D&D 5E The Debate of "Canon" in D&D 5E

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I thought I'd make this thread, solely because I've noticed something pretty interesting that keeps re-emerging over and over in threads across this forum for D&D, and that is the concept of "Canon."

Canon, or canonical, when applied to fiction, means events or laws that are considered "official" or "true" when in a fictional world. For Star Wars for example, the events within all the films are considered "Canonical," but the events within books written before the Disney purchase are considered "Not Canon" and did not happen.

This concept is remarkably common in fiction, especially fiction that is not written by just one author but instead by many, like the world of a video game with book tie-ins.

But for D&D, the concept of canon is... weird. And this has to do with two pretty big differences with a lot of fiction, the former being reboots, the second being "home games."

Reboots are when a world is essentially "restarted." A good example is DC Comics' New 52, when the comic company only released 52 comic lines from it's main superhero world. These 52 were all replacing not just the previous comic lines, but also the very fiction that preceded it; no piece of fact printed before could be treated as an event that the current "versions" of characters had experienced. This Batman, though still Bruce Wayne, had been restarted.

Each edition of D&D, the entire multiverse has been in effect "rebooted," though I don't think that word has ever been used. The very cosmology and order to the universe has been reshaped from edition to edition, and large changes implemented among various worlds, like Forgotten Realms in its Sunderings. Other worlds like Dark Sun get an even more traditional reboot, where events are reset into an earlier timeline, as 4E did.

So when parsing what D&D canon actually is, it seems only content published for 5E can actually be treated as truly canon, and anything published before needs to be looked at with skepticism.

The second piece of D&D canon, which throws the whole concept of canon for D&D into doubt, is that of the home-table. As many WotC writers and developers have said, although there are several "official" or "canonical" explanation for ever world and the multiverses cosmology, none of them actually impact people's hometable. Meaning, when you play a game of D&D at home, you do not impact official canon in any way; even if you're playing in Forgotten Realms, you are in effect playing in a "fan fiction" FR, one that has no impact on actual canon. For this reason, you can kill the entire Council of Waterdeep, and you're not "playing the game wrong." It is your table.

Now that I've explained canon, and it's very difficulty when applied to D&D, I'll move on to it's actual debate. That often-times, it is used as a weapon against other players, in the "bad-wrong-fun" kind of way.

Every setting has its fans, some have more than others. But as we know, there is a dark side to fandom; if you love something, and something is released that contradicts the spirit of what you like about it, some people can have visceral and negative reactions. We've all seen how people have reacted to the Star Wars prequels and new trilogy. But I've also seen comic book authors receive death threats, such as when Batman was left at the altar by Catwoman.

D&D is not immune to this. Even though D&D has so much more freedom than a normal fandom, as every table is able to create its own version of a world, and even an entirely new world entirely, people still react badly when official content seemingly contradicts their "ideal" version of the world.

Some examples;
  • Eberron fitting into the larger D&D cosmology, instead of being an entirely separate cosmology that cannot cross into other worlds.
  • Greyhawk having dragonborn and tieflings, races not mentioned in that world before 5E.
  • Forgotten Realms now having an Acquisitions Incorporated book that seemingly makes a comedy podcast canon.
  • Ravnica officially fitting into the multiverse, despite seemingly having its own cosmology withing the rules of Magic the Gathering.
  • Exandria, and by extension all of Critical Role, getting an official book, and some of its characters making it into main headline adventures (Arkhan in Avernus).

Some people love these changes. Others completely detest them. Even more are conflicted, as am I.

But perhaps worse than official content contradicting people's beliefs, is when people use that official content as proof to confirm their POVs, as evidence to use against people that they are "playing in the setting wrong" or "aren't a true X fan."

I've seen Eberron flame wars about the cosmology, about how if you "cross the streams" there you are disrespecting the setting. I've seen people yell how Ravnica and Exandria are not truly canon D&D worlds. I've seen people roil how dragonborn do not match Greyhawk, and to add them would ruin the very essence of what GH is. That how Acq. Inc. makes a mockery of Forgotten Realms. That Takhisis and Tiamat are the same god across entirely different worlds. People nitpicking lines of content to prove their own POV, running through the same cycle of rage and frustration again and again.

And now, I finish my post with a heavy heart, knowing that none of this truly matters. That at the end of the day, we return to our own table with our own friends, and play the version of the game we choose to play. And I ask a seemingly unforgiving world; why?

Why must we use canon as a weapon, when it is simply but a handy tool provided to quickstart a game?

May we all take a deep breath, and accept there is no D&D canon that needs to matter.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yup, D&D doesn't really have canon the same way Star Wars does, at least not in 5e, and really not the way some people seem to want it to. The main principle of 5e is use want you want and change the rest, and there's no room in that principle for "my truth is truer than your truth".

Zardnaar

Legend
The reason is this.

The game developers sell us fluff and that fluff is canon.

However if they can just ignore it in the next edition bit kind if makes the stuff they're trying to sell pointless.

If you don't respect the canon why should we care? If your story doesn't matter when it's convenient why should we care about your story?

I'm more in the game of go back to early days. It doesn't invalidate anything vs setting some in the future where something will become the new canon.

It upsets people when you blow stuff up. Look at 4E and it's fluff. It didn't matter how good or bad the fluff is but itwasnt the old stuff.

If it didn't replace the old stuff and was new doing it's own thing who cares?

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Some more terms:

Retcon, what happens when you change something pre-existing in a setting without providing a cause, but not to the point of a reboot. Sometimes gets misused for reversions or additions that do have a cause or which contradicts nothing previously in the setting.

Immersion, basically a the ability to suspend your disbelief and full lose yourself in a setting/Story, a kind of Story Henosis. Canon is key for this state to be achieved for many.

Shared World, a world shared by many authors and fans, canon is the lingua franca that allows this to even be a thing without dissolving into chaos.

Alternative Universes/Mirror Universes- Think Crisis of Infinate Earths or Kelvin Timeline of Star Trek (movies), sometimes gets called a soft reboot, but it's not really accurate, it's just a similar universe, within the setting's multiverse, like the Mirror Universe of Star Trek. A great way to have your cake and eat it too. Note: I am a Neopagan Neoplatonic Modual Realist in real life, I just add that for transparency sake.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd agree that canon does function as essentially an immersion lubricant for many gamers, but certainly not all. However, the index there is from book to individual table, that's what matters. Where it gets all manky is when our good friend Judgy McJudgerson steps in to chide the faithless who dare alter canon for their own tables. That guy can go jump in a lake.

Tony Vargas

Legend
D&D's Cosmology has always - in a kinda pre-Crisis/secret-wars way - left room for basically any/every-thing.
The prime material has infinite parallels, the outer planes, multiple layers that can be mutable or all but infinite, themselves. The World Axis, similarly - infinite parallel worlds, other planes infinite & mutable or subject to perception, themselves.
Landscape imposes on that, some, some settings take pains to cut themselves off from the multiverse, but that's about it.

So canon is contained w/in settings, and if it changes or ret-cons, well, that's just another alternate.

Canon has been ignored since at least the 80s. There was this letter (published in Dragon Magazine so we know it's official)

wogstrip149a.jpg

Which was later completely retconned without any regard for continuity.

From page 98 of The Adventure Begins:
Waldorf the Archmage (CN human male, Wizard 1, hp 1) is the 64 year old owner of the Roc and Oliphant Tavern. "Waldorf is notorious for his tall tales, most of which allegedly concern his past life as a deity. (He says he was eventually thrown down and made mortal by other jealous gods after a great battle in space.) He is a master storyteller for a failed wizard, and his grandiose but straightforward lies are the envy of all."

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I'd agree that canon does function as essentially an immersion lubricant for many gamers, but certainly not all. However, the index there is from book to individual table, that's what matters. Where it gets all manky is when our good friend Judgy McJudgerson steps in to chide the faithless who dare alter canon for their own tables. That guy can go jump in a lake.

You forget that for many they primarily consume the settings via novels, especially FR and Dragonlance, what happens at the table Top means nothing to them and they buy setting books to add to their knowedlege of the setting they are reading about in novels or media.

gyor

Legend

What people do at their tables is totally seperate from Canon, only official products matter for what is canon and what has to remain consistent with Canon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases