D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Because its not what everyone wants out of a fighter, and game designers seem reluctant to create a class that would handle that archetype. Thats the real mystery to me. Maybe making such a class would be too close to admitting the game has shifted genres to superhero.

It's possible they know a lot about their audience, and a handful of posters on the internet are not representative.

Or I could be wrong, and this could in fact all be driven by malice and incompetence. Anything's possible.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Also, the problem with the superhero label is it's so broad and encompasses so much ground that it's basically meaningless!
But its is a valuable emotional button to press for people who think every superhero is a parody of Superman and also Superman is a parody of Superman.

Bill Zebub

Because some people insist on realism-rooted martials existing in imaginary magical universes.

Ok, so, yes, it's possible to create a sentence that uses both "realism" and "imaginary".

But I asked, "in what universe is it realistic..." and people answered "Marvel! DC!" Those are not universes I would describe as realistic. But YMMV.

Bill Zebub

But its is a valuable emotional button to press for people who think every superhero is a parody of Superman and also Superman is a parody of Superman.

Is that dismissing the opinions of people who want realistic martials as reactions to "emotional button pushing", instead of simply valid aesthetic preference?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Is that dismissing the opinions of people who want realistic martials as reactions to "emotional button pushing", instead of simply valid aesthetic preference?
It's dismissing the constant use of 'superhero' as a pejorative attempting in vain to imply immortality/invincibility.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Ok, so, yes, it's possible to create a sentence that uses both "realism" and "imaginary".

But I asked, "in what universe is it realistic..." and people answered "Marvel! DC!" Those are not universes I would describe as realistic. But YMMV.
Right, but the Forgotten Realms isn't realistic. Dark Sun isn't realistic. Lankhmar isn't realistic.

None of the D&D universes are fundamentally any more realistic than the MCU.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Because some people insist on realism-rooted martials existing in imaginary magical universes.

Using "magical universe" as a catch-all seems to have the same problem as using "super hero" to describe power level.

For magical universes...

Some have diseases still spread by rules that seem like viruses and bacteria, others don't. Some have physics and gravity working like the real world, others don't. Some have wounds and infection work like the real world, others don't. Some have vision working like in real life others have it seemingly work like extramission. Some allow seeing in the dark without calling on further ranges of the spectrum (infra/ulta) and some use those to do it. Some have gun-powder and some modify physics so it doesn't work. Some have insects eat dead plants and animals and others are Pokemon. And some have the capabilities of people that aren't explicitly magical ostensibly work like real world people and some don't.

... and I'm guessing we all have our own preferences.

Right, but the Forgotten Realms isn't realistic. Dark Sun isn't realistic. Lankhmar isn't realistic.

None of the D&D universes are fundamentally any more realistic than the MCU.

In fiction, it feels to me like the more rules that are chucked to the side (edit: ..., modified, or thoughtfully altered) changes things for the reader and what they expect to come next. And that some worlds would be called "more realistic" than others and a lot of people would know what was meant by that in a general way -- even if they both had some magic in them.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases