The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
I was really trying to capture a "beat down" feel to the group's adventures, glad to see that this is coming through loud and clear. ;)

Unfortunately, I am flying back east for an extended weekend trip tomorrow... won't be back until Wednesday. I will bring my USB drive, but I'm not sure I'll have regular access to a computer to post. So today's update might be an extended cliffhanger...

Chapter 17

RESPITE

Dar tried to slam the door, but several rats were caught in the jamb, squeaking and crawling over each other in a frenzy to get out. More rats were hurling themselves at the door from inside; it took all of Dar’s strength just to keep the door from bursting open.

Tiros summoned Valor, and started stabbing the rats stuck in the doorjamb. One managed to force its way through, and leapt at the marshal’s legs. Varo was there, smashing his mace into the creature’s back, and it landed hard on the ground, quivered a bit, and died.

“Priest!” Dar exclaimed. “Help me keep the door pinned!”

Varo assisted Dar, while Tiros continued his slaughter of the rats trying to get out. The dead bodies kept them from closing the door completely, but while new rats continued to squirm up atop the heap of corpses, only one more made it out into the corridor, only to get stabbed through by Tiros.

Finally, after what seemed like a very long time, but which in actuality was only a little over a minute, the surge stopped. Dar and Varo warily opened the door. Other than dead rats, the only thing visible in the room was racks of empty shelving. There was a human arm attached to the back of the door, held in place by a dagger thrust through the palm. There wasn’t much left; apparently the rats had taken care of everything that was in their reach.

Tiros leaned against the wall of the corridor, only sheer will keeping him from collapsing again. “I... cannot...”

“All right,” Dar said. “I guess this is where we camp. Varo, let’s see what we can do with these bodies.”

Fifteen minutes later, the three men slept, lost in a dreamless black bred of utter exhaustion.

Dar woke to a sense of disorientation that quickly dissipated. He’d been a campaigner too often to be a deep sleeper, but this time, he had dropped off a deep precipice and had sleep as heavily as he had in his life. He hadn’t meant to sleep at all, intending to keep a watch while the marshal and cleric restored their strength, but he’d been just too damned exhausted.

“Well, I guess we’re still alive,” he whispered. It was dark; the torch they’d left burning had obviously gone out. He found flint and steel by touch and managed to get another lit, driving back the darkness.

The storeroom was unchanged. That was a relief, anyway; he’d half expected to ignite the torch to see a few dozen monsters standing over them. It would have been in keeping with what Rappan Athuk had thrown at them thus far.

Tiros and Varo still slept. Dar’s mouth felt like someone had jammed an old rag into it while he slept; he found his waterskin and took a deep drink. Then he broke out some rations and ate his fill.

They had enough supplies left for a few more days, at least. They’d filled their skins at the underground stream, and while he wasn’t keen on having to go back up there, he was pretty sure they’d find other sources of water here in the dungeon. Rappan Athuk’s dungeons teemed with life, it seemed, and there had to be ready sources of water about to support such abundance.

He realized Varo was awake, looking at him. The priest didn’t stir, or stretch, or make any other movements to announce is waking. He was just asleep one moment, and awake the next. It was creepy, Dar thought. There was a lot about the man that gave him pause, but he had to admit that without the cleric’s company, they would all have died a few times over already.

Varo finally did get up. He looked at Tiros.

“Let him rest,” Dar said. Varo nodded, and helped himself to some food.

“So what next?” the fighter asked, when the cleric had finished.

“I need to attend to a few ritualistic matters,” Varo said. “Then... well, I suppose we continue our search for a way out of this place.”

The priest took up his pack and the torch, and moved a short distance away. Dar left him his privacy, but when he caught a glimpse of flashing gold, he couldn’t help but move closer.

“What are you... hey!”

The priest was using a pointed piece of stone to apply tiny dots of green slime from one of the ceramic jars to the gold bar. The slime quickly started to spread, eating away at the metal; when it reached the point Varo desired, he quickly splashed the torch over it, destroying the corrupt substance.

Without looking up, Varo said, “This is a very delicate operation. Please do not distract me by speaking.”

“But... you’re ruining the gold!”

“It is necessary,” Varo said. “You will not complain when I can use my powers to keep you alive.”

The fighter had no answer to that. He returned to the other side of the room. Tiros had not stirred, even when he’d shouted.

Dar ate a little more while he waited. Once he’d finished his crafting, the cleric placed the torch on the ground before him, and bent low, folding himself until his forehead touched the ground. He remained in this position for the better part of an hour. Dar, bored, spent the time dozing, taking a whetstone to his sword, and whittling at a stick with the last of his daggers. Finally, the cleric came back over to the others. The gold bar—shaped now in the vague form of a horned creature with massive, outstretched arms—dangled from his neck by a leather throng.

“It looks like a lump of crap,” Dar said.

Varo seemed nonplussed as he sat down. “Let me explain in simple terms why it is not a good idea to make those kinds of statements. The success of my spells depends on my association of my focus with the power of my god, Dagos. If, for example, I were trying to remove a foul affliction from the body of a comrade, and I mentally made the connection you just made, then the spell would likely fizzle, falter, fail. In such a case, the person receiving the divine intervention would be, to put it simply, screwed.”

“Why are you here, cleric?”

Varo looked up at him, his eyes glimmering in the torchlight. “Why the same reason you are, fighter.”

“Yeah? And why I am here?”

“Fate.”

For a moment, the two shared a long look. Finally, it was Dar that turned away. “Are you ready to move out, then?”

“I am ready.”

Dar gave Tiros a kick. The marshal groaned. “Wake up, sleepy,” he said. “We’re moving out.”

The companions broke camp. Tiros received several lesser restoration spells from the cleric, which greatly improved his drawn and haggard appearance. Varo also treated Dar, restoring the stamina he’d lost from his close contact with the green slime.

“This place makes a good strongpoint,” Dar said, as they gathered up their packs. “We can fall back on this place if we need to rest again.”

“We shouldn’t dawdle,” Tiros said. “Time is not on our side.”

“What do you mean?”

“Have you forgotten the crystal death? I certainly have not.”

“I thought the cleric could deal with that.”

“I can keep the effects at bay, for a time,” Varo said. “But I am not yet powerful enough to fully purge the substance from our bodies.”

“Wonderful,” Dar said. “Like I didn’t have enough to worry about already.”

They moved to the door. After listening for a moment to ensure that the corridor beyond was clear, Dar unlocked it, and opened the door.

The torchlight revealed a gathering of a half-dozen hideously ugly, green-skinned humanoids that stood facing the door, waiting. A sick odor of carrion hung over them.

Before he could act, the first creature lashed out at the fighter with its claws. The wounds were not severe, but Dar staggered back and fell to the ground, paralyzed.

The ghouls rushed forward, eager for blood.

HugeOgre

First Post
Oh look, reinforcements for the Doomed Bastards. The only question is, will the marshall let the evil priest USE the new recruits?

Richard Rawen

First Post
I think that Tiros is practical enough that if Varo Can hold the ghouls in thrall then that will be that many less enemies they have to fight... and that many enemies they can use against the next encounter at the least.

HugeOgre

First Post
Dude no way, hes got to be lawful good, lawful neutral at best. He'll never stand for it.

Of course, you have to ask yourself, is it evil to use evil to destroy evil? Oh drat, I just shifted to neutral good. I hate it when that happens.

Lazybones

Adventurer
It's a moot point; since ghouls have +2 Turn Resistance, Varo would have to be 7th level to command them (taking into account his Improved Turning feat). At the moment, he's 6th.

As you can see, I found a computer, so here's the regular Friday update:

Chapter 18

THE TOUCH OF DEATH

Tiros summoned Valor and stepped between the first charging ghoul and Varo. The marshal took a hit, but he fought through the paralyzing effect of the ghoul’s claw, sweeping his sword around in an arc that intersected with the ghoul’s gut. The axiomatic blade opened the creature’s body like a sack of meal, and the undead monster collapsed, thrashing wildly.

The marshal’s intervention gave Varo the few seconds he needed to lift his new divine symbol, and call upon the power of his patron. The golden idol flashed, and for a moment, the light of the torches was replaced with a strange radiance that erupted from the device. Everything was bathed in a violet radiance that cast everything in negative relief; the combatants were brighter outlines in a surrounding blackness that wasn’t quite normal dark. The strange light lasted only a heartbeat, but when it faded, it seemed to seep into the ghouls. The creatures’ rush instantly halted, and the undead cowered, raising their arms to shield themselves from Varo’s sacred object.

All save one. That last ghoul hurtled past its rebuked companions, bringing with it a foul stench that washed over the humans like a sour memory of the level above. Tiros gagged, but he held his ground as the ghast crouched and sprang. Valor came down to strike, but the ghast was faster, and it laid heavily into the marshal, seizing his arms with its claws even as it lunged in to bite him on the shoulder. Tiros cried out and stiffened, and as he fell to the floor the ghast stepped over him, its yellow eyes fixed upon Varo.

The priest stood before it, and lifted his sigil once more. “Dagos commands you,” he said, thrusting the golden idol into the undead creature’s face. The dark light flared once more. The ghast snarled, hissed, and gnashed its teeth, but it did not attack.

Varo held it, maintaining his power over the creature. He knew that if he moved even a step closer, the rebuke would shatter, and it would tear him to pieces. Sweat began to spring out on his forehead. The creature’s stare was hateful, and he knew it was fighting him with everything it had.

Finally, he heard a scrape of metal on stone. He didn’t turn, but he knew that Dar was getting back up.

“Dar, kill this one first,” he said.

With the ghast unable to defend itself, the fighter made swift work of it. Tiros was moving again, shaking off the effects of the paralysis. Dar turned to the four remaining ghouls, and hacked them to pieces.

“That was a close one,” the marshal said, recovering his sword and returning it to the extra-dimensional space inside his glove of storing.

“Too damned close,” Dar said. “Wonder why they just didn’t break down the door.”

“This way, they got surprise,” Varo said. “I think it is a good idea not to underestimate the foes we might encounter in this place.”

The companions set out once more into the dungeon. Almost at once they spotted another door on the right side of the passage. This door was also locked, and this time the barbarian’s key did not fit the lock. They improvised, and Dar proved quite an able locksmith putting the madman’s magical club to good use. With the lock sundered, the door swung open to reveal an abandoned and empty storeroom similar to the one they’d camped in. This room had a door on the far side, however, and when they opened that one, they found a narrow staircase that descended steeply to another level.

“Looks like it’s going in the opposite direction from where we want to go,” Dar said. He was turning away from the doorway when Tiros stopped him. “Wait. Do you smell that?”

There was in fact a different odor coming up from below, decidedly different than the stink of stale piss and smoke that they’d grown accustomed to here. The smell was musty, and not entirely pleasant, but there was something else to it that the three tried to identify.

“It is not unlike the odor of a forest floor in autumn,” Varo finally said. “And there’s moisture in the air; I think there may be another river or stream in this direction.”

“Down, bad. Up, good,” Dar said.

“Let’s at least take a quick look,” Tiros said. “It may be a way out. If we do encounter something, we can come right back; these stairs are fairly defensible, and one person could hold back far greater numbers from above.”

Dar grumbled, but Varo agreed with Tiros, and the three descended. The stairs twisted several times in their course before opening onto a much larger, natural space. The smells were much stronger here, and they could see fungi and lichens growing on the cavern walls ahead at the edges of their torchlight, and hear the familiar sound of running water that they’d encountered on the upper level previously.

And there was something else.

“I hate it when I’m right,” Dar said, as they looked up at the stone archway that marked the entrance to the cavern. Written upon the stone, in letters that glowed slightly in a pale green, was a warning.

Beware of purple worms! Spiegel, the Arch-Mage.

“Maybe we should examine the upper level more thoroughly,” Varo suggested.

This time, no one disagreed with him.

Retracing their steps, the trio continued their exploration of the second dungeon level. They found another storeroom, this one ravaged by fire. They poked through the debris a bit, found nothing of interest, and continued their search.

The corridor came to an end ahead, with two doors visible, on to the right, and another straight ahead. The first door revealed another long passageway, one that extended as far as their torchlight without interruption. For the moment they left that one and turned to the far door, which creaked open to reveal a small chamber with walls and ceiling of packed earth. Some dirt trickled down from above as the door opened, and they could see a few small cracks along the walls that didn’t appear to go anywhere, as well as a more substantial passage that twisted out of sight to their left.

“This doesn’t look very safe,” Tiros said.

“Well, I’m no dwarf, but I have to agree with you on this one,” Dar said. “Let’s check out the passageway.”

They started to turn around, but before they could get fully reoriented the door to the side passage crashed open, and an angry-looking ogre stepped through.

Mahtave

First Post
What only one ogre? Are you being easy on the DBs Lazy Bones? :)

I thought I should delurk and add my praise to yet another excellent SH by Lazy Bones. In fact I just finished the "Wild West" SH. That was superb! Of course with the creatures bombarding these "heroes" I don't know how much longer they'll be alive. Rest assured I'll keep reading until the blood-drenched end.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Bah, don't be fooled, that's no "mere ogre" that's a 21st level Ogre Paragon Bear Totem Barbarian who will shortly one-hit-kill Varo for his surprise action, score two successful grapple hits and scoop Dar and Tiros into a brutal and smelly 'Last Hug', ending their miserable and terrifying last days with bone crunching finality...

Or maybe it's the new party member . . . 8-P

Honestly LB has me right where an author wants his readers: clueless as to what's going to happen next ( I'm still reeling from Zafir's sudden impalement death! ) and hungry for more =-)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for posting, Mahtave! Glad to hear that folks are still reading Travels. I hope to keep you, HugeOgre, Richard, and all my other readers content with more Rappan Athuk hero-crushing goodness.

At least for as long as the current roster holds out. ;)

Chapter 19

A SURPRISE FOR AMBRO

The ogre loomed over Varo, and while it had expected trouble on the far side of the door, it took it a second to notice the cleric standing right beside it.

That brief moment was enough for the cleric to reach out and touch the ogre on the hip, and unleash an inflict serious wounds upon it.

The ogre let out a terrible cry as negative energy coursed through its body, ravaging it from the inside out. The monster reached out and locked a meaty fist around Varo’s neck, yanking the cleric off the ground. Dar and Tiros were already rushing forward, but the ogre was quick to handle the priest, hurling him into the corridor wall to its left. Fortunately Varo hit the wall at an angle instead of head-on, but the impact was still considerable, and he fell hard to the ground ten feet away, somewhat the worse for wear.

The ogre turned back to the onrushing warriors, and it brought down its heavy club as they entered its reach. The pair dodged, and the weapon slammed harmlessly into the floor between them, albeit with enough force to crack the ancient stone.

The fighters struck at almost the same instant. Tiros’s thrust with Valor hit the ogre’s thick belt of layered hides, and failed to penetrate. But it distracted the ogre slightly, and that was enough for Dar to slice its leg open to the bone with his own attack. Blood exploded from the terrible wound, and as the ogre turned to face the second fighter, the crippled leg collapsed under its weight. The ogre fell forward, and it was helpless to stop Dar from driving a killing thrust into the back of its neck.

Tiros looked through the open door, and saw a shadowy figure already vanishing beyond the radius of his torch. “There goes another one,” he said.

“I’ll get it,” Dar said, stepping over the dead ogre.

“No,” Tiros said, grabbing onto him before he could dart through the door. “There could be more of them, and Varo’s down.”

“If there’s more of them, they’ll be back here soon enough,” Dar said, shaking himself free of Tiros’s grasp.

“Yes, but we can fight them on ground of our choosing.”

Dar grunted, but didn’t offer further protest as he went to help Varo. The priest, it turns out, was more dazed than seriously hurt, and a cure spell quickly brought him up to full strength once again.

“We probably don’t have a lot of time,” he said. “We should get ready.”

Ambro was in a sour mood.

The ogre was not one for introspection, but he could not help but feeling that he was being slighted. He had managed to construct a mental picture of his kin deeper in the dungeon being lavished with gifts of gold and magic and elf heads, while up here, where was Ambro? Watching rats and ghouls and that crazy human. Ambro regarded Marthek as filthy and wild, which was something, given the ogre’s own challenges when it came to hygiene. But he’d seen the human take down another ogre once with a single blow of his club, and that was something to respect, at least. Ugmo had been a real prick, and he’d had it coming when he taunted the madman, but it was still something to see a little human knock down an ogre several times his size, and even more to see the ogre not get up. Some of Ambro’s fellows had wanted to get some payback after that incident—and Ambro had wanted to get his hands on that club—but the priests had given strict orders that the human was not to be touched, so the ogre had to swallow his indignation and pass on the word to his troops.

But Ambro was no common ogre. Deep inside what passed for a brain, he had a sour suspicion that he was being denied the grandeur to which he was entitled. He felt he was already stronger than old chief Mahrg, who had led his tribe into this place, this pit deep within the ground that went on and on and on. Mahrg had promised that service to the Great Demon Lord would bring them wealth and power. It hadn’t brought much to Mahrg except an early grave. If they’d still been in the world above, Ambro might have succeeded Mahrg as chief, but here, in the Dungeon of Graves, there were only rats and ghouls and madmen.

This morning he’d had his troops count their last pay ration that had come up from the priests. Ambro had come to suspect that the priests were cheating them. Ogres weren’t very adept at counting, so the operation had already taken several hours, and looked like it wasn’t going to be completed any time soon. Utto, who’d always been pretty clever for an ogre, had suggested lining up the copper coins in rows on the floor. That had taken a while, but the problem of actually counting the coins remained. Since the average ogre couldn’t count past five, all of their efforts thus far had come to naught. Utto, something of a prodigy, had once counted to eleven, but Ambro had suspected that the ogre, a little smaller than the rest of them, had some orc in his ancestry.

Ambro was getting pretty frustrated, so he felt some relief when Grutz rushed back from his patrol to report that an army of knights had entered the dungeon, and had hacked Zukar to pieces over by the dirt room. The ogre actually smiled as he picked up his greatclub.

