• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Enemy Within

Dr Simon

Explorer
Welcome to Altdorf

Aldorf, capital of the Empire. Within its impopsing walls stand the towers and domes of the Imperial Palace, the Temple of Sigmar and the many colleges of the University of Altdorf, all pressed in by three or four storey wood-framed houses and crammed with people from across the Empire and beyond, human and non-human alike.

The coach pulls up in the Königsplatz, a vast aquare on the northern side of the city before the steps of the imposing Rathaus. Here, coaches from Nuln, Middenheim and elsewhere all converge to disgorge their passengers.

You exit the coach to a tumult, with hawkers of all kinds rushing to take your bags and usher you to a particular inn. Cries of "Come to the Cat and Fiddle, best food and finest beds in town!" and "Angelino's! As seen in the Rough Guide to Altdorf!" and "Meat pies, get yer meat pies!" fill the air.

Hans notices, across the milling crowds, two men stood near the Rathaus steps. They are watching him. One of them lifts his hand and scratches his left ear, an obviously deliberate action.

Walking Dad

First Post
Gorim Grimmson

"Few know that the best piece of architecture of Altdorf is beneath our feet. Dwarfs build most of the sewer system."
Gorim declares to anyone interested..

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Gorim Grimmson
Perception: 12 Insight: 12 Low-light Vision
AC 17 Fortitude 16 Reflex 11 Will 12
Initiative: +1
Hit Points: 31 / 31 Bloodied: 15
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist:
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:7 Surges per day: 12 / 12
At-Will Powers: Brash Strike, Cleave
Encounter Powers: Dwarven Resilience, Hack and Hew
Daily Powers: Driving Attack

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
Hans notices, across the milling crowds, two men stood near the Rathaus steps. They are watching him. One of them lifts his hand and scratches his left ear, an obviously deliberate action.

OOC: Does Hans have a sense of what this means? Or who these guys are?

I'll make a Streetwise check just in case (ignore if not relevant).

Hans clears his throat. "We should secure rooms as soon as possible. At least get out of the middle of the street, in any event. That Cat and Fiddle looks good. I'll be getting a room there."

Keeping an eye on the men he noticed, Hans will casually stroll towards the Cat and Fiddle. Hans is careful never to completely turn his back on the men. Once inside, (assuming he makes it inside), Hans will go to the window and get a better look at the men and their position.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
The two men become agitated when Hans walks away across the square, with one of them repeating the ear-scratching motion in an ever-exagerrated effect. Suddenly they see something else across the square and step into the crowd. By the time Hans is ensconced in the Cat and Fiddle, the men are nowhere to be seen, nor is there anything to suggest who or what they saw.

Meanwhile, as Garold and the dwarves follow on behind, they are accosted by the door of the Cat and Fiddle by a man with a huge beard overlying a huge belly.

"Master Garold!" he exclaims. "What a pleasant surprise!"

[sblock=Hans]
The men were obviously trying to give some kind of signal, but it isn't one that Hans recognises.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Garold]
This is Josef Quartjin, a former retainer of your father. He left a couple of years ago to fulfill a long-held dream of buying a boat and travelling the waterways of the Empire. He is an old friend, and still drops by your father's estate from time to time when his travels on his barge, the Berebeli, take him there. This usually entails the consumption of quite a large amount of alcohol. Josef's passion for life is matched only by his ability to drink.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Josef Quartjin.jpg
    Josef Quartjin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Garold smiles broadly after getting off the coach. Having spent a lot of time here in the last year, he is accostomed to the bustle of Altdorf but still finds it exciting and busy.

With all the commotion, Garold doesn't notice the men or the signal from across the square. (bad perception)

He comfortably follows Hans's lead to the Cat and Fiddle, taking in the sights and smells of the city. Garold recognizes he isn't going to be rooming at his small dormitory near the University. Alternate lodgings will be necessary.

When Josef greets him. Garold gives the large man a greeting hug and pat on the back, "Josef! It has been too long! I am sorry I missed you when you came out last season. I was here in Altdorf. How have you been? What are you doing in Altdorf? You didn't sink your barge, did you?" He is joking around with the large man.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Gorim Grimmson

Gorim watches the bearded man carefully. He seems to be a good person, judging by his beard.

[sblock=OOC]
The bearded man is a human, right?

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Gorim Grimmson
Resist:
At-Will Powers: Brash Strike, Cleave
Encounter Powers: Dwarven Resilience, Hack and Hew
Daily Powers: Driving Attack

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Yes, the man is human, although he does have a dwarfish look.

Josef pretends to take offence. "Sunk?! Why you little...!" he says and adopts a mock fighting pose before breaking out into a grin. "No, the old Berebeli's fine. I'm just on my way through, stocking up on supplies before I head off to Bögenhafen. What brings you to Altdorf? Still studying them old books?"

FourMonos

First Post
"Ah, more or less. I mean, mostly it is interesting. The history of the Empire, the teachings of Sigmar, things you wouldn't know without someone experienced teaching you. For example, I just learned the sewers of this fine city were made by dwarves!"

Garold gives a sly wink to Gorim.

"But to be honest, I find the sitting part of learning so... boring! I miss running around with my brothers. Part of me wants to get out and explore."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Josef throws his arms open expressively.

"Well, why not join me on the Berebeli?" he says. "Wolmar and Gilda have their hands full with their new baby, I could use some help, even if you just come with me to Bögenhafen. Better than being cooped up in that University." He leans in conspiritorially. "I hear it's full of necromancers and demonologists anyway." He turns to the dwarves. "But forgive my manners," he says with a bow. "Are you gentlemen friends of Master Garold? Josef Quartjin at your service, sirs."

Walking Dad

First Post
Gorim Grimmson

Gorim waits for the Alaghor to reply first. But after a few moments of silence he says: "Gorim Grimmson. We just happened to travel in the same direction."

[sblock=OOC]

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Gorim Grimmson
Resist: