The Grudge

RogueRonin

Explorer
Has anyone else seen trailers for The Grudge? It's another remake of another Japanese thriller, just like The Ring. In my opinion, it looks really really freaky. Of course I've always been a sucker for a crazy psychological thriller. If you didn't see a preview yet, go check it out: The Grudge
Anyway, I didn't see any threads about it yet, so I figured I would share it. I can't wait to see it, but I'll be sure to bring some extra underwear. Has anyone seen the original Japanese version (called Ju-On, I think)? Share some comments if you have. How do you guys think this movie will compare to The Ring? I think it looks a lot more frightening... Japanese horror directors really know how to get under my skin.

P.S.
Is it just me, or is the meowing kid in the second tv preview kinda scary? Maybe just me.

RogueRonin said:
Is it just me, or is the meowing kid in the second tv preview kinda scary? Maybe just me.
Not just you. That boy ain't right.

I have to admit, scary as the preview was, the girl jerkily crawling down the stairs was SUCH a ripoff of The Ring.

HeavyG

First Post
RogueRonin said:
Has anyone seen the original Japanese version (called Ju-On, I think)?

I have. It's really very freaky. Very much in the same style as The Ring.

I'm leery about the american version. On one hand, it is supposedly done by the same guy as the original. On the other hand, my mind has this crazy association of Sarah Michelle Gellar kicking supernatural evil butt that is really inappropriate in this movie.

I also liked the american version of The Ring better than the japanese version.

Dirigible

Explorer
Yeah, I saw it a few months ago. And for reference, I’ve only seen the American remake of the Ring.

Apart from the similarities in the ‘evil ghosty children’ and the ‘no, you can't put an end to it, yes, I know its not fair’ themes, they’re actually quite different.

The Ring, how can I put this, forces you to be scared with it’s lighting, sound and camera trickery (not that the subject and form aren’t scary enough in themselves); the Grudge shows you something scary and leaves you to be scared of your own volition. Most o the scary scenes int he Grudge are actually very brightly lit. It's a very different sort of fear.

In terms of reaction, the Ring irritated me with the good old ‘here’s a shocking sound to accompany something shocking’ gimmick, it really, really scared me on several times (hand clenching, knee grabbing, finger-biting fear). The Grudge had me curled up on myself, biting a pillow, mumbling in terror nearly half the time. Less intense fear, but much, much more of it.

Also, the old guy in the wheelchair is my hero. He rocks.

Gunslinger

First Post
It's directed by Sam Raimi, correct? If it turns out anything like the first two Evil Dead movies, I will definitely have to see it. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases