• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

wolff96

First Post
Heh. Thanks, LB.

Always nice to see there's at least one competent arcanist in the world... and still an elf, wandering around somewhere. :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 219

BUILD UP

Varo was the last to arrive.

They were expecting him, or at least the guards made no effort to block him as he made his way past the outer doors. One guard made a gesture to ward off evil that Varo caught as he passed; the cleric allowed himself a quick smile that was gone by the time he entered the outer chamber.

There were no guards here, and as the outer doors closed behind him he found himself alone. He spared a glance for the ornate window to his right, fully repaired after the night when he and his companions had taken down the Duke. Through the dense panes of glass, he could just make out the sparkle of the stars above.

He did not allow himself time for idle musing. Crossing to the far doors, he entered the council chamber.

They turned as one as he entered. The space around the table was crowded with people. The Doomed Bastards—odd that the name had stuck, even in his mind—were there: Dar, Allera, Talen, and Shay. Velan Tiros was flanked by Nelan and General Darius. Next to Nelan stood Bishop Jaduran, who would likely be the next Patriarch, once the confusion surrounding Gaius Annochus’s removal sorted itself out. Jaduran was an aged figure who had come out of retirement in response to the crisis, but he looked positively hale in contrast to the man next to him.

Decimus Honoratius fixed his eyes on Varo in a way that made the cleric feel as though the man could see into the depths of his soul. Varo, however, was used to such scrutiny, and did not shy from the stare. He acknowledged the archmage with a nod, and continued his scan of the room. There was a young woman next to him, his niece, whom Honoratius had used previously as a vessel for his magic jar spell.

Varo shifted his attention to the huge stone table that dominated the room. Spread across its surface was a veritable hoard of items. Weapons, pieces of armor, shields, leather cases bulging with arrows and bolts, pouches and compact packs, wands, neatly tied scrolls, row after row of potion vials, and miscellaneous other items of both obvious and mysterious purpose. And this bounty was in addition to the personal weapons and other items carried by the notables gathered here. Varo suspected that a detect magic, cast in this room, would likely render the caster unconscious.

“Licinius Varo,” Tiros said by way of greeting. “Welcome to our council.”

“Gentlemen,” Varo said, coming fully into the chamber. “Ladies.”

Shay snorted. “You can skip the niceties, Varo. Let’s have it.”

“Very well. Orcus has successfully transitioned from the Abyss. He is ensconced within a demiplane of quasi-reality that is directly contingent upon the Prime Material. His power was depleted greatly by the ritual that allowed him to pass, but he is rapidly gathering strength for a final, ultimate invasion of our world. Soon, very soon, he will be too powerful for anyone to stop him.”

There was a moment of silence. Then Tiros nodded. “Yes, we know. Archmage Honoratius shared a very similar summary with us earlier today.”

For once, Varo looked surprised. But he recovered quickly. He nodded toward the collection upon the table. “Then you are preparing for a final assault upon Rappan Athuk.”

Honoratius spoke. “Yes. We will begin by severing the connection that binds the demon to his three temples in Rappan Athuk, to weaken the foe, and then enter the demiplane where he hides, and put an end to the creature.”

“You are familiar with the Codex?” Varo asked.

The ancient mage nodded. “I suspect that my version is not as complete as yours, cleric of Dagos.” He glanced over, just for a second, at the young woman at his side. “But the only course available to us seems reasonably clear.”

“Nelan has agreed to use his powers to reduce the temples,” Tiros said. “The church of the Father has put its full support behind the operation.”

“There must be resolution,” Nelan said, his mouth twitching slightly as he looked at Varo.

The cleric of Dagos nodded. “There is another variable of which you may not be aware. The Ravager...”

“Yes, we have confirmed that the being that attacked Southwatch and Highbluff was not one of the Demon’s creatures,” Tiros said. “Other than that it originated at, or near, Rappan Athuk, we have not been able to divine more about its nature, or even precisely what matter of being it was. Whatever its source, we must continue with our plans; any additional matters will have to be addressed as they present themselves.”

