The Exploits of Javelin Company, RHC Flint Chapter [Starting Cauldron Born!]

al_fredo

First Post
The Obsurati Strike Back....or Mission Failure!

Or...how I'm a bad DM!

So...with the team down to 3 PCs, and the fact that I didn't level them up to 9 yet, I took out most of the guards of the final depot fight and/or fought ineffectively.

I had one enemy mage who hit the first time, and then I'd auto miss the next rounds.
3 Musketeers firing every other rough.
2 guards
Lya
Bree/Verzuabak/Ottavia (who made it) -didn't engage.

Figured that was fair.

The team thought their cover, fake Ob rings, and rudimentary disguises were good enough. They actually worked OK for a bit on the train. As the lantern is turned on, and they see the depot now filled with people, they pull up in a carriage trying to bluff their way in.

They say "We're here for the meeting"
Guard: "Um, we're not expecting anyone...you have the wrong place"
Party: "Caius Bergeron sent us".
Guard: "Let's me check"

Guard goes inside and talks to Nicodemus. Meanwhile, Bree is still on the platform (though she was partially fooled that the party was in on the OB)...but so Lya, who can totally recognize them, especially our very unique Drow-type elf Character. She cannot blend in.

Nico: "Welcome, I'm surprised to see you"
Party: "I know what your thinking, but Caius sent us and we all have rings to prove our membership"
-- Rolling meaningless Bluff Check
Nico: "Do you now? Hmm, They might have fooled a few people but not me. Lya! -- Your friends from the RHC are here."

So...at this point the party felt that they were getting railroaded into battle, but they just tried to bluff their way past the leader of the OB who not only has seen them before (unknown to the party), but probably knows everyone who has a ring...at the very least, who should be at this meeting - especially, not coming on the train just walking up.

So everyone attacks. The party tries to Parlay, but Lya basically says that they've seen to much and can't be allow to leave. My parties tactics were poor. Probably from not playing in a while, but they rushed in...and for some reason didn't immediately use their dailies. I thought I said they had an extended rest after Odiem, but they might not have accounted for it.

Anyways, Lya's first close attack chops off the hand of rogue. They agreed that they had to leave. Next turn the dash for the carriage that they come in on, and run away. Lya, can't give chase. I could have done something here to stop them, but I was confused. Lya will give chase and wants them dead. I saw a TPK coming - if those stuns hit, it's really game over (which I then started to miss always). Figured Lya shouldn't die, but neither should they...so I let them get away.

They had great contacts in Venderice. Enclave, Port and a mage. They got to the mage, and ruled that will all of that in place, it was enough to get their safely. Sure, Lya herself could have given chase, but I wondered what that would get me. Another fight where she probably can take all 3 easily. So either she kills everyone, or chases them, gets wounded and runs off.

And so they didn't really learn that much. They charged in before they could spy on the meeting - mostly because when Delft contacted to 'capture or kill' anyone, they figured blunt force was the way to go...even though they just said "maybe we should just gather info". So they don't know why this meeting took place, got a hand chopped off (figuring out how to deal with this), have no prisoner...but at least know that Lya and her brother are involved in the Ob. The party said they didn't know how well Lya could spot them, and would have reconsidered...they didn't really remember Mission 1.

So this was a down mission for them, which hey...you can't win them all. the OB strikes back. Fitting because Lya looks like Carrie Fisher (leia), and Luc looks like Mark Hamil (Luke)...and then I had Lya cut somebody's had off. We were laughing about that Luc/Lya & Luke/Leia...I hope that was intentional!!!

On to level 10!

al_fredo

First Post
Starting Cauldron Born

[Players just got 'Han' without me prompting!]

And we off on Cauldron Born!

We lost our Veshki Wizard player, but gained Skyseer Sorcerer. Our Thief changed her lame generic theme, for Vekeshi...which suits her moods better! So, we are back with 4PCs. Yerasol Fighter, Medium Cleric, Skyseer Sorcerer, Vekeshi Rogue.

Retooled all characters equipment from scratch at 22,000gp. Figured there was no harm.

Prelude:
Jump in with the carriage chase. It went pretty well, and the musketeers did better at range than the PCs for sure. They targeted the horses, and I ruled that 1 paniked horse cause the enemies just to 'keep up'. Finally they killed one horse on both carriages can that caused them to wreck.

They did not swoop around to clean up!!! Oh well!

Get to the briefing. One of my players is STILL suspcious of Delft. It's awesome. Handed out the materials, most of it we had. I didn't like 'nicodemus' being called out like that on the materials. I redacted some stuff.

Introduced the B-team. I'ts unclear to me whether they get one each or all. I gave them all six. They go to the docks, meet Brakken and calm the bear. They notice the Kell thugs watching, but didn't really know what to do about it.

Arasby comes on the scene and does his thing. PCs are like "now this?? as if we don't have enough to do!" But are happy they have at least 2 days to deal with it. They leave him be, and are unconcerned about following. They DID beat him in Adv1.

B-team: get to the cafe, and explosions. CLIFFHANGER!

They are psyched to take out Kell. They hate him, and one PC used to work for him. Same character also happened to have her hand cutoff by Lya. I 'mage attached' it with vague consequences yet to happen. I figure a random penalty or save occasionally will do (esp if she's switching weapons), until she maybe seeks out Recklinghausen. Open to ideas.

Need to read up on the Kell takedown mechanics...looks great - but questions! How do PCs know Optimal/Minimum? Should they be aware of what type of missions they can run? Should they know what gets them a strike, and how many they need?

al_fredo

First Post
Cauldron Born...going after the dwarves

Update:

And we're at the university. The B-team is spooked. Following their orders to the letter, they decide that best course of action is to leave the area and get Brakken somewhere safe.

I trigger the unlucky Dwarf, and they interrogate him a bit (I actually had to prompt them to search him), heal him up, but ultimately he dies. When the 2nd explosion happens while the constables are poking around the damage of the first, the snipers open up. They just run away.

Thinking about consequences of this...they stopped none of it!

The A-team is still "planning" to the B-team decides to go back to the university a few hours later. The come across the local PD who took out the snipers, and they recover the forged work order and Soknik Repairs. They immediate head there.

Kvarity isn't there at this time of time, so no sniper. The business is closed. They break in and find the trap door. Through the tunnels, and 1-2 members of the B-team are walloped by the rune trap...and they figured out the word-rune-ice trap in time with no damage (as one of an eschaltol, I eliminated some words to help).

They turn the corner and it's ANT SWARM time. It turns out, the ants are devastating. In a single width hallway, the ants are wrecking shop. The skeletons are barely involved and the dwarves are not even revealing. The B-Team has VERY FEW ranged or area attacks. And really only 1 healing word...assuming they had a 1 healing surge (maybe second wind). Anyway, 2 of 6 go down, they are able to stabilize with heal checks.

We ended the session with them still in the hallway, and likely pulling out and getting the A-team. They finally just killed the ants.

So, not sure if I handled this right. I said that there are some encounters that the B-team is not suited for. That's why they are the b-team! They'll likely come back with A, I'm guessing Kvarity may or may not be there. The dwarves will now know their location is compromised, so no need to protect it. If they go back, I'll have the ants again, and the skeletons, but no dwarves. Guessing I'll leave some clues there, but wouldn't they cover their tracks and burn everything? As always...they are off the rails to start!

I figure anything that makes the PCs seem cooler is good. So while bumbling around as the B team might be awkward, it highlights the heroism of Face, Murdock, Hannibal, and B.A.

al_fredo

First Post
A-team provides relief from dwarves

So...the B-team pulls back out of the caverns...and calls in the A-team. They come in, and I had the Dwarves NOT be there (nor Kvarity again)....and it's easy-peasy. They find some documents, but others are charred and need some lab work (they are here Summer 8 night, so it's early).

I do the Grappa exposition...and the team is like...OK. Let's go kill Kell. So I introduce the mini-game here, and it's a bit of eyes glazing over. But they finally got it. I quickly realized that the officers can only do 1 mission A DAY...so i realize now that they will have it tough. I kinda want Kell to kill the b-team and get away. But anyway...they basically spend a whole day of the 9th sending out their team...as well as going on a mission themselves (Busting up a transaction). They will probably make it. I then gaven them their stipend. Common items only!

I also realize that there are few possible combats that no maps have been provided. Anyone reading this got any suggestions (aka, Kell safe house, Augst in the tavern, etc)?

Basically a few skill rolls...I can tell my party getting antsy about using their new powers to the fullest...a possible Gale fight is coming, but the big one might the Malice beasts. We'll see how that plays out.

Also, been thinking about how to penalize them for completely running away from pardwright. Officers desert?

Falkus

Explorer
Also, been thinking about how to penalize them for completely running away from pardwright. Officers desert?

One idea: Increase the difficulty of missions that take place in that part of the city owing to the heightened chaos and general panic.

Remove ads