• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Ha! Just caught up with your new Story Hour, Lazybones. That comes from only using your bookmarks and not browsing the SH forum...

Great & interesting characters so far, you can feel they have a history and want to find out what it is. Everyone knows you are hard on your characters, Lazybones, but making them enter this dungeon horror without equipment was mean even for you. Anyway, the most interesting have survived (I was also kind of rooting for the general, but he might turn up again, after all, if only as a zombie).

Well, you got me hooked again! That last betrayal was especially fantastic! Please keep it up & thanks for another great story. Just one request: Please bring back Dungie from time to time !!!

HugeOgre

First Post
Richard Rawen said:
...nobody can Really Count On anyone else unless they are desperately afraid of them... and even then there's no guarantees.

I know what you mean, as the guy was on the steep stairs I just kept thinking his subordinate was going to show back up and help him down.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I'm happy that you guys enjoyed the perspective of the bad guys. I try to put at least some of that into every one of my stories. Coming up with a way to handle the cult of Orcus was a challenge; there really isn't much about internal politics between the various temples in the module, unlike, say, in the Shackled City series. I've been trying to take little hooks that are in the module, like the powerful evil book located in a random priest's chest, and work them into the larger plot arc. I'm glad it was effective in this case. I agree that it's much easier to handle LE villains than CE, at least in terms of establishing an effective internal consistency, but then again, CE opens up some interesting possibilities as well.

More on that later. ;)

jfaller said:
Trying to figure out where this story is going is like successfully untying the Gordian Knot with one hand. (oh...and w/out a sword ;-)
Glad I can keep a few surprises coming... my readers are notorious for figuring out my plot twists in advance, but I can usually slip a few OMG moments in. :D
Neverwinter Knight said:
Ha! Just caught up with your new Story Hour, Lazybones. That comes from only using your bookmarks and not browsing the SH forum...
Nice that you found us at last, NWK! I'm very pleased with the reception that this story has gotten thus far.

Richard Rawen said:
Now how is Varo going to handle Aelos?
Let's find out!

Chapter 54

AN UNPLEASANT DIALOGUE

“The Great Lord will feast upon your souls,” Aelos said. Or rather, slurred, for it was difficult for the cleric to speak clearly with his jaw broken and blood spraying from his lips with every syllable. They were in the room where they’d battled the wights earlier, gathered on the far side of the cavern with their lights carefully shaded in an effort to reduce the chance of discovery.

“The Great Lord can kiss my hairy white ass,” Dar said. “Tell us what you know, priest!”

Aelos managed to laugh, a grisly sight given his mangled appearance. “To the Abyss with you... you’ll be there soon enough.”

The fighter lifted a mailed fist, but Varo stopped him. “Enough. He is not going to talk.”

“Maybe if I start taking fingers...”

“No... stop,” Allera said. She’d gone across the room, but could not stay away; the suffering of a living, sentient creature kept bringing her back. “We cannot do this... Talen, you have to stop them.”

The captain only stood there, his face a mask of stone.

Varo held up his hand. “No, she’s right,” he said. “Pain, or even the threat of death, will not avail you against one such as him. I could break him, given time and patience, but those are things that we do not have in quantities at the moment.”

“What do you suggest?” Dar asked.

“His crimes merit a sentence of death,” Varo said. He looked over his shoulder. “Am I within the law, captain?”

Talen nodded. Allera turned away.

“All right, now you’re talking,” Dar said, reaching for the priest. With his legs bound uncomfortably beneath him, and his arms stretched tight behind his back, there was nothing Aelos could do to resist.

“My master will welcome me with open arms,” the priest said.

“Yeah, well, tell him I’m coming to kick his fat ass,” Dar said.

The priest spit a gob of bloody spittle into the fighter’s face. Dar smashed him across the face, and he collapsed, unconscious again.

“He may as well be of some use to us, even in death,” Varo said.

“What are you saying?” Talen said, but it was clear in his eyes that he had a good idea.

“Feed him to the otyugh,” Varo said. “It ensures that he will not be raised, and perhaps Max will have something else to offer us in exchange. In any case, I’d feel better with that creature between us and the temple. We can rest and plan our next move from the ogre chamber.”

Talen looked at Varo for a long minute. “You are a cold man, priest.”

“I do what needs to be done. You have been here long enough to know what is at stake, soldier of Camar.”

Talen, troubled, turned away and did not respond.

Varo nodded to Dar. “Take him up.” He took the cleric’s staff; they’d already looted his other possessions, including a ring that Varo said had likely masked his true aura from magical detection.

“You here that, you evil bastard?” Dar said, shaking the cleric. “You’re going to be breakfast!” Aelos, still unconscious, did not respond.

Allera, her eyes wide, watched as the two men dragged their bound captive toward the rat tunnel that led back to the otyugh’s cavern.

Talen started after them, but Allera stopped him with a hand on his arm. “Talen, what’s happening to us?”

The captain sighed. “We are becoming what we are fighting against,” he said. Then he turned away from her, and continued after the others.

Allera stood there for a moment as the darkness started to close around her. Then, wiping her face clean of tears, she followed after them.

Rhun

First Post
When faced with great evil, one must become evil to survive, eh? Another great post, LB. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Richard Rawen

First Post
jfaller said:
"The way that Shadow behaved..."

That was no shadow...it was a spectre. PURE nastiness.

Oh . . . duh, oops?! Thanks for the catch, not sure how I read 'shadow' right over that?

In response to the idea that the 'good guys' are becoming 'evil'...
Honestly looking at the four survivors:
Varo - isn't adjusting at all - this is just who he is. Of course he is evil...

Dar - very similar to Varo, without the blatant demon worshipping part, but he is surviving and I do not see much of a personality shift from what LB has revealed to us thus far.

Allera - other than passively allowing a traitor who would gladly have tortured her to death (or worse) to be taken (unconscious) to his just death (eaten alive - eww), I do not see her as having adjusted at all. True, the use of a live human to feed a monster is an evil act, yet considering their environment, the possiblity of having an raised or even undead Aelos come after them is just too much to risk. She might be the most vulnerable to being affected by all of this nastiness, but I think she is a very strong person - look at how she walked right into that big brawl, and even after her Sanctuary failed, she stayed in there doing her job...

Talen - he's a soldier - a veteran of the brutality of medieval style warfare - I do not think he is adjusting much either really. I've read stories of vets who survived by using their fallen comrades as shields or to escape notice. More to the point generals have sent soldiers, even entire companies, out to probe a deadly foe - knowing full well that a majority would most likely not survive. Soldiering is not for the squeamish.

Well LB did you ever expect to start a moral/ethics discussion with this one? Regardless it is a really Fun Read! Thanks again.

monboesen

Explorer
Yeah well. The D&D style of Good only works in a protected environment. It breaks down quickly when confronted with realistic problems.

Like for instance.... prisoners that you can't let go and don't have the means to imprison or bring to justice.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Richard Rawen said:
Well LB did you ever expect to start a moral/ethics discussion with this one? Regardless it is a really Fun Read! Thanks again.
Heh, given how the story has developed, I'm surprised it took this long. :D

Chapter 55

GUARDS AND WARDS

The two guards did not consider themselves friends; that was a sentiment that rarely existed within the ranks of the cult of Orcus. Brenaith Goodwyn and Nunciato Callas were the names given to them by their respective parents, but those too the pair had left behind, replaced by new names given to them on the day that they swore allegiance to the Demon Prince. They were young, still in their mid-twenties, but no less corrupt for that. Each had participated in numerous atrocities, crimes against man and nature, but were yet mere acolytes within the ranks of the demon lord’s servitors, their nascent talents just starting to awaken with the power of their dread patron. As such, they drew unpleasant duties, such as keeping guard in dank chambers.

For hours, the pair stood there in silence, flanking the door that led to the priest quarters. A pair of everburning torches set in sconces cast a wavering illumination over the chamber. The two guards, clad in robes the color of ink, were almost invisible shadows in the flickering light.

“Our relief is late,” one of them said.

“Go complain,” the other shot back. “If you’re lucky, Zehn will just offer your testicles to the True God at the next darknight ritual.”

The first guard glowered, but did not respond.

“Hsst,” the second said a moment later. “Did you hear that?”

“I heard nothing,” the first whispered back. But both men had taken heavy maces out from under their robes. They warily watched the passage mouth on the far side of the room. One of the torches had been placed to shine into that opening, but the corridor continued only a short distance back before it bent sharply to the left.

“There, movement!” one of them warned. Both acolytes peered forward...

... and saw a small brown rat creep into the light. It looked at the acolytes, and lifted its head to sniff the air.

“I’d say we’d better not report this particular intrusion,” the first acolyte said. The second chuckled, and lifted his weapon. “I’ll teach the little bugger to assail the temple of the True God,” he said, starting forward.

But he had barely covered two steps when an armored archer stepped around the corner, lifted his bow, and fired.

The arrow flew into the acolyte’s shoulder, staggering him. Strangely, both the impact and his movements after were utterly and completely silent.

The other acolyte opened his mouth to shout a warning, but again nothing but silence came out. Recognizing the effects of a silence spell, he turned to the door behind him, yanking hard on the handle. It resisted him, sticking in the frame, but with a furious heave he ripped it open.

Glancing over his shoulder, he saw another heavily armed warrior charging toward him with a big club lifted over his head.

The young servant of Orcus had witnessed horrible things since swearing his life to the service of Darkness, but he still felt his bowels turn to water as the sight of the onrushing fighter. Knowing that the radius of the enemy spell was limited, he darted into the narrow passage beyond the door. He could see the sleeping quarters ahead at the end of the passage, lit by a soft, warm light. There was a ward by the entry, but it would recognize him as one of its own, and let him pass. All he had to do was get out of the range of the silence, and then yell for help...

He suddenly heard his rough breathing again, which sounded startlingly loud in the close confines of the tunnel. He opened his mouth to shout...

The last thing he heard was the sound of his spine being snapped in two.

Talen ducked the cleric’s swing. The man looked strong enough; he’d taken an arrow to the shoulder and still managed to fight. But he wasn’t well trained, and the veteran soldier easily avoided the blow. Placing his feet, he drove half of the length of his sword into the enemy priest’s body. The young man’s eyes widened, and he slumped to the ground.

He saw that Dar had taken down the other guard. Within the aura of silence, he couldn’t tell if an alarm had been sounded, but by the way that Dar knelt beside the body to check it, he guessed not. Reaching down, he grabbed the shaft of the arrow jutting from the dead man’s shoulder, and snapped off its end.

Glancing back, he saw Allera and Varo entered the room behind him. Taking the enchanted arrow with him, he ran silently toward Dar. The fighter glanced back at him, and smiled.

Talen saw another man dressed in a cultist robe step into view. The man’s eyes widened in surprise and alarm. Unable to warn Dar, he pointed.

The fighter shot forward, even as the cultist shouted a desperate warning. There wasn’t much space between them, but as he charged forward an explosion of fire filled the narrow confines of the passageway. The flare lasted only a second, and even as it faded Dar burst through, his exposed skin blasted from the release of power from the glyph of warding. The acolyte tried to dodge back, but Dar drove his club hard into his gut, knocking him off his feet. The evil cleric fell to the ground, gasping for breath as he clutched his ruptured stomach.

Dar turned to the side and moved out of view, deeper into the room. Talen could only rush after the fighter. He emerged into a scene of chaos.

The room was occupied by over half-dozen clerics, some armed and ready, others just getting up from bedrolls along the walls. One of the beds in the center was occupied by a bearded priest who had the dusky gray skin of an Emorite; as he rose Talen could see that his torso was covered with a web of crawling, demonic tattoos. Recovering quickly, he saw Talen and reached for the morningstar laid against the head of the bed.

Talen beat him to it, slashing him across his bare chest with his sword. The Emorite grimaced and tried to cast a spell, recognizing too late that he was engulfed within a silence aura.

Dar was unleashing holy hell upon the other clerics. Two were already down, clutching broken bones and crushed ribs. Another three were attacking him all-out, while two others were casting spells in the back of the room, beyond the radius of the silence surrounding Talen.

Talen saw another man stagger to his feet from the last row of beds. As his blanket fell from his naked body, the captain saw that he was covered in oozing wounds, a bloody mess of cuts that covered almost every inch of him from head to toe. Talen could not see how he could even stand, but he did, and he made his way toward the exit door, leaving bloody smudges on the floor with each step.

Out of reflex, the captain started to shout to Dar, to alert him to the escapee, only to again belatedly remember the silence. He rushed after the man himself, but only got one step before the man he’d just wounded leapt at him in a flying tackle. Talen kept his footing only barely, but the man held onto him, his eyes burning with madness and fury.

Varo and Allera rushed into the room, weapons at the ready. Varo pointed to Talen, and Allera moved to help him. Varo started to move around the melee toward the door and the fleeing man, but the last two clerics charged to meet him in the center of the room, forcing him to turn aside.

The injured man reached the door and pulled it open, vanishing into the corridor beyond.

Dar took a hit across the shoulders, the cleric’s heavy mace hurting him even through his armor. He grimaced and spun around, clipping his foe heavily on the arm with his club. The cleric dropped his weapon, but immediately leapt at Dar, trying to grapple him while his companions attacked him from behind. But Dar merely caught up the man by the front of his robe, and hurled him into one of his fellows. Both priests fell down hard in a tangle of limbs. Dar smiled and lifted his club, slapping it against his hand as he met the last priest’s eyes in a silent stare.

You’re next, he mouthed.

Allera thrust her shortspear at the unarmored cleric. She only managed a grazing wound, but it distracted him enough for Talen to pull free and whip up his sword in a tight arc. The keen elvish blade sliced through the unholy cleric’s arm, taking it off at the elbow. Blood poured from the terrible wound, but the priest, his eyes glazed over with madness, merely leapt at Talen again, trying to gouge out his eyes with his remaining hand.

The clerics fought with an insane fanaticism, but it was becoming increasingly clear that they were far outmatched. Dar took down his foe and spun to face the two he’d knocked down, sending one flying with a pulverizing blow that send him spinning wildly in mid-air. He swiveled to catch the second with his follow-through, but one of the dying acolytes on the floor grabbed him around his left knee, knocking off his balance. The cleric exploited that opportunity, leaping onto him, sending both falling over one of the beds.

Unfortunately for the cleric, the advantage proved only temporary. Even as he started to wrap his hands around Dar’s throat, the fighter calmly drew his punching dagger, and slammed it twice to the hilt into the man’s body. The acolyte, his fingers still probing for a grip, slumped onto him, bleeding out his lifeblood onto his would-be victim.

Talen’s foe had continued to attack, but with blood pouring down his bare torso, and missing an arm, it was only a matter of time before he went down for good. Varo held his position against his two foes, engaging in a rare stretch of armed melee, but really just holding his ground until the fighters could join the battle. The cleric took only one hit, a glancing blow that grazed his left bicep, but then Talen and Dar fell upon them from behind, and that was that.

The four gathered in the middle of the room, surrounded by bodies. Varo gestured to Talen, who took the enchanted arrow out of his pocket and tossed it across the room. As soon as it cleared the beds, they could speak and hear again. A few of the dying clerics moaned in pain as they messily gave up the last of their lives, but none were able to offer any further resistance.

“Round one to us,” Dar said. He was bleeding from a few wounds, and his face was blackened where the glyph had burned him, but Allera healed him, and within a few seconds vitality had surged back into his body, bringing him back to full strength.

“One escaped,” Talen said.

“We must continue to press them,” Varo said, “While the initiative is still ours.”

The door on the other side of the room was still open, revealing another corridor beyond. The passage was broad, almost twelve feet wide, with walls of utterly smooth black rock, and an arched ceiling ten feet above. As they moved warily forward, they saw that the corridor ended in a pair of huge doors of black stone. The doors were intricately carved with scenes of demons tormenting mortal souls. As they drew nearer, their light sources played shadows across these carvings, making them seem almost alive.

“Foulness,” Allera said, looking away from the doors.

Dar shrugged and started toward the nearer, but Varo stopped him with a raised hand.

“Hold,” he said. “They are almost certainly warded against intrusion.”

“Every second we delay gives them time to prepare a defense,” Talen said.

“This will not take long. I am going to disguise my appearance,” Varo said. “Then I will summon creatures that will challenge the door. Follow the creatures, but do not get in their way. Do not charge blindly in, and do not let yourselves get cut off from the exit. If seriously injured, fall back to the entry, if you can; Allera, you should be ready to use your skills if it is needed.”

The healer nodded. “I am ready.”

If the enemy is overwhelming, we will need to retreat and wait for another chance. That narrow passage beyond the bedchamber can be held easily by one man against many; we can fall back there if needed.”

Talen nodded. “A good plan, priest.” He looked at Dar. “Keep an eye on my back, mercenary.”

“You just watch what’s ahead of you, captain.”

Varo took a step back and began casting. His form shimmered and became indistinct; a moment later it was replaced by the form of the Emorite underpriest Talen had just killed, accurate down to the bloody gash across his bare chest. Without pause he moved into a second spell, reaching out through his divine connection across the planes of existence, summoning aid.

Wisps of ugly gray fog appeared before the cleric, materializing into the form of a pair of muscled, fiendish apes. They looked at Varo, who pointed to the doors, and grunted a command. The summoned creatures moved to his bidding, heaving at the heavy portals with their considerable mass and strength. The doors opened; something shimmered between them, a wave of energy that was there and gone in a flash. Whatever it was, the apes clearly survived it, moving ahead into the space beyond.

The companions had a chance to see a massive chamber, dominated by a tall platform in the middle.

Then chaos erupted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads