The GMF's Greater Ressurection

ChaosEvoker

First Post
The GMF beathes anew as many return to the fold. The rea life issues with technology and such seem to have been holding many of us back. However, as the forums regained some life, many have returned to us. It is important, now more than ever, to cement ourselves and then decide where we wish to go.

The Council

Due to the difficulty in contancting many of the council members and the loss of our roster, we will need to re-elect council members. However, those that were before will remain so.

Our Current Coucil Members are:

ChaosEvoker
Xen
Nightcloak
BladeOfDesecration

Forgive me if I have forgotten that you were one, my memory fails me at times. Assuming, for the moment, that I have remembered eveyone that is sitll here, we will need to elect one more council member.

Hope for the Future

It seems the GMF has had a resurge of activity, showing the dedication and loyalty that this foundation so desperately needs. It probably would have died altogether if it hadn't been for a few faithful members that held on during many absenses. For that, I thank you.

I appologize for my long absense, many real-life issues and a bad memory were the cause. Nevertheless, I am here and so are many of you. With the fire and dedication from all of you, we have hope for the future.

The Website

A generous effort has provided us with a temporary site. Fortunately I am currently contacting my World of Warcraft guild leader to find out how she got her site up and running. The cost of such a site is not overly-pricey, but is not cheap either. However, the vesatility it offers is well worth it. With myself, and a few donations from members, we can certainly achieve a website. From there, all we must do is maintain some recruitment threads here and at Wizard's and we will see our Foundation prosper.

The GMF

This place has always been a great resource for me. I consider you all friends, and perhaps even a dysfunctional family of sorts ;). I believe it is a great resource for many of you as well. This foundation will survive. I look forward to discussing and gaming with you all!

Please post here that you have read and understand this so that I know you are informed (and partially so I know who is here). Thanks!

Catavarie

First Post
ChaosEvoker said:
The Website

A generous effort has provided us with a temporary site. Fortunately I am currently contacting my World of Warcraft guild leader to find out how she got her site up and running. The cost of such a site is not overly-pricey, but is not cheap either. However, the vesatility it offers is well worth it. With myself, and a few donations from members, we can certainly achieve a website. From there, all we must do is maintain some recruitment threads here and at Wizard's and we will see our Foundation prosper.

Ok recent calculations show that a website (Gamemasterfoundation.org) and 1 year of hosting will run just under $50 US after figuring in all applicable discounts and coupon codes I have for GoDaddy. Not too bad when you think about it really. That gives us 5GB of storage, 250GB of transfer per month, 500 Email Addresses with 10MB a piece, 25 subdomains, 10 MySQL databases...Of course we could always upgrade to just under $80 US and get 100GB of Storage 1000GB of Transfer per month, 1000 email addresses with 10MB a piece, unlimited subdomains, 25 MySQL Databases, and 1 200MB MS SQL Database...now in my opinion the $50 setup is more than adequate for our needs. My only concern is that we might need more storage if the site becomes as popular as I think we all would like it to be, but for now I think its a good starting point for us. I would call for a vote but I don't really have that kind of power.

Oh and I understand and am present.

Last edited:

@Cataverie: If we buy the cheaper one, will it be possible to upgrade later without having to completely redo the site?

@ChaosEvoker: Personally, I think we should wait to see how many people join up before electing more council members. The way I see it, four is more than enough for the amount of people we currently have. If we need more, we can always elect more, and if we need to break a tie in the meantime, well, you are the founder, so you might as well be the tie-breaker.
I think that what is going to need to happen with a new website is to give the council members Mod status, and to put each of them in charge of one part of the site. For instance, maybe put NC in charge of Advice Articles, and me in charge of, I don't know, Story Hour or Campaign Settings. Stuff like that. I think our main focus right now needs to be making sure we stay organized, and advance our goals without getting side tracked.

Catavarie

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
@Cataverie: If we buy the cheaper one, will it be possible to upgrade later without having to completely redo the site?

Most certainly we will be able to upgrade at a later time without trouble.

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
@ChaosEvoker: Personally, I think we should wait to see how many people join up before electing more council members. The way I see it, four is more than enough for the amount of people we currently have. If we need more, we can always elect more, and if we need to break a tie in the meantime, well, you are the founder, so you might as well be the tie-breaker.
I think that what is going to need to happen with a new website is to give the council members Mod status, and to put each of them in charge of one part of the site. For instance, maybe put NC in charge of Advice Articles, and me in charge of, I don't know, Story Hour or Campaign Settings. Stuff like that. I think our main focus right now needs to be making sure we stay organized, and advance our goals without getting side tracked.

Fair enough, and as long as no one has a problem with that, it works for me. I fully agree that Council Members and myself need to have Moderator status for the website.

I'll be learning in college, eventually, to program websites, but currently know nothing. Nevertheless, I think we have a bright future. Xen and I were talking yesterday about the sudden appearance of everyone else and we are quite excited to move the foundation to the future.

Catavarie

First Post
ChaosEvoker said:
Fair enough, and as long as no one has a problem with that, it works for me. I fully agree that Council Members and myself need to have Moderator status for the website.

I'll be learning in college, eventually, to program websites, but currently know nothing. Nevertheless, I think we have a bright future. Xen and I were talking yesterday about the sudden appearance of everyone else and we are quite excited to move the foundation to the future.

In regards to giving moderator access to the website for all the council members, I'm all for it. Although with the temporary site the way it is setup right now, there is no way to do that. Ideally I hope to eventually have a Blog setup for each of the moderators that way the council members can still have their info available out there for all the visitors. Although that still may not be enough accessibility, I'm currently looking into other options. But for now if anyone has anything they would like added to the Web page simply email it to me and I will get it posted up as quickly as I can. I'm trying to stay on top of things daily with the web site and our own forums, although I seem to be the only one that has posted anything there as of yet.

One thing though. While I don't think we need a new Council Member until our membership picks back up, I say we should give Cataverie honorary council status, and upgrade him to full council member once we have enough members for it to make sense. After all he's done to try and revive the foundation, it's the least he deserves. So that's my nomination for when we elect a new council member.

Remove ads