D&D 5E The Debate of "Canon" in D&D 5E

Zardnaar

Legend
I think it's an abomination from the deepest pits of Lovecraft.

I'm fine with it, so long as it's a consequence of the players' decisions.

You decided not to stop the cult, so they summoned a Kraken that destroyed the city. That city no longer exists.

Yeah that's a bit different.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Back at you, your priorities aren't everyone priorities, and I don't have it backwards at all. I don't think your bad either, it's just that I understand Canon has practical value and problems happen when it's treated by developers, like huge fan base divisions and other problems.
I'm perfectly aware that my priorities aren't everyone's. You may have noticed I went out of my my not to demean or belittle your pov, while still disagreeing with it in parts. I agree, In a perfect world it would be awesome for the timeline and lore to align perfectly. The difference is in what we expect.

For me the lore/background is like LEGO or another buidling toy. After buying you create you want, and the cover of the box doesn't matter.

I don't like too frozen settings, but anytimes I don't like any changes.

I am afair the canon is almost stopped because the future media projects will be the ones what affect the timeline of the settings.

that is not what setting canon is for.
It's not for anything, because it doesn't exist.
You can buy eBook versions still and the Drizzt novels still come out.
Sure you can get them, but if they where even slightly popular the publishers would have reprinted them.

The vast majority of the influx of new players came through Streaming, very few of them (none that I know) have read a FR or Dragonlance novel.

Remove ads