D&D 5E The Fate of the Smol

Here's the thing though:

One way allows you to still build a sad halfling that sucks at melee and feel real versimiltuinous about it while I can still build a halfling that is good at the concept I built them for.

The other way I get nothing.

One way everyone can make what they want. The other, only the simulaitonist wins.
Then take this design principle and apply it logically. The current rules still restrict what sort of character you can create. If a halfling can be as strong as a half-orc, why cant they have dark vision or wings? Why classes limit what sort of spells you can cast, what sort of features you get? Why you want to force these limitations on me? If we do away with races and classes altogether, then people who don't want their orcs to have wings can just not choose the wings feature, and people who don't want their paladins to cast fireballs, can just not choose the fireball spell and so forth.

That's not what's happing here, so no, I don't think I will.
I'm glad that you admit that you're not arguing logically, so it is clear that there is no point in continuing. Ultimately I want the game to have some coherent design principles, and you don't, or at least don't want to discuss about them logically.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Well actually, some Halflings used to have Darkvision, though the current rules don't allow for Stout/Tallfellow/Hairfoot. We do currently have Ghostwise Halflings, though I don't think we've seen Strongheart yet.

Here's the thing- 5e seems to be increasingly heading towards a system where Ability Scores and Races are not tied to one another, presumably in an effort to avoid pigeonholing Race X into Class Y but not Z. I'm not 100% sure about this approach, but their new content indicates that this is likely. The whole point of this thread was, since the went out of their way to make Small or Medium size a choice for some races, whether or not this trend would continue to make there a solid reason to choose Small over Medium, since, while Small has a few fringe benefits (Mounted Combat, which, uh, does anyone use it? All I've seen is arguments about how it works. Squeezing through smaller spaces, which is apparently not super valuable because Bugbears now gain it as part of their Stealthy. So that leaves us with- possibly getting more benefit from Cover/Concealment and moving through Large creature spaces), it also comes with a less fringe penalty, depending on your Class choice (some classes don't care about heavy weapons).

They probably won't. But I thought it might be fun to speculate on whether or not they could. But now we're debating things like how it doesn't feel right for Halflings to be able to hit Strength 20, which is already something they could do, just now they are allowed to do it faster.

That ship, I'm afraid, has sailed. WotC, by publishing MMM, has said, yes, going forward, this is the way it will be. So whether we like it or not likely doesn't matter*. The game has no stat penalties, and any character can reach the maximum in any ability score.

*Unless people vote with their wallets and don't buy the new products, that is. But then we'll be splitting the community into people who play O5e and N5e.

Well actually, some Halflings used to have Darkvision, though the current rules don't allow for Stout/Tallfellow/Hairfoot. We do currently have Ghostwise Halflings, though I don't think we've seen Strongheart yet.

Here's the thing- 5e seems to be increasingly heading towards a system where Ability Scores and Races are not tied to one another, presumably in an effort to avoid pigeonholing Race X into Class Y but not Z. I'm not 100% sure about this approach, but their new content indicates that this is likely. The whole point of this thread was, since the went out of their way to make Small or Medium size a choice for some races, whether or not this trend would continue to make there a solid reason to choose Small over Medium, since, while Small has a few fringe benefits (Mounted Combat, which, uh, does anyone use it? All I've seen is arguments about how it works. Squeezing through smaller spaces, which is apparently not super valuable because Bugbears now gain it as part of their Stealthy. So that leaves us with- possibly getting more benefit from Cover/Concealment and moving through Large creature spaces), it also comes with a less fringe penalty, depending on your Class choice (some classes don't care about heavy weapons).

They probably won't. But I thought it might be fun to speculate on whether or not they could. But now we're debating things like how it doesn't feel right for Halflings to be able to hit Strength 20, which is already something they could do, just now they are allowed to do it faster.

That ship, I'm afraid, has sailed. WotC, by publishing MMM, has said, yes, going forward, this is the way it will be. So whether we like it or not likely doesn't matter*. The game has no stat penalties, and any character can reach the maximum in any ability score.

*Unless people vote with their wallets and don't buy the new products, that is. But then we'll be splitting the community into people who play O5e and N5e.
Right. But the same argument that required removing ASIs, requires removing any other trait that might favour one species in particular class over others. And small size weapon limitation is such. I already suspected in the earliest ASI debates that people would demand such traits to be removed next, and I was not wrong.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases