The Heroes Three (Point Five): Keep on the Borderlands - Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insight

Adventurer
MichaelH said:
Very entertaining so far, Insight. I recently became very interested in the new Castles & Crusades system from Troll Lord Games, and I plan to run The Keep using those rules very soon. Should be great fun.

The Keep wasn't difficult at all to 'convert' for 3.5. All of the creatures are standard MM critters, so I just used the regular versions, with a few levels added here or there for the tougher ones. And at low levels, I don't have to worry about most of the powergaming aspects that higher level characters tend to use to break adventures.

How about a rogues gallery for your PCs.

I'd love to post them up. First, I need to snatch the PCs' character sheets when they're not looking!

Insight

Adventurer
Revenge is a Dish Best Served... Part Four

"Woah, buddy," Tamos said, struggling to get away from the seething barbarian. "We're here to rescue you!"

Sjoberg looked up briefly, and by luck, spotted Vanidorr and Rytahl, his former companions. That and the barking of his wolf, Valkyrie, snapped Sjoberg out of his momentary rage.

He bounced up, looking around the room wildly. "By Odin's beard," he exclaimed. "You have come to free me!"

The wolf came to his side. "Friends," Sjoberg continued, "I see you have gained some new allies."

"Yes," Vanidorr replied. "These are Rothrusk and Lenalia," he said, waving in their direction. "And you have already met Tamos."

The prone adventurer waved casually and spring to his feet. "Greetings," he said.

"I must find he who has aided me," Sjoberg explained. "We struggled together to free ourselves of those foul chains."

"You were chained together?" Vanidorr asked.

"Yes," Sjoberg replied. "My ally in bondage, Chornin. Come out where we can see you. You are safe, friend."

From the darkness emerged a hulking humanoid, covered in coarse, white fur, with the facial features of a jackal, or a goat, or perhaps an inhuman mixture of both. He stood on a pair of knee-backed furry legs, complete with canine paws. His arms were more humanoid in nature, and he gripped his broken chain in one hand, expecting danger.

"I am Chornin," he said.

After a more lengthy search of the guard room, the Heroes discovered some coin, as well as four yellow potions, and used these to bring Rytahl and Vanidorr back to full health. As neither Sjoberg nor Chornin had nay weapons, both took up morningstars from the slain Bugbears. There was a bit of consternation from some of the group about arming this creature, but with Sjoberg's assurances, Chornin was allowed a weapon with which to defend himself.

Chornin explained that he had been enslaved a while ago, traded to the Bugbears from his own people, the Gnolls, who were allied with the Evil Priest, Azgorod. Because he had dared to question the Gnoll Chieftain's alliance with Azgorod, Chornin was deemed a traitor and thrown into captivity. A few days later, there was an exchange of prisoners between Azgorod and Slaymane's alliance, and that is how Chornin came to be a captive of the Bugbears.

It turned out that the other door in the chamber led to another slave pen, this one containing [color=limegreen[b]Humdarr Ironbelly[/b][/color], among others. All of the captives were freed and sent on their way. The rooms were given another search, and proclaimed to be devoid of anything else of interest.

"You have my eternal gratitude, friends," Humdarr said. "I have been without ale or whiskey for far too long. It has been hellish in there, believe me."

"I am certain you will live," Rytahl said. "We must leave this place and recuperate."

"Agreed," Lenalia said. "We are drained. This has been a trying experience, and I'm sure Sjoberg and Chornin must also need sustenance."

"I need nothing more than the Sword of my Father," Sjoberg countered. "I am no weakling that a few days in a slave pen will stop me."

Rothrusk smiled uncomfortably. "If it's all the same to you," he explained. "Let's camp anyway. I tire, and must reconnect with Valerias, to determine for us a course of action."

"Well... " Sjoberg replied. "Valkyrie here does need water, and time to rest. We are off then. But we must return in the morn to retrieve the Sword of my Father. I cannot be without it a moment longer."

Chornin had no such requests. "Gnolls not place... value on weapons and armor," he said. "Chornin will help friend Sjoberg get his sword. Must get revenge for capture."

An agreement was thus struck to return in a day's time to find Sjoberg's gear, and hopefully more treasure. When the last of the captives had fled the Caves, the Heroes made camp in the wilderness outside the clearing. Humdarr explained that he had some business to deal with back at Merghis Keep, and returned there, leaving only eight (including Valkyrie) to return to the Bugbear Caves the following day.

"Too bad your Dwarven friend had to go," Rothrusk said as the Heroes broke camp. "Seemed a likeable fellow."

"He was... somewhat competent as a warrior," Rytahl replied. "I won't say I am too disappointed that he returned to Merghis Keep. We should be fine."

"Agreed," Vanidorr added. "With the seven of us - "

"Eight!" Sjoberg interjected. "Forget not Valkyrie!"

"Yes, eight," Vanidorr said, correcting himself. "I am a little more comforable."

"Are we certain about this?" Lenalia asked. "Those Bugbears are a tough bunch. Perhaps we could work on the Goblins and see how that goes."

"No," Sjoberg countered. "I must find the Sword of my Father. It is my birthright. Once we have that, I will go where you ask."

"Fair enough," Lenalia replied. "I suppose things should shift a little more to our advantage now that everyone is rested and fully healed."

They continued on, and found their way back to the Bugbear Caves. The rooms and caverns did not seem to be at all guarded, as if the Bugbears didn't even know they had been hit. Or perhaps their numbers had been greatly diminished to the point that they could no longer defend themselves.

As was becoming standard practice, Vanidorr took up the scouting duties, with Tamos following behind a step or two. The group decided that going up the stairs that broke off from the first room was a bad idea, although it was discussed as a possibility. They made it to the t-intersection that had been partially scouted on the previous day, and concluded that following the curved passage leading to the door they had not checked was the best option. It was close enough to the slave pens that Sjoberg believed his equipment could be found there.

Vanidorr and Tamos approached the door as quietly as possible. It was important to try to get surprise on the Bugbears or whatever they might find beyond the door. Rothrusk, the not-so-stealthy aspiring Cleric, decided to follow along too closely, and made quite enough noise to alert just about everyone in the cave complex.

"Smooth," was all Tamos could say to this. "Well, Vanidorr, might as well open it."

As Vanidorr proceeded, the others gathered in the curved passage: Sjoberg, his wolf Valkyrie at the ready, Chornin, the Gnoll, with his new morningstar, Rytahl, her flail and pick in hands, Lenalia, with her bow, and Rothrusk, shield and mace in position. Vanidorr flung the portal wide, to see a room full of Bugbears!

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Revenge is a Dish Best Served... Part Five

The door opened, our Heroes saw six Bugbears, three male and three female, though as the companions had already learned, the females were as tough as the males, if not moreso. All had morningstars at their belts, but held javelins at the ready, as if expecting someone. As soon as the doorway showed them a target, the Bugbears hurled their javelins, striking Tamos and Chornin, though not seriously wounding them.

Sjoberg, along with his wolf, Valkyrie, were the first to charge through. "By Thor's hammer!" Sjoberg said, "Our fallen comrades shall be avenged!"

Ducking quickly inside, Vanidorr tumbled past a few unsuspecting Bugbears, right into the heart of the action. The creatures reacted by drawing their morningstars and surrounding him.

"Uh oh," Vanidorr said, realizing what he had done to himself.

Chornin moved in next, clashing with a pair of females, giving as good as he got. The Gnoll silently fought to avenge his capture, and aid his new friends.

Lenalia gave her allies covering fire with magical bolts of energy, while Rytahl moved in, her flail and pick brandished to fend off any Bugbear attacks. As Rytahl pressed forward, Tamos joined the fray, which was quite the skirmish in what was a fairly small chamber for this sort of melee.

The battle intensified when Sjoberg spotted his gear, including his prized sword. The barbarian charged into a crowd of males at this point, with a menacing glare and commands to Valkyrie to bite anyone that tried to get at him from behind. Sensing that the barbarian was likely to get himself killed by being so reckless, Rothrusk moved in behind him, trying to draw off some of the Bugbears' strikes.

At this point, the Gnoll, Chornin, had taken down one of the females he faced, and was whittling down the second. Rytahl had joined him, and they were soon likewise joined by the other remaining female. Vanidorr, using his friend Rytahl as a base, vaulted over the pair of females and got behind them, drawing away their attention for the moment.

"This is how it's supposed to work, Rytahl," Vanidorr said, beaming as he struck one of the females a fatal blow with his shortsword. As he did, the other female turned to face him, leaving the female open to Rytahl and Chornin, who finished her off.

On the opposite side of the small chamber, the males were also losing their slight advantage. None of the Heroes were seriously injured, though Tamos probably had the worst of any of them. Sjoberg and Valkyrie proved to be quite the lethal combination, especially once the barbarian had retrieved his sword.

The battle did not last much longer, and it was obvious to all that their group was well-suited to this sort of close combat, especially once they learned the Bugbears' tactics. When the fight was over, and all of the creatures slain, the Heroes searched the room, found Chornin's meager equipment, as well as some healing potions and other trinkets.

Once the Heroes were satisfied they had cleared the chamber of any valuables, they considered their next move.

"The Chieftain must be around here somewhere," Rothrusk said. "Should we try to find him and finish off the lot of them?"

"I have the Sword of my Father," Sjoberg replied. "You have fulfilled your part of the bargain, my friends. I go wherever you wish."

Lenalia spoke next. "I would rather see if we can deal with that Ogre in the Goblin Caves on the other side of the clearing," she said. "That was our plan from the beginning, once we freed Sjoberg and Humdarr."

"Yes," Tamos concurred. "We should go there now, as they will not be expecting us."

"Chornin must revenge for capture," the Gnoll said. "No attack Ungeheuer."

"You don't wish to go with us then?" Rytahl asked.

"I have duty to revenge for capture," the Gnoll reiterated. "Chornin go alone."

"Come to camp with us," Rothrusk asked. "Let us at least heal your minor wounds and make sure you have provisions."

"Agree," Chornin said.

It was a brisk walk out of the Bugbear Caves this time. For once, the Heroes were not carrying one of their own wounded, and had a strengthened sense of purpose about this place. Perhaps their luck in the Caves of Chaos was finally turning around... or maybe not!

The Heroes camped for a while, more to regroup than anything else, as they weren't that injured, and were not low on supplies or magical resources. The companions spoke of their past adventures, and what they hoped to accomplish in the near future.

Once Chornin was off on his own, and camp broken once again, the Heroes were off to the Goblin Caves, a place that Lenalia, Tamos, and Rothrusk would not soon forget. This was the scene of Miles' death, and his former companions felt a chill as they neared the place.

As Vanidorr and Tamos entered the main passage, they both heard scurrying sounds, as if something had seen or heard their entrance. A lantern was quickly poked into the darkness, showing the entirety of the four-way intersection, revealing that no foes were there to be found. Clearly, whatever had seen Tamos and Vanidorr had fled.

"Great," Tamos said. "They know we're here."

"Nah," Vanidorr countered. "They just got scared and ran off. Goblins are testy."

"Ran off to where exactly?" Tamos replied. "Most likely ran off to tell someone."

The scouts alerted the rest of their companions as to the situation, but none seemed in the least deterred by this turn of events. The Heroes continued on, and eventually found the chamber in which they had first faced the Ogre.

"Well, here we are," Lenalia announced. "I don't see any Goblins."

"Isn't this place supposed to be rife with them?" Vanidorr asked.

"You would think they would send out a little greeting party," Tamos pointed out.

Fanning out in the chamber, the Heroes took up positions, expecting a combat soon. Lenalia and Vanidorr readied their bows, and found some cover. Rytahl, Sjoberg, and Tamos formed a line in front of their ranged allies, with Valkyrie, the wolf, sitting at Sjoberg's side. Rothrusk said a short prayer to Valerias, blessing the Heroes with a divine touch.

As Rothrusk finished his devotions, a few creatures became visible on the edge of the lantern's illumination.

"Here we go," Vanidorr said, firing his bow into the crowd. Lenalia joined her companion, firing her bow into the same group. Rothrusk armed his crossbow and did the same, while the other Heroes waited for the Goblins to close in.

But the Goblins did not immediately close in. They had spears, and hurled them at the Heroes in a pack, striking many of them, including Tamos, Rothrusk, and Rytahl. In response, Sjoberg, Rytahl, and Tamos charged forward, with Lenalia, Vanidorr, and Rothrusk providing ranged support.

The battle was met there in the hallway, with a pack of rabid mace-wielding Goblins matching off against the trio of Sjoberg, Rytahl, and Tamos. Though the Goblins fell quickly to the superior skills and weapons of the Heroes, their numbers kept coming, driving the Heroes back. Rytahl went down to a lucky mace strike, and Vanidorr charged forward, dragging her away before one of the Goblins could do the same.

Commanding Valkyrie to attack, Sjoberg pressed the Goblins back, and he and Tamos flanked the group, and smashed the creatures in one each other. With Vanidorr there to help out, it wasn't too long before the remaining pair of Goblins fled down the passage from which they came.

None other than Rytahl were badly injured, and Rothrusk was quick to apply healing magic to repair the fallen warrior-maiden. Before the Heroes could catch their breath, however, more Goblins were on their way. While the majority of this next group was similar to the rank-and-file variety the Heroes were used to seeing, a pair in the very back were armed with shortbows, and were obviously a cut above mere mace-wielding footmen.

Arrows flew on both sides of the combat, and once again, the Heroes got the best of this exchange, though Vanidorr, the recipient of a particularly nasty arrow shot, fell before his companions. As before, Rothrusk was quick on the task, and pulled Vanidorr back before the onrushing mob of Goblins could get to him.

As the Heroes prepared to smear the mace-wielders, they saw the huge Ogre come around the corner, as well as the Goblin Chieftain, who was also wielding a shortbow.

"Now we're talking," Tamos said. "I've got something for our Ogre friend."

The Goblins spread out into the chamber, engaging Rytahl, Sjoberg, his wolf, Valkyrie, and Tamos, who were no match for the smaller creatures. The Goblin Archers, who now found themselves engaged with the barbarian and his pet, each drew a shortsword and dagger, and fought as such, valiantly, and pushed Sjoberg and Valkyrie back a piece.

Ungeheuer marched forward, swinging his huge oaken club as he went. Lenalia and Rothrusk shot arrows at the Ogre, but this barely slowed the creature down at all. Meanwhile, the Goblin Chieftain fired his own bow at the Heroes, nearly dropping Rytahl in her tracks.

Rothrusk rushed to her side. "This isn't going quite as well as I had hoped," he said.

"I'll be fine," Rytahl said. "You must draw upon your powers... save us... I don't think we'll last much longer."

Tamos backed up, waiting for the Ogre's eventual attack. He found his brother in the fray. "If we are able to gang up on the big guy, we should be all right. It's the Chieftain who worries me. We have no idea what he can do."

Bookended by the pair of dual-wielding Goblin Archers, Sjoberg raged and burst through the line, heading straight at the Ogre.

"Sjoberg, no!" Tamos called out, chasing down his imprudent ally. "The Ogre is too tough for you alone!"

"Then I die with glory!" Sjoberg replied. "I'll be seeing you in Valhalla!"

The barbarian met Ungeheuer head-on, wielding his father's sword with great skill, yet uncertain tactics. The wolf, Valkyrie, nipped at the Ogre's heels, but did not greatly distract the huge creature.

Sjoberg and the Ogre exchanged unpleasantries in the Giant language, and then traded blows. Ungeheuer's club got the better of Sjoberg, battering the barbarian's chest, sending him flying against the wall, nearly in the same spot where Lenalia almost met her end. As Sjoberg's limp form crumpled, Valkyrie ran after.