Varo raised an eyebrow. “That seems a rather... haphazard approach.”

“Perhaps you have an alternative schema to suggest?” the marshal asked, his voice tight.

“Not at all. I am just surprised to hear it, coming from you.”

“We would welcome any additional data, maps, or other intelligence you might have regarding Rappan Athuk,” Tiros said. “From what Talen told me, you have quite the collection of lore regarding the Dungeon of Graves.”

“Indeed,” Varo said, coming forward to the edge of the table. “I also have some items of power to contribute to your cache here.”

“Then leave them,” Talen said. “We will make good use of whatever you provide.”

“Excuse me?”

“I believe you understood my statement, cleric. You will not be coming with us, not this time.”

“That is a foolish attitude. Regardless of your personal feelings toward me, I both know more about Rappan Athuk than any person here, and my spellcasting powers are not some trivial boon you can casually discard. Without my presence, most of you would not be alive today.” Varo spread his gaze across the gathered company, but each time he saw only dark stares. Allera, and to his surprise, Tiros, looked away when he came to them.

“The simple fact of it is that none of us trust you, Varo,” Talen continued. “We tolerated you so far as we needed you to take on the cult of Orcus. But no more.”

“You need me still.”

“That may well be true. But I would not trust you to stand beside me, let alone protect my back in the Dungeon of Graves. This is not an idle sentiment, or a personal decision on my part. We are in agreement.”

Varo looked at them again, saw the truth in the knight’s statement. His shoulders slumped slightly, a subtle gesture of defeat.

“Very well. While I believe that you will come to regret your decision, it is yours to make, and I will not waste my time trying to sway you.” He reached into his handy haversack, and drew out several leather wraps, which he tossed onto the table. “The items within should be self-evident in terms of utility. If you need assistance, he,” he said, gesturing slightly toward Honoratius, “can provide instruction.”

He then drew out the familiar leather folio that contained his collection of maps, charts, and other lore. “I will leave this in your custody as well. Make of it as you will.” He placed the heavy folio on the edge of the table beside the wraps.

The cleric looked up directly at Tiros. “One last time, marshal. This is a mistake; you will need every ally you can muster to survive this challenge.”

This time, Tiros did not shy away. “We will be victorious, or we will fail. But we will be true to what we are, either way.”

Varo nodded, and turned to leave, but paused a moment in the doorway. “I would speak with Corath Dar a moment.”

Everyone looked at Dar, who shrugged and walked over to the priest. The two walked out into the foyer together. A few minutes later, the fighter returned, alone.

“What did he want?” Talen asked.

For a moment, Dar did not reply. Then he shrugged again and lifted a fist, which he opened to reveal a ring set with a black stone. “Another ring, like the ones he gave us before. Said it was for the elf.”

“The elf?” Talen asked.

“That’s what he said. You want I should toss it?”

“The ring he gave you saved your life, Talen,” Shay said, putting a hand on his arm. Talen’s hands tightened into fists. He no longer wore his ring; the jewel each bore was usable only once, and the freeing of the soul to return it to the body destroyed the item in the process.

“It is your decision, Talen,” Tiros said. “You are in command of this mission.”

Talen nodded. “Keep it,” he said. “Maybe he knows something we don’t.” He laughed. “Of course he does. What am I saying? But at least this time we won’t be pawns on his gameboard.”

Dar frowned but he put the ring in his pocket.

Tiros turned to his left. “Archmage Honoratius, when Varo entered you were saying that you had another announcement. Please continue.”

The archmage nodded. “My statement is just this; I will be accompanying you on this expedition.”

There was a murmur of surprise around the table. “Master Archmage,” Talen began, “I do not mean any disrespect, but...”

“You think I do not realize that I am a wrinkled husk?” Honoratius said, with a sharp laugh. “You have already seen my channel my power through my niece, Letellia.”

“But she is just a girl—” Talen began, only to take an elbow from Shay. “It’s not that, she is too young...”

“Like my uncle, I am fully cognizant of my age,” Letellia said. “And please do not stress the dangers; I have been present during the entire discussion. And I am a sorceress of no small power in my own right.”

“Archmage, I am not an arcanist, and please clarify if necessary, but I do not believe that the magic jar spell will suffice in this instance,” Nelan said.

“I have access to an alternative magic that will enable me to share the consciousness of my niece for a period of time each day,” Honoratius explained. “Through her you will have access to my full powers, which are... not inconsiderable.”

“My uncle is the most powerful mage in Camar, and you know it,” Letellia added.

Dar chuckled, and the attention of the table shifted toward him. “Seems like they’re making the same arguments as Varo did, a moment ago.”

“The difference is that I trust the Archmage,” Talen said. “I have my concerns about the arrangement, but you are right, we will need your aid. I welcome you—both of you—to the expedition.”

“All right,” Tiros said. “The hour is late, and we still have much to discuss.”

wolff96

First Post
Yeah, I'm with Drowbane on that one. Clerics of the Father have been about as useful this time around as Jenya's kin were in the last storyhour -- great snacks for distracting big foes. Not much more.

Still, I'm just stoked to see an arcanist in the party. :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 220

RETURN TO SOUTHWATCH

A flicker of energy, a faint shimmer, and six companions from Camar materialized at the bottom of a barren, rocky dell. It was cold, but the air was preternaturally still, despite the movements of the dense gray clouds high above.

The place seemed denuded of life. Despite the recent rains, the brush that choked the dell was brown and crisp, dead vegetation that crinkled under their feet. Thorns plucked at their garments as they spread out to look around, but they were all wearing durable garments designed for rough travel, and they were not inconvenienced.

“Are we on target?” Talen asked.

Letellia—or rather, Honoratius—turned to face him. “The spell I used has no chance of error,” the archmage said. “We are at the exact spot that you specified.”

Talen nodded. It took some getting used to, perceiving the ancient mage’s presence in the body of the young woman. He’d encountered the strange combination before, when Honoratius had teleported their group to Aldenford, but now he, she, they were a part of their company proper, companions that would dare Rappan Athuk with them.

“There is death on the air,” Nelan said, frowning as he adjusted his armor. The old priest looked somewhat uncomfortable in his breastplate of shining mithral, but he clutched his mace with determination. He carried numerous magical adjuncts from the vaults of the church of Soleus, including several healing wands, a dozen potent scrolls, and a like number of magical potions.

“We’re only a short distance from Southwatch,” Shay said. “A lot of unburied bodies were left there.”

“Or undead,” Allera said, with a slight shudder.

“I still think we should have brought some more men,” Dar said.

Talen was scanning the hills that surrounded the dell. “This is a reconnaissance in force,” he said. “We are going to help Nelan take out the temples, find out how to access this demiplane that Orcus is hiding in, and report back.”

“Just like that, eh?”

“If you have a better idea, I’d be glad to hear it.”

“Please, gentlemen... the plan has been decided, let’s focus on accomplishing the mission,” Allera said.

“That’s something I can agree with,” Talen said. “Archmage, are you ready?”

Honoratius raised an eyebrow, an incongruous expression on the young woman’s face. “I am here, commander. As I noted earlier, I can maintain the transposition for several hours.”

“All right. Shay, can you find the goblin cave from here?”

“On it.” The scout, equipped with her magical boots, easily made her way up the treacherous sides of the dell, and vanished into a gap between two of the far hills. She was only gone for a few moments before she reappeared, waving for them to follow.

