The Dark Knight Rises.. and so does the "bat wing"

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It looks like Batman raided the Marvel Universe during the Age of X and stole some weaponry..

age-of-x.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4xDYJh8Os]Batwing Flying Down the Street!! (The Dark Knight Rises) - YouTube[/ame]

Rune

Once A Fool
Looks like it's supposed to be a VTOL or hovercraft, which, frankly, makes a lot more sense for Batman's needs than flying a jet through city streets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would have to be a VTOL- a hovercraft is a near-surface vehicle, since it rides on a cushion of air partially trapped & pressurized by a flexible skirt.

But even for a VTOL...its butt-ugly. And it doesn't look like its all that aerodynamic OR that its thrusters are properly distributed (to my non-engineer's eyes).

Rune

Once A Fool
It would have to be a VTOL- a hovercraft is a near-surface vehicle, since it rides on a cushion of air partially trapped & pressurized by a flexible skirt.

But even for a VTOL...its butt-ugly. And it doesn't look like its all that aerodynamic OR that its thrusters are properly distributed (to my non-engineer's eyes).

Well, a VTOL should have a means of converting to a propper aircraft (plane), but this doesn't look like it has wings of any sort.

That said, it looks like the arm-things have intake fans (similar to those in jet engines) in them. I wonder how that's supposed to work.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, a VTOL should have a means of converting to a propper aircraft (plane), but this doesn't look like it has wings of any sort.

That said, it looks like the arm-things have intake fans (similar to those in jet engines) in them. I wonder how that's supposed to work.

I bet they unfold in the movie. However, from what I recall- foggily- don't most VTOL have at least 3 if not 4 sources of downward vectored thrust for stability? (Some of which may be achieved via redirected & split thrust from fewer sources.)

Remove ads