Recognizing the impending danger, Tamos smashed one of the dual-wielding Goblins with a flying jump kick, and found his way to Sjoberg. "Someone keep the Ogre busy!" he said.

Lenalia shot magical bolts at Ungeheuer, which set the creature back a step, while Rothrusk rushed forward, wary of what the Goblin Chieftain might do.

"Valerias," Rothrusk implored, "Protect us in our time of need!"

A wave of thick fog filled the passage, separating the Heroes from the Ogre and the remaining Goblins. "We've got to get out of here," Rothrusk suggested.

"With three wounded, and likely more to come, I'm inclined to agree," Tamos said, dragging the unconscious Sjoberg out of the edge of the fog.

"We're coming back for you, Ungeheuer," Lenalia said, firing one last poorly-aimed bowshot into the fog before fleeing. Rytahl was quickly after the Elf maiden, making sure the Ogre did not come through the fog.

Tamos, carrying Sjoberg, and Rothrusk, carrying Vanidorr, followed slowly, knowing that the fog Rothrusk had summoned should keep their enemies at bay long enough to enable an escape from the Goblin Caves.

Once the Heroes were into the clearing, Tamos spoke. "We are defeated once again," he said. "The question is, have we learned our lesson?"

"Are you saying we should go back inside?" Rothrusk demanded. "That's insanity."

"Surely we are dwindling their numbers," the Elf maiden suggested. "Let's camp and recuperate. Seeing the Goblin Chieftain enter battle on his own suggests that they are getting desperate."

"I think we should return to Merghis Keep and resupply," Tamos said. "Then, once we are ready, return and finish the job."

It was agreed, and the Heroes made a quick camp to heal the fallen enough to travel. They undertook a rather quiet trip back to the Keep, with a few fiery discussions settled by the time the companions arrived in safety.

"Hey," Rothrusk said when they arrived at the Keep, "At least no one died this time."

END GAME SESSION FOUR

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Ariel's Tale

It was long after the closing bell, and Mirra Featherton was growing weary. After a long work week, Mirra was looking forward to a day of rest. But before that could happen, there was still the matter of cleaning up Shardstone Tavern following a particularly hearty crowd, and booting out the few drunks that didn't have the wherewithal to leave on their own.

Walding Shardstone, the owner's son and sometimes cook and table scrubber (also known as the Pot Boy), was helping Mirra to clean up. He was learning the trade from his father, Sandros, who was nowhere near ready to retire just yet. Still, having an extra set of skilled hands around never hurt, and thus was the young Dwarf brought into this apprenticeship.

Sandros, as usual, was in the back, tallying up the night's profits, leaving Walding and Mirra to finish up and deal with the remaining customers.

By the time Walding had ushered the last drunk out the doors and locked them, Mirra was about three quarters done with the clean up effort, and looked dog-tired from the effort.

"You look worn down, Mirra," Walding said. "I can finish in here if you want to go home."

"Home..." Mirra said, looking through the window at the dim outdoors, and the lifeless courtyard beyond. "I wish I could go home."

Walding realized his error. "Oh, I mean..."

"I know what you mean," Mirra replied. "I just meant that, well, this is your home, of course. But this is... a harsher life than I had envisioned."

"You don't like your apartment then?" the young Dwarf asked, clearing up the last of the broken glass from one corner.

"It is fine," Mirra said. "Really, I have no complaints, given what many choose to live in throughout the Keep. It's just that, well, this is a dreary place, full of death and heartache. Not at all the sort of place I thought that I might..." She looked again out the window.

"It's getting late," Sandros said, emerging from the back room. Neither Walding nor Mirra had seen him enter. "Mirra, you should get some rest. I understand you have something interesting planned for your day off?"

"Yes," Mirra replied. "I sure do. I'll see you two in a few days then."

Mirra left Shardstone Tavern. She would indeed return in a few days, but be a changed woman for the intervening events.

The courtyard was empty. Of course, it was long, long after dark, and even the lamps had started to go dim. Mirra noted that the street lanterns were good for about eight hours, so it might have been three in the morning at this point, since normally, the watch lit the lanterns about half an hour before sundown.

There was a light rain, but this barely caught Mirra's attention as she thought of the journey she would start the next day - not a physical journey at all, but a spiritual one, or at least a mental one in any event, and one that would change her for the better.

As she went on towards the set of private apartments that ringed one side of Merchant's Row, Mirra considered what path her life had taken since she left Penhaligon, the city of her birth and upbringing, and how she had come to be a barmaid at Shardstone Tavern, in the Borderlands of all places, one of the dreariest places in all the Known World.

Mirra rounded a corner and found her apartment door. It was a simple wooden door, with a single lock. It struck her one day how plain this door was, so Mirra painted her last name, Featherton, on a board and hung it on the front, giving the place some personality. It also reminded Mirra of home.

As she entered, Mirra set down her key in a small bowl on the stand, and closing the door, fumbled around for her flint with which to light a small lamp next to the stand.

A flame flashed from deeper into the dark room, catching Mirra off guard. Whomever was holding this flame drew closer. "Need a light, cousin?"

"Ariel," Mirra said, recognizing the girl holding the flame. "What are you doing here?"

"Do I need an excuse to visit my dear cousin, Mirra?" Ariel replied. "It's a social call."

"At this hour?" Mirra remarked. "You must surely keep strange company to consider this an appropriate time for a visit." With the room now lit, Mirra crossed to the small kitchen and began to brew some hot water.

"This is the best I could do," Ariel said. "I had to wait until after the tavern closed."

"Why couldn't you come see me at work?" Mirra asked. "Ale on the house, you know."

"I don't need your charity, Mirra," Ariel Remorr said as she lounged on Mirra's couch. She was far different than Mirra had recalled from their days in Penhaligon. Their families worked an oat mill, which had been in the family for generations. Ariel's mother, Rayanne, was sister to Mirra's father, Jonas Featherton, the overseer of the mill and current family patriarch.

Mirra was the first of the children to leave Penhaligon. Interested in pursuing her artwork, Mirra found nothing in the city of her birth to inspire her, and left for parts unknown. Many years passed, and no one had heard from Mirra. Finally, word reached the family that Mirra had found refuge in a Monastery in the Barony of Kelvin. Apparently, Mirra was there to study art along with the Monks, and spent quite a long time in study. For reasons unknown to those in the family, Mirra went from the Monastery to Merghis Keep, where she became a barmaid.

Ariel, on the other hand, left Penhaligon for far different reasons. She too had no interest in the mill business, and found her love of dance as a member of an elite traveling dance troupe. She was a star, with talent far greater than any of her fellow troupe members. Not only was Ariel a skilled and graceful dancer, her beauty was such that she had garnered the attention of nobles and wealthy merchants, and had many suitors for her affections. But Ariel was not to become the trophy wife of some minor noble or wealthy fob - her aspirations ran much deeper than that.

No one knew what had happened to Ariel once she left Penhaligon for good, but rumors were such that Mirra had a million questions.

"So how have you been?" Mirra asked. It was a simple enough opening question, one that Mirra felt fairly certain Ariel would answer truthfully. The true tests would be forthcoming soon enough.

"I am well," Ariel replied. She was a vision all right - wearing black leather armor, a pair of swords at her sides, and several pouches and things on her belt, a pair of small crossbows at her back, and a pair of quivers on her thighs, one on each side. "Doing quite well, actually. And you?"

"Likewise," Mirra said. "Although, well, I've been better. I'm in somewhat of a doldrum. I'm trying something tomorrow that I hope will break me out of this funk. This is such a depressing place."

Mirra brought her cousin some tea. "Tell me, Ariel," she said. "What have you been up to? From the looks of things, you don't seem to be pursuing the life of a dancer anymore."

Ariel smirked. "I have left dancing behind," she explained. "I loved to dance. Still do. But, I have love for other things now."

"Such as...?"

Giving her cousin a sly look, Ariel answered, "Let's just say there are higher priorities for me now than showing off my dance skills to a bunch of bloated merchants. I am in pursuit of something greater now."

"I heard that you had caught the attention of a great many nobles in your dancing days," Mirra said. "I would have thought you'd have married by now. You are quite the fetching girl, you know."

Of course, Ariel knew. Everything she did was based on what sort of attention she might attract, and from whom. It was in her every step, her every word. Ariel had a presence about her, and she planned to use this to her every advantage.

Ariel stroked her long black hair, drawn back into a loose ponytail. "Yes, there have been some very worthy suitors," she said. "The ones I chose not to bed, they were useful to me in other ways. I have done very well for myself. But a courtly life... it's not for me."

Mirra frowned. "So you made your way around the Grand Duke's court," she said disapprovingly. "I had expected quite a bit more from you."

"Don't be so judgmental, Mirra," Ariel countered. "A woman's wiles are a very powerful commodity. You have to know how to use them to your advantage."

"So you made a practice of seducing men for their money... how noble."

"Don't knock it til you try it," Ariel replied. "I don't suppose you are married."

"No," Mirra said. "I have made quite a mess of myself. I doubt a man would have me. Sure, many adventurers have come along with offers. I don't know that the life of an adventurer's wife is for me. I worry too much."

"Adventurers, huh?" Ariel said. "I guess this place would attract a lot of them. Don't imagine many of them return from the Caves of Chaos."

"They do not," Mirra replied. "What do you know of the Caves?"

Ariel put down her tea and stood. "Well, that's why I'm here, in a roundabout sense."

"I was starting to wonder," Mirra said. "So your being here has something to do with the Caves? That seems strange to me."

"I can assure you that such was not my intention," Ariel explained. "The Borderlands are about the last place I imagined myself."

"So how then did you come to be here?"

"That is a long story, cousin..." Ariel said. "Perhaps another cup of tea."

Once the tea was ready, both cousins sat down to discuss current events. Ariel learned that Mirra was an aspiring artist, and had done some portraits on commission for some members of the Borderlands Trade Guild. Mirra hoped to do some more artwork - in fact, that was what she had planned for the following day.

Ariel had taken many lovers since General Daerrin of Specularum had first won her heart. Daerrin introduced Ariel to the Grand Duke's court, where she danced even as she dallied with many of its members. From General Daerrin, Ariel moved onto his son, Herid, and then onto Walterin, son of a wealthy merchant family. What followed was a dizzying list of powerful and influential men within the court and the upper classes, and Mirra could barely keep up with Ariel's tale.

Finally, Ariel centered on the man that had recently become central in her life - Baron Sarkenin, the Grand Duke's second-born son!

"Baron Sarkenin?" Mirra asked. "As in, ruler of this very Barony?"

"Yes," Ariel replied. "We have been lovers for some time. I suppose I have been waiting for him to ask for my hand. I'd hoped that we were beyond the class difference, but maybe he had a change of heart."

"I don't understand why that would bring you here," Mirra said.

"You obviously don't keep up on courtly politics then," Ariel remarked. "Grand Duke Stephan recently asked the Castellan of this Keep, Winmark, to assemble an army to clear out the Caves."

"I am aware of this," Mirra advised.

"Yes, but do you know why?" Ariel asked. Before her cousin could reply, Ariel continued. "Baron Sarkenin asked for it, as he was making preparations to move into this region, to make his home in the Borderlands themselves."

"The Baron wished to move here?" Mirra queried. "But this place... it is unsuitable for a noble of his place."

"Exactly," Ariel replied. "Which is why it was to be cleared out. But the Baron had little faith in Winmark's ability to follow through on this request, given the Castellan's lack of aptitude in dealing with the Caves of Chaos in the first place. So he came along, disguised as a member of one of the mercenary armies hired to root out the evil humanoids."

"Baron Sarkenin came here?" Mirra asked. "To the Caves of Chaos?"

"A dangerous undertaking, to be sure," Ariel said. "But it was not the first time the Baron had been here. I learned just before he left that Sarkenin had been to the Caves on many occasions. Not sure why."

"So he knows them well," Mirra said. "Not sure that's a good reason to go back, but at least it makes more sense now."

"That's one theory anyway," Ariel admitted.

"So you followed him here?" Mirra asked. "To make sure he survived?"

"Yes," Ariel replied. "But I lost sight of him after his group entered the Caves... I kept watch, hoping he would emerge... his group did emerge after a few hours... but Sarkenin was not among them."

"Are you certain of this?" Mirra asked, lurching forward. "Has he been captured?"

"That is why I have come to the Keep," Ariel revealed. "There is much to discuss, but we both need our rest. You don't mind if I stay here tonight, do you?"

"No," Mirra replied. "You must tell me what you are planning, Ariel."

"I will," Ariel said. "Don't worry. By tomorrow, you'll wish to be rid of me."

Insight

Adventurer
Rescue from the Goblin Horde Part One

It was midday, and Ariel watched her cousin, Mirra, paint a picturesque scene of a landscape - a lush valley below the hill upon which they sat. To the southwest, Merghis Keep sat upon its own hillock, and to the east, a dense, foreboding forest rose into the distance, looming as far as the eye could see. In the distance, far, far to the northeast, one could also see the Altan Tepes Mountains poking above the treeline.

"Looks great, Mirra," Ariel remarked. "You are quite talented."

Mirra looked on, trying to gauge the colors to use to detail the painting. She was trying to create a fairly exact portrait of the scene in front of her, and this required some depth of concentration. Perhaps bringing her ascerbic cousin along for this day of introspection and art was ill-advised.

"I don't know," Mirra replied. "It's been a long time since I picked up these brushes."

"You don't seem to have lost much in the months... years... since you last painted," Ariel said. "It's not something you just forget how to do."

Mirra continued to dab at her artwork. "So what do you think has happened to your beau?"

Ariel frowned. "The Baron? Who knows?" she said colorlessly. "All I know is that he went into those Caves and never came out."

"How do you know he never came out?" Mirra asked. "Is there a chance he came out when you were asleep or used a different exit?"

"I suppose that's possible," Ariel replied. "But no one has seen him at the Keep. I asked around. Those military men... they would know if the Baron was in their presence."

"But you said he was in disguise," Mirra observed.

"Yes, he was in disguise," Ariel said. "But his plan was to reveal himself to the Castellan, Winmark... when he returned from the Caves. This has yet to happen, and I am worried."

Mirra looked at her cousin. "I see," she said. "Is this why you have come to see me then? To see if I have heard anything about your Baron?"

"No," Ariel replied. "I didn't think that you had heard anything. But I figured you might know someone who can help me. You work in the only tavern at a military installation, after all. You hear things... you know people, desperate people... they might be able to aid in my cause."

"Your cause?" Mirra asked pointedly.

"I think I need to rescue Baron Sarkenin from the Caves," Ariel revealed. "And I think you might know people who can help me."

Mirra looked off into the distance. "I don't know, cousin," she said. "I know people who may be capable of joining you in this effort, but the Caves are a dangerous place. Too many of my friends have gone there are not returned." Then, Mirra squinted. "Uh oh," she said.

Ariel knew that sort of tone all too well, and hopped to her feet. "Uh oh what?"

She looked in the same direction, and saw what her cousin had seen. "Goblins," she said.

"Lots of them," Mirra added. "Coming this way."

"I don't suppose running is an option," Ariel said, drawing her pair of hand crossbows and loading them. "I can take out a few, but there's go to be close to thirty of the buggers."

"With bows," Mirra said. "We won't be able to outrun them on this open ground. The nearest cover is... behind them."

It wasn't long before the Goblins were upon Mirra and Ariel. The creatures took the girls and tied them up, taking any important equipment from Ariel and Mirra.

"Looks like we'll be spending even more time together," Mirra stated dejectedly.

"Hey, at least we'll have plenty of time to catch up with each other," Ariel said.

The Goblins took Ariel and Mirra up a ridge and back to the camp, where a Goblin Warband awaited further instructions from their superiors.

The Heroes had arrived at Merghis Keep beaten and tired, and needed a night's rest before they could make any decisions as to their future. In particular, Sjoberg and Vanidorr needed some more healing, and for the moment, Rothrusk, the group's healer, was worn thin on devotions. It was thus decided to make a trip to the Chapel, where Curate Ethelau would hopefully provide healing and perhaps some supplies for a return to the Caves of Chaos.

There was also the matter of the strange silver urn the Heroes had found in the Bugbears' possession. Lenalia had examined the urn, and found that it was enscribed with magical writing. When she had a chance, the Elf maiden wanted to exmaine this urn a little closer.

Rothrusk ushered Sjoberg and Vanidorr to the Chapel, while Lenalia, Tamos, and Rytahl took Sjoberg's wolf, Valkyrie, to the Traveler's Inn and booked rooms for the crew.

At the Chapel, Curate Ethelau was pleased to see her protege, Rothrusk, once again. She quickly took care of the injured, and then took Rothrusk aside for a short conversation.

"So I see you have picked up a few more companions," Ethelau said. "You have grown in stature then... this is a good thing."

"I have?" Rothrusk queried. "I suppose so. I found them in the Caves. Our friend Sjoberg here was captured, and we rescued him from the Bugbears."

"And what did you learn from this experience?" Ethelau asked.

"I don't know..." Rothrusk replied. "It's a trying experience, that's for sure. We once again faced the Ogre, and once again, a few of our members nearly died."

"But you will face the Ogre again," Ethelau revealed. "And next time, with the wisdom you have gained from the first pair of encounters, victory will be yours."

"I hope so," Rothrusk said. "The others are anxious to return and exact revenge."

"Now is not the time for such rash actions," the Curate said. "I would like to see you spend some time here in the Chapel. I have set aside some tomes for your perusal in the Library. Please, if you would, study those works. I believe they will prepare you well for your ordainment."

"I am to be ordained then? When?" Rothrusk eagerly asked.

"It is coming soon, Rothrusk," Ethelau revealed. "Very soon. Study those works, and I think you will find what you're looking for."

Meanwhile, Lenalia returned to the Travelers' Inn with Rytahl and Tamos, and rented rooms for everyone. Her main interest was the strange silver urn the Heroes had found in the Bugbear Caves. Magical writings were enscribed along the outside in a wide band. The Elf sorceress had examined these etchings on the way back to Merghis Keep, but had not yet discerned their meaning.

Lenalia took to her room, where Tamos joined her in investigating the urn. The urn's lid was some sort of face, with 'teeth' that would meet when the lid was closed. The urn was clearly tarnished, and could do with a good cleaning. Tamos left such magical things to Lenalia, as he was no expert in arcana.

After Lenalia had spent some time with the urn, she realized that the magical writing was a recipe of some kind, though the writing did not reveal exactly the nature of what was being created with the recipe. The writing called for certain ingredients to be placed within the urn, and then a command word uttered to affect a transformation. Lenalia suspected that this would create some sort of potion, but wasn't certain that she was right in this assessment.

"These ingredients are easily obtainable from the Tradesman," Lenalia revealed.

"Shall we go then?" Tamos asked. And off they went.

Turns out the ingredients were indeed easily obtainable. In total, it was only the cost of a few gold pieces, and the Tradesman, who took the courtesy to stock many strange items for spellcasters, had all of the ingredients available. Before too long, Lenalia and Tamos returned to their room at the Travelers' Inn.

"Well..." Tamos said, looking at Lenalia and her armful of ingredients. "What do you think?"

The Elf maiden set down the ingredients next to the urn. "Seems harmless enough," she replied.

"We have no idea what the urn will make, if anything," Tamos observed. "It might just blow up in our faces for all we know."

"I don't think so," Lenaia countered. "Why would someone create an item like that? Makes more sense that it transforms these ingredients into something useful."

"You have heard of cursed items, right?" Tamos asked.

"Sure," Lenalia replied. "But, I highly doubt this is cursed."

"It's your call," Tamos said, backing up a few steps. As he did, Lenalia dumped the ingredients into the urn, creating a purplish mess inside. "Mmm," Tamos said. "Looks delicious!"

Closing the urn's lid, Lenalia smiled. "Ready?" Tamos closed his eyes and murmured a prayer to one of the Immortals.

Lenalia intoned the Command Word and a short burst of light from within the urn was the response, with a purplish cloud seeping from the seams in the urn's lid an aftermath to the event.

Tamos opened one eye. "We're still alive," he said. "Good."

Leaning over, Lenalia popped open the lid, and peered inside the urn. "Hmm... doesn't look that much different."

Tamos joined her. "It's a slightly different purple goo."

"Does that mean you're volunteering to drink it?" Lenalia asked.

He backed off. "Hehe, no... it's your purple goo. You drink it."

"Very well," Lenalia replied, producing an empty potion vial from her pouch. She deftly poured the purple liquid into the vial. Holding the vial up to the light, Lenalia saw a violet fluid with gold-colored flecks floating in the material. She smelled it. "Eek... that doesn't smell good."

She drank it up, and finished the purple liquid without immediately dying. Lenalia smiled. "Goes down smooth," she said.

"Nothing?" Tamos asked.

"Hmm... we'll see," Lenalia replied.

Together, Tamos and Lenalia entered the hallway, where Rytahl was waiting for them.

"I see nothing bad happened to you two," Rytahl commented.

"Not yet anyway," Tamos said. "We'll see..."

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Rescue from the Goblin Horde Part Two

Lenalia sat on the bed in her room at the Travelers' Inn. She was alone now, having drank the strange Purple Potion she made through the urn. While the Elf maiden hadn't seen any evidence of an effect so far, Lenalia was tense, and needed to get out. Leaving her room, Lenalia found Tamos and Vanidorr, who were out in the hallway.

The decided to make for Shardstone Tavern, and it wouldn't be too long before the rest of the companions would be there as well. The companions found a table in the back, and after ordering from ales from Walding, the owner's son, got down to business.

"We definitely need to think of ways to take care of that Ogre," Tamos said. "I'm tired of running away from that thing."

"He is dangerous," Lenalia admitted. "I think with our new friends, we have more than enough firepower to handle Ungeheuer."

"Should we go back now?" Vanidorr asked. "The others should be healed up."

"It's getting late," Tamos answered. "I'd like to rest another day before heading back to the Caves of Chaos. Wouldn't hurt to have everyone at full strength before going back there."

Rothrusk, the aspiring Cleric, walked into the tavern, and quickly found his friends. Before joining them at their table, Rothrusk stopped at the bar.

"Sandros," he said.

The Dwarven taverner turned and a glint returned to the owner's eyes. "Rothrusk!" he exclaimed. "I am glad to see you."

"Ha ha," Rothrusk replied. "An ale then, my good man! I am glad to see you as well."

"You are a good customer, Rothrusk," Sandros said. "But that is not why I am glad to see you... we must speak - privately."

Rothrusk shot a glance towards his allies, who were also now joined by the barbarian Sjoberg, his wolf, Valkyrie, and the warrior-maiden, Rytahl. The companions were undoubtedly planning the next foray into the Caves of Chaos, and Rothrusk wanted to make sure to be a part of the discussion.

"Very well, Sandros," Rothrusk replied. "I'll hear you out."

The pair went into the back room, where Sandros Shardstone did his books. Shardstone Tavern was by all accounts a highly successful venture, being the only watering hole in a place flush with both military men and adventurers, both groups being fond of drink.

"There is a problem I wish to ask you about," Sandros continued. "I know that you and Mirra have spoken on many occasions, and she has mentioned you in our own conversations, so I know that you and Mirra are friends."

"Friends?" Rothrusk asked. "I suppose so."

"Well, I'd given Mirra the day off, so that she could pursue her interests outside of this tavern. Did you know that she's an artist? Anyway, Mirra had a visitor the other night after work. I happen to know that this visitor was none other than her long-lost cousin, Ariel."

The Dwarf crossed the room, leaving Rothrusk where he sat. "This may be nothing," Sandros continued. "But I'm worried. I was expecting Mirra back today, and she did not show up for work." Sandros turned and shot Rothrusk a cold look. "I suspect foul play."

Rothrusk was clearly surprised. "What makes you think that?" he asked. "Do you think this Ariel had something to do with her absence?"

"Perhaps," Sandros said, nearing the seated aspirant. "But my real concern is that... well, I know where Mirra went. She was to paint a landscape. Mirra's been talking about a valley to the northeast. I know the spot. She must've gone there."

"I don't understand," Rothrusk admitted. "Why do you think something happened to Mirra?"

"The place she went," Sandros replied. "It's not very safe. I tried to warn her, but she's very headstrong. It's near the forest... and you and I both know what can be found in that blasted forest!"

Rothrusk stood. "If you can describe to me this place you think Mirra went, I promise she will be found."

"I knew that you would offer to help," Sandros said. "That is precisely why I asked. I also know that you and your friends are adventurers, and will undertake the cause of common folk like myself. I also know that the promise of gold coin will sway you." He smiled.

"While I am not necessarily swayed by such things," Rothrusk explained, "I have a feeling my companions would certainly be more willing if there was some sort of reward."

"As I suspected," Sandros said. "I have a reward of 500 gold pieces set aside for rescuing Mirra. I hope that is enough to persuade your friends to help."

"It should be," Rothrusk said, half walking out the door into the main part of the tavern. "Convincing them to help... to do something outside of the Caves... shouldn't be a problem."

"Before you go," Sandros said, "I have something that might help. Mirra's apron. It's the only personal item of hers that I have... I know that the wolf might be able to track using her scent."

"Sjoberg's wolf..." Rothrusk remarked. "Yes, I believe that will help a lot."

Sandros handed over the apron, and the pair emerged. While the Dwarf returned to tending bar, Rothrusk went over to his allies' table and presented the terms of the rescue mission. In a short time, it was agreed, and the Heroes returned to the Travelers' Inn to equip themselves and get ready for the rescue attempt.

"What's going on out there?" Mirra asked. She and her cousin, Ariel, were tied together to a short post dug into the group inside of a tent. Their Goblin captors had thus far treated the girls well, but there was no telling when that behavior would stop.

Mirra had a suspicion that Ariel knew the Goblins' language, the way she reacted when the creatures spoke around the ladies.

"They are making some sort of plans," Ariel said, finally confirming what Mirra suspected for a few hours now. "These Goblins are part of some kind of larger group. They are not in control of things. Their leader seems to be an Ogre - if you can believe that."

"An Ogre?" Mirra asked. "One of my adventurer friends, Rothrusk, spoke of an Ogre within the Caves of Chaos. I wonder if this Ogre leader and the creature Rothrusk and his friends found within the Caves are one and the same."

"Who knows..." Ariel replied. "Unless we find a way out of here, it's not going to matter much."

"Why?" Mirra asked. "Are they going to eat us... or sacrifice us to their foul goddess?"

"I'm not certain of their plans for us," Ariel answered. "But I do know one thing. These Goblins have bigger plans than capturing a pair of human girls. We are the least of their concerns."

"What makes you say that?" Mirra queried.

"If I'm right," Ariel replied. "There are a lot more of these creatures and things like them out in the Borderlands. They are massing for something... it can't be good, whatever it is..."

"It must be something more than mere banditry," Mirra said.

"You've got that right, cousin," Ariel said. "In fact, I think they might be planning to hit Merghis Keep!"

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Rescue from the Goblin Horde Part Three

The wolf, Valkyrie sniffed at the ground as she tromped along the dusty ground outside Merghis Keep. Her handler, Sjoberg, a barbarian of the north, followed closely behind, clasping the apron he was given to use to track the wayward cousins. Thirty paces behind, Lenalia, the Elf maiden, the brothers Tamos and Rothrusk, and their new companions, the plucky Vanidorr, and the warrior-maiden, Rytahl, brought up the rear.

They had been out of the Keep for nearly an hour, and so far, the search had been fruitless. Valkyrie had been at it for quite a while now, and the others were getting restless.

"Are you sure that's a hunting... er, wolf?" Tamos asked. He wasn't that knowledgeable about wolves, though Tamos was certainly familiar with various breeds of hunting dogs that could do the trick.

Sjoberg turned. "Do not question Valkyrie's abilities," he said resolutely. "She has carried me far and wide, and is a tracker of great skill."

Lenalia, a child of the forest and no slouch when it came to the outdoors, joined Sjoberg. "Don't mind them," the Elf said. "They are city-folk, and don't understand much of nature."

"Aye," Sjoberg replied. "I am glad for their aid in recovering the Sword of my Father, and I am bound to them by life-debt, but... I do not know why you choose to follow them."

"Speaking of that," Lenalia said. "I assume the sword is in good condition. Everything fine with it?"

"Yes," the barbarian answered. "Why do you ask?"

"I don't see it anywhere on you," Lenalia said. "Do you not carry it in battle?"

Sjoberg frowned. "It is not for use in battle," he revealed. "For that, I have this pickaxe." He drew a strange weapon made from the bone of some large creature. It had a steel handle, but its heads were of bone - one side was an axe, and the other the sharp point of a miner's pick.

"Interesting," the Elf said, marveling at the weapon. "What is that anyway? I've not seen anything like it."

"Tis mine own creation," Sjoberg explained. "I slew an ancient enemy of my tribe, and crafted this weapon from its bones. This is a rite among my people."

"I see," the Elf said, stopping before making further comment as Valkyrie bounded off and up a hill, stopping at its apex, barking.

Sjoberg looked up and replaced the pickaxe in his belt. "She's found something," he said.

The Heroes made their way to the top of the hill, and gave it a good search. After a while, Tamos and Rytahl both found different clues, and it led the Heroes to believe they had found the spot where at least someone was doing some painting. There were short divets in the dirt and grass, three in number, indicating that something was set into the ground here for some period of time. In addition, Tamos found paint stains on the ground near these holes, confirming the suspicions as to the nature of what had transpired.

"So we've got some paint stains and such," Vanidorr said. "I suppose that means at least Mirra was here."

"She's the one we're after," Rothrusk pointed out. "But Mirra isn't anywhere to be found."

"What of this Ariel, her cousin?" Rytahl asked. "Any evidence to suggest she was here as well?"

"I see many tracks of humanoids," Sjoberg revealed. "I will need some time before I know who was here. But this is a starting place. Here, Valkyrie." As the wolf came to him, Sjoberg again had the animal sniff the apron the Heroes had been given. "Find," he commanded. In response, Valkyrie took off, running around in the valley just north of the hill.

The barbarian examined the tracks, looking in particular down near the northern base of the hill. "Others were here," he said. "Smaller, more in number."

"What do you think they are?" Vanidorr asked.

"I'd say Goblins," Sjoberg replied.

The Heroes, using the tracks Sjoberg had found, followed along using mostly moonlight and the dim illumination of Rothrusk's lantern. They traveled from the base of the hill where paint stains and Goblin tracks had been found, all the way up a narrow ridge and to the top of a forested plateau about an hour away. Merghis Keep could still be seen in the distance, as well as the entirety of the valley below, the very landscape Mirra had intended to paint before her untimely capture.

Sjoberg stopped the group as they came upon a pair of posts marking the entrance to what appeared to be a clearing, though the scouts could tell it was occupied.

