The Expanse (Spoilers)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The finale had a really fun Easter Egg. Not going to get too spoilery, but, at one point there was a team of commandos assembled and the writers had a lot of fun putting together a really "impressive" list of those commandos!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-164154.png
    Screenshot_20220114-164154.png
    693.7 KB · Views: 91

briggart

Adventurer
I'm not sure if the Spoilers tag means just the show or also the books, so I won't go into details, but the decision to include the Strange Dogs storyline felt weird to me. By all accounts, they knew going into season 6 that this would be the last, so why include it into an already cramped season? That plotline is totally separated from everything else and its main purpose is to set up things that would be relevant in books 7-9. Also, it would be easy to slightly alter the timeline so that those events happened shortly after the war, and could have easily been moved to an eventual season 7, or skipped if the show stopped at 6. Instead they felt they had to film those, which I guess did incur a not negligible cost since it required new actors, sets, assets, etc. Moreover they wanted to show it in the main episodes, rather than as the bonus content. It's likely wishful thinking, but this makes me fell that more expanse is coming.

MarkB

Legend
I'm not sure if the Spoilers tag means just the show or also the books, so I won't go into details, but the decision to include the Strange Dogs storyline felt weird to me. By all accounts, they knew going into season 6 that this would be the last, so why include it into an already cramped season? That plotline is totally separated from everything else and its main purpose is to set up things that would be relevant in books 7-9. Also, it would be easy to slightly alter the timeline so that those events happened shortly after the war, and could have easily been moved to an eventual season 7, or skipped if the show stopped at 6. Instead they felt they had to film those, which I guess did incur a not negligible cost since it required new actors, sets, assets, etc. Moreover they wanted to show it in the main episodes, rather than as the bonus content. It's likely wishful thinking, but this makes me fell that more expanse is coming.
If nothing else, it feels like a bid to leave the door open for more series / movies.

Staffan

Legend
The finale had a really fun Easter Egg. Not going to get too spoilery, but, at one point there was a team of commandos assembled and the writers had a lot of fun putting together a really "impressive" list of those commandos!
OK, other than the leads, I can ID 17 of those names. Any help with the rest?
Ackbar - Star Wars
Quaid - Total Recall
Idaho - Dune
Bowman - 2001
Shepard - Mass Effect
Ripley, Vasquez, Hicks, Hudson - Aliens
Deckard - Blade Runner
O'Neil - Stargate
Rico - Starship Troopers
Starr - Spaceballs
Thrace - Battlestar Galactica
Connor - Terminator
Flynn - Tron
Riker - Star Trek TNG

MarkB

Legend
Ackbar - Star Wars
Quaid - Total Recall
Idaho - Dune
Bowman - 2001
Shepard - Mass Effect
Deckard - Blade Runner
O'Neil - Stargate
Rico - Starship Troopers
Starr - Spaceballs
Connor - Terminator
Flynn - Tron
Riker - Star Trek TNG
The rest were the members of Burton's squad, and had an actual on-screen appearance, so they presumably didn't get easter-egg names.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Ackbar - Star Wars
Quaid - Total Recall
Idaho - Dune
Bowman - 2001
Shepard - Mass Effect
Deckard - Blade Runner
O'Neil - Stargate
Rico - Starship Troopers
Starr - Spaceballs
Connor - Terminator
Flynn - Tron
Riker - Star Trek TNG

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Odds are that most of the episodes were already in the can, when they got news that they were cancelled. Pretty typical stuff for a series that has the rug pulled out from under it, to not have everything neatly tied-up.
From what I'm reading, that's unlikely. The series was renewed for a sixth and final season in November 2020, filming starting in January 2021. They knew going in it was the final season.
I think rather than the stuff on Lacona being an unfinished story line because of cancellation, it is a dangling thread to use as a potential spin-off.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
From what I'm reading, that's unlikely. The series was renewed for a sixth and final season in November 2020, filming starting in January 2021. They knew going in it was the final season.
I think rather than the stuff on Lacona being an unfinished story line because of cancellation, it is a dangling thread to use as a potential spin-off.
Right, likely leaving it open to the unlikely possibility of getting a ratings and/or fan save. It does feel like they expected to have more than 6 episodes for the season tho. Pacing feels very odd in the last few eps.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases