The Four Lands - The Colony

J. Alexander

First Post
"I belive their is already a proposed location for the settlement" the lady responds...."As to the scouting...that is always a good idea" pausing she says..."In my discussions with the Admiral and other members of the council, a tenative consesus has been reached that we sail to the proposed location..determine if it is indeed as good as the intial reports and if so then do a landing there of men and materials. After the landing, the the Admiral would then reland the Gywneed Engineers at the mouth of this river and get started on the construction of three forts and a series of watch towers from the forts to the civilian landing site. "

Scotley

Hero
"Lord Ederin, Lady I agree with you both. Let us set the fleet moving up river and prepare a scouting mission. I believe there is also the matter of addressing the Colonists. We should tell them our priorities are to establish the first settlement at the proposed location and prepare forts at the river mouth for defense. Some words of encouragement would go well too."

Nightbreeze

First Post
Lady Westin, the forts and watchtowers are indeed useful. We ought to land with great care: we have lots of people and materials, and if we mess things up, we will be in chaos for weeks. We'll have to set up temporary shelters, and so on. As you know, I am a city planners, so after or during the landing, I'd like to meet with the engineers and bulders to give them a detailed map of the area, and start making plans for the city. We'll have to build it right from the beginning, because once we are settled in, we won't have te resources or time to restructure it.

Also, we will have a lot of work to do as far as legal structure is concerned. As far as I am aware, we only have rules on the voting procedures of the council. We'll have to come up with the legal codex, especially things about land use permissions, trading procedures and so on. This way those who want to conduct economic activity, which will be the core of this colony, will know what are they up to.

J. Alexander

First Post
Listening to Ederin intently the Lady Westin makes no comment. Ederin however is answered by the Bearish looking man..."Indeed you are right that should be one of the first considerations of the council but in the meantime I suggest we use for economic matters in regards to coinage and binding commercial contracts the usages and customs of the Brightlaw Banking House until such time as we can formally create our own."

Count Nijel then adds ."Yes the city must be planned from the start. I have taken the liberty of drawing up a provisionaly layout in accordance with the detailed map we received" and he then proceeds to hand copies of it to the party members. The map shows Shipping and wharfs to the south of the city with more commercial stores and warehousing to the north seperated by a bridge connecting to the farther shore.

The center of the town shows a large square perhaps 500 x 500 feet. Around the square are a milita barracks/armory of three storees. A goverment building of 5 stories. A Church of the Light almost Cathederal in Size with an attached hospital to it's right. The rest is blank more or but it reflects the resident buildings etc in a townhouse constrution with rows radiating out from the city's main square.

Scotley

Hero
Alvar

OOC: [sblock=Question]What does Alvar know of 'the usages and customs of the Brightlaw Banking House.' In particular are there some obvious 'gotch' clauses in there to be wary of or is it particularly complex and given to lengthy legal wrangling?[/sblock]

Alvar examines the drawings of the city plan and finds them reasonable. But not being an expert he catches Ederin's eye and quirks an eyebrow in question.

J. Alexander

First Post
OCC Question: Actually the customs and usage are pretty st8 forward. In order to be binding an agreement must be in writing or witnessed by three disinterested people who should it go to litigation must post a bond egual to the contracts value for a period of 18 months. the three witnessess other option is to swear before a church member using detect lie that the testimony they just gave was accurate and trutful.

The custom and usage also states that weights shall be assinged from one country measurment or another using a set formula so as to ensure consisntent weights and measures.

the last thing is that letters of exchange, coinage, etc are to be converted to another currency using the values posted for the previous 12 months so as to ensure that a country etc can not quickly devalue it's currency

Scotley

Hero
Alvar

"I will agree to the 'usages and customs of the Brightlaw Banking House' with the proviso that the council will revisit this as time permits."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: the agreed upon landing site is that cliff (yellow part of the map) where the rivers meet?
"I can build provisorial shelter for all of us in a day or two. It won't be houses, but it'll be better then tents. Also, small palisade for initial defense line. Ederin, I undestand architecture altough I'm by no means master architect you are. Please call me in on the meeting with engeneers."

Lou

Explorer
Alton Kanri

Waiting for a quiet moment Alton speaks up, "Count Nijel, this looks to be a wonderful plan to guide the development of the city. What security measures are planned for the land side of the city and settlement? Do we know for sure that the water is the only source of threats?"

Remove ads