D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It's always a story. Different personalities will act different ways.
I am going to make a big carnivore right in the middle of the enemy it doesnt have to be tons of them they do not necessarily know its their ally transformed force perception checks and even one of them fails and you now have them attacking it and it does not know they are its ally in fact it has no way to know it should be their ally AND If a lot of different behaviors come into play I would be surprised. (we do not attack it of course because we know its doing our work for us)
No. I mean, how often are you going to be facing an army where you can let a T-rex loose like that?
LOL nope why would it take an army? sheesh ... you don't even have to use a t-rex... its incredibly flexible remember?

AND its so powerful you may not want to use it is a hilarious argument that it isn't over powered its double the value just offensively of Banishment (a level 4 spell) it doesnt just delay the conflict it advances it. Discounting the other uses alone. Even if it just took out another monster of its class and was killed far better than banishment (those are attacks the party isnt receiving from 2 enemies and one enemy down or even just depleted by the t-rex).

A weak encounter you don't want to use it on somehow means its not overpowered I really do not get you.

Oh and its a concentration spell if the polymorphed enemy is a pain drop your concentration.

Last edited:

Irlo

Hero
I'm not running the spell the way that I do in order to limit things. I'm running it that way because that's the way it is written. The spell causes you to become the beast in all ways EXCEPT alignment and personality. That's it. To add in memory is to house rule in another exception.
I'm a proponent of the idea that spells do what the spell descriptions say they do and no more. Polymorph describes the spell effects. Since the spell description doesn't indiate it erases memory, I suggest that it does not erase memory. (Ruling that it does erase memory adds effects to the spell that aren't in the text.) The creature can't speak, but there's nothing that indicates it loses the ability to understand speach or even writing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm a proponent of the idea that spells do what the spell descriptions say they do and no more. Polymorph describes the spell effects. Since the spell description doesn't indiate it erases memory, I suggest that it does not erase memory.
We are assuming it is transforming a person and making changes on that root... Maxperson is assuming (or saying the spell says) we start with a tabla raza base and adding on the personality and alignment of the subject... (since those were called out explicitly)

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am going to make a big carnivore right in the middle of the enemy it doesnt have to be tons of them they do not necessarily know its their ally transformed force perception checks and even one of them fails and you now have them attacking it and it does not know they are its ally in fact it has no way to know it should be their ally AND If a lot of different behaviors come into play I would be surprised. (we do not attack it of course because we know its doing our work for us)
And what do you do when they all run 60 feet and stand next to you? You're likely to get bit in the rear by the t-rex you just made. It's not going to differentiate between the small two legs that ran to you and you. You're all food.

Making an enemy in a small group that's right next to you into a t-rex is dumb. Sneaking into the middle of an army and doing it is juicy stuff.
Oh and its a concentration spell if the polymorphed enemy is a pain drop your concentration.
And they've just gotten you to waste a 4th level slot. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm a proponent of the idea that spells do what the spell descriptions say they do and no more. Polymorph describes the spell effects. Since the spell description doesn't indiate it erases memory, I suggest that it does not erase memory.
Exactly what it says it does is make you into a copy of a beast, EXCEPT for alignment and personality. There is nothing written about memory being a third exception, so it isn't.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And what do you do when they all run 60 feet and stand next to you?
they are mighty fast? the t-rex is 50 feet move speed ... but regardless I am at 90 feet as I cast the spell (and moved why stand close? does that make sense?). If we have initiative another caster (because why play a martial?) can also put out all kinds of things like a web spell into play one of my faves because cheap battlefield control (which creates difficult terrain even after you save)

Heck even just that stubborn cbe archer can use a trip attack at range to give the t-rex a reason to stop for lunch. (or use a menacing attack similarly to stop an enemy closing to accomplish a similar thing).

If you are using an enemy to attack an enemy you may have to arrange things for it to work well (I will even grant that makes for fun combat) there you go :) , the enemy might be triggering an opportunity attack from the beast when trying to close towards us ie leaving its threat of the Beast (t-rex or not) might have initiative or whatever

Letting concentration drop is just a last resort when other things failed.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
they are mighty fast? the t-rex is 50 feet move speed ... but regardless I am at 90 feet as I cast the spell (and moved why stand close? does that make sense?). If we have initiative another caster because why play a martial can also put out all kinds of things like a web spell because cheap battlefield control (which creates difficult terrain even after you save)

Heck even just that meager archer can use a trip at range to give the t-rex a reason to stop for lunch. (or use a menacing attack with it to stop an enemy closing to accomplish a similar thing)

Letting concentration drop is just a last resort.
And they moved, dashed and misty stepped to you as a bonus action. I mean, if you're lobbing polymorphs, they have abilities too. ;)

The point stands. It's not smart to create a t-rex that close to the party.

Remove ads