• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Eldric Master.

Jay_Kinnear

First Post
Alright, recently I had heard that this is a amazing PrC so looking it up, I checked it, and I believe I find myself missing the greatness, so I'm wondering really quick what you guys think is so special about it, thanks ahead of time.

gfunk

First Post
I assume your talking about the Eldritch Master in Dragon #280, right?

It's alright. A great PrC for role-playing and flavor, but not optimal for the powergamer. Though the ability to choose spells from other class spell lists is potent. Also, what could be more cool than being able to scry on anyone who says your name? That rocks!

Kai Lord

Hero
gfunk said:
I assume your talking about the Eldritch Master in Dragon #280, right?

It's alright. A great PrC for role-playing and flavor, but not optimal for the powergamer. Though the ability to choose spells from other class spell lists is potent. Also, what could be more cool than being able to scry on anyone who says your name? That rocks!

Imagine an elven eldritch master who took two levels of arcane archer. Spell Dilletante (Harm) + Imbue Arrow + Manyshot feat = DAMN SKIPPY.

Macbrea

First Post
The class can get kind of abusive with stuff your not normally suppose to take. I believe the sorceror I was playing had planned on taking it at 11th to 20th. My goals were to take clerical, herald and paladin as my spell lists.

Herald and paladin lists definitely were not meant to be taken by someone that could be a 20th level spell caster.

Last edited:

Catalyst

First Post
The reason I didn't think the Eldritch Master was all that, is that is does not gain spell progression. No "+1 Effective Spellcasting Level" or whatever the term is...meaning if you can cast 5th level spells when you take it, you will only ever be able to cast up to 5th level spells while advancing in it.

Very, very few PrCs are worth taking for a spellcaster if you have to give up spell progression, even for a few levels IMHO...

drnuncheon

Explorer
Catalyst said:
The reason I didn't think the Eldritch Master was all that, is that is does not gain spell progression. No "+1 Effective Spellcasting Level" or whatever the term is...meaning if you can cast 5th level spells when you take it, you will only ever be able to cast up to 5th level spells while advancing in it.

Very, very few PrCs are worth taking for a spellcaster if you have to give up spell progression, even for a few levels IMHO...

Well...it does get spell progression, it's just in a funky way.

First off, its levels add to your previous arcane caster class for determining level-based effects - damage, duration, all that fun stuff. So your fireball is safe.

Second, you get 'spell boost' 3 times over the course of the class, which raises the maximum level of spell you can cast by 1. So if you join at 10th level, able to cast 5th level spells, then 9 levels later you're casting 8th level spells. You slow down a bit but don't stop.

Third, and this only applies to sorcs and bards (but the class is made for them anyway), you get far more spells known than the standard sorcerer, widening your repertoire considerably. A Sor20 knows 5 1st level spells from the wizard/sorcerer list - a Sor10/Eldritch Master10 knows 15 from the wizard/sorcerer list and any two others she might pick.

J

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't suppose that Wizards has the Eldritch Master anywhere for download, does it? I don't get Dragon, but I've been wanting to take a look at the Eldritch Master for some time.

I'm assuming it's copyrighted. If not, could someone post it here?

LordAO

First Post
The reason the Eldritch Master doesn't give +1 level of spell progression is that it would be overbalanced if it does. The abilities it gives are extremely awesome! The best thing about it is the extra spells known. This is the most awesome class a Sorcerer could ever take! It gives a Sorcerer so many spells known it is insane, and he can even learn other classes' spells! Sorcerers with healing, etc... The thing about this class is that it is much better if taken at epic levels. You don't increase your spells/day beyond level 20 anyway! (though your caster level still increases) The spell boosts are effectively free improved spell capacity. All those free spells known are equivalent to many, many spell knowledge feats. The class skills are awesome, and it has some really cool special abilities too. And it also gives three bonus metamagic feats!! This class isn't weak, it's just the opposite, maybe even too powerful!

Kai Lord

Hero
LordAO said:
The reason the Eldritch Master doesn't give +1 level of spell progression is that it would be overbalanced if it does. The abilities it gives are extremely awesome! The best thing about it is the extra spells known. This is the most awesome class a Sorcerer could ever take! It gives a Sorcerer so many spells known it is insane, and he can even learn other classes' spells! Sorcerers with healing, etc... The thing about this class is that it is much better if taken at epic levels. You don't increase your spells/day beyond level 20 anyway! (though your caster level still increases) The spell boosts are effectively free improved spell capacity. All those free spells known are equivalent to many, many spell knowledge feats. The class skills are awesome, and it has some really cool special abilities too. And it also gives three bonus metamagic feats!! This class isn't weak, it's just the opposite, maybe even too powerful!

Agreed. Take the PrC from level 21 to 30 and you get probably more bang for the buck than any other route an epic sorcerer could take.

Lord Ben

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I don't suppose that Wizards has the Eldritch Master anywhere for download, does it? I don't get Dragon, but I've been wanting to take a look at the Eldritch Master for some time.

I'm assuming it's copyrighted. If not, could someone post it here?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing it too.

Remove ads