has been, you get what you want, for the most part unless you are being greedy... Then you get what you ask for and the DM twists it into something bad.

- Xaltar

DrSpunj

Explorer
Another Lurker

I've just spent bits and pieces of the last week to finish the story so far, and wanted to come out of the darkness to say I've really enjoyed the storyline, the characters, the ability of Dr. Midnight to both write and DM well, and the players for doing what comes through as a great job with their characters (especially given that some of them have had, what...3 or 4 by now :D !).

I'm looking to start DMing in my group, a new experience for me, and have to say up front that I may just have to plagiarize your whole story Doc!

Finally, the other reason for my post is that I just looked up Deck of the Many Things in the DMG after reading these last couple posts and realized something important about the Moon card. It gives you 1d4 wishes but it also says you have to use them in as many minutes! I never realized that and not sure what I would do as a DM to let my players know they have a limited amount of time (or if I even should!) but I'm kind of glad Dartan used them before too long as otherwise he wouldn't have had them at all. On the other hand, if he used them before he drew his 2nd card...Ouch :eek:!

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Hey Doc,

Great job! I too am a long time lurker, pretty much from the start. This story hour is one of two that I follow and the one I look forward to most. Thanks to you and your players for a great story.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
You're right, the wishes gained from the Moon card should be used in an equal number of minutes. I didn't even see that at all. Well, it won't affect the story by all that much.

It's nowhere near as bad as the time I had the blue dragon breathing a cone of lightning instead of a line. Man, that was bad.

Thanks to all y'all for the support, the last chapter should be coming up sometime today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads