D&D General The Double-Edged Sword: Is The New D&D Edition a Cash Grab in Disguise?

Oofta

Legend
So ... apparently D&D toasters are a thing. Who knew? Hmm, I do have a birthday coming up in a few months. :unsure:
DnD Toaster 2.png

Oofta

Legend
Yup, sure is, and I don't thinknit is unfair to characterize that is a bit of a cash grab (unlike the core books under work for years), even if it is super fun:

View attachment 354311View attachment 354312

Uncanny Brands Dungeons & Dragons Halo Toaster - Toasts D and D Logo on Your Bread https://a.co/d/11yGE61

It's not the worst cash grab in the world, it's actually kind of a funny conversation piece. Way more than I'll ever pay for a toaster, but still.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I actually think, that they succeeded on some will saves to not update the core once or twice between 2014 and now.

When I look at my math books (as a teacher), they were updated twice in the meantime. Even though the math is still the same, some chapters were reorganized and better structured. Some exercises were exchanged.

And only I as a teacher had to buy new books. The students just bought the newest version.

I think this is exactly how 5tg edition will do from now on. Every 5 to 10 years we get a bew edition of the books, while the core stays the same.

Is it a cash grab. As with school books: in parts it is. But if they don't, other publishers will have more modern books and their old books will just be replaced with them.
At some point, you need to upgrade.

By all means. Who still has the same furniture in all rooms they had 10 years ago. If your couch shows signs of wear, do you replace it with the exact same couch or do you buy something more up to date?
If I really liked that couch, I buy the same couch.

Remove ads