D&D General The D&D Monster I have never used (or faced) and probably never will.

I've used the catoblepas, some bullywugs, a trio of bickering aboleths, a flying terrasque, a pirate ship of slaads, and even a flumph as a joke.

But I have to admit I've never used a Fachan!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I have real trouble imagining a situation in D&D where i would decide that a slaad was the best monster to use.
I've used slaad for random encounters in the Plane of Limbo.

And a Death Slaad (?) way back in 1E when there weren't many high level monsters that my teenage players didn't know almost everything about--they passed around the Monster Manual in order to comprehensively discuss "the coolest monsters" at the school lunch table.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've used or faced Giffs, Catoblepas, bullywug (they are great!), aboleth, slaad, yugoloth, that sticky fiend from planescape 2nd ed,

Tarrasque? I'm out.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
From the MM only (and I've been gaming since AD&D days when they had some really, really bad ideas...):

Flumph
View attachment 129410

The feel-good hippy of the Underdark, this 7 hit point floating bag of air with a defensive skunk spray somehow thrives in a realm of killer dark elves, mind flayers, duergar, and demon lords. It seems to serve absolutely no ecological purpose other than to float around and soak up good vibes. They've been around inexplicably since 1981 (4E removed them and included them in an April's Fool publication), and I have absolutely no reason to use them...ever.
My campaign has an NPC flumph named Jimmy.

Jimmy works for the equivalent of a travelling circus in the "Haunted Underdark" tent which is a cheap carnival sideshow haunted house. Specifically it is the final boss monster, donning a poorly made paper mache beholder costume and floats around to scare the children only to have them "beat it" and exit the attraction heros.

Jimmy feeds off the children's psychic joy at becoming hero's, and would do anything in its power to protect the kids from actual danger (which of course comes along, it's a D&D adventure after all).

Voadam

Legend
So I've played and DM'd from AD&D/Moldvay Basic to 5e. Pulling out the 5e MM to see how far I got before I hit something I've never encountered or used in any edition I got to . . . Aaracockra. I thought I would have gotten farther.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
True Story Bro: The catoblepas was first mentioned by Pliny the Elder, a roman author who lived right around the same time as Jesus did. It's a super old school monster .....

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
True Story Bro: The catoblepas was first mentioned by Pliny the Elder, a roman author who lived right around the same time as Jesus did. It's a super old school monster .....

Thats because its a garbled description of a real African Gnu -Wilderbeast

Remove ads