D&D 5E The God Sorlock

borg286

Explorer
Seeing as the DMG is pretty explicit that the average party should only be running out of long rest resources after an 'adventuring day' of 6-8 medium-hard encounters, and are expected to have 2-3 Short rests in that time, 2-3 encounter adventuring days should be pretty rare.

How many dungeons do you know that only have 2-3 encounters in them? You wouldnt even be 1/3 of the way through most dungeons at the 2-3 encounter mark.

So if I understand correctly, you enter an area that has connected rooms. First room has you roll initiative. You cast some long lasting buff and try to keep it up for 10 rounds as you move from one room to another. Once 10 rounds are up you are likely to have gone through 2-3 "encounters". Unless your DM allows your Hex to be kept in stasis or applied to a chicken that follows you around, then when you move from one room(encounter) to the next room (encounter) you must either drop concentration in favor of some other spell or eat the loss of optimal DPR. You are likely to then take a short rest before smashing out 2-3 other rooms(encounters). Thus you've had 6-8 "encounters" yet only had 2-3 short rests. Do I have it right? I've never played 5e, so campaign norms are foreign to me.

jgsugden

Legend
If you have not played the edition, it is not time to build a guide. We wrote the first guides for 5E as it was released. Many of those guides proved to be ridiculously wrong.

There are no campaign norms. Many campaigns run 1 encounter 'days' most of the time, while others have roughly 8 encounters between long rests.

G

Guest 6801328

Once 10 rounds are up you are likely to have gone through 2-3 "encounters".

An encounter will typically last a single digit number of rounds. Then you switch to non-combat time (you know: search the room, count the treasure, collect spent arrows, whatever). Then when you get into your next combat, however long that takes, you roll initiative and start counting things in rounds again.

borg286

Explorer
If you have not played the edition, it is not time to build a guide. We wrote the first guides for 5E as it was released. Many of those guides proved to be ridiculously wrong.

There are no campaign norms. Many campaigns run 1 encounter 'days' most of the time, while others have roughly 8 encounters between long rests.
I've seen this variance in other posts, which is why I was gravitating towards the sorcerer and his ability to frontload when the day was expected to be short, then spread it out with quicken Eldritch blast when headed into a cave.

Var

Explorer
TLDR delay Sorcerer Progression in favour of adding increased single target DPR?

Not gonna lie this looks a lot less interesting than a Divine Soul "God Sorcerer". With Order Cleric Dip to get more Cantrips, Lvl1 Spells, Armor Proficiency and extra Reaction Attack for an ally when you're buffing.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can you elaborate on why Hypnotic Pattern is so highly recommended? I get that it doesn't allow for a save each round, but the "1 action to wake up" sounds like an easy way to have 1/2 the bad guys wake the other half up.

If the DM was so inclined he could. I've never seen or heard of one using this tactic and imagine that if one did it would be under rare circumstances. A few considerations.
1. The enemies don't know that will end it.
2. The enemies don't know it's going to last the whole fight
3. Most DM's play enemies to what they know
4. Even if enemies are shaken awake that likely means casting the spell has already reduced 1 round or more worth of actions from your foes in the first round (where they typically have more actions than in subsequent rounds)
5. There's a good chance you land the spell on more than half the enemies.
6. In terms of action denial the spell is typically more effective than fireball.

Further, for being an AOE spell, requiring concentration puts it categorically under other AOE spells in my book. I grant that my book has no real work experience to base off of.

Generally speaking you will use about 1 high impact spell on harder encounters. Generally speaking you won't fireball on round 1 and then use another spellslot unless there is a huge need or the perfect opportunity arises. Essentially that means you won't have a lot of competition for your concentration slot.

Invisibility sounds like a waste. It requires one's concentration slot which should be used on a spell that turns the battle around. Twinning it is likely to end quickly as the other target gets a single attack out of it. If you meant Greater Invisibility I totally agree with these spells as being at the top.

If all you are looking at is encounters then maybe. It's one of the most useful out of combat spells and doubles as a spell you can cast in combat to help save an ally. Turning an ally unseen gives them all kinds of benefits. Many things can't target them. Attacks have disadvantage on them. They can attempt to hide. It's one of the lower level life saving spells you have.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
TLDR delay Sorcerer Progression in favour of adding increased single target DPR?

Not gonna lie this looks a lot less interesting than a Divine Soul "God Sorcerer". With Order Cleric Dip to get more Cantrips, Lvl1 Spells, Armor Proficiency and extra Reaction Attack for an ally when you're buffing.

I guess that depends on how often you plan to buff or heal. Since most buffs are concentration that's one reaction attack a fight.

Healing word sounds nice - but that assumes you use a cantrip that turn - which means you are using say firebolt + healing word + allys reaction attack. Is that actually better than EB + Agonizing blast + Hex?

borg286

Explorer
An encounter will typically last a single digit number of rounds. Then you switch to non-combat time (you know: search the room, count the treasure, collect spent arrows, whatever). Then when you get into your next combat, however long that takes, you roll initiative and start counting things in rounds again.
Would a switch to Spiritual Weapon enable me to handle the 8 encounter day with only 3 short rest? I had initially thrown it out because the Nova attack sequence was bonus action starved. I thought by level 7 I would have enough spell points to quicken most rounds. But it seems that 3 encounters back to back is a common design pattern in campaigns.
Perhaps trading out Scorching Ray altogether? This trades frontloading damage for endurance.

Last edited:

Remove ads