The companions moved out in single file, silent and alert. They were very well equipped, each of them carrying several powerful healing potions. Shay’s bag of holding was loaded with mundane supplies and spare weapons, and they had a quantity of magical arrows for their bows. Allera had a full half-dozen healing wands, three cure light wounds, two cure moderate wounds and a last with the lesser restoration spell. Her own powers had been augmented as well, enhanced with a more powerful periapt of wisdom.

They still had mixed feelings on that score. The periapt and two of the wands had been in one of the satchels that Varo had provided. The cleric obviously had his own resources, even without an organized church to draw upon. But then again, a great quantity of magical items had vanished into his handy haversack during their last assault upon Rappan Athuk, and even in crisis Camar was a place where one could acquire many things if one knew the right sources. Varo was not the only one to have made good use of their loot; Shay had traded a quantity of goblin-sized magical weapons to a merchant from Drasalia in exchange for an improved set of empowered gloves that further enhanced her considerable agility.

“The cave’s just a few hills over to the southeast,” Shay reported, as they joined her at the lip of the dell. “I didn’t see anything moving, anything at all. The hills seem dead.”

“The baleful influence of the Demon is spreading,” Nelan said. “Even the plants are dying out.”

“All the more reason to keep moving,” Talen said. Dead grass crunched under his heavy boots.

The unnatural calm prickled at their senses, and sharpened their awareness. They were wary of an ambush, especially so close to the abattoir of Southwatch. But no hostile things emerged from the hills to threaten them, and it took them less than fifteen minutes before they stood before the rocky overhang that concealed the goblins’ hidden exit.

“Let us hope that they are still disposed to parlay with intruders,” Honoratius said, as they drew out their everburning torches and headed inside. The archmage drew out a quantity of powder and sprinkled it on her skin, toughening it with the potency of a stoneskin spell. There was a faint sparkling in her hair, as their lights glittered on tiny gemstones woven within a weave of platinum threads. This was the Web of Transposition, a magical focus that enabled Honoratius to possess the body of his niece over the great distances that separated them. The young woman looked tiny flanked by Dar and Talen in their heavy armor, but she bore a considerable presence about her that was not entirely based on the personality of her archmage uncle.

The secret door at the rear of the cave was as they had left it. After disarming the trap there by the simple expedient of tripping it (and narrowly avoiding the scything, poisoned blade), they accessed the familiar staircase beyond and started down.

“By the gods, each time we come back to this place, it smells worse than before,” Shay said, as she led them down the twining stairs carved in the stone.

“There isn’t anything that smells worse than the dung monster,” Dar replied.

“Quiet,” Talen said, and for a time thereafter the only sound was the noise of their boots on the stone.

The staircase continued for an interminable time, dropping them ever lower. Finally it opened onto a larger cavern, through which the stair descended like an iron spike. Careful to remain close to the central spire of the winding stair, away from the sheer drop on the edge, they continued down. Their lights were just bright enough to make out the galleries around the perimeter of the cavern, perfect places for ambushers to assault unwelcome guests coming down the stairs. They saw no enemies, but the further they descended, the more each of them could feel the oppressive weight of invisible eyes fixed upon them from the darkness.

The goblins were waiting for them at the bottom of the staircase.

Allera stepped forward. They had agreed that Allera would be their spokesperson, or despite Shay’s mastery of the goblin language, she lacked the healer’s diplomatic talents. Honoratius had empowered her with the ability to speak and comprehend any spoken language via a spell, to minimize any chance of misunderstanding.

“We come in peace,” she told the deputation waiting for them. There were only a half-dozen goblins in evidence, but none of them would make the mistake of assuming that they represented the entirety of the garrison here. “As we stood together against the evil followers of Orcus that threatened to destroy you before, so to we ask your kind permission to travel through your city once more.”

The others remained a short distance back, ready to move in an instant if things turned ugly. Dar loosened his sword in its scabbard. “Don’t make any threatening moves,” Talen said quietly.

Dar did not look away from Allera. “I am not a raw recruit, commander,” he whispered back.

