• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

The Fall of Plaguestone

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)/Hallod’s home
Summer/Day 3/0925
Weather: Normal for the season (hot), light wind, heavy rain
Round 0

Grimsby tried to open the door but found it locked.

OOC: I need two Thievery checks to try and pick the lock (DC 15 each), or an Athletics check (DC 20) to try and break it down, or some damage rolls if you decide to hack it down (40 damage).

@Leatherhead
@VLAD the Destroyer
@FitzTheRuke
@Kaodi
@JustinCase


Silvi (+7) AC 13 HP 13/19(13) (drained 6)
Hiromi (+6) AC 17 HP 17/17
Pakuten (+3) AC 18 HP 16/16
Grimsby (+7) AC 17/16(clumsy) HP 25/25
Mortimer (+8) AC17 HP 16/16

Find Hallod
Help Sir Lawrence quiet Talmore’s ghost.

Party XP: 210
 

log in or register to remove this ad

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mortimer Pendergast feels restless, waiting for news about whether the whole caravan would be convicted of a crime they could not, in Mortimer's mind, have committed. Surely as a former barrister he could make a good case for the defense, if not for the agonizing unwillingness of the local sheriff to let him borrow Isgeri law books. By now Mortimer is convinced the man doesn't actually have any and is just winging it.

So what can he do?

He recalls the pretty dancer, a scoundrel he's sure, asked him to help her out in investigating a lead. Perhaps he should follow.. what's her name again? Hiromi, and the others.

The tall man fondly recalls his days as a law student, wandering the streets at night and getting into, well, it's not trouble if nobody finds out, eh?

It hardly takes any effort to find the party, but to catch up with them without running...

Hiromi heard a soft noise in the hallway behind them and looked to see Mortimer climbing down the ladder. She'd seen the man by the Feedmill and had asked him if he'd like to join them, but he had not been there when they set out.

"You're lucky you missed it," she whispered to him as he caught up, "We had to put down some poor, abused dogs. We were just about to try this door."

Then she waved to Grimsby to try the door while she got ready to flip a dagger at anything that might jump out at them from the other side.
Mortimer nods at her and then everyone in turn, with the tiniest of smiles. He stays behind Hiromi, not drawing any weapons.

"Are the dogs going to be a problem for our legal predicament?" he whispers, his mind going over the implications to the already unfair trial.

Grimsby tried to open the door but found it locked.

OOC: I need two Thievery checks to try and pick the lock (DC 15 each), or an Athletics check (DC 20) to try and break it down, or some damage rolls if you decide to hack it down (40 damage).
"I'm sure someone can get that lock open," he says, turning his head ever so slightly towards Hiromi.

"The best locks, I've found, have a completely closed box around their tumblers so to avoid anyone from moving the inner parts with, say, a long thin silver hook."

From seemingly nowhere exactly such an object appears in his hand, and he waves it at the lock.

"Oh look, it's not that good a lock."

OOC: The Cooperative Nature ancestry feat means I get a +4 bonus on Aid checks. So perhaps I can Aid someone with opening that lock with Thievery? :)

Aid thievery: 1D20+6+4 = [16]+6+4 = 26

Edit: And woohoo! I'm finally playing! :D Sorry you had to wait for me, guys!
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hiromi was about to get her leather folder of little tools out when Mortimer produced just the right pick for the job. She took it quickly and put it in its place, and sure enough it fit just right. For a brief moment it crossed her mind that Mortimer could be involved in some sort of set-up - late for the fight and then too perfectly convenient, but she dismissed it as her mother's influence (always suspicious of others). Mortimer was here to help, she told herself, hoping she was right.

 

Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)/Hallod’s home
Summer/Day 3/0930
Weather: Normal for the season (hot), light wind, heavy rain
Round 0

Hiromi’s deft fingers, with Mortimer’s help, picked the lock on the heavy door and heaved it open. The door opened into a small corridor with no notable features except a large metal wheel on the wall that apparently operated the cage that had freed the dogs. The corridor opened into a large room that seemed to be a living space. A fire pit stood in the northeast corner, a crude table in the center of the room, and a cot against the west wall. The room was a mess. There were three exits from the room. In the southwest corner was a doorway with a curtain hanging over it. Across the room on the east wall was an open doorway that looked like it might lead to a storage room of some kind. And in the southeast corner of the room was an open passageway that seemed to lead off into darkness.

@Leatherhead
@VLAD the Destroyer
@FitzTheRuke
@Kaodi
@JustinCase


Silvi (+7) AC 13 HP 13/19(13) (drained 6)
Hiromi (+6) AC 17 HP 17/17
Pakuten (+3) AC 18 HP 16/16
Grimsby (+7) AC 17/16(clumsy) HP 25/25
Mortimer (+8) AC17 HP 16/16

Find Hallod
Help Sir Lawrence quiet Talmore’s ghost.

Party XP: 210
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hiromi made hand gestures for everyone to keep quiet and stay out of line-of-fire of the curtain, in case someone was hiding back there with a crossbow, and she slipped quietly across the room. She listened for breathing or movement from behind the curtain for a quick moment, and then moved the curtain to reveal behind it, while staying off to the side.

 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mortimer quietly moves forward, peeking inside but waiting for Hiromi to give the signal.

As much as he is interested in what the others have found out so far, he is well aware that he has to wait a little longer before asking questions.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)/Hallod’s home
Summer/Day 3/0935
Weather: Normal for the season (hot), light wind, heavy rain
Round 0

The living area was a mess, but Hiromi managed to creep through it without issue. She moved the curtain aside a bit to reveal what looked to be a lavatory. It was little more than an open pit in the floor. It also seemed to be where Hallod disposed of his garbage. There were scraps
of moldy food and bits of junk in the corners of the room. She also saw a bunch of small, identical bottles scattered amongst the trash. There was no one in the room.

@Leatherhead
@VLAD the Destroyer
@FitzTheRuke
@Kaodi
@JustinCase


Silvi (+7) AC 13 HP 13/19(13) (drained 6)
Hiromi (+6) AC 17 HP 17/17
Pakuten (+3) AC 18 HP 16/16
Grimsby (+7) AC 17/16(clumsy) HP 25/25
Mortimer (+8) AC17 HP 16/16

Find Hallod
Help Sir Lawrence quiet Talmore’s ghost.

Party XP: 210
 



Pak follows the others into the room. He scans the room and positions himself so he was able to keep an eye on the two other entrances. He waits for the others to finish their initial search of the living area. Noting the wheel used to release the dogs Pak speaks trying to keep his voice low to prevent it from carrying to far.

"We may want to hurry. He was here to release the dogs. If we delay to long he may escape."

Putting action to his words Pak moves towards the east doorway. He makes sure to not cross the path of the southeast passage in case someone was waiting to shoot the first person down the hall.

OOC: Let me know if I can get to the door on the east wall without crossing the open passageway. If I can I'll peek into the possible storage room.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Into darkness we must tread," Mortimer whispers to himself, moving up to the open passageway in the southeast corner.

He moves quietly, as if he tries very hard not to be heard but wanting to make it seem like he doesn't try to.

"I assume we must follow this fellow to prove his guilt and by extension, our innocence?" he says, peering into the darkness ahead.
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)/Hallod’s home
Summer/Day 3/0940
Weather: Normal for the season (hot), light wind, heavy rain
Round 0

Hiromi took a sniff at one of the bottles in the lavatory. It had a silvery residue in the bottom and smelled strongly of iron and something terribly acrid.

The remains of a juggernaut mutagen.

There is something sweet smelling in the mix.

Grimsby poked at the fire pit. It was warm, but hadn’t seen too recent use, as the season was hot this time of year. The coals were banked for cooking and to keep it ready for its next use. As he surveyed the living area, he could see various bits of gear scattered about the place, a whetstone, a dagger, 15 feet of rope, a hammer, 2 candles, and a coin purse. He also spotted under the cot a stout wooden chest banded with iron and closed with a simple lock.

Pak peeked into the storage room. It appeared to be a larder filled with scraps of old meat, a third of a wheel of cheese, a sack of turnips, and a barrel of weak ale. There was also a crate of empty wine bottles in one corner. They are all of a good Chelish vintage and were probably quite valuable.

Mortimer looked down the southeastern passage. It disappeared into darkness.

@Leatherhead
@VLAD the Destroyer
@FitzTheRuke
@Kaodi
@JustinCase


Silvi (+7) AC 13 HP 13/19(13) (drained 6)
Hiromi (+6) AC 17 HP 17/17
Pakuten (+3) AC 18 HP 16/16
Grimsby (+7) AC 17/16(clumsy) HP 25/25
Mortimer (+8) AC17 HP 16/16

Find Hallod
Help Sir Lawrence quiet Talmore’s ghost.

Party XP: 210
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Canna' be too far, tha pit's primed for cooking still." Grimsby points out the various objects, and especially the chest. "Could be somethin' in 'ere, if'n ya think we have time."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"How much of a head start did the dogs give him?" Mortimer asks with genuine interest.

"Can you carry the chest with you?"

With a small smile, he adds, "Charges of theft are insubstantial when it is obvious we are trying to reunite the chest with its owner."

OOC: Does a man of, roughly, Hallod's size fit in the chest? :unsure::LOL:
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)/Hallod’s home
Summer/Day 3/0945
Weather: Normal for the season (hot), light wind, heavy rain
Round 0

OOC: LOL No, the chest is not man-sized. Probably not even halfling or gnome sized. You could carry it. You estimate that Hallod has about ten minutes or more of a head start on you.

@Leatherhead
@VLAD the Destroyer
@FitzTheRuke
@Kaodi
@JustinCase


Silvi (+7) AC 13 HP 13/19(13) (drained 6)
Hiromi (+6) AC 17 HP 17/17
Pakuten (+3) AC 18 HP 16/16
Grimsby (+7) AC 17/16(clumsy) HP 25/25
Mortimer (+8) AC17 HP 16/16

Find Hallod
Help Sir Lawrence quiet Talmore’s ghost.

Party XP: 210
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Just take it and let's go," Mortimer suggests, and he sets the example by moving into the dark corridor at a brisk walking pace.
 



Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top