• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Poor Allera - and she isn't even an arcane spellcaster...

I have the feeling that Dar & co. will be too late. In this case, I think Dar would go on a berserker rage through the dungeon. :) At least there are lots of things to hack and slash in Rappan Athuk. :]

Richard Rawen

First Post
Aramis Simara said:
Great updates LB.

I'm going to cast a vote for Shaylara as the spy in the group. Just a gut feeling.

Why Shay? Perhaps a doppleganger (greater?) or Dominated... perhaps Magic Jar?

Or a true enemy, involved from the very start perhaps? It would certainly explain the escape and such...

Again, it seems almost too obvious. Perhaps Dar is the traitor!? Heh heh... wouldn't it be funny if there was in fact no traitor this time... just to mess with us . . . and them!!? :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 92

THE RIVER TREK

The sound of the water rushing beneath their feet echoed loudly through the close confines of the tunnel, as the companions from Camar made their way deeper into Rappan Athuk. Their light sources glistened off of the slick, moist lichens that covered the upper half of the tunnel. Thus far, true to Talen’s estimate, the going had been much easier than in the last such river passage they’d negotiated, but there had still be a number of places where they had to get wet to make it past low overhangs in the uneven ceiling above.

Shay had moved up ahead, checking back periodically to warn them of another tight fit coming up. She was like a ghost, materializing out of the shadows without warning. Talen would betray his tension each time she left again, his jaw tight as he led them forward.

“Hey, I meant to ask you,” Dar said, as they pressed onward, “What ever happened to that old man, and the wizard girl, that we found before? Sorcatos, or whatever his name was.”

“Setarcos,” Talen said. “And Kupra.”

“Yeah, right.”

“They departed Camar shortly after our return,” Talen said. “I believe that they had agreed to return together to the monk’s homeland.”

“Really?” Dar scratched his beard. “Huh. Girl was a bit too pudgy for my tastes; I don’t go in for the porkers. But good for the old man, I guess. They’ll probably be the only ones to have survived Rappan Athuk, and live to tell about it.”

The captain glanced over his shoulder at the fighter. “You do not expect us to survive?”

“Do you?”

Talen turned back and continued on without responding.

Dar looked to his left, and saw the elf crouched there, looking intently at him. “What?” the fighter asked.

“There is a large insect on your shoulder,” Malerase said.

“Crap!” the fighter exclaimed, knocking the foot-long centipede off his armor before it could bite him in the neck. The creature fell into the stream with a soft plop, and was quickly carried off by the current.

Dar looked at the elf, who merely met his gaze with a silent stare. Behind him, he could see Varo, and then Zosimos, with Valus bringing up the rear about fifteen paces back. The cleric was again having difficulty, his heavy armor making him less mobile in the close confines of the underground river channel.

Dar kept going, bent over low, his helmet protecting him from the frequent collisions with the irregular protrusions that jutted from the ceiling.

After a time, he turned back, and saw the elf still there, hovering directly behind him. “You want to go on ahead?”

“I am content to follow,” he replied.

Dar looked at him for a long moment. The last two exchanges had been more words he’d had with the elf than in the entire trip from Camar.

The elf was more of a mystery now than he’d been when he was a raving madman. Dar’s knowledge of elves, or the aelfinn, as they called himself, was mostly limited to camp rumor and dirty jokes. Despite having served on the frontier during his stint in the army, he’d never met an elf prior to the day that this one had been dragged forward as a fellow prisoner on the edge of Rappan Athuk. Elves were not common in Camar, although they apparently dwelled in great numbers in the deep forest that extended as much as a thousand miles beyond Greathold. No one in the Duchy was really sure how many of them there were, exactly. At one time, they had contested with the men of the city-state in a series of violent wars. The last of those had been well over a century past, but it was said that the aelfinn had long memories.

“So now you’re some kind of wizard, eh?” he finally said. “How’d that happen?”

“After Licinius Varo restored my wits, I chanced to examine some tomes that he had left lying out upon a workbench. I found that I could understand some of the script within; the language of arcane magic.”

“Lucky break, that,” he said, glancing back to where the cleric was drawing quickly nearer.

“Most of the spells in the books are beyond me,” the elf continued, his gaze drifting, as if he’d forgotten that Dar was there. “But it feels as if the knowledge is there, waiting...”

“Why are you here, elf?”

Malerase turned back to meet his stare. For a moment, Dar thought he wasn’t going to respond. But finally, in a low voice, he said, “This place... it draws me...”

“Anything the matter?” Varo asked, as he finally joined them.

“Just waiting for word from Shay,” Dar said, turning back. Talen had gotten a good distance ahead, he saw; the captain’s glowing sword was visible a good fifty feet down the tunnel, although a clear view of the soldier was blocked by the low, jutting rock ceiling.

“We shouldn’t linger,” the cleric said. They moved forward to rejoin the captain, and found him with Shay at the edge of a wide bend in the course of the river. The two were talking in low voices, and Shay urged them to silence as they approached.

“The river enters a cavern up ahead,” she told them. “It’s occupied, I think. I didn’t see anything, but I heard growls, and I could sense something moving about.”

“It’ll be hard to get close without whatever it is seeing our light,” Dar said. “Or hearing us; Valus clanks like a smithy with all that metal he’s wearing.”

“You are all making a great deal of noise,” Shay said, tapping him lightly on the front of his battered helmet, dented by his frequent collisions with the low ceiling. “I can try and get closer, scout out the situation more clearly.”

Talen shook his head. “It’s too much of a risk to get separated. No, I don’t say this too often, but for once, I think this is a situation where we blast first, and ask questions later.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself,” Dar said with a grin. “And here comes the blaster now.”

They looked up to see Zosimos approach, the wizard moving with silence and grace in comparison to the heavily armored and armed cleric just behind him. The Guild mage met their expectant gazes with a raised eyebrow.

“You’re up, wizard,” Dar said.

javcs

First Post
Lazybones said:
I think this is a situation where we blast first, and ask questions later.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself,” Dar said with a grin. “And here comes the blaster now.”

They looked up to see Zosimos approach, the wizard moving with silence and grace in comparison to the heavily armored and armed cleric just behind him. The Guild mage met their expectant gazes with a raised eyebrow.

“You’re up, wizard,” Dar said.
Talos is slipping!
And Dar has the best quote from this update.

Odds that Zosimos get eaten when he starts blasting?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 93

A TREACHEROUS WELCOME

The creatures that lurked in the dark chamber needed no light to see; their sharp senses revealed all of the secrets of the darkness. That included the smell that one of them detected, an odor that drew its attention at once, and attracted it to the bank of the underground river. The meaning in that smell was clear, and with a bark it alerted its companions.

Prey...

The creatures spotted a light, a pinprick of glow that grew rapidly larger, approaching fast. It shot past the first of the monsters in a fiery streak, continuing for only a few more feet before it exploded with a roar of liquid flames. The flames scorched several of the creatures, but others leapt back, avoiding the worst of the fireball through nimble agility. Several of them seemed to shimmer as the fire surged around them, shifting about through a trick of the light.

The one that had initially detected the invaders remained near the river, its lips tucked back into a snarl. The fading light of the fireball revealed it to be a large, emaciated six-legged beast, not quite canine, not quite feline, but some uniquely monstrous creation with features of both. A pair of long tentacles sprouted from its shoulders, edged with ugly ridges that looked capable of truly terrible wounds.

An arrow came blasting down the river tunnel toward the momentarily silhouetted creature, but while it seemed to be dead-on for the center of its skull, when the missile hit it passed harmlessly through its body. The air around it shimmered, and the monstrous thing suddenly appeared two feet to the right.

The displacer beast, unable to get to its prey, wisely drew back, out of the line of sight of the river tunnel. The cavern was filled with angry barks and hissed, some tinged with pain.

A light appeared from the tunnel mouth, accompanied by a furious battle cry. The displacer beasts crept forward, but remained out of the view of the tunnel, waiting patiently for the enemy to arrive.

They were surprised a moment later as a second fireball streaked into view, exploding directly before three of the creatures. This time they had a harder time of it avoiding the flames, and those in front took the full brunt of the blast.

Even as they shook their scorched heads and blinked the smoke from their eyes, the first of their enemies exploded out of the river tunnel and into the room.

