The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
As promised, first of two updates.

Chapter 84

PAIN

Dar stirred, grimacing as pain tore through the lingering shreds of unconsciousness. He became aware of a sharp odor, and drew his head back, only to bang it hard against the stone wall behind him.

“Take a care,” a calm voice said. “You have an ability to absorb damage that matches few men I have encountered, but even you are mortal, Corath Dar.”

Dar looked up to see Setarcos standing above him. “How long...”

“Just a few seconds. The creature has moved down into the town, but I fear that this tower will collapse at any moment.” The aged monk held out a tiny metal box, which was the source of the stink Dar had detected. “This is a potent stimulant with curative properties, I recommend that you...”

Dar reached out and grabbed the box, downing its contents in a single gulp. A sudden shot of energy seemed to flow into his body, along with fiery tongues of pain that almost made him cry out. Every bone in his body felt like it was broken, but he was able to stand. He realized that the fly spell was still active, and he lifted a few inches off of the ground as he summoned the magic again.

“Can you manage...”

“I will be fine,” Setarcos said. “Fight well, Corath Dar.”

Dar nodded, and shot up toward the gaping hole in the side of the tower ten feet above.

Petronia almost fell again as she staggered to her feet, and started to pick up Allera. On the far side of the healer, Kiron was getting up as well. “We have to get her out of here!” the woman knight exclaimed. “We can’t stand against that thing!”

“We have to,” Kiron said, but his voice betrayed his own feelings, that Petronia’s words were only stating the truth. His hand dropped to the heavy bronze hilt fastened to his bet. “Get her to safety,” he started to say to Petronia, but to his surprise Allera looked up, her eyes clear and determined.

“No, my friend,” she said. “We all stand here.”

There was a flare of light as Sultheros unleashed another spell in the direction of the Ravager. The monster unleashed another cry of rage that was almost defeaning, even coming from a few hundred feet distant. A hulking thing emerged from the rubbled building behind it, a massive earth elemental of pseudonatural origin that rose up and wrapped huge arms around the Ravager. The elemental was nearly as large as its opponent, but the Ravager reached around with its extra arms and pulled the summoned entity off its back as though it were a child. The elemental slammed a fist hard into the Ravager’s chest, the thump of it like the booming of a rockslide. But the Ravager merely took it in its claws and tore it apart, striding forward through the cascading rubble. A pair of scorching rays flared with red fire across its shoulders as one of the half-dragon mages flew over; the Ravager did not even look up.

Kiron had not looked away from the creature since its unholy cry. “What do you need,” he said to Allera, without turning.

“Time. Just a little time,” she said, her voice quiet, yet somehow audible over the din.

Kiron nodded, and took up his sword. “Protect her with your life,” he said to Petronia, and started across the square, toward the Ravager.

A few of the other knights started after him, but Petronia held them with a shout. “Ward your charges!” she said, directing them back to their positions protecting the vulnerable clerics. Maricela, lying in the open stall, had started to stir, but the others remained insensate. “Remember your duty this day!” she yelled, taking her own position at Allera’s side, supporting her as she reached out to her magic. “The Dragon Knights hold the line!”

There was no answering cry, no shout of challenge. In the face of the Ravager, any such declarations would have seemed foolish bravado. Instead, the men and women of Camar held their weapons, and waited for death to come to them.

In the ruined gateway of the castle above, Selanthas cursed as he looked down at the scene above. Fortunately for him, he’d taken his rest in the South Tower, and not in the castle keep. Behind him, Callyse and Setarcos emerged as well, the elf woman helping the old man navigate the last steps of the wrecked staircase leading down from what was left of the gatehouse tower. The elf archer lifted his bow, but then lowered it without firing. Even at this range, he could make the shot easily, but what hope did he have of actually harming the creature? Selanthas was a calm man by temperament, but at the moment he felt like gnashing his teeth in frustration.

Behind them, a noise of movement drew their attention back to the ruined gate. They turned to see a man clad in tattered clothes, sodden with blood, carrying the limp form of Letellia. Selanthas recognized the man as the prisoner that they’d taken at Rappan Athuk, and he started to lift his bow again, before recognizing the futility of it.

“She lives,” Duke Aerim said, and that finally got through to the elf, who reached into his pouch for the potion there before hastening to the aid of the wounded sorceress. She was unconscious, and it took some doing to get the healing draught into her, but it worked quickly, and the woman stirred as it completed its work.

It wasn’t until she started to wake that Selanthas looked up and realized that Aerim was gone.

Seeing Allera recovered and casting, Sultheros joined in the effort to delay the Ravager from reaching them. The elf summoned a wall of force across the square, the spell forming a glowing barrier some thirty feet high and nearly fifty feet across. The Ravager slammed a fist into the wall, but did not waste time pounding uselessly upon it; instead it started moving around it. The end nearer the creature culminated in front of an inn, a centuries-old two story structure with a high stone foundation. To the Ravager, this proved barely an obstacle as it came around Sultheros’s wall and tore through the front of the inn, ripping off the entire second story as it passed. Denied its rich feast of life by the trick played on it via the vanishing population of Highbluff, it seemed intent now on at least slaking its thirst on the magic used by these few remaining foes. It was focused on Sultheros, but as it drew nearer its black stare shifted to Allera, who had turned away from it, and who seemed utterly unaware of her surroundings as she closed her eyes and lifted her arms. To the Ravager, she glowed with a brightness that far outshadowed the globe of daylight, and it eagerly looked forward to consuming that glow, to ebb at least for a moment the ravenous hunger that drove its existence.

Thus focused, it completely ignored Kiron, at least until the knight, who narrowly avoided getting trampled beneath its ground-shattering stride, drove the epic sword given to him by Amurru through the monster’s right heel, slicing through its flesh all the way to the bone.

The Ravager screamed in real pain. It lurched to the side, falling against a leatherworker’s shop next to the inn it had destroyed. Its weight collapsed the building, and two of its four arms vanished inside the structure as it leaned precariously over.

Kiron pressed his attack, but before he could draw near enough to strike again, the Ravager lashed out with a left arm, seizing the knight in its huge paw, crushing him as it made a fist. Kiron struggled in vain against that steel grip, while the monster righted itself, leaving another structure in wreckage behind it. Already the wound at its ankle had stopped oozing fluid, although the gash still gleamed wetly as it slowly knit itself shut.

More spells splashed across the monster’s back, but the creature paid them no heed. Mehlaraine shot in, trying to help free the knight, but the Ravager merely swatted her almost casually with claw before she could draw close enough to strike with her spear. The elf warrior’s momentum was abruptly reversed, and she finally slammed into a roof some two blocks distant, dazed and bleeding, both of her arms broken and dislocated from their sockets.

Maricela, staggering out of the stall where she’d laid unconscious, screamed as the Ravager lifted Kiron in its fist, and bit off his head and a good-sized chunk of his body. His right arm, still holding his sword, went flying through the air, landing in the square in a bloody mess just behind the creature. Opening its fist, it thrust the rest of Kiron into its maw, swallowing the remains in a greedy gulp. Its meal seemed to fortify it, and when it stepped forward, its damaged leg withstood its weight without difficulty.

That distraction resolved, the Ravager started forward again, toward Allera and the others.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 85

PORTAL

Maricela’s agonized scream echoed across the square, and became words of power, an invocation that sent a raging flame strike down upon the Ravager. If sheer grief and hatred could have empowered the spell, it would have reduced even that monstrosity to a cinder; as it was, it scorched the dense hide covering its shoulders and the back of its head, but did little else.

Sultheros stepped forward, and raised his staff. At the call of the eldritch magic within the artifact, another elemental rose from the ground in the middle of the square, a massive thing of the deep earth, its body covered in the displaced flagstones like blotches on its skin. This one was greater than the pseudonatural monster that Dra Mak Mor had conjured earlier; it stood taller than even the Ravager, and the ground shook as it stepped forward, sixty thousand pounds of earth gathered into ambulatory form.

The Ravager was not interested in it, but it could not easily get around the thing, so it went through it.

The two titans collided in a violent clash. For a moment it looked as though the Ravager might actually lose the initial contact, as the elder elemental smote it across the side of its head with a massive fist. But the Ravager merely lunged and dug its claws into the elemental’s body, then pulled it into a close embrace. The elemental was too big for the Ravager’s jaws to seize hold of it, but it still managed to tear free a considerable chunk of its squat head. Clods as big as boulders fell from its body as its claws dug deeper, tearing big rents in the elemental’s body.

Allera was unaware of the battle raging a stone’s throw behind her. Fighting through the disorientation and pain that had followed the collapse of their spell-weaving, she had reached out again for the full power of her healing magic. Exhausted as she was by the lengthy ritual, grasping the power was more like trying to get hold of a rushing river than the usual soft, welcoming flood that she was used to. But grasp it she did, and as she surrendered herself to that flow, she once more reached deep inside herself and parted the barrier that separated worlds.

Another gate opened, but unlike the dramatic portals she’d opened in their last clash with the Ravager, this one seemed almost muted, a doorway opening with a white glow, its brightness overshone by the continuing radiance of Maricela’s daylight spell. The whiteness grew, until an opening the size of a barn door hovered before her, a few inches above the ground. A shadow appeared within that luminosity, a vague shape that took on humanoid form as it approached its threshold.

Allera felt the cost of holding the gate like a knife rubbing against the boundaries of her consciousness, but she forced herself to ignore it. She paid the price, maintaining the portal until the other could reach her.

He stepped through. Clad in a flowing robe, he bore only a large shield, a slab of metal the size of a serving board, covered with a simple drape of pure white cloth. An ageless wisdom shone in his eyes, and something else—peace.

That did not stop him from looking over Allera’s shoulder and taking in the decidedly unpeaceful scene resolving in the open space of the square behind her. The newcomer shook his head.

“You two just can’t manage to stay out of trouble, can you?” Licinius Varo asked.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for all the posts! Thought you'd enjoy that twist. I actually didn't plan for it to happen (at least not when I wrote my original outline), just sort of happened when I was writing this section.

Here we go...

Chapter 86

VARO’S BLESSING

The elder earth elemental that Sultheros had summoned came apart in an explosion of dirt and stone that scattered across the width and breadth of the square. The Ravager stormed through the remnants as they scattered on the morning breeze.

“Well. Let’s get its attention, shall we?” Varo said, summoning a firestorm that rose up in brilliant white sheets from the ground around the Ravager.

The Ravager roared in fury and stepped through the flames, the scorch marks covering its legs and flanks already starting to fade as it picked up speed. Its size was such that less than ten strides separated it from Varo and the others. Sultheros raised his staff, and Allera lifted her hands, limned with a soft blue glow, but Varo gestured for them to hold as he stepped between them.

“Get back,” he said. “Remain behind me.”

The elf shared a glance with the healer, who said, “Do as he says! Fall back!” The others did as bid, although they could barely keep their feet with the ground shaking under the Ravager’s tread. Eight strides, seven, six, the monster looming over them like a tidal wave.

Varo lifted his shield, and drew back the white sheet.

“Witness truth,” he said to it.

The Ravager looked upon the rune scribed upon the shield.

The monster roared again, lifting its head. It lost its stride and staggered to the left, but its momentum kept it going, through the square, into the buildings beyond. Heedless of what it was doing, it clipped Varo with one foot, knocking the cleric back twenty feet to land hard against an overturned wagon. The heavy shield was torn free, and skittered wildly across the square. The others were able to get out of its way, but Allera fell to the ground as it passed, and Sutheros quite nearly joined her. Only sheer luck kept it from crushing the building holding the incapacitated clerics and their knight guardians, although one corner collapsed, and the warehouse beside it was completely devastated. It kept on going, through a second building into the street beyond, and then through a pair of small houses beyond that. Only then did its charge start to abate, but the incredible noise of its cries continued. It started lashing about with its arms, the claws taking off nearby roofs as though they made of straw.

Dar flew down from above, as Allera ran over to where Varo, grimacing, was starting to get up. He landed beside them, shaking his head at the swath of destruction left by the creature. He looked even more surprised to see Varo, but he recovered quickly. “What did you do?” he yelled.

Varo’s expression remained calm. “I drove it insane.” As if to punctuate his words, the top of a chimney landed in the square about ten paces away, spattering them with pieces of broken bricks. The Ravager roared again.

“You... what? Are you mad, priest? What can we possibly hope to gain...”

“It will no longer be able to act in a coordinated manner, nor will be able to escape you for a second time. If you act quickly; the spell is permanent, but I suspect that the creature’s innate powers will allow it to shake off the effect in time. In very little time, perhaps.”

Dar stepped forward, and for a moment it looked as though he would seize the priest. With his white robes torn and mussed, he no longer looked like a celestial emissary, but again a mere man. At least until one got a good look at his face, and his eyes.

Allera grabbed Dar’s arm to forestall him. “How do we kill it, Varo? We’ve been able to damage it, but it regenerates far too quickly.”

“And if you say that we need to have faith, I swear I’ll feed you to it myself!” Dar growled.

Varo looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “Can you summon the Host once more?” he asked Allera.

The healer shook her head. “No. Fueling the ritual drained most of my powers. I could barely manage that one gate; I had thought to bring the solar once more...”

“Yes. And you ended up with me, I’m afraid.”

“Can’t you do a gate of your own?” Dar asked. “I remember before...”

“I am afraid I cannot,” Varo said, cutting him off. “My writ here is more circumscribed than before. As an agent for outside forces, my abilities are limited by the Compact.”

“What the hell then are you...”

Dar was interrupted by a loud noise from several streets over; more buildings coming down. Above them, their allies continued their magical attacks against the Ravager, but from what they’d been able to do thus far, it was doubtful that they could do more than slow its rate of regeneration.

Letellia drifted down from above, accompanied by Lyllalya, who looked pale despite the magical healing that had restored her broken wing. Sultheros stepped forward to join them. “I am surprised to see you here,” Letellia said to Varo.

“Likewise,” Varo said.

“This situation is untenable,” the sorceress said. “Dra Mak Mor and Koros are keeping it busy, but they can’t really hurt it. Our spellpower is depleted, and the thing has gone through the best we could dish out with barely a scratch.”

“Varo has messed up its mind,” Dar said. “But we don’t have any way of knowing how long it will be affected.”

Letellia nodded. “We can remain out of its reach, but I doubt that our magical firepower alone will be enough to overcome its regenerative abilities.”

“Bring it back here,” Varo said. As everyone turned to face him, he said, “Between those buildings, there,” indicating the main street that fed the square.

“What trick do you have up your sleeve?” Dar asked.

Varo shook his head. “Nothing you haven’t seen before, Dar. We can only pray to the gods that it is enough.”

“Why were you sent back here?”

“Because I am a part of this world as well, Dar. Even now.”

Allera stepped between them. “We don’t have any time.”

Dar nodded, without turning from Varo’s gaze. “Do it,” he said. Sultheros nodded, and lifting his staff, he uttered a spell and rose into the air. His attendants followed behind him, their cloaks fluttering out behind them as their fly spells lifted them above the wreckage of the square. Letellia and Lyllalya followed behind them. Dar lingered just a moment longer. “Stay in cover,” he said to Allera. “If there’s nothing you can do, don’t try to be a hero.”

“I cannot hide from it; it senses my power, I believe,” she said. She touched Dar’s arm, and said, “We all have to do what we can.” Healing power flowed from her, easing the fighter’s wounds. It was a trickle compared to the power she typically wielded, but he touched her face, and smiled as she met his eyes.

Dar stepped back and lifted back into the air, following after the spellcasters toward the noise of the mad Ravager’s passage through Highbluff.

“What can I do?” Petronia asked.

“Let’s see what we can do for the other clerics... wait, where’s Maricela?”

They looked around, but the priestess was no longer anywhere within the square.

Flying high above, Talen and Shay floated on invisible threads of magic. “Interesting,” Talen said. “I didn’t expect to see him again.” Below, they watched the Ravager rampaging through the town, driven to madness by Varo’s spell.

“Do we intervene?” Shay asked.

Talen shook his head. “Let’s see what they do first.”

Shay glanced back at the horizon to the east, which was steadily brightening now with the light of the coming dawn. “You do see that, right?”

Talen nodded. “This will be settled, one way or another, very quickly. And then we will need to decide for ourselves what has to be done.”

