D&D 5E The Eldritch Knight...what am I missing?

krakistophales

First Post
What are people's experiences playing the EK? Is it worth it, or is it a trap option compared to martial/full armor clerics and multiclass? Why or why not?

zaratan

First Post
EK normaly isn't one of best options at low lvl, but is great at high ones. You can really multiclass with any class, you can dump Int and invest in another stat.

EK11/sorcerer x is fantastic, you can attack 3 times (6 with action surge or even 7 with haste) and cast spells with your bonus action, enemies will save with desadvantage. Or twin booming blade and than attack one more time. You will be way better in melee than a cleric, but you'll not have high lvl spells.

EK 7/warlock 2/rogue X let you cast eldritch blast and than make a hard attack.

basicly you're the worst subclass of fighter until lvl 7, than the magic start to happen, multiclassing or not.

Xeviat

Hero
It depends on what you're going for. Offensively, the cantrip+attack can be pretty effective compared to standard attack routines.

1d8+7 x2 would be 23 damage from a one handed weapon with duelist.

1d8+7 from weapon and 1d8+7 +1d8 Fire and 1d8+2 fire to a second target with green flame blade is pretty nice (27.5 to one, 6.5 to a second).

Catching multiple targets in a burning hands can be useful at low levels, but I tend to feel that their spell slots are better used defensively.

Don't compare the EK to a Cleric; the EK doesn't have cantrip+attack and two attacks and action surge and second wind and everything else the fighter has. Even comparing to the paladin is a little lacking.

Compare to the Battle Master. I still firmly believe that the BM has too many superiority dice at 3rd level (more than the monk has ki at 3rd level), which makes the EK look bad, but I think the EK is fine.

krakistophales

First Post
So is EK just one of those archetypes that blooms in the mid to high levels as opposed to early on like BM?

Should an EK be played with INT or without? I like blasting as well as the utility of haste/blur/etc. to help with melee. How about the options, like cantrip+bonus attack or spell+bonus attack, aren't these lackluster compared to the BM or paladin/cleric?

ccs

41st lv DM
With how you posed the question, I'll bet you're missing alot.
Because in my xp the only people who see options as traps are those who think in terms of builds, not characters. They get too caught up in the mechanical pros/cons of a choice.

zaratan

First Post
yes, EK is lackluster at low lvls compared to BM or paladin, but is an amazing class in later game.

comparing EK with cleric is impossible, EK is waaaaay better martial and melee than cleric. Cleric is a full caster and is waaaaay better in this (but at lvl 10 EK can do desadvantage in save throws to any enemy he attack, and he can attack many. None full caster have something like that).

About Int, if you don't want to multiclass, don't dump Int. If you want to multiclass, EK/sorc, EK/warlock or EK/bard are more optimized than EK/wiz, so dump Int and invest in Cha. If you only want to attack and buff, yoo can dump int and only invest in physical stats. As I said, at lvl 14 (EK 11/Sorc 3) you can make 6 attacks with action surge, and than cast a spell with your bonus action (and the targets will save with desadvantage). remember that a booming blade at high levels can do 7d8 + the melee attack damage. Ranged EK are great too.

If you're with a group, starting at lvl 1 and low probability to go close to lvl 20, I wouldn't go with EK. Starting at high lvls, would be one of my first options.

krakistophales

First Post
With how you posed the question, I'll bet you're missing alot.
Because in my xp the only people who see options as traps are those who think in terms of builds, not characters. They get too caught up in the mechanical pros/cons of a choice.

Exactly this. I'm looking at the class from a purely mechanical, optimization perspective, and care nothing for "characters". Can you still help me?

Remove ads