D&D (2024) "The Future of D&D" (New Core Books in 2024!)

The online D&D Celebration event, which has been running all weekend, comes to a close with The Future of D&D, a panel featuring WotC's Ray Winninger, Liz Schuh, Chris Perkins, and Jeremy Crawford, hosted by Elle Osili-Wood.

banner.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.08.42 AM.png

D&D is exploring the multiverse
Revisiting classic settings. 1st of 3 settings (Ravenloft) released this year. Next year, the other two major classic D&D settings come out. Both in formats they've never published products before.

Plus a "little peek" at a third classic D&D setting - a cameo.

In 2023, yet another classic setting is coming out.

Evolving D&D
Because of new players, they're always listening. Exploring new styles of play (like no combat needed in Wild Beyond the Witchlight). Also presentation of monsters and spells. New product formats. More adventure anthologies.

Making products easier to use. Ways to create the best experience. Experimenting and looking into technology.

Approaches to Design
Wild Beyond the Witchlight has interior design and tools to make running the adventure easier. Story tracker, guidance.

Beyond the books, they want to make different and varied products - packaging and form factor. Things different to hardcovers and boxed sets.

A blog post is coming soon detailing some of the changes, with more to come in future posts.

50th Anniversary in 2024
They've begun work on new versions of the core rulebooks. Recent surveys tie into that. They're still making plans, but expect more surveys. More will be said next year.

They will be completely compatible!

New experiences in the digital arena.

January Gift Set
Rules Expansion Gift Set -- Xanathar, Tasha, and a new book: Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. All in a slipcase. Was intended for the Holidays, but global production issues mean January instead. There's also an alternate cover version.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.44.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.45.36 PM.png

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse
A treasure trove of creature related material from previous products compiled into one book and updated.

Opportunity to update material with a feel for how the 50th Anniversary books will be.

Improvements based on feedback, rebalancing, new and old art.

Over 250 monsters, and 30 playable races. All of the setting agnostic races that have been published outside the Player's Handbook.

Some content from Witchlight, Fizban's, and Strixhaven was influenced by Mordenkainen's.

Available first in the gift set, but separately later in the year.

Monsters alphabetized throughout rather than using subsections.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.52.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.53.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.55.32 PM.png

Stat block changes --

Spellcasting trait is gone. Spellcasting action, slimmed down. Spellcasting monsters need less prep.

Spell slots are gone for NPCs. Regular actions that would have once been spells.

It was too easy for a DM to use spells which result in the monster having a too low effective CR.

Monsters can be friends or foes, and some magic will help rather than hinder PCs.

Where are we going?
More adventure anthologies. Another classic setting fairly soon.

Two all-new settings. Completely new. In development stage, an 'exploration' phase, testing the viability of them. They might not see the light of day.

Retooling nostalgia and blending it with new concepts. A blend of things that you know, and things that they have never done before.

In the short term -- more news next month about a new product for 2022 which goes into a new scary place we've never been before.

Boo the miniature giant space hamster
Below is an sketch from Hydro74's alt cover, which features Boo the miniature giant space hamster.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.06.19 AM.png

Last edited:

Omand

Hero
@the Jester It is the question. Unfortunately, we just do not have enough information.

The video uses the Glabrezu example, but beyond that we have no idea about all of the possible corner cases you and others have set out.

Cheers :)

the Jester

Legend
Actually, there's a clue in WBtWL- under the campestri heading, it has both "campestri" and "swarm of campestris". And I think Fizban's will tell us how dragons will be organized- I suspect under e.g. R for red dragon they will have the various age categories.

But time will tell.

Actually, there's a clue in WBtWL- under the campestri heading, it has both "campestri" and "swarm of campestris". And I think Fizban's will tell us how dragons will be organized- I suspect under e.g. R for red dragon they will have the various age categories.

But time will tell.
We've already aeen the Table of Contents for Fizban's, and the age categories for the various dragons are all together under the main type: i.e. "Ancient Crystal Dragon" is under "C", not "A".

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's about PC damage numbers being really high and monster HP not being very high to match. This is exacerbated when the players feel like it's a big scary fight, because they're apt to nova and then chew something down in one round.

A fighter action surging and dumping a few superiority dice, a caster using their highest level spells, a paladin smiting on multiple hits... solos go down fast.
Yep. The Nova damage numbers a party can output is absurd - even at lower levels. As an example. A GWF+GWM+Lucky+Hex+Precision+Trip Attack Fighter 6/Warlock 1 can output over 100 Damage on an average Nova round where he dumps all his short rest resources.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If I invest my hard earned cash in a company I expect them to make a profit with it, not give it away.

I get sick and tiered of this unthoughtout illogical unsupported anti-capitalist nonsense.
I frankly don't care what the company does with the cash as long as they continue to make products I like and aren't actively going out and using it for 'evil' or things aligned against my self interests.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I frankly don't care what the company does with the cash as long as they continue to make products I like and aren't actively going out and using it for 'evil' or things aligned against my self interests.
Yeah, I dont get why anyone would care that money they spend on a company's product goes to profit for that company. What difference would that make?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Companies have a moral obligation to maximise profits and show a good return for their investors. So morally, they have to do so.
All actors in a society have a moral obligation to not actively harm the society. No one has a moral obligation to get rich or make others rich. Investment is gambling.
If a company is maximizing profit beyond what is needed to make a profit, by means that are sketchy or unethical, then they are behaving unethically. Being a corporation doest release them from basic ethical obligation to the community.
So, D&D is a basic necessity?

You can't do anything to help poor people if you don't have any money.
Hey maybe you could not make very very politically charged, very controversial, declarative statements that aren’t even related to the thread topic, that replying to properly would require breaking forum rules?
Like, there are other places where you can complain about how the youth don’t love an exploitive economic system that is largely failing them hard enough.
Yeah, I dont get why anyone would care that money they spend on a company's product goes to profit for that company. What difference would that make?
Generally that isn’t the thing people are unhappy about. The mindset that companies have no obligation to behave ethically with regard to the community is very bad for a society. It’s upsetting when one feels that a company is juicing the community for more than a product is actually worth or more than they need to change to make a profit. Making a profit is good, greedily raking in more and more in order to give executives bigger bonuses is not.

Which, tbh I don’t even think is what is happening with Wizards. I don’t really get why folks are acting like Wizards is behaving badly, right now.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases