The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

shilsen

Adventurer
Mahtave said:
Damn. Too bad no one thought to cast clarity or mind blank. Guess they are going to need some more spellcasters in their group; of course if things don't change soon the group will a be a lot smaller anyways... Although it looks like Varo is still out there somewhere.. :)
You don't have to go that high level. A simple Magic Circle vs. X would have been enough.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Mahtave said:
Damn. Too bad no one thought to cast clarity or mind blank. Guess they are going to need some more spellcasters in their group; of course if things don't change soon the group will a be a lot smaller anyways... Although it looks like Varo is still out there somewhere.. :)
Clarity is a non-core spell that I do not have access to, and there isn't anyone in the group at the moment who can cast mind blank.
shilsen said:
You don't have to go that high level. A simple Magic Circle vs. X would have been enough.
For some reason Magic Circle isn't on the Healer spell list. I suppose I should have had her memorize a few protection from evil spells though.

But then, of course, we would have missed Talen vs. Dar: the rematch.

As for Varo, I guess I should have reread the protection from evil spell description; I didn't realize that the mind-protection element worked exclusive of alignment. He doesn't take any spells with the [good] descriptor, but any alternative would have been as effective in this case, apparently. Oh well. In any case it would have only protected Letellia, since Allera and Dar were more than 10' away when Dar was dominated.

Next update later today.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 334

THRALLS OF THE OVERMIND

“Shay, keep that bitch busy,” Talen said, grimacing as his blackened skin cracked with his movement. As the scout hastened off to confront Letellia, he turned to face Dar, who was approaching slowly. The fighter too moved somewhat awkwardly, as if he was resisting the Overmind’s touch. Or maybe it was just that the vat of dead brains was not used to controlling human bodies directly. Either way, Talen knew that nothing short of death was going to stop his foe, this time.

“So be it,” he said.

“The Overmind is our foe,” Varo said, seeming to appear out of nowhere as he approached from the left. The cleric was in poor shape, limping slightly and with char covering the clothes on the left side of his body. He drew upon his magic, and healing power flowed into him.

Talen acknowledged him with a nod. “Can you stop him?” he said, indicating the approaching fighter.

“I will try,” Varo said. But he merely stepped forward a few paces, stopping in the path that Dar would have to take to get to Talen. The cleric clutched his divine focus, and calmly drew upon the power of his patron.

Talen glanced at Calla. “If he gets past the priest, do your best to delay him.”

“Yes, master.”

Talen turned and headed once more for the Overmind.

Allera groaned, and lifted her head from the cold stone. The taste of blood was in her mouth; her own blood. Memory came back; Dar had struck her, hard, but not before she’d seen the change in his eyes. He’d fought off the mind flayer’s charm, to protect her, but this was different; the hand that had struck her had not been his to control. She was lucky that she been so close to him; had he had room to swing Valor, she might not have waken at all.

She’d been healed; she recognized the aftereffects of a cure spell as well as she knew her own name. Varo... she saw him now, facing Dar, who was closing the distance between them quickly. The cleric met her eyes briefly, and she saw something there, a silent message that she somehow was able to understand. One word flashed in her mind: duty.

She pulled herself to her feet, and started moving.

Shaylara screamed as a streak of hot fire blasted her side. She threw herself forward, and the second scorching ray passed harmlessly past her. Letellia was tracking her movements, and the third blast caught her on the leg, crinkling the gray, lifeless flesh under her armor. Shay grimaced, but came up into a run, finishing the curving arc she’d taken in her charge toward the enthralled sorceress. Letellia was casting another spell, but Shay was too close, now. Her spear shot out, piercing the woman’s shoulder. But Letellia was still protected by her stoneskin, and the wound, while serious, was not enough to take her down quickly.

Shay was ready for the woman’s next gambit, and when the scorching rays came again, the scout was diving to the side. She avoided the first two blasts, and the last caught her only a glancing blow, searing the flesh of her left ear, and scorching the surrounding skin. And then she was clear, and leaping. Letellia tried to draw back, but Shay was on her before she could escape, dropping her spear as she seized the smaller woman in a neck hold.

“Yield, spell-weaver.” But Letellia did not stop fighting. Shay remembered at the last moment Letellia’s particular talents in escaping holds, and she clasped her hand over the woman’s mouth to keep her from invoking her magic. Letellia was protected with a death ward, and Shay could not drain her life energy through the grapple. But she was far stronger, and Letellia could not break free. Still she fought, scratching at Shay’s arms and head with her nails.

Shay dropped her jaws to the woman’s neck, but Letellia’s stoneskin foiled the vampire’s bite. Shay chuckled, and tightened her grasp on the woman’s neck, cutting off her supply of air. She maintained the hold until the woman went limp in her grasp, unconscious.

Dar barely seemed to notice Varo until he was almost atop the man. Varo did not try to reason with him, bringing up his shield in a defensive stance. Dar swung Valor, and the cleric grunted as the blade smashed against his shield, hard enough to dent the magical steel. The axiomatic sword rebounded and started to come down again, this time aimed at the cleric’s throat. But Varo was faster, reaching in and placing his hand upon the fighter’s chest. Magical energy flared, and Dar staggered as the cleric’s dispel evil spell brought lucidity back to his eyes.

But only for a moment. “I cannot fight it,” Dar said, his body trembling.

“I understand,” Varo said. He reached down and seized Valor; the men’s eyes met, and Dar released his grip on the sword. Varo did not hesitate, hurling the weapon across the chamber.

Dar cried out and seized the cleric, hurling him roughly aside. Varo went down, sliding on the smooth stone. The fighter started toward the pillars, but the willowy, black-clad girl appeared in his path.

“No you don’t, big man,” Calla said. Her jaw had healed enough for the words to be clear, but she still looked ragged.

He walked forward, but the lithe girl blurred as she lunged at him, her lips drawn back to reveal her long ivory fangs. But for all the vampire spawn’s unnatural speed and agility, Dar was faster. He whipped his hand back and unslung his club in a single smooth motion. The heavy weapon smashed hard into the junction where her neck met her left shoulder, and she crumpled to the floor, clawing at the bare stone as she struggled unsuccessfully to rise.

Talen screamed as the blue glow protecting the Overmind threw him back once more. This time he’d gotten close enough to look into the pool, where lumps of corrupt matter floated in a dense slick of black fluid. Even in his unlife state he could sense the potency that blazed off it like the light of a sun. He was not sure how he could hurt a thing like this, a soulless entity that lacked flesh and muscle and bone.

Still, he tried.

He hit the ground and rolled, grimacing as the tendrils of blue energy danced across his back. He could get no further, and the blue glow protected it against magic.

Then he saw Allera step into the ring of pillars. The healer’s face was tight with concentration, and Talen could see beads of sweat mingling with the blood that slicked her face. Her holy aura had faded, and he knew that the full force of the Overmind’s will had to be smashing against her mind.

Talen heard a noise to his left, beyond the pillars, and saw Calla go down. Dar no longer held Valor, but he was clutching that damned big club of his, and it was pretty obvious what his objective was. As he glanced back, he saw that Allera saw it too. She held his eyes with a surprising strength of focus.

“Swear to me, that you will not kill him.”

Talen’s mouth started to twist into a smirk, but there was something in her that gave him pause. He was no longer a knight, or even a man; what meaning did his word have now? But she would not release him, and he realized that the words, while meaningless to him, were necessary for her to go on.

“So be it,” he said, sliding his sword back into its scabbard. He turned to the pillars to face Dar, flexing his fingers within his gauntlets. Behind him, Allera turned and plunged into the blue glow that surrounded the basin of the Overmind. He waited for her to cry out, to see her driven back as he had been, but she vanished into that aura, and did not return.

And then he had to focus on Dar.

“I swore to let you live,” Talen said to him. “But I made no promises that you would not hurt.”

The fighter swung the heavy club as soon as he was within reach. For a moment it looked like the blow would crush Talen’s left arm against his body, but the vampire had been ready for the attack, and he stepped back smoothly, and the club flashed through empty air. Talen slid forward in its wake, and smashed the fighter across the front of his helm, hard enough to snap his head around to the left. Dar stumbled back a step; his helmet had absorbed only a little of the force of Talen’s strike.

