• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 22

A PROMISE BROKEN

Dar grunted and braced his arms against the packed earth of the shaft. After the initial fifteen yards or so of ascent, which had been steep enough, the rising tunnel had become nearly vertical. Dar was a decent climber, but he was tired, the gear he carried was dragging him down, and the tight confines of the tunnel were not giving him much space to maneuver. That could be an advantage; he’d already avoided falling twice by the simple expedient of thrusting his arms and legs out to grip the sides of the shaft.

The slight gusts of fresh air that wafted down from above gave him added strength, however, and cemented his determination to win free of the confines of Rappan Athuk. He had no idea if it was night or day, above; the shaft twisted and turned enough that he probably wouldn’t know until he rounded the last bend. Or maybe the shaft opened onto a cave; probably occupied by a nest of fierce monsters, given his recent luck.

Dar grinned and adjusted his sword. He would welcome such a fight, as long as there was light at the end of the tunnel.

His foot landed on a seemingly solid clod that disintegrated as soon as he put his weight upon it. Instinctively he thrust his arms out again, but this time, the packed earth gave way at his touch, and he couldn’t stop himself from sliding downward. The slide became a fall, clods of dirt exploding around him as his armored torso shot down the shaft. It was all he could do to protect his face; he couldn’t even turn over onto his back.

Tiros and Varo dodged back as he shot out of the tunnel mouth, and rolled to a stop, coughing and covered in dirt.

“Are you all right?” the cleric asked.

Dar didn’t answer, pulling himself up—grimacing as the motion pulled something already strained in his back—and turned back to the tunnel.

“Give it up,” Tiros said. “You’ve already fallen twice, and you’re going to break your neck.”

“I am getting out of here,” Dar said, in a tone that brooked no disagreement.

“Without the rope that Ukas was carrying, it’s too difficult,” Tiros said, his own voice thick with weariness. Even if you do get out, what about the rest of us? And what about the extra gear? Even leaving your pack with us, you couldn’t do it, Dar. And the wilderness around Rappan Athuk is not a friendly region by any measure.”

“I was getting close, I could feel it,” Dar said. “If we stay here, we’re dead. You know that as well as I.”

“Perhaps I can help,” Varo said. “Given another chance to rest and recover spells, I could summon a small elemental that could help make the ascent more manageable. Set footholds, the like. It wouldn’t be here for very long, but it could help.”

Dar nodded. “At least somebody agrees with me. You might want to stick around and loot this place, marshal, but I’ve had enough, treasure or no.”

Tiros did not respond, but he looked troubled.

They made their way back to the ogres’ chambers. Varo suggested that they might want to check the doors they’d seen back in the outer corridor, but Dar refused.

“Why push our luck? The last few times we’ve opened doors, we haven’t had much success, have we? I say we turtle in here again, let you get your spells back, so you can call your mental friend, and then we get the hell out of this dump.”

It took all three of them working together, but they got the dead ogre’s corpse in front of the door leading to the outer passage. With that doorstop in place, they retreated to the inner room. The place was almost too foul to abide, but after they dragged most of the rancid furs out of the room, they could just stand it.

“I’d sleep in crap if it meant getting out of here,” Dar said. Now that the promise of escape had coalesced into a concrete plan, he seemed to be in a much better mood. He even offered to take the first watch. Despite that fact that they had last slept just a few hours before, Tiros and Varo were out again within moments.

Varo woke once more to a darkened room. He could sense Dar a short distance away. “Any trouble?” he asked.

For a moment, there was only silence, and the cleric wondered if the fighter had fallen asleep. “No trouble,” Dar finally said. “Quiet as the grave.”

The cleric touched his divine focus, and summoned a globe of soft light that filled the room. Tiros lay nearby. Dar was sitting against the wall, looking a bit haggard.

“You were up all night?”

“Night, day, what does it matter, in this place. I’ll get my fill of sleep when we get out of here.”

“It will take some time for me to pray for my spells,” Varo said. “Get some sleep.”

Dar nodded. He took out his bottle, and took a long draught from it. He didn’t bother to take off his chain shirt, but merely slumped down, and was snoring gently within a few moments.

Varo waited for a few minutes, and then went to the door. Careful not to make any noise, he opened it and went out into the outer room. The dead ogre was starting to reek of decay, but Varo paid the stench no heed. Sinking into a kneeling position, the cleric abased himself before his god, calling upon the divine potency of Dagos to infuse him with power.

It took the better part of an hour, but the deity answered his call.

Varo rose and walked over to the tunnel entrance. The light spell had expired, so he paused to summon another one, fixing the radiance to upon the end of his mace. Without his gear or armor, it took only a few seconds to make his way through the passage, into the room of packed dirt. He paused to pick up a clod of black earth, one of those dislodged by Dar’s earlier efforts to climb the shaft to the sunlit world above.

For a moment, Varo regarded the dark opening pensively. Then he began to cast a spell. The words of power seemed to swell within him, demanding to be shouted at the world with all his might, but he was used to resisting that temptation, and the sounds made barely a whisper as he completed the complex incantation.

There was a momentary pause, a gathering of power, and then a cloud of mist coalesced before him, dissolving to reveal a truly massive badger with silver fur. The creature, almost six feet long, regarded him coldly.

“I know you do not appreciate being summoned by one such as I, creature, but I require a simple service of you.”

The badger merely looked at him.

Varo pointed toward the tunnel mouth. He held up his hand, the one holding the clod, and crushed it in his fingers, letting the dirt sift between them to the ground below. Then he said something to it, soft words in a lilting, sing-song that may or may not have been a comprehensible language.

The dire badger turned, and proceeded into the tunnel. It barely fit inside the opening, but its strong claws pulled it inside, and soon it was gone from view.

Varo didn’t wait around. He crossed back to the exit, and returned to the rooms where the others slept.

Ximix

First Post
Greetings and well met good ser Lazybones. It has been a wild and wooly ride, beginning with Tales and on through to the re-uniting of Mole and... *ahem* well, suffice it to say that this darker tale, while wonderful fare... well it certainly lives up to billing now doesn't it? I finally had to post after enjoying your gifted writing, I look very much forward to reading this new direction you have taken your characters.

X

Lazybones

Adventurer
Ximix: thanks, and I really appreciate you signing up for an ENWorld account just to post in this thread.

I'm curious if any other readers have read all 3 stories to this point? I know the older threads still get some views, and of course the first two stories are still available for download.

I'm way ahead in the story at the moment, and if there are still folks who are reading faster than I can post on the 3 updates/week schedule, I can go to a Monday-through-Friday update schedule starting next week. Let me know your preference, readers. ;)

Chapter 23

BACK ON TRACK

“Damn it, what happened?”

Dar’s question was met only with silence; it was obvious what had happened, or at least the results were. The three companions stood in the rough dirt chamber, facing the shaft that led to the surface.

Or at least what had been the shaft. The opening was clogged with rich brown earth, and a few probings had indicated that the collapse was complete, and continued as far back as they could reach.

“We’ll dig it out,” Dar said.

“With what?” Tiros said. “Our hands? Face it, the chance has passed. Clearly someone or something knew we were here, and it decided that we weren’t going to get out of here.”

“It is possible that our presence here is being monitored,” Varo said. “Remember the gravestone, above.”

“Damn it,” Dar said, throwing down his shield. “If they know we’re here, why don’t they just attack and get it over with? Bring the bastards on, and be done with it.”

“You didn’t hear anything?” Tiros asked Varo.

“No, but when I am lost in my prayers, I am heavily distracted,” Varo said. “And the door in the ogre quarters was likely thick enough to absorb anything but the noise of a raging battle.”

“What about your elemental?” Dar asked. “Can it dig through that?”

“Perhaps, given time, but the summoning spell is very brief in duration,” Varo explained. “It would take days, at best, assuming that most of the shaft is still intact above.”

“We don’t have days,” Tiros said. “I’ve already begun to feel... weakened. It might just be this place, all the fighting, the bad food, but I don’t think so.”

Varo nodded. “The crystal death. I can delay its effects, but only at the expense of most of my available higher-order spells. I may eventually be able to purge our bodies of the substance, but at the moment, that ability is beyond my powers.”

“So damned close,” Dar muttered.

“We’re all frustrated,” Tiros said. “But we’ve got to keep going. There’s got to be more than one way out of this hellhole.”

“Just let me find some of those priests of Orcus,” the fighter hissed, taking up his shield once more, and leading them back toward the exit.

Dragging the ogre corpse away from the outer door, the three men made their way back into the main passage. They checked each of the three doors they found in the opposite wall. The small rooms beyond were each odd and unique. In the first, they found a magical broom sweeping dust and dirt into a mound in the center of the place. In the next, they found a heap of construction supplies, including a large stack of weathered wooden boards, a set of assorted tools, and a box of iron nails. The items were old but still useable. The last door opened onto a room filled with a horde of rats. Three of the largest attacked the companions, while the others ran about wildly, squeaking in a crazy cacophony. Dar took out some of his earlier frustrations upon the creatures, and when they left the room was a bloody mess of torn up corpses. None of them had suffered any injuries.

Beyond the three rooms, the passage continued straight on for some distance before turning right. Directly ahead, the corridor continued about twenty feet into a dead end, while to the right, they could just see another door at the end of the passage in that direction.

“I believe that we have come full circle,” Varo said. “If I am not mistaken, that door leads back into the room where we first entered the level.”

“So we’re back to square one,” Dar said.

“Not quite,” Tiros said. “There were a few more doors in that first room, as I recall, and there’s still the dirt room near where we fought the ogres, and that black door, the one with the gold.”

“I haven’t forgotten that one,” Dar said.

Varo lingered, looking down the short dead-end passage.

“Sense something?” Tiros asked.

Varo shook his head. “Not really. It’s just—”

“Trouble!” Dar hissed, drawing his sword. The others turned as the door down the far corridor creaked open, and a pack of ghouls appeared.

wolff96

First Post
Lazybones said:
I'm curious if any other readers have read all 3 stories to this point? I know the older threads still get some views, and of course the first two stories are still available for download.

Ayup.

I may mostly lurk these days, but I'm still here and have all three tales under my belt.

And this, for what it's worth, is my favorite so far. Now just put a full-progression arcanist in there that doesn't get massacred right off the bat and I'll be ecstatic. :)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Lazybones said:

Well, of Course!

Lazybones said:
I'm way ahead in the story at the moment, and if there are still folks who are reading faster than I can post on the 3 updates/week schedule, I can go to a Monday-through-Friday update schedule starting next week. Let me know your preference, readers. ;)

Heh... More Please !

Jon Potter

First Post
Lazybones said:

I read through Shackled City on the boards and downloaded the pdf version of Travels. I've only made it through the return from Isle of Dread portion of that tale, however.

I'm way ahead in the story at the moment, and if there are still folks who are reading faster than I can post on the 3 updates/week schedule, I can go to a Monday-through-Friday update schedule starting next week. Let me know your preference, readers.

More is certainly welcome, but I'd rather have the story doled out slowly rather than risk a big dry spell later on. That's my 2 coppers, anyway.

HugeOgre

First Post
I was going to post something long and witty, but Ill just say I could always use a daily dose of the best author Ive ever read on here.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Jon Potter said:
More is certainly welcome, but I'd rather have the story doled out slowly rather than risk a big dry spell later on. That's my 2 coppers, anyway.

A valid concern, given the irregularities of my schedule. Tell you what, if I ever drop below 12 updates "in the bank", I'll drop back down to a 3/week schedule. I've got about twice that right now, in draft format at least.

jfaller

First Post
I'm w/ Jon ... rather have it steady than all at once and then nothing. I started on the Shackled City but actually dropped it early on just in case I ever get the chance to play in it. I'm interested in the others though. What (and where) are they again?

Someone mentioned Isle of Dread...do you have a Greyhawk story? That'd be sweet. I cut my teeth on the venerable Greyhawk in the 70's and 80's. (Shows how bloody long I've been playing this darn game.)

As always....nice work.

Remove ads