The current "Real Deal" on Castle Zagyg by G. Gygax

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
I guess it would be hard to do a character level comparison to LA, but I think their are enough key attributes that would help run an LA game in the Castle.

I am not about to argue about your thoughts on C&C.
LA game dungeon crawls are quite possible and enjoyable too, but the levels can not be set with graduated encounters of the sort typical in a class/level based system. Beginning Avatars in the LA game system are equal to somewhing akin to 5th level PCS, advance more slowly. Rather a matter akin to apples and oranges perhaps.

It is never too good a plan to argue about parsonal tastes in gaming, comparing one system to the OAD&D one...especially with the chap that wrote the OAD&D game :eek:

:lol:
Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Johnnie Freedom! said:
I just had to quote this line, because it's the kind of statement that makes us old-schoolers salivate . . . and lament the current state of our lives. :(
Shameless plug follws:

Take a look at The Hermit and Hall of Many Panes as both have D20 stats in them. the former gets to dungeon-like play pretty quickly, moves around to interesting places thereafter...if the initial dungeon is solved. The HoMP has all manner of adventure secanrios in it, amny of which are reminiscent of old school play, and there is one quite challengind dungeon level in it.

My players bombed out in the first module, but got through the huge HoMP one with flying colors, having much fun in the process.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Barendd Nobeard said:
I just envisioned a tear of joy trickling down Diago's cheek. :)

But then I noticed the 'A' in that acronym. I guess it was a tear of sadness.

Thanks for the updates, Col.!
As a matter of fact I still DM OD&D with some added house rules now and then, and all the participants have a great time of it. The fact is, though, that the scope provided by the former system does not provide for the complex dungeons that are enabled by the OAD&D system, nor sweeping outdoor adventures for that matter.

Cheers,
Gary

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Makes me wonder how much of it will be picked up by the OSRIC crowd, as they would have an easy time translating the C&C stats back and would have the dungeon of their life. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geron Raveneye said:
Makes me wonder how much of it will be picked up by the OSRIC crowd, as they would have an easy time translating the C&C stats back and would have the dungeon of their life. :)
Sure!

Why not :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Shameless plug follws:

Take a look at The Hermit and Hall of Many Panes as both have D20 stats in them. the former gets to dungeon-like play pretty quickly, moves around to interesting places thereafter...if the initial dungeon is solved. The HoMP has all manner of adventure secanrios in it, amny of which are reminiscent of old school play, and there is one quite challengind dungeon level in it.

My players bombed out in the first module, but got through the huge HoMP one with flying colors, having much fun in the process.

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, I'm currently running HoMP, and my players actually COMPLAINED about the dungeoncrawl! We were doing about 2 panes a session, and the dungeon took about 4-5 sessions to complete. Wonderful adventure, though. Everyone seems to be having a blast except for the one chap who charges at the drop of a hat - and dies just as quickly. He's on about his fifth character, I believe.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
Heh, I'm currently running HoMP, and my players actually COMPLAINED about the dungeoncrawl! We were doing about 2 panes a session, and the dungeon took about 4-5 sessions to complete. Wonderful adventure, though. Everyone seems to be having a blast except for the one chap who charges at the drop of a hat - and dies just as quickly. He's on about his fifth character, I believe.

That dungeon is meant to entertain, confound, and amuse the PC party for at least five play sessions. I believe my group spent eight or more exploring its every nook and cranny before finally discovering the way out. They even had one of the Ogre Brothers assist them in action :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
...It is never too good a plan to argue about parsonal tastes in gaming, comparing one system to the OAD&D one...especially with the chap that wrote the OAD&D game :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

My thoughts almost exactly! :D

ghul

Explorer
Hall of Many Panes & Castle Zagyg

Hello Gary,

I think _Hall of Many Panes_ is a fantastic module, and hats off to you (and Jon Creffield and the Trolls) for pulling of such an amazing module in this age where the boxed set is supposedly dead. One of the things I like about the adventure (read it, haven't DMed it yet) is the device you use to integrate new characters when a player character dies. I'm wondering if CZ will have such a device. Of course, any DM worth his salt can figure out a way to quickly introduce a new character to a campaign, but as the characters delve deeper and deeper into the strange depths of Castle Zagyg, I'd imagine it will become a little challenging for the DM. Looking forward to this Gygaxian magnum opus! As a teaser, I've been reading _Land Beyond the Magic Mirror_ and _Dungeonland_ lately...

Your #1 fan,
--Ghul

Remove ads