Ambro felt like smashing something.

The corridor door exploded into a spray of wood splinters and iron fragments. Some of the latter hit the far wall with enough force to embed into the stone.

A huge ogre stepped through the new opening. It looked down at the corpse lying on the ground. The ogre lay face down on the stone, a pool of its own blood spreading out from the terrible wounds in its leg and neck. Footprints in blood—human-sized footprints—led away from the body, over to the nearby door to the east. The door to the dirt room was open slightly.

The ogre moved forward, letting several other ogres into the passage behind it. It pointed to the footprints, and grunted something in the harsh Giant tongue.

The ogres—there were four in all, massive, ugly brutes, armed with huge clubs and crude javelins—readied their weapons eagerly. The one that had fled before was in the rear, in the position of shame. Its attention was focused on the leader, so it didn’t see the door to the storeroom back in the passage behind it open silently.

“Hey, ogre!”

The ogre turned around, just in time for a ceramic jar to strike it solidly in the middle of its face. The ogre jerked back, stunned, as a sticky green goop splattered over its face. It reached up to pull the stuff off its eyes, but only succeeded in smearing the slime around more, and coating its fingers to boot.

Then it started to scream.

“Don’t like that, do ya?” Dar yelled. He hurled his other jar at the second ogre as it pushed past its suffering companion, but the throw went wide, and the jar smashed on the ground behind it, splattering gobs of green slime across the corridor.

The ogre lifted a javelin and hurled it at the fighter. Dar tried to dodge back, but the missile clipped his right arm just below the shoulder. An inch to the left and the hit would have taken off his arm; as it was, the impact spun him around and nearly knocked him down. Blood sprayed from the wound as the javelin landed on the ground a few feet further down the corridor.

“Get in here, Dar!” Tiros yelled from the storeroom. The other ogres were slowed as they tried to avoid the spattered slime on the floor, and their suffering companion, but the big one in the rear was shouting at them now, trying to force his way through.

Dar lurched toward the door, and through it. As soon as he was clear, Tiros slammed the door and used Dar’s club to pound a dagger into the jamb. “Are you all right?” he said to Dar, as the fighter tore off a strip of cloth and hastily tied it around the bleeding wound.

“I’m fine,” the fighter said. Varo was on the other side of the room, facing the door, but he did not move to help the injured warrior.

Tiros had another dagger ready, and was about to reinforce the door when something hard crashed against it. The door buckled but barely held. Dar and Tiros retreated to flank it, drawing their swords. Tiros looked at Varo and nodded, but the priest was already lost within the intricacies of a spell.

The door was hit again, and this time came crashing down off its hinges. An ogre stepped forward into the room, looking for enemies.

As soon as it cleared the threshold, Dar and Tiros struck. This time it was Tiros who scored blood, as he stabbed Valor deep into the ogre’s side. The ogre yelled and turned toward the marshal, which caused Dar’s initial attack to glance off its hides and miss wide. Angry yells came from the other ogres in the hallway; the first one was blocking the door.

An explosion of red mist drew the ogre’s attention back to its front. The cloud dissipated within a second, revealing a large, ferocious ape. The creature resembled an oversized gorilla, but its eyes glowed faintly crimson, and a smell of brimstone hung about it. The summoned creature gave up three feet and several hundred pounds to the ogre, but it didn’t hesitate, leaping at the giant and tearing with its claws. The ogre, caught by surprise, reared back. It bashed the ape with its club, but it didn’t get its full strength behind the swing, and the ape’s fiendish resistances allowed it to weather the blow.

Another shout came from the outside passage. The ogre in the doorway tumbled forward, pushed hard from behind; it stumbled and fell, still tangled with the ape. Another ogre, the hulking leader, stepped forward into the crowded space.

Once again, Dar and Tiros struck. With the ogre flanked, it could not effectively defend against both attackers, and this time both swords bit deep into its body. Even an ogre would have been hard-pressed to absorb that kind of damage.

But Ambro was not a common ogre.

With a roar, the giant smashed the haft of his club into Dar’s face. The fighter staggered back, stunned, blood pouring down his face from his broken nose. There was nothing he could do as Ambro brought the club around in a follow-up swing that crushed into Dar’s chest, knocking him roughly back into the wall. For a moment he just stood there, pinned against the hard stone by the force of the impact, and then he pitched forward, landing face-down on the bare stone floor.

Richard Rawen

First Post
I keep hearing this song snippet . . .
"and another one's down,
and another one's down,
and another one bites the dust...
... Hey, they're gonna get you too,
another one bites the dust... "

Really fun to read, would be a real terror to play though !

Remove ads