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 87

MAD BEAST

The Ravager, beset by madness, was taking out its frustrations upon the empty town of Highbluff. But as it wrought destruction through a swath of ruined buildings, torn up streets, and cluttered rubble, it wound its way back toward the square facing the citadel, where it had first entered High Bluff.

Those flying above were doing their best to abet this course, but it was the Ravager itself that set it, for even through the haze that Licinius Varo had laid over its senses, the creature still craved the life energies of those defenders who had taken shelter there. Allera’s presence it could still taste like a predator scenting a hint of roasted meat on the wind, and now the presence of Varo offered something more, another lure to drag it on.

And something else as well, something not quite distinct, something... familiar.

Lightning and fire engulfed the Ravager, driving it into a rage, but it could not counter the attacks from below. Normally canny enough to adjust its tactics to meet such challenges, in its current state the creature could neither seek another transformation nor create and hurl missiles at those above as it had against Lyllalya earlier. Instead it lunged at its foes, leaping high enough so that it seemed it must catch even those flying high above, before gravity inevitably dragged it back down, usually destroying another building or two as it landed.

Those above were able to inflict damage, but it seemed that nothing could hurt it enough to overcome its incredible stamina and regenerative powers. Dra Mak Mor flew over it on his little carpet after one failed leap had left it lying on its back in the wreckage of an inn. He drew out a small object from within his robes and dropped it, muttering a word of command as it trailed away from him. As it fell it grew, the shrink item spell unraveling to reveal the item as a bulging barrel, gaining speed as it fell, finally exploding as it struck the Ravager squarely upon the chest. Its contents were revealed as a cascade of fine material sprang up in a plume. It glittered in the predawn light, hanging in the air for a moment, but fell back to earth too quickly to be mere dust. It covered the Ravager’s body and much of the rubble around it in a fine layer of sparkling material.

“Look away,” Letellia warned Sultheros and his coterie, flying next to her.

The half-dragon war mage Koros flew past and hit the Ravager with a fireball from his wand. The spell itself lacked the power to harm the Ravager through its considerable resistances, and in fact the tongues of flame died out even as they touched its flesh. But the heat of the spell was more than sufficient to ignite the metallic powder that the alienist had dropped.

Night became day as a blazing plume of brilliant white flame obscured the Ravager, the inn, and everything around them. For long seconds none of them could see anything, and they had to avert their eyes from the intensity of the display. They could hear the creature’s noises of pain, but when they could look again, they saw its form, outlined in the white fire that still enveloped it, rising up once more.

“Stubborn bastard,” Letellia observed, hitting it with another chain lightning that vanished into the glow. She knew better than to try to disintegrate it; the thing’s fortitude was insane, and she may as well have tried to vaporize the Great Cathedral in Camar. Beside her, Sultheros hit it with a spell of his own. His bolt failed, sizzling into nothing against its resistances. The elf bit off a curse, but like Letellia knew that its protection against magic was sporadic and almost random; they just had to keep hitting it.

The burning white flare faded as the Ravager stormed forward, still trailing bits of flame. The inn remained a pyre, and several of the buildings nearby had already started to catch. One way or another, it looked like Highbluff was not going to survive its encounter with the Ravager. But with much more at stake, those fighting here held nothing back.

Dar flew low over the Ravager, careful not to come close enough to risk a grapple. He knew better than to attempt an attack now, especially with his allies firing off area spells left and right. He felt the thrum of power from Justice, and knew that he could hurt it, if infinitesimally. But likewise it could hurt him, and it was pretty obvious who would win in that exchange.

Still, as the creature approached the square once more, his hand tightened on the hilt of his weapon.

Varo had set up a whirling blade barrier across the entrance to the square. But as the Ravager entered the intersection that joined that street, another figure stepped out of the shadows between two of the buildings that fronted it. As she lifted her mace, divine light shone from it.

“Face the judgment of Soleus, beast!” Maricela cried, invoking a righteous might spell. As she grew in size the Ravager turned to face her.

“Maricela, no!” Dar yelled, but the cleric paid him no heed, stepping forward to face the creature that had killed her beloved.

Remove ads