• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dark Knight Rises.. and so does the "bat wing"

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It looks like Batman raided the Marvel Universe during the Age of X and stole some weaponry..

age-of-x.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4xDYJh8Os]Batwing Flying Down the Street!! (The Dark Knight Rises) - YouTube[/ame]

Rune

Once A Fool
Looks like it's supposed to be a VTOL or hovercraft, which, frankly, makes a lot more sense for Batman's needs than flying a jet through city streets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would have to be a VTOL- a hovercraft is a near-surface vehicle, since it rides on a cushion of air partially trapped & pressurized by a flexible skirt.

But even for a VTOL...its butt-ugly. And it doesn't look like its all that aerodynamic OR that its thrusters are properly distributed (to my non-engineer's eyes).

Rune

Once A Fool
It would have to be a VTOL- a hovercraft is a near-surface vehicle, since it rides on a cushion of air partially trapped & pressurized by a flexible skirt.

But even for a VTOL...its butt-ugly. And it doesn't look like its all that aerodynamic OR that its thrusters are properly distributed (to my non-engineer's eyes).

Well, a VTOL should have a means of converting to a propper aircraft (plane), but this doesn't look like it has wings of any sort.

That said, it looks like the arm-things have intake fans (similar to those in jet engines) in them. I wonder how that's supposed to work.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, a VTOL should have a means of converting to a propper aircraft (plane), but this doesn't look like it has wings of any sort.

That said, it looks like the arm-things have intake fans (similar to those in jet engines) in them. I wonder how that's supposed to work.

I bet they unfold in the movie. However, from what I recall- foggily- don't most VTOL have at least 3 if not 4 sources of downward vectored thrust for stability? (Some of which may be achieved via redirected & split thrust from fewer sources.)

Remove ads