D&D 5E The Fall of Blackmoor (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Jacobim

"The needle!" he says, with almost childish glee. He had always wanted to see the ancient structure with his own eyes, and perhaps, more importantly, to stumble across some of its ancient secrets."The needle will do just fine, for now".

With a chilling confidence unusual for one so young, he adds: "Now, do you have some sort of initiation ritual for me to join the patrol in question?"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Ngoya and Jacobim

Lattimer sighs, no longer able to hide his consternation, "Well, normal recruits have to train for a few weeks. If you can prove your skills, you don't have to worry about that."

He looks at Ngoya, then back at Jacobim, "You, uh, you have to understand, we can't guarantee your safety. I mean, its dangerous out there."

Jacobim had an idea where Lattimer's hesitance was coming from. The DuGall family sent their youngest son out with an expedition two years ago and the lad was killed. The DuGall patriarch responded by having the survivors of the expedition publicly beaten, whipped, and hanged. The leader of the expedition was taken to the DuGall estate and never seen again.

Jeremiah

OOC: Where to from here?

Din Din

Gareth Silvertongue had an easy time getting past the guards at the front gate thanks to the "influence" of his cousin. He soon found himself in the crowded marketplace, various vendors vying for his attention and gold.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Jeremiah

After renting his room for the night and leaving his pack there, Jeremiah asks the proprietor if he's heard of any work for 'small folk' like them. Maybe as a scout that can fight well enough, tend to wounded with some skill, and find fresh food or water out in the wilderness beyond the city walls? Especially if they need a contact in the Scavengers Guild to help with any unusual items found in the ruins of the past.

After a midday meal and drink, Jeremiah ventures back out to wander around the market some more and see what he can see. He buys a Healer's Kit if he can find one for 5 gold or less. Then he checks out any Blacksmith's in the area to see if any are friendly enough to him as a potential customer that he might consider asking them if he can hire on as an assistant smith later, if more lucrative employment isn't found in short order.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Din Din (as Gareth Silvertongue)

The handsome young man who is referred to as Gareth Silvertongue, strides confidently into the city of Blackmoor. Every vendor and merchant receives a warm smile, and a pretty lady is treated to a wink and a bow. Yes, Gareth is pleased to be in the city.

Wearing a suit of leather armor, a bit worn but otherwise of decent quality, a crossbow hanging from his belt by a metal hook and carrying a backpack filled with his belongings, Gareth does not look as well as he wants to. Using his quarterstaff as a walking stick, the rogue walks a few blocks to search for an inn to rent a room for a day and change out of his travel gear and into something more comfortable. A warm bath would also be nice, to wash off the smell of sweat and dirt. Later he would find a place to store his belongings; somewhere he could reach them even when using another disguise.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Jacobim

"How do you wish for me to prove my skills?" he answers, with a smirk. As he says this, his clothes and hair flutter in an unnatural way and his eyes glow red. Grabbing his wand, he then suddenly seems to be surrounded by blades that protrude from the ground randomly around him. He then gestures towards the recruits that were called to attention when he approached, mumbles unintelligible words, and smiles with satisfaction afterwards.

OOC: Casting of prestidigitation, followed by minor illusion and then sleep

HP of men affected by sleep: [roll0]

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION], are you still with us?

Jeremiah

Bareil Glassfoot recommends Jeremiah find Lattimer if Jeremiah is interested in scouting, though he also offers a warning - more than half of Lattimer's patrols do not return.

There are several local blacksmiths, only one of which seems the least bit friendly, an old dwarf, apparently a clanless outcast, who smokes more than he works the forge. The foul smelling weed he has in his pipe is "for his bones" or so he says. Olgred is the old dwarf's name and he would be willing to take on an apprentice as he has no one to pass his business on to when he dies.

Ngoya and Jacobim

As most of the recruits lump to the ground in slumber, Lattimer curses, loudly, "All right, all right, you've proved yourself. No more, please! Uh...my lord."

Andus, the only recruit still standing, looks around at his fellows, unsure of what to do or how to wake them.

Din Din

OOC: See page 157 of the Player's Handbook and let me know what sort of lifestyle Din Din intends to maintain.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Ngoya

[sblock=ooc] Sorry didn't realise you were waiting for me. :eek: In my last post I indicated that Ngoya would wait for Lattimers judgement on Jacobim[/sblock]

Ngoya nods at the power expended by this tribeless boy Jacobim, evidently he was skilled in some form of magic and could prove useful despite his appearance. She turns to Lattimer, ignoring the prostrate forms of the sleeping warriors. "When will you be briefing us on the mission?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Jacobim

As most of the recruits lump to the ground in slumber, Lattimer curses, loudly, "All right, all right, you've proved yourself. No more, please! Uh...my lord."
Andus, the only recruit still standing, looks around at his fellows, unsure of what to do or how to wake them.

"Very well" Jacobin says indulgently. "I am glad I am up to your standards!" he adds light-heartedly, to decrease the tension. I will need these plebs' hearts if we are to be brothers in arms. he thinks to himself. He could still hear his father's oft spoken words the proletariat must love us if we want our power to remain unchallenged..."

He then eyes Andus and Ngoya. "I will want these two close to me, as my personal guards". He pauses a second, and somewhat over-theatrically, he says, bowing his head: "Where are my manners! Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Jacobim Mugatu the 7th, at the city's and your service".

She turns to Lattimer, ignoring the prostrate forms of the sleeping warriors. "When will you be briefing us on the mission?"

Nodding at Ngoya's words, "Indeed, I am quite eager to learn of the details".

Phoenix8008

First Post
Jeremiah

Jeremiah thanks Bareil for the information and the meal, then heads out to look at the local blacksmiths. After several bad encounters, the gnome finally finds Olgred the Smith and stays chatting with him for awhile. "I learned my smithing from dwarves when I was adopted by them, you know. Very good metal work they do. I could never use as big of a hammer as my 'father', but my detail work is marvelous. I'd be happy to show you some time. In fact, I'll show you some of the plans I've drawn up for a few clockwork items I saw long ago in my childhood and am trying to replicate again. I just haven't gathered the materials I need to build any of them yet. "

Later on, Jeremiah leaves Olgred's shop with a promise to return soon. He asks after the guard Lattimer and gets directions the area where he could be found. Coming upon the area, he sees a sudden magical display erupt around a human standing there, followed by some of the guards slumping to the ground, seemingly asleep.

Approaching the group, the gnome introduces himself. "Greetings, I am Jeremiah and would like to hear about this mission your group is taking on. I was directed to your patrol and may like to accompany you, if you'll have me of course." Those that are still awake, see a 3 foot, 10 inch tall rock gnome, with gray hair and a moustache and short beard on his chin. He has a leather smiths apron worn over his scale mail armor, and a small mace hangs on one side of his belt, while a small sized shield is slung over his left shoulder. His boots and gloves look well worn, but serviceable, and the crows feet at the corners of his eyes attest to many days outside squinting in the sunlight. He smiles, looking up at the group with a curious gaze, wondering how they'll react to him.

Remove ads