“I mislike trusting such as these,” Nelan observed. “While we are taught not to prejudge by the doctrines of the faith, goblins are steeped in selfishness and treachery.”

“See, that’s what I say, but he won’t listen to me,” Dar replied, with a jerk of his head at Talen. The knight did not respond.

“The end of the world makes for strange bedfellows,” Shay observed.

Allera returned a moment later. “What did they say?” Talen asked.

“It would seem that our way must lead elsewhere. The goblins have collapsed the tunnel leading to the slave pits. There is no longer any access to the temples of Orcus from Grezneck.”

“And you believed him?” Dar asked. “I think they just don’t want us coming through their city again.”

“The goblin was telling the truth,” Honoratius said. “At least insofar as he believed it to be true.”

“Some sorcery?” Dar asked.

“Indeed. During the interview, I scanned its thoughts. They are suspicious of us, and understandably fearful, but it confirmed that the tunnel you sought has been collapsed.”

“Can you teleport us through the obstruction?” Talen asked.

The young woman shook her head. “I had only one instance of the spell memorized, but even beyond that, magical transportation without very specific directions in mind can be hazardous. Or in the case of the augmented version of the spell, futile.”

“Varo said something about interference, last time,” Allera said.

“Perhaps. I have sensed some anomalous currents of power since we entered this complex.”

Talen grimaced and snapped his sword an inch in its scabbard. “We must try another approach, then.”

Dar looked at him, and divined the significance of his intent in his face. “Ugh, I had to say it.”

“What?” Shay asked.

“Let’s just say that you’ll get a chance to do your comparison of stinks,” the fighter said. As the goblins watched them silently from the shadows at the base of the stair, the knight led them back up the way they had come.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 221

ONCE MORE ON THE EDGE

They emerged from the goblin cave and started cross-country through the hills toward the south. The terrain was rough but navigable, and Shay was able to blaze a trail forward. The day had been full when they’d returned from the hidden entrance, but the sun remained hidden behind a dreary bank of gray above them.

Honoratius departed their company about an hour after they left the cave. Talen called a halt as Letellia quavered and sat down on a protruding rock. She raised a hand to her head, shivered briefly, and then blinked several times.

“Are you all right?” Allera asked.

“I... I’m fine,” the sorceress said. “The disorientation lasts only a few moments.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t happen in the middle of a battle,” Dar said.

“Archmage Honoratius knows the limits of his spell,” Letellia returned. “And I am far from helpless, when he is absent.”

“He cannot return until tomorrow, correct?” Talen asked.

The sorceress nodded. “He will scry us, and then initiate the transposition when it is necessary. I have a pair of sending spells on scrolls that I can use to contact him, but I recommend their use on for emergencies, as they are a finite resource.”

“Don’t worry,” Dar said. “You’ll find that there’s no shortage of emergencies when you spend time with us.”

“All right then,” Talen said. “Let’s get moving.”

They continued south by southwest for several hours. Eventually the slowly fading light from above indicated the waning of the day, and they began to look for a place to set camp. They settled on a rocky outcrop well-shielded by a ring of large boulders. Letellia unrolled another scroll and cast a spell, conjuring a small, durable-looking cottage of stone upon the clearing at the top of the hill.

“Wow,” Dar said, stepping forward to inspect the building. “Sorceress, I wish we’d had you with us before; this sure beats sleeping on the ground.”

The secure shelter proved sufficient to their needs, although they still were careful to set watches. But nothing troubled them during their rest, and they woke early to the faint patter of raindrops upon the surface of the structure.

“Oh, great,” Dar said, muttering as he pulled his blanket up over his head.

The shelter vanished even as they were packing up their gear after a sparse breakfast of oatmeal and hot coffee. Fortunately the rain proved light and fleeting, although the clouds continued to darken as they continued south.

“Looks like a doozy of a storm coming,” Shay said.

As if triggered by her words, they all heard a distant rumbling, followed by the faintest hint of a tremor in the ground beneath their feet.

“What was that?” Allera asked.

Shay had crouched to the ground, and laid her head against the rocky soil. She held up a hand for silence, but the disturbance was not repeated.

“We felt a quake like that on an earlier visit to Rappan Athuk,” Talen said. “Varo said it was connected to the ritual that the servants of Orcus were conducting.”

Letellia nodded. “It may just be a natural quake, but it is wise to take precautions.”

“Is Honoratius joining us now?”

She shook her head. “I do not think so; the spell’s duration is limited, so I believe he will wait until we reach the vale.”

They pressed on, with Shay directing them across a landscape that seemed devoid of notable features to the others. But the scout had spent a lot of time tracking in these hills, and they had come through these hills when they had fled Rappan Athuk via the bee tunnels, what seemed like a lifetime past.

It was midafternoon when they reached the crest of another low rise to look down at Rappan Athuk once again.

From their vantage, they could see the full length of the dell, stretched out before them like a fallen corpse. The valley formed the outline of a great cross, and through the omnipresent wisps of fog that were ever present they could just make out the forms of some of the thousands of headstones and monuments that marked the graves of the fallen soldiers that had battled here centuries ago. The mausoleums on the far side of the valley were just vague outlines from where they stood, but each of those who had experienced the Dungeon of Graves could feel their presence like the shade of a dear friend long dead.

“I wonder if we get to kill the greenies again,” Dar said, loosening Valor in his sheath. “Each time we come here, I think they get a bit easier.” He started down the hill, flexing his arms behind his head, getting limber for the inevitable confrontation.

“Does he not feel fear?” Nelan asked. “I feel as though someone has thrust a dagger of ice through my vitals.”

“No, he’s just crazy,” Shay said. “You’ll get used to it.”

“Come,” Talen said, following the fighter down the far slope. The others trailed behind.

Dar waited for them at the valley’s edge. The blackened wreckage of the soldiers’ fort was still visible to their right, halfway around the perimeter of the depression. Nothing lived as far as they could see in every direction.

Dar said, “Well, I guess it’s time for—”

The fighter was interrupted by another thrumming within the ground. They ground trembled faintly but noticeably beneath their feet, and a sound reached them from ahead; a ferocious groan that sounded like a violent spasm of a sick giant. Several voices spoke at once.

“What was that—”

“It came from down there—”

“There, I think... the Well—”

“Quiet!” Talen hissed. Beatus Incendia had appeared in his fist, the bright light of the sword casting the dull dreariness of the day into stark relief.

The noise came again, louder it seemed, this time. It came from directly ahead of them. The companions readied spells and weapons. Dar drew Valor and actually took a few steps forward into the vale, but he glanced back at the others and hesitated.

“Letellia...” Talen said, turning toward the sorceress.

“He’s coming, I think... the casting, it takes time...”

“No time!” Dar said, as he pointed toward the dark outline of the Well. Another noise issued from that direction, different and alien and terrible. As the companions watched, they could feel the progress of something up that dark shaft, the noise it made sounding like the protests of the earth itself at its passage. After an agonizing but sparse passage of seconds, long claws appeared, grasping the upper edge of the Well from within.

The creature that emerged was a horror beyond imagining. It was much bigger than it first appeared, its body swelling outward as it passed through the comparatively narrow neck of the Well. It was huge, its hairless flesh a shockingly bright crimson, its visage resembling that of a weasel, but with monstrous jaws from which teeth the size of shortswords protruded. As more of its body emerged from the Well they could see that it had eight sets of legs, all of them equipped with powerful scoop-shaped claws. Its teeth, claws, and eyes were all utterly black.

As it emerged from the bowels of the earth, the creature let out a roar of utter rage and fury that shook each of them to the core. While it was different in shape than the last instance of its kind they had encountered, Dar and Talen recognized it at once.

Another spawn of the Ravager had emerged to wreak havoc upon the world.

Remove ads