The good ole days of Satanic Panic

Funny how things change. I got into D&D well after the Satanic panic had petered out (the sort of people who pushed the Satanic panic were at the time much too busy worrying about whether teenagers would start killing themselves en masse due to angsty grunge music) but it was still a kind of folk memory among older RPers.

But the other day I happened on (and backed) this. Which is a biblical D&D setting written by a pastor of some sort, and the comments are full of christian youth group leaders etc saying how great an idea it is, to allow people to play through the Biblical world and times, and gain a better understanding of the bible as a result. And I have to say - good for them.

Fellow D&Ders - this is what complete victory feels like. Not destroying your enemy (nor seeing him driven before you, nor even hearing the lamentations of his women). Victory is convincing your enemy to join your side peacefully.

MGibster

Legend
Fellow D&Ders - this is what complete victory feels like. Not destroying your enemy (nor seeing him driven before you, nor even hearing the lamentations of his women). Victory is convincing your enemy to join your side peacefully.
We did have Testament produced by Green Ronin back during the d20 glut over the early 2000s. Though I'm not sure it was created specifically for the Bible enthusiast as The Adventurer's Guide to the Bible for 5E is.

Funny how things change. I got into D&D well after the Satanic panic had petered out (the sort of people who pushed the Satanic panic were at the time much too busy worrying about whether teenagers would start killing themselves en masse due to angsty grunge music) but it was still a kind of folk memory among older RPers.

But the other day I happened on (and backed) this. Which is a biblical D&D setting written by a pastor of some sort, and the comments are full of christian youth group leaders etc saying how great an idea it is, to allow people to play through the Biblical world and times, and gain a better understanding of the bible as a result. And I have to say - good for them.

I might have to check this out, just to see how well this setting captures what's really in the buy bull.

Longspeak

Adventurer
While I always had a good time poking fun at some of those folks, I have to admit I feel very badly for Pat Pulling of Bothered about Dungeons and Dragons (BADD) fame. Her son, an avid gamer, committed suicide and I think Pulling kind of went off the deep end trying to cope with his death. The death of a young person is always difficult but dealing with suicide can complicate the grieving process quite a bit. I don't excuse her behavior, and while I might laugh at her absurd conclusions I don't laugh at her any more.
This.

Me in 1983, or '84, aged 16 or so: "Hey look at this article about this stupid, worthless, idiot woman who made a group called "Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons! I'm gonna tape a copy inside my DMG to remind me about how stupid she is and laugh at her all the time!!!"

Me, after she died: "I almost lost my daughter in an accident and nearly went off the deep end. She did lose her son, and to suicide. Of course she went crazy looking for ways to avoid blaming herself. Pitiable woman."

Emrico

Adventurer
My favorite memory of the Satanic Panic Era was one Sunday after church (small town Methodist church, pastor had zero issues with D&D) when one of the "Church Lady Types" who had a kid in my grade in high school started railing at my mom (who also had absolutely zero issues with D&D) about how awful it was that I was allowed to play, going to hell, Satan, etc, just outside church. My mom stopped dead, and VERY loudly let this lady know that my playing D&D was not an issue, she knew everyone I gamed with and where I was every weekend. Followed by telling her that if her kid played D&D with us then maybe he wouldn't have gotten busted for underage drinking and have a kid on the way.

My mom was savage. 🤣🤣🤣

Remove ads