The tall human bore a club almost as big as he was, and he smashed it into the head of the nearest beast before they could fully recover. The blow should have crushed its skull, but once again it passed through empty air, as the creature shimmered a few feet away, safely out of his reach.

“What the hell—” began the warrior, but he was cut off as the displacer beasts tore into him.

The man was armored, but the serrated tentacles of the beasts seemed to find every weakness in his defenses, tearing vicious gashes in his arms, legs, and torso. Within a few seconds the attacker was staggering back, in bad shape. The displacer beasts, used to hunting as a pack, surged around him in an effort to flank him, cut off his retreat, and finish him off.

But the human was not alone. More of them emerged from the tunnel, quickly leaping to the attack. An already injured beast yelped as a lightly armored human woman thrust a spear into its flank, cannily detecting its true location despite the magical shifting aura that concealed it. The monster was no stranger to violent battle, but self-preservation overrode its fury, and it quickly withdrew from the battle.

Another male warrior joined the first, although his own initial attack was just as ineffective. But more enemies had appeared in the tunnel mouth, floating upon the water like their allies. One, a slender figure draped in a cloak of shadow, pointed a device at one of the beasts, unleashing a potent magic upon it. The displacer beast snarled and turned as it sensed the spell taking hold, but could not counter before it shrunk down into the form of a harmless white mouse.

Another man came forward, ignoring a swipe from a tentacle that smashed hard into his side. He carried a bludgeon, but instead of attacking he came to the aid of the battered first warrior, using his own magic to heal some of his wounds.

Driven to a frenzy, the displacer beasts pressed their attack. Surrounding the four intruders in the center of their ring, they extended their tentacles to their full length, ripping and tearing at these foes that had dared to invade their lair. All of the humans took hits, and the powerful fighter was struck hard across the brow, ripping his helmet off and digging deep, bleeding gashes across his forehead. He cried out as blood poured down his face, blinding him, but instead of retreating, he leapt forward swinging his club around in a low arc. This time, even though it passed through a false image, it kept going and clipped the creature hard in the jaw. Bone shattered from the force of the impact, and the beast fell back, suddenly less interested in a fight to the finish against this unexpectedly durable foe.

A cascade of magical bolts found their way into the melee, striking one of the beasts despite the confounding aura that concealed its true location. By no coincidence, the creature was one that had already been burned by the fireballs earlier, and the five magic missiles on top of that were too much for it. It staggered back, disengaging from the melee, but only made it a few steps before it toppled over on its side, mewling in pain.

The attackers fought on with a fury that matched and surpassed what the beasts could offer. Another warrior, this one armored in a second skin of silver metal, clambered up out of the river, and charged into one of the beasts from its side. It raked him with its claws, but this time the serrated edges glanced harmlessly off its armor. In turn, the armored man began laying about him with his bludgeon, smashing into the beast with surprising strength. The first swing missed, the attacker fooled by the creature’s displacement powers, but like the others he learned quickly, and followed with a wide arc that caught it in the shoulder with enough force to audibly crack bone.

The two still lingering in the river passage continued their attacks as well. Both now fired additional magical bolts, which once again struck unerringly, burning into the flesh of the hapless beasts. Another went down, its head and body covered with smoking craters.

That magical barrage broke the creatures’ remaining will to fight. The survivors, several of which had been damaged to within an inch of their lives, spun and darted across the cavern toward the only apparent exit, a large opening along the far wall. The woman with the spear intercepted one with a thrust that drove through a lung; the displacer beast tore free only to veer right and miss the exit, slamming hard into the adjacent wall. It fell to the ground, wheezing as blood poured from the wound in its side.

The invaders were victorious, if battered. As the displacer beasts fled, the tall warrior with the club lifted a hand to wipe his own blood from his eyes. It didn’t help much, as more blood continued to pour down from the deep gash in his forehead.

“Thas right, run. Run, you bishes!” he slurred, but even as he spoke the last word, his eyes rolled up into his head and he toppled forward.

Rabelais

First Post
I'll never forget the time a fighter in my game got separated from the rest of the party, and got killed/eaten by a pair of displacer beasts.

Good times.

Remove ads