“Done already?” Talen asked, chuckling as he stepped forward to finish him off.

Dar came up with surprising speed, driving the head of his club into Talen’s side with enough force to crack the bone. Too late, Talen realized that Dar had been feigning more serious injury to lure him in. The knight tried to grab the weapon, relying on his superior strength to pry it free of Dar’s grasp, but the fighter shifted and smacked the end of the haft hard into Talen’s forehead. Now it was the vampire that staggered back, and he could not defend himself from a third blow that caromed solidly into the center of his breastplate, driving him back into the nearest pillar with enough force to crack the ancient stone. His vision blurred, and for a moment the only thing he could hear was the omnipresent buzzing of the Overmind’s power.

And then his senses cleared, just in time for him to see Dar’s club descending toward his skull.

Burningspear

First Post
Lazybones said:
Clarity I suppose I should have had her memorize a few protection from evil spells though.

Does that mean all your characters are just run by one person?, you?...

that does take a bit of the fun out of the background feeling i had for the story :(
(its just i like the idea of different ppl behind each and every character)

but it does not make your writing quality any less, superb! do continue!

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Burningspear said:
Does that mean all your characters are just run by one person?, you?...

I guess you weren't paying attention to the fact that this Story Hour has the "Fiction" tag, or the bit in the first post which says, "Like my previous stories, this one is entirely fiction, although rooted in the D&D 3.5e rule system."

Burningspear

First Post
shilsen said:
I guess you weren't paying attention to the fact that this Story Hour has the "Fiction" tag, or the bit in the first post which says, "Like my previous stories, this one is entirely fiction, although rooted in the D&D 3.5e rule system."

Nope, i did not, i just started reading and never pay attention to 'tags'...

Lazybones

Adventurer
Well, I'm glad I was able to present each character as distinct. The only groups I've been playing D&D with lately are my two Neverwinter Nights campaigns, which have been going for six and five years respectively. I saved all the logs from those games, and have toyed with the idea of someday turning them into a story.

Update tomorrow.

Burningspear

First Post
Lazybones said:
Well, I'm glad I was able to present each character as distinct. The only groups I've been playing D&D with lately are my two Neverwinter Nights campaigns, which have been going for six and five years respectively. I saved all the logs from those games, and have toyed with the idea of someday turning them into a story.

Update tomorrow.

well, i agree that the quality is good, and i still love Varo mostly.. the other possible stories would just be more icing on the cake, lol.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 335

THE POWER OF LIFE AND DEATH

Allera lost all sense of sight and surroundings as she pushed deeper into the ring of fire. Blue flickers danced along her arms and legs, burning her flesh. They stabbed into her cheeks, and tortured the skin around her eyes. She could not see; for all she knew, she had been blinded.

Power smashed into her like a battering ram, missiles hurled from siege engines crafted of mental potency and dark evil. The Overmind was... awesome, the strength of its will greater than that of the demons she’d battled, stronger than the clerics of Orcus, stronger even than Maphistal. She knew that if she faltered, even for an instant, that power would sweep away everything that she was.

But she had power of her own, and the healing flowed through her body at her command, easing the pain of her wounds even as the blue crackles burned new ones into her flesh. Her holy aura had faded, the protective ward expired, leaving her only with her own inner strength. But that strength had carried her through terrors darker than any nightmare, and had forged her own will into a suit of armor that withstood the Overmind’s assault.

It could not hold forever, she knew.

Awareness other than sight made her know when she was there. It was the thing before her, floating in a black brine of concentrated corruption. It was dead and not dead, but wholly throughout, she could feel the negative energy coursing through its substance.

Well. That, she could fight.

The first flickers of power faded as they reached tenuously from her into the blue fire. The Overmind was strong, and she was just a mortal woman, for all her magic.

No. That was not the way, a whisper from it to undermine her, to bring her low.

And if she failed, they would all die. Dar, already thrall to it, his life snuffed out like those of her friends...

She bent forward, and thrust her hands into the foul liquid that filled the basin.

Pain. It made the earlier blasts feel like soft caresses. This was pure, vicious, penetrating into her body and through it into her brain like icy needles. One not trained to withstand it, one not conditioned to the suffering of the flesh, could not have withstood it. Allera was nearly driven mad in that one instant.

But who she was, what she was, anchored her, and once more she called upon her power, letting it fill her before she poured it into the basin in a violent deluge.

Talen thought he was at his end, as Dar’s club came down in a blur toward his head. His body continued to repair the damage it had suffered, but he’d taken too much damage in the course of the battle, and the multiple hits he’d withstood from the fighter had been too much even for his improved body to withstand. He no longer feared death, but it was galling, to be undone by him. And, of course, the Overmind’s victory would spell an end to his dreams of revenge upon the Demon.

But then, power flooded into him, a sweet, delicious surge of... life. He laughed as it filled him, and he straightened as his lassitude fled like a breath of wind. Dar’s club still struck him, crashing down hard into his shoulder, but the pain from the impact was just a fleeting weakness.

Dar immediately lifted his club to strike again, but Talen got to him before the blow could land, seizing the club. The two fought for it for a long moment, Dar’s muscled thews fighting against the unnatural power in Talen’s unliving body. But finally the vampire won, and he hurled the fighter to the ground as he tore the weapon from his hands.

“My thanks,” Talen said to Varo, who’d been standing behind them. He adjusted his grip on the club, until his hands were tight around the thin end of the weapon. Dar was already getting up. He was moving slower now; perhaps he’d been hurt more than Talen had first assumed.

“He does not control his own actions,” Varo said, as Dar fumbled for the punching dagger riding at his hip.

“Do not fear, priest, I will let him live. I gave my word.” He laughed as Dar came forward, his punching dagger clutched tightly in his right hand.

Talen lifted the club to bring him down, but the blow never landed.

Allera kept pouring healing power into the pool. The punishing nimbus of energy that surrounded the Overmind melded with the glow of positive energy that she summoned, flaring out from around her like a bright azure sun. Within that radiance, Allera felt her grip on consciousness fluttering like a trapped bird. Her head pounded with the mental shrieks of the entity she was attacking, and the flares of energy that continued to lash at her cut into her flesh like knives. Her hands, immersed in the pool, had gone numb. But she spared only a tiny fraction of the healing she worked for herself, focusing the majority of it into the pool, cleansing the corruption that filled it.

Dar screamed and clutched his head, his dagger clattering to the floor as he fell to his knees. Talen checked his swing but remained wary of another trick. But a moment later a massive explosion of light and energy erupted around the pool, enveloping all of them.

“What’s happening?” Talen yelled. He drew back, blinded by the blast.

“It’s Allera!” Varo replied.

The display ended abruptly, along with the blue glow, leaving the area within the pillars utterly dark save for the flickers of the everburning torch thrust through Dar’s belt. The fighter had collapsed, blasted into unconsciousness by his ordeal. Varo rushed toward the pool, and after a moment, Talen followed him. Allera lay against the edge of the basin, slumped over the rim, and as Varo reached her she fell back, groaning. The cleric eased her to the ground, summoning a healing spell. Her skin was... devastated, black marks covering her arms, face, and neck. Her hands were blackened claws, blood oozing where the skin had cracked.

“Is it destroyed?”

Varo looked up at Talen. Shay had joined him. Behind them, the cleric saw Calla, still grievously injured, drift over to where Dar lay insensate upon the floor. Talen followed his eyes, and looked back. The girl’s face was still a ruin, but Varo could see the feral, hungry look in her eyes. Of Talen’s four bandits there was no sign; the gaseous remnants had departed.

“I sense nothing at all,” Varo said. Talen turned back to face him. His stare was cold, utterly cold, and Varo tensed for a moment. But then the fallen knight made a slashing movement with his hand, and the vampire girl drew back from the unconscious fighter, slinking over to a spot behind her master. “Is Letellia all right?”

“She’s still breathing,” Shay said.

Talen glanced down at Allera. “Aren’t you going to heal her?”

Varo unclenched his hand; it had been holding his divine focus tightly enough to leave marks upon his fingers. Summoning his power, he trickled life-giving positive energy into the healer, while in the basin, the inert chunks of matter that had been part of the Overmind drifted aimlessly in the black murk of the pool.

Remove ads