• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeon Masters' Foundation

Acid_crash

First Post
I guess my first question got lost in the shuffle so I ask it again...

What steps would you take if you wanted to get a good group together down at the LGS?

I ask because I am doing something wrong...I leave my phone number and name, but is there more I should be doing? I know that this might seem like something a lot of you might know how to do but I am still relatively new and learning all this.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
ChaosEvoker said:
We JUST restarted our campaign so a player coudl be a Warlock

We don't restart. We just hold an amnesty day every once in a while and make sure any new stuff gets incorporated.

Acid_crash said:
I guess my first question got lost in the shuffle so I ask it again...

What steps would you take if you wanted to get a good group together down at the LGS?

I ask because I am doing something wrong...I leave my phone number and name, but is there more I should be doing? I know that this might seem like something a lot of you might know how to do but I am still relatively new and learning all this.
I'd try the WotC boards and post here. (I don't know if EN World has a similar forum, but I assume they do).

Re: Low-magic worlds: I've been doing the same thing in my Ravenloft game. Ideally, I'd like to make magic as rare and dangerous as possible (which is one reason for the Warlock rebuild). I use rituals much more than average spellcasting, and magic items are almost unheard of. To balance this out, I've allowed PCs to "spontaneously" create magic items through periods of IC stress. Basically, if thier character hates werewolves and hunts them relentlessly, the character's favorite short sword may spontaneously become a +1 werewolf bane short sword after a particularly difficult battle with the character's hated foe. (Note that the sword is only a bane weapon in regards to werewolves, not other lycanthropes). I find this makes the PC less likely to "dump" magic items they find. Of course, I still use potions (which IG are expertly crafted alchemical or herbal mixtures), scrolls, and wands (which function the same, but can be shaped like anything [ex. a wand of daylight may appear as a shiny brass lantern]).

Dyne said:
P.S.
Sorry for rambling.
Me too.

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Welcome to the DMF Y.O.Morales!

I haven't really tried much with a low magic world. I personally like the high magic levels, though I can see the advantages of a low magic world. But since everything in D&D does have a counter/weakness of some kind, I usually find that high-magic worlds aren't a problem.

ChaosEvoker said:
I haven't really tried much with a low magic world. I personally like the high magic levels, though I can see the advantages of a low magic world. But since everything in D&D does have a counter/weakness of some kind, I usually find that high-magic worlds aren't a problem.
I wouldn't call a high magic setting "problematic", it's just not my particular brand of vodka. Especially in Ravenloft, where knowledge is power (and often corrupting power), magic can be particularly frustrating for a DM. Of course, IMC, if a player throws a fireball anywhere near a town (and someone sees it), the PCs will most likely be branded witches and run out of town, or worse.

Last edited:

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Ouch, I see what you mean. Sounds like fun. My players tend to be reckless. For instance our Warlock got ticked, killed a commoner in the streets of WATERDEEP, and basically got run out of town. (Luckily he wasn't killed he managed to get away)

ChaosEvoker said:
Ouch, I see what you mean. Sounds like fun. My players tend to be reckless. For instance our Warlock got ticked, killed a commoner in the streets of WATERDEEP, and basically got run out of town. (Luckily he wasn't killed he managed to get away)
If you really want to discourage this kind of behavior, you may want to send a Justiciar (from Complete Warrior, I think) after him. Maybe the commoner was the favorite servant of a Merchant Lord or something, and he/she wants vengance for the loss. The PC doesn't have to be killed, but he may be put in prison for a while or forced to make some kind of penance.

Remove ads