D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Right, but the Forgotten Realms isn't realistic. Dark Sun isn't realistic. Lankhmar isn't realistic.

None of the D&D universes are fundamentally any more realistic than the MCU.
But the realism of D&D worlds is not the same realism as MCU. In the MCU you can be a 0 level nobody(Peter Parker) and get bit by a magic spider and instantly be stronger than the Tarrasque. The Tarrasque by the lifting rules can only lift 7200 pounds. A medium creature with a 30 strength can lift 900 pounds. Double it to 1800 for large, to 3600 for huge, and max it out at 7200 for gargantuan. Spiderman can lift 20000+ pounds. Add in Spiderman's spider sense and agility, and he's better than a 20th level fighter. All with no experience points gained.

MCU and D&D worlds might have an equal amount of realism, but it's a different sort.

Vaalingrade

Legend
But the realism of D&D worlds is not the same realism as MCU. In the MCU you can be a 0 level nobody(Peter Parker) and get bit by a magic spider and instantly be stronger than the Tarrasque. The Tarrasque by the lifting rules can only lift 7200 pounds. A medium creature with a 30 strength can lift 900 pounds. Double it to 1800 for large, to 3600 for huge, and max it out at 7200 for gargantuan. Spiderman can lift 20000+ pounds. Add in Spiderman's spider sense and agility, and he's better than a 20th level fighter. All with no experience points gained.

MCU and D&D worlds might have an equal amount of realism, but it's a different sort.
Sounds like a humongous flaw in the lifting rules.

Discount Godzilla, an abominable superweapon of the divine, can only lift 3.5 tons.

For reference, on the low end a school bus weights 10,000 pounds. Biggie Mauls can't lift that.

Again, this is why we use the disingenuous 'versimilitude' instead of 'realism'

JoeyD473

Adventurer
So, this post by @James Gasik really hit home and got me thinking about something...

For some reason (I really cannot tell you why!) the last few years I've been playing 5E I've desired a "low-magic" style setting/game. I have been all of keeping it more mundane, heroic but not "superheroic", keeping magic and magical items rare, making the game gritty with easier death and harder recovery.

And I don't know WHY I have felt this way... :unsure:

I began decades ago with B/X and AD&D and I was perfectly happy up to 3rd edition with flying wizards, teleportation, and similar magic mention in the quote above. I never had any problem with mighty magic weapons and regions of mystical mysteries lost for ages, where strange and unusual were common occurrences.

But, for some unknown reason, in 5E I don't seem to want it anymore, while it is part of the game (as James says...) and has been for years.

So, I am not seeking answers, but if anyone has thoughts or wants to discuss it, please let me know. It would be nice if I could find a reason why...
I want these spells. I like these spells. But in 5e many of these spells are rituals that take 10 minutes so they aren't using resources for them which to me as a DM is a little annoying because now they only need to use spell slots for combat. Never need to save for many of the utility

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Discount Godzilla, an abominable superweapon of the divine, can only lift 3.5 tons.

For reference, on the low end a school bus weights 10,000 pounds. Biggie Mauls can't lift that.

I mean, Godzilla can't even destroy a single taxi cab. (And this is a completely humor post)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

This is the serious answer.

My post wasn't to highlight the flaws of 5e lifting, which I agree with you on by the way. It was to show that a size medium 0 level human can go from 0 to 20th level and lift 20000 pounds, and dodge bullets with ease within minutes of being bit by a magic spider. D&D doesn't encompass that sort of thing. Superheroes go waaaaaay beyond the limits of D&D, and Spiderman is only a middling power hero.

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is the serious answer.

My post wasn't to highlight the flaws of 5e lifting, which I agree with you on by the way. It was to show that a size medium 0 level human can go from 0 to 20th level and lift 20000 pounds within minutes of being bit by a magic spider. D&D doesn't encompass that sort of thing. Superheroes go waaaaaay beyond the limits of D&D, and Spiderman is only a middling power hero.
The spider was a familiar had a permanent 3e Tenser's transformation held.

Remove ads