The Four Lands - Southern Operatives

J. Alexander

First Post
After the decades long war between the Kingdom of Gwynedde and the D’Shai Empire a fragile peace was made. For twenty five years peace was kept along the borders until the year of the light 1145.It was in this year that raids started occurring on Gwynedde’s northeastern border with Ogiers and Orcs from the Savage Mountains. Two year’s later; these raids were joined by numerous border conflicts between Gwynedde and D’Shai. Having slowly recovered its martial strength over two generations, Gwynedde was forced one again to man it Border Defenses with large numbers of troops. Then in April of 1150, Gwynedde was forced for the first time in almost 30 years to assembly a royal army in response to military provocations from the Empire and increasing raids from the Savage Mountains. In order to by time while the army assembled, Kelson V, sent Jeffery, Baron of Timberhome with a one regiment of royal troops and a contingent of Church Knights to act as a spoiling force and buy Gwynedde time to field it’s army.
In May of 1150, Baron Timberhome began to conduct a vigorous defense of the Northeastern Border trapping and eliminating numerous roaming bands of Ogier’s and Orc’s/ After five months of almost continuous fighting, the regiment and knights of the light have suffered heavy attrition.

October 5, 1150YL
The morning breaks fair and promises to be warm and give the battle weary troops a day of relative peace. This illusion is shattered when the warning trumpets sound and the drums begin to beat the assembly. As the troops marshal, a wounded picket comes into camp bearing the news that a large force perhaps consisting of Ogiers and Orcs are moving down the small draw.. Caught by surprise, Baron Timberhome musters his forces and leads them forth to meet the foe. By midday less than 100 men remain of the once proud royal regiment and less than 25 of the Church Knights. Word then arrives from scouts that the force is in danger of being encircled as 2 additional companies of ogiers and orcs are approaching from both the East and West encircling the Baron and his forces. Grimmed faced the Jeffrey, Baron of Timberhome, decides to save his men. Stopping briefly and taking pen to hand, the Baron writes a brief dispatch, seals it and hands it to the Regiments Operatives. “Take this to the Lord Marshall or anyone in authority that you can find. Great evil and mischief is afoot.”. Pausing as he turns to the remaining officers and church knights he takes off his left gauntlet and removes his signet ring, replacing the gauntlet he then removes his sword belt and hands both to the operatives, “Return these to my father I beg you, I would not disgrace them by having them fall into the hands of a foe.”

Turning to the assembled officers and operatives, he says “Break free of this trap I charge you. My household and the Knights will give you the time to move from this trap. Fire the camp, provisions and all that you come across within a week’s journey of this place. That is my final order.” Looking at Knight Commander Madlon he says “We dreamed of this in our youth let us go forth and fulfill this particular boyhood dream” The Knight Commander gives his friend a cold smile and both set with only 40 men to a small rise in the center of the draw. The last any is seen of them is a small group of men fighting underneath the royal standard surrounded by companies of Ogiers. As the Ogiers close on the small shield wall, the royal standard burst into flame and the horde of humanoids begin pouring down the draw towards the recently fired camp.

Actions:

Leif

Adventurer
Nijel Bladesong

Nijel "Bulldog" Bladesong, a young paladin junior NCO known for his unflappable bravery, his eagerness to fight, and his somewhat thick wits, stands at the side of the officer who is in command now that Baron Jeffrey and Knight Commander Madlon are gone.

"Sir! What are your orders?" Nijel asks as he tests the edge of his battleaxe. Nijel could sense the officer being strengthened by his Aura of Courage and the power of the Light.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Roak "Cairnwalker"

A powerfully built young knight rides proudly up to the company, resplendent in fine clothes and armor...despite the blood and dirt covering him. He holds a masterfully crafted greatsword in one hand, his courser's reigns in the other. Sir Roak is known to you, though you most often hear him called by the name "Cairnwalker." You've seen his skill in battle, and know the name is well deserved.

Overhearing Nijel's words, he smiles and speaks out in a clear, rich baritone, interrupting whatever words the querried officer was about to speak. Roak never stood on protocol, especially in a battlefield situation. "We follow our orders. Light torches and fire the camp. Then, we break free of this trap, and slay any that stand in our way."

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Katherine 'Call me Kat' Brightlaw

The young woman standing next to her large black horse is easy to miss, until she mounts fluidly and fixes Roak with her clear hazel gaze.

"I love having all you tanks around! Makes my job so much easier!"

Her voice is surprising - on the deep end of tenor, it should issue forth from someone larger than the tiny olive complected scout. As she sits her horse easily, the searing breeze off the battlefield lifting strands of her raven black hair, she addresses her commander.

"Sir, you can count on us - we'll get the message through."

Leif

Adventurer
Nijel Bladesong

Rhun said:
Overhearing Nijel's words, he smiles and speaks out in a clear, rich baritone, interrupting whatever words the querried officer was about to speak. Roak never stood on protocol, especially in a battlefield situation. "We follow our orders. Light torches and fire the camp. Then, we break free of this trap, and slay any that stand in our way."
"Yes, My Lord!" says Nijel, giving a crisp slaute. Nijel will immediately assemble his troops to carry out the orders given.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Roak "Cairnwalker"

Leif said:
"Yes, My Lord!" says Nijel, giving a crisp slaute. Nijel will immediately assemble his troops to carry out the orders given.

Roak smiles at the young officer's formal behavior. Young being a relative term, of course. Cairnwalker was fairly certain that Nijel was only a year or two younger than himself. "No need to stand on formalities; any titles I might hold are better left at court. We are all operatives of the Royal Army."

The muscular warrior turns his gaze to the waif of a girl now astride the midnight black destrier. "You should love having us around, Kat. If the orcs and ogiers manage to get past us, I doubt that they would treat you gently." Cairnwalker offers her a quick wink.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Nijel Bladesong, Paladin of Light

Rhun said:
Roak smiles at the young officer's formal behavior. Young being a relative term, of course. Cairnwalker was fairly certain that Nijel was only a year or two younger than himself. "No need to stand on formalities; any titles I might hold are better left at court. We are all operatives of the Royal Army."
"Nevertheless, it is not proper for me to ask for the respect of my underlings if I do not show the same respect to my superiors." and aside to Roak, quietly and softly, "Were I confident that all those within earshot were our equals, 't'would be a different matter, but I am all but sure that some of our soldiers heard my previous words, and sometimes appearances are paramount when asking men to wage a battle worthy of the sagas."

OOC: Character sheet for Nijel Bladesong has been updated, I think it has all pertinent information now?

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Kat

The mare dances a bit, eager to run. "Easy, Caoimhe (OOC: Pronounced KEE vuh). They'll have to catch us first!"

[sblock=OOC]Caoimhe will fight - is trained to do so - but is bred more for surefootedness, speed, and stamina. Anyone who knows horses will recognize her worth, and she's smart. A true dream of a scout's horse.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dracomeander

First Post
Ewan

The young man closes his eyes as his head shakes slightly then he turns from the spectacle along their back trail and steps over to the others. The slightest creak of leather is the only sound the woodsman makes 'til he pauses near them.

With a mix of admiration and resignation, the woodsman speaks. "Well, my lords, that's the last of some fine men. They've done a good job of buying us some time to get away."

A slight trace of rebuke creeps into his voice as he continues. "As for standing on ceremony, sir, that is for you to say. Just remember that we are not supposed to be joining any battles yet. We've been charged with making an escape worthy of the sagas so that the rest of the kingdom can know what's happening here before it's too late. If we fail, that horde will hit the populated regions and start writing a tragedy for the sagas."

He catches himself as he realises who he's addressing and continues more respectfully. "Forgive me, sirs. It's not my place to be correcting you. It's just I hate to see good men die that way. And if we don't succeed, then their sacrifice will have been for naught.

"Whenever you're ready, I know a trail that will let us put some more distance between us and that horde."

Leif

Adventurer
Nigel Bladesong

Dracomeander said:
He catches himself as he realises who he's addressing and continues more respectfully. "Forgive me, sirs. It's not my place to be correcting you. It's just I hate to see good men die that way. And if we don't succeed, then their sacrifice will have been for naught. Whenever you're ready, I know a trail that will let us put some more distance between us and that horde."
Nijel says, "I agree with you that it is a horrible waste for men to die in such a manner. Let us remove ourselves from this killing field now, so that we may plan a proper vengeance for the souls lost here. Lead on, Sir! By your leave, of course, Sir Cairnwalker!!"

OOC: Nijel's Character Sheet is now updated (again!) and made much preeetier!

Last edited:

Remove ads