• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The EN World FREE Character Portrait Request Thread!

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
My opinion as an observer and someone who appreciates the art here only, but to me the Half-dragon's take on some aspect of the parent/ancestor dragon type. Forward sweeping horns for the Black, fin-like aspect of the silver, etc. If you're going to the trouble of the detail, you might consider it.

GW

Tolen Mar

First Post
Mithril Dragon said:
On another note ... this thread is a ghost town. No offense Dead Radish, I know you are around. But aside from you and a few others it seems that nobody cares much what goes on here. Where are all the other artists who used to contribute? And where are all the folks who filled the previous pages with posts? Did I show up long after this thread's popularity died?

I feel the same way, I had even given up looking at this thread until the recent post listing unfilled requests was posted.

Mithril Dragon

First Post
Half Red Dragon

OK ... based on the (very helpful) comments / opinions that I received .. I present a new take on the half red dragon. Again this is just a sketch but it should give you all a good idea on where Im heading.

Red dragons seem to be the most sinister looking of the breed with heavy ridges of back-swept horns and a leering snout. My half dragon is an attempt to resolve those features with the basic facial anatomy of a human.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Gideon3.jpg
    Gideon3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 178

Mithril Dragon

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Mithril Dragon,

Awesome work man! When you get a chance would you mind drawing my guy?

Elijayess Moonshadow, Wild Elf Barbarian Archer

Elijayess is a rugged wild elf, though not as feral looking as some members of his race, due to years away from the harsh forests of his homeland. The strongest elf who ever lived, Elijayess is still lean and lithe. His rock-hard muscles look carved out of marble, but his elven heritage prevents him from being overly bulky. His nearly waist length black hair is fine and straight like that of a Native American, but he keeps it pulled back in a thick single braid. His long bangs would cover his eyes if he didn’t keep them swept to one side. His skin is dark.

His signature weapon is his mighty longbow. At first glance it appears crude for an elven weapon, not delicate and artistic but massive in its destructive capabilities. Few men alive possess the strength to draw the string to their ear, fewer still can string it. Countless men and beasts have been felled by the deadly bow of Elijayess.

His other weapons include an enchanted bastard sword inlaid with a slim mural of reptilian beasts along the middle of the blade (the sword possesses special enchantments against reptilian foes), and a dagger is sheathed on the outside of each of his shins, their handles protruding from his leather boots.

He wears form fitting buckskin pants and sleeveless leather armor on his torso, accentuating his muscular bare arms. A blood-red hooded cloak adorns his shoulders, and a quiver full of black feathered arrows is strapped across his back, over the cloak. His bastard sword hangs in a scabbard at his side and he wears a gold amulet around his neck.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

Kai Lord ... sorry I missed this. Consider Elijayess on my list.

EDIT: In fact, Kai Lord, given the lack of activity on this thread ... I may stop work on Gideon Redcloak and do Elijayess next. Im not sure IcyCool ever even checked back to see if his post got a response. If this thread stays "dead" Im not going to force the issue. I will just start posting my work on my personal thread and take requests there.

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
I'm not sure how many folks still read the thread, you're right. It seems to go in cycles - lots of people show up and post, then nothing happens, and they wander off, then an artist shows up, and more people show up....

I just keep it in my subscribed threads, and check in as needed. ;)

IcyCool

First Post
Mithril Dragon said:
I have a question for IcyCool and any half-dragon/dragon disciple experts out there. I was doing a quick series of concept sketches for Gideon Redcloak and I want to get some opinions on half-dragon appearance. So here are the sketches and my questions:

1. Do they have visible ears?
2. Do they have horns?
3. Are they heavily scaled? (I would assume so given their natural bonus to AC)
4. What sort of eyes do they have? Reptilian? Human? Other?

Mithril Dragon, sweet! Thanks for taking up "pen" for this character. Sorry I didn't check back right away, it's been my experience with this thread that you make a request, and the poor overworked artists get around to it about a month later.

The colored concept sketch definitely looks good. As to the look of a half-dragon, they tend to have features of their parent dragon type, and reds seem to have two head ridges that end in back pointing horns, a few chin horns/spikes, some small facial horns/spikes, and small fan-like "ears". Also, as to your questions about what I'd like him to look like. Yes, I'd like him as a fully developed half-dragon. Arrogantly noble, and feel free to take articstic license regarding the armor (I liked your suggestion). A normal medium size half dragon doesn't have wings, but a 10th level dragon disciple does (capable of flight), regardless of size.

To answer your questions above:
1. I'd imagine they have some sort of hearing organ.
2. If the parent dragon type has prominent horns, I'd say yes. Some small horns might be in order anyway.
3. While they don't necessarily need to be heavily scaled, I would think it is quite noticeable. (Take a look at the half dragon picture in the Monster Manual).
4. I'd go with reptilian/cat type eyes.

Thanks again for doing this!

Mithril Dragon

First Post
dead_radish said:
I'm not sure how many folks still read the thread, you're right. It seems to go in cycles - lots of people show up and post, then nothing happens, and they wander off, then an artist shows up, and more people show up....

I just keep it in my subscribed threads, and check in as needed. ;)

Well, I started posting here for two reasons. One - I felt like doing some artwork for folks who would appreciate the effort (and hopefully the results) and two - I was hoping to attract the attention of D20 publishers with my work. It may be best if I simply post within a more personal thread (which a lot of artists do here) or stick with getting my site gallery back up and pursue a more conventional method of getting professional attention.
Either way I will keep posting work from time to time ... it may just not be in this thread.
By the way ... did you ever post a character request?

IcyCool

First Post
For reference, here is the description block for a red dragon:
The dragon has horns extending back over the neck, frilled ears, and smaller horns at the cheeks and chin, with rows of horns over the brows. The nose is beak-like and sports a small horn. A frill begins behind the head and runs to the tip of the tail.

ThorneMD

First Post
I have a few requests for this thread.

Mithril Dragon feel free to try any of these out.

1. Lysian Alexael Vako (revised)
He is described as a moderately tall human with well-kept, short hair that is beginning to go gray. He stands 6’3” and weighs about 235 pounds. He is built like a soldier and walks with the look of experience. He is commonly seen wearing his black breastplate with an equally black helmet. He has a two-bladed scimitar with him and a cloak the color of fresh blood flows behind him.

2. Lancer
He stands 6’8", but is a leaner build then more modern Warforged. The metals with which he was created give him a dark rustic color that makes him appear worn out. He wears simple human clothes and makes every attempt to blend in, despite his obvious Warforged features. He wears a tan cover, to hide his lower face and hide the rest of his metal body as well, on top of which he also wear a traveler’s hat. In his hands he carries a well-made light lance, while a heavy looking backpack lies on his back.

3. The Disiples of Steel
Taka Michinoku [Half-Gold Dragon/Half-Elf Evoker/Archmage]
Blue Kimoto Bottom, All Black Quarterstaff, Red Silk Sash, Silk Headband with white pearl set in the middle, Golden metal necklace ending in a small ruby, Deep blue cloak, Katana with a blue hilt and a red sheath, Falcon on his shoulder, 5’11” (Current Picture attached)

Roscoe Tealeaf (Halfling Rogue/Deepwood Sniper/Cleric)
Empty Quiver on the back (Quiver of Ehlonna), Daggers lined across the chest, Deep green studded leather (studded leather made from Green Dragon Hide), Buckler mounted on this left hand, Two daggers hidden in his boots, Long blonde hair tied in a tight braid, Green eyes, Extremely short (2’6”), Composite shortbow.

Rurik Ungart (Dwarf Rogue/Fighter)
Long well kept beard, Deep Green Breastplate (Breatplate made from Green Dragon Scales), Two Dwarven War Axes (one in each hand), Arms completely covered in tatoos,

Motubo (Mul Barbarian/Cleric)
Mul (from Darksun) = Dwarf/Human mix absolutely no hair (no eyebrows, no hair, no etc.), extremely muscular, no fat. (super-high metabolism)
Simple Arabian clothing (tunic and pants), boots, Arabian headgear, Falchion with runes along the blade, sheathed on his left side, Mighty Composite Longbow on his back, holds a Frosted guisarme

Antif Darkwood (Half-Elf/Half-Blue Goblin Ranger/Psychic Warrior)
Blue tinged skin, long blue hair, Quiver of Ehlonna, Frost Mighty Composite Longbow, typical ranger clothing, no armor, usually on the back of Spike

Spike (Awakened Brown Bear Fighter) (Mount and Friend of Antif)
Typical Brown Bear wearing collar of mage armor, usually carring Antif

Ark (Immortal Human Barbarian/Rogue/Bear Warrior)
6' tall human in barbarian clothing, greatsword, Mighty Composite Longbow on back, Long Black hair braided, slight bear features

Edit: Fixed some character descriptions

Attachments

• Taka's Wanted Poster in Color.gif
    Taka's Wanted Poster in Color.gif
    198.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Remove ads