• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeon Masters' Foundation

ChaosEvoker

First Post
MORDMORGAN! DYNE!

*hold out arms to greet some old buddies* Welcome back! If you can get SotM and Shard back here. I mgiht consider giving them their counsil positions back even though they bowed out.....Though we STILL need another counsil member....

Btw here's how that works:
Anyone who feels that someone would make a good Counsil member, nominate them, if they accept the nomination the counsil will vote on them. (Myself included) No nominating yourself. Until then....anyone need campaign assistance/general DMing advise?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I find that it is hard to keep my players interested for loo=ng campaigns. They inevitably go off topic every feew seconds. But then again, all of my players are social players who dont know the rules, so meh.

Whoa, this moves just as fast as the last thread.

I don't really find it too hard to maintain a campaign, mostly because we only play the really long one every 6 months. A friend of mine who lives in Missouri drives all the way down here to Texas to play in my Ravenloft game, so I've got tons of time to prepare.

We're talking about re-starting everything because of the new Warlock class in Complete Arcane and some of the feats in Libris Mortis. The main character (Sorin Valdis, played by my friend from Missouri) is a hunter of the undead who seeks to become a ghost to better defend his loved ones (sounds strange, but it works). The other player in the game (some may remember Evandele from the other thread) changes characters every once in a while based on where Sorin goes and who he adventures with. We all look forward to the game (the next one will happen in about 2 weeks :D ), and it's definitely the highlight of my (gaming) year.

If you're interested, I'll let you know how it comes out.

Oh, btw, if anyone runs a horror-based campaign, I'd love to give some advice and share tips and stories. Horror is the best (IMHO) :]

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Oh I'm interested in hwo this turns out....

Here's an example of strange, I'm currently playing as I type this and we had a small break so I came here. We JUST restarted our campaign so a player coudl be a Warlock...coincidence...or not <_< >_> :uhoh:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmmm..
1) how is this differernt from the usual threads that you don't have to sign up for before commenting ?

2) I have run 4 3rd ed campaigns, each lasting aproximatly a year. Each ended through either DM Burnout or Life changes - like moving out of St. Louis in 2001, or starting 12 hrs of grad school.
two games actually had planned climaxes, and were designed as stories with a primary arc plus subplots.

The starting levels were 2nd-3rd
Frequent charater changes seem to be hard on a campaign, as most of the replacements were not as well developed as the orginal.

Recently I started playing a game at 12th, and the characters were far less developed then the built from low lvl ones. Most seemed just to be built for power. (which we need as 1-2 deaths per session is common) We are also playing a modified published game rather than homebrew, and the lack of dimesions outside the dungeon are irritating to me. hmm.. DM/Player communication that just might work :)

I find that starting at low levels is more rewarding in the long run. Players are more attatched to thier characters (especially after surviving the low-HP levels), and more likely to RP. I find that especially in Ravenloft, starting from low levels adds to the hatred of the villain and the slow descent into evil (or the struggle to prevent that descent).

I'll keep you all posted on our game (which likely won't be more than one complete adventure).

ChaosEvoker

First Post
@ Evilhalfling
Its a foundation that you can join, feel a part of, and connect with other gamers in. Why does anyone join a foundation/club?

@ Mordmorgan
yeah I agree, our game kindo f burned at the end, nto enough sleep (or caffine :] ) and it kind of got weird (Let's jsut say our Warlock is now married to Shar who is a mortal now)

Y.O.Morales

First Post
I'm joining too.

I've been playing RPGs in general since 2000 (quite new), DMed for 1 1/2 year, and now I'm preparing for a 2-years campaign.

By the way, ChaosEvoker, before starting this thread/foundation, I recommend that you first familiarize with ENWorld's rules and community (see introductory thread here). We're a different breed of gaming community :)

And welcome. I look forward to contribute in the coming months.

Dyne

First Post
Yep, this thread is gonna grow just as fast (if not faster) as the old one.

I'll get ahold of SotM and Shard.

BTW, my group has only run a single campaign together. All of us are buddies from school, so we would just get together after school to play. It ended up as only 3 people, including me. The other two were a Barbarian and a Fighter, so I decided to run another character alongside them as a Cleric.

We started at Level 1 and went from there. There were plenty of times in which we were almost wiped out, but we worked together to get ourselves out of it. I'm glad I ran my Cleric with them because it became very necessary to have a healer in the group (what with the trouble they got themselves into).

We made it as far as 5th or 6th level. Starting at 1st level, we had a lot more opportunity to develop our characters as individuals and as a group. It allowed for some "bonding time." (even though our Fighter almost hit the Barbarian on several occasions, whether by an arrow or by a flask of acid).

We eventually had to disband. I'm trying to get another game going, but this time with hopefully a few more people. I was gonna run a game in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, since it seems to have some pretty cool stuff in it. I also have a bunch of modules to run as miscellaneous adventures.

Our last campaign was basically a bunch of miscellaneous adventures stacked together with a plot in the background that the Players would sometimes learn a little bit more about. I also realized that I unintentionally made our last campaign a low-magic world, since I wasn't giving them as much magic items as I was supposed to. OOPS! But, it actually made the game a little more enjoyable, IMO. The game was more fun when magic was something mysterious and unique in the background. When magic items were used in the game, they were more powerful and more interesting than the average +1 Longsword or Ring of Protection. I even gave the Fighter a ring that would have many different powers that he would have to unlock. So far, he'd only gotten it to use Teleport and to insult him. :D

P.S.
Sorry for rambling. :D

Remove ads