"Totems," Sjoberg explained. "These are common in the North. Tribes use them to mark territory."

"Do they look like anything you've seen before?" Tamos asked.

"No, but these small skulls..." Sjoberg replied, referring to a pair of animal skulls dangling from the posts. "Painted with some sort of language I do not know."

"This must be a Goblin encampment," Vanidorr said. "I have seen the like. Shouldn't be too much trouble." He started off into the forest ringing the clearing.

"Wait a minute," Tamos said. "We don't know what's really in there. It could be anything!"

"That's why I'm going to scout," Vanidorr explained.

"Not without me, you're not!" Tamos said, joining his ally in the darkening forest.

The pair spent some time sneaking through the trees, angling ever closer to the clearing and the camp within it. After about fifteen minutes, they were close enough to see inside the clearing, but their perspective wasn't the greatest. Vanidorr decided to climb a tree for a better view, and Tamos stayed on the ground to guard.

Vanidorr could see a lot better now, and it was obvious that this was indeed a Goblin camp of some kind. He thought it strange that only four Goblins were on patrol - after all, being nocturnal creatures, Goblins should be far more numerous at night. It occurred to Vanidorr that perhaps the majority of the warriors might have been out on a raid.

"See anything?" Tamos shouted up, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Vanidorr climbed halfway down to effect better communications. "Yes," he said. "It's a Goblin camp all right. There are six tents, a dark fire pit, and some sort of fortifications on the far side. I can't see them all that well."

"I'll go warn the others," Tamos replied. "Any guards?"

"Only four," Vanidorr said. "That worries me a little."

"Why? We can take four Goblins," Tamos pointed out.

"It worries me that I only see four of them," Vanidorr explained. "There should be more in a camp this size."

"You're right," Tamos replied. "Stay here until I return. I'll warn the others and see what they want to do."

Tamos left, and Vanidorr returned to his watchpost. After five minutes had passed, Vanidorr noticed that the four Goblin guards were stating to get closer to his tree. Had they seen him? Vanidorr was being careful not to make too much noise, but being this high in the tree, the Goblins might have been able to see Vanidorr with their nightvision. He might have a problem after all...

Emerging from the treeline, Tamos was met with drawn weapons. "Hey, it's just old Tamos here," he said, his hands raised in mock surrender.

"What did you two find?" Rothrusk asked.

"It's definitely a Goblin camp of some kind," Tamos explained. "Six tents, a fire pit, also Vanidorr said he saw some kind of fortifications on the far side of the camp."

"Facing the forest or facing the valley?" Rytahl queried.

"I didn't see them myself," Tamos replied, "But I would have to say facing the valley from what he described."

"You mean overlooking the ridge," Lenalia clarified. "The open part of the clearing as it faces the dropoff and the valley below."

"Yes," Tamos said. "No idea what that might be for."

"They have likely been here for a while then," Rytahl said. "I don't expect Goblins build fortifications for no reason. I wonder why they wanted to protect themselves against something coming from the valley."

"No time for wondering," Sjoberg said. "The Goblins must pay for capturing Mirra and Ariel. We must strike now, when they will not expect it!"

The barbarian and his wolf urged forward, and the other Heroes cautiously followed. As he promised, Tamos returned to find his treebound ally, not knowing that someone else had also found Vanidorr.

Insight

Adventurer
Rescue from the Goblin Horde Part Four

Vanidorr was surrounded by a quartet of bow-wielding Goblins. They had him treed, although Vanidorr was sure he could leap from tree to tree in this dense forest to escape them if need be. When the Goblins started lighting their arrows on fire, he knew it was time to put that plan into action.

Jumping as cautiously as possible, Vanidorr leapt to the nearest tree, trying to get closer to the edge of the clearing. Vanidorr's goal in this was to see if he could detect any more Goblins coming his way, or perhaps warn his friends should they get too close to the camp.

Unfortunately, the Goblins had little trouble locating Vanidorr and fired flaming arrows in his general direction. He jumped again, hopping closer to the edge of the clearing. In response, the Goblins fired again, missing him, but getting closer with each shot.

Things were getting desperate. Vanidorr considered climbing down and fighting the little buggers, and just as he was ready to do so, Tamos arrived, fresh from warning the others about what lay ahead in the camp. Tamos took to the Goblin Archers and battled them in melee, his fists quickly getting the better of the outclassed archers.

When the field had cleared, it was Tamos alone standing, the four Goblins at his feet. Vanidorr climbed halfway down.

"Whew," he said. "Glad you made it back."

"I wouldn't want you to take the heat all by yourself," Tamos replied, smirking.

"Funny," Vanidorr shot back. "So what's the plan?"

"The others are already on their way into the camp," Tamos explained. "The barbarian is eager for battle I think. I hope he doesn't lead them into anything they can't handle."

"I'm going to stay here," Vanidorr said. "I think having a scout up in the trees may help the rest of you. I can fire my bow from here if need be."

"Can you see anything from up there?" Tamos asked. "It's kinda dark."

"I can see well enough... if they get close."

"All right then," Tamos replied. "In that case, I'm heading into the camp. I can do more good there than I can here. Take care of yourself, Vanidorr."

Tamos took off through the treeline and into the camp, where he would soon join his fellow Heroes in a pitched battle.

Sjoberg was first into the camp, followed by his faithful wolf, Valkyrie. The pair were met by a scene of Goblins preparing for battle. Clearly, they had been forewarned that an attack might be imminent.

The barbarian and his animal ally met the Goblins with tenacity, and brought down several Footmen with ease, though they did not escape completely unharmed. Sjoberg said nothing of his minor injuries, and pressed on.

Meanwhile, Lenalia, the Elven sorceress and Rytahl, the warrior-maiden closed in behind Sjoberg, using missile weapons and in the case of Lenalia, magic spells, to bolster the assault. Before going in, Rothrusk said a prayer to Valerias, his Immortal deity, to bless his allies in their time of battle.

As Rothrusk prepared his crossbow, Rytahl dropped her own and drew her pick and handaxe, charging in to join Sjoberg and Valkyrie. Rytahl was much more comfortable in close combat, and really never liked using the crossbow unless vitally necessary to the strategy or situation.

But the Goblins weren't about to let a few adventurers ruin their plans. As the first waves of Footmen fell, more streamed out of the six tents at the far side of the encampment. Archers formed a line behind the second wave of Footmen, firing volleys of arrows at the Heroes, targeting especially Lenalia and Rothrusk. The Footmen ranked around Rytahl, Sjoberg, and Valkyrie, outnumbering and nearly overpowering the close combat allies. When the Archers had fired off their first volley of missiles, they jumped into the dug-in fortifications, whose purpose was now obvious to the Heroes as a hiding place for the Archers in time of combat.

Seeing his fellows in trouble, Rothrusk dropped his crossbow and charged in, targeting one of the Goblin Lieutenants, but missed badly and was nearly taken out by his own clumsiness.

The battle raged on, with the Heroes being slowly worn down. The injuries were not grevious in any sense by themselves, but it really was a question of fatigue and slow blood loss setting in. After a few minutes, the Goblins, now bolstered by their leaders, pushed the Heroes back. Rothrusk, Rytahl, Sjoberg, and Valkyrie were forced to retreat back to the position Lenalia had been using for missile support, and now all five Heroes were battling Goblin Footmen and dodging javelins and arrows.

Meanwhile, Tamos had entered the camp from the other side, behind the tents, and observed quietly, trying to decide what to do to help his friends. Sneaking in closer, Tamos spotted what he assumed was the Goblin Commander, a larger fellow with superior arms and armor, who was staying very close to a post in the center of camp. Looking closer, Tamos saw a pair of human females tied to the post - Ariel and Mirra were indeed here!

Cautiously dancing between the tents in an effort to get closer, Tamos tried to get close enough to free the cousins from their captivity. Unfortunately, before he could get close enough, the Goblin Commander saw Tamos and gave chase. Tamos stopped and briefly fought the Goblin Commander before being badly wounded and forced to flee.

The Heroes fought off the remaining Goblins as best they could, but were eventually forced to retreat. But they had seen what the Goblin encampment had to offer, and had taken out nearly half of the Goblins' numbers before retreating. The Heroes would return to finish the job soon, and hopefully before anything happened to Ariel and Mirra!

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Rescue from the Goblin Horde Part Five

Rytahl stared into the smoldering campfire, wondering what exactly she and Vanidorr had gotten themselves into. Though their once and future companion, Sjoberg, had been with them for a while now, Vanidorr and Rytahl had been adventuring together for quite a bit longer. Realizing that the barbarian seemed a lot more eager for battle and bloodshed than even she had imagined, Rytahl wondered if she really knew Sjoberg at all.

Vanidorr wasn't with them. He had stayed in the trees to watch the Goblin Camp overnight. Rytahl felt alone when Vanidorr was gone, and she worried about him. This much was evident to most of her companions.

"He'll be fine," Tamos said in an attempt to comfort Rytahl.

"I know," she replied. "It's just... those Goblins... they are dangerous in numbers."

"Vanidorr seems resourceful," Tamos said. "I doubt the Goblins could even find him, keeping hidden in the trees as he does."

"Yes," Rytahl said, looking into the fire. "He is one of my only close friends. It would be a shame were anything to happen to him."

The pair continued talking about the current situation, and soon, Lenalia got the group's attention.

"All right, everyone," she said. "We are still in danger, so I propose watches overnight, so that in case the Goblins find us, we will be warned."

Rothrusk smiled. "As we were taught by the eminent Harrian Thane," he added.

The rest of the group agreed, and watches were set in pairs. Lenalia and Sjoberg were first, followed by Tamos and Rothrusk, with Rytahl by herself at the end of the night. Lenalia said she would be awake by then, so she could watch with Rytahl.

But the group didn't need to wait that long for something to happen. In fact, as soon as most of the Heroes had bedded down, and Lenalia and Sjoberg (along with Valkyrie, his pet wolf) were on watch, figures began to appear in the treeline!

Lenalia spotted the approaching figures first, just before her barbarian companion did the same. There was a total of 4 Goblin Warriors, armed with spears and maces, entering the camp as if no one were on watch at all. The Goblins sure were surprised to find two of the adventurers ready for battle, and others being roused.

The Elf sorceress charged forward to meet the incoming Goblins, bashing one of them to the ground with her quarterstaff in one blow.

"Impressive, Elfling," Sjoberg noted, steeling himself for melee with the others, at the same time kicking Tamos awake.

"Thanks," Lenalia replied. "I feel... stronger... somehow."

Tamos rolled to his feet, and swept the feet out from one of the Goblins bearing down on him. He followed this up with a swift kick to the midsection, effectively knocking the Goblin unconscious.

After seeing that Tamos was awake and aware, Sjoberg sent his wolf Valkyrie into melee with one of the spearmen, while he worked to rouse Rytahl, who was already half-awake due to the sounds of battle.

Valkyrie, at the behest of her master, jumped one of the Goblins, taking it to the ground and ending its threat.

At this point, one Goblin Warrior remained, and faced off against Rytahl, Sjoberg, Lenalia, and Tamos, as well as the wolf, Valkyrie. Seeing that it had no chance against such odds, the Goblin fled.

But the good news, if anything could be considered good about the ambush, was that the Heroes now had a Goblin captive, whom they could question when he awoke from his Tamos-induced slumber.

When the last Goblin was gone, and the Heroes had gathered up the equipment that had been strewn all over the camp during the short battle, Tamos kicked Rothrusk awake. Somehow, he had missed the entire combat, and despite the wolf growling, swords clanging, and cries of the wounded and slain Goblins, the aspiring Cleric had napped through it all.

"Had a good rest, brother?" Tamos asked sarcastically.

Rothrusk rubbed his eyes and looked around at the field of battle. "What did I miss?"

Ariel struggled against the ropes that bound herself and her cousin, Mirra to the pole at the center of the Goblin Encampment. Though Ariel thought herself to be emotionally tough and mentally strong, it was her lack of physical might that was the problem right now.

"You getting anywhere on your ropes?" Ariel asked her cousin.

"Nope," Mirra replied. "I think we're stuck."

"Ha! We're not going to be stuck for much longer."

"What makes you say that?" Mirra demanded.

"Just a feeling," Ariel replied. "Call it a hunch."

"I wonder why the Goblins haven't eaten us yet," Mirra wondered.

Ariel struggled some more, until she heard a pair of Goblins wandering nearby. She stopped to eavesdrop on their conversation. "Interesting," she said.

"What?" Mirra asked.

"Remember that commotion earlier?" Ariel asked. "Apparently, the camp was attacked."

"Attacked?" Mirra said. "By who?"

"No idea," Ariel answered. "But I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the reason we were brought out here."

"I was wondering about that," Mirra admitted. "Why not just leave us inside the tent if they want to keep us hidden."

"Do you have any friends back in the Keep who might be brave enough to attempt a rescue?"

Mirra thought for a moment. "The only person I really know at the Keep is Sandros, and he's too old for this sort of thing. Well, Sandros and..."

"Who?"

"Well, I have become friends with an adventurer, Rothrusk, and his allies," Mirra explained. "They have been to the Caves of Chaos of late. I wonder..."

"Someone attacked the Goblins," Ariel said. "I would prefer it to be your friends than some other competing warband."

"Do you really think the Goblins will trade us to the Ogre?" Mirra asked.

"Yes," Ariel replied. "In fact, they plan to do so in the morning. That's why I've been so eager to escape. I'm not looking forward to what that Ogre might want to do with us."

Rothrusk, Tamos, and Lenalia surrounded the captive Goblin, whose name as it turned out was Grex. The little guy was bound with rope, and several melee weapons were pointed in his direction as the Heroes questioned the Goblin Warrior.

Grex did not speak the Common Tongue, only the Goblin Language, so unfortunately, only Rothrusk could speak with him. The aspirant knelt to be face-to-face with the captive.

(The following conversation is in the Goblin Language)
"Tell us all you know about the captive girls," Rothrusk demanded. "We know you have them."

"Girls?" Grex asked. "Yes, two human girls."

"What do you want with them?" Rothrusk queried.

"Me?" Grex said. "I want nothing of them."

"No, I mean your tribe or whatever," Rothrusk clarified. "Why have you captured them?"

Grex shook his head. "They are for Ungeheuer. A gift from our Chieftain."

"So they are alive?"

"Yes," Grex replied. "They will be kept alive. Such is the will of our Chieftain."

"Very well," Rothrusk said. "When are you giving the girls to the Ogre?"

"No idea," Grex answered. "Chieftain will tell us."

"All right, how about another topic," Rothrusk said. "What are all of you doing out here so close to Merghis Keep?"

"We strike... soon!" Grex replied, smiling.

"Strike the Keep?" Rothrusk demanded.

"Oh yes," Grex said. "And we are not alone. There are other Warbands."

"Goblins?" Rothrusk asked.

"Goblins and others," Grex said. "We have many friends... well, not friends... more like they also hate the people of Merghis Keep."

"And so... why are they all gathered here?" Rothrusk asked.

Grex smiled. "To attack, of course."

(End Conversation in the Goblin Language)

Rothrusk stood. "We have a problem."

The situation was desperate, not just for the recovery of Ariel and Mirra, who were captives of the Goblin Horde, but also for stopping the Goblins' attack on Merghis Keep! The Heroes collected themselves and, after securing the captive Grex, headed back to the encampment.

The first order of business was for Tamos to find Vanidorr, to ensure that he was still alive, and to find out what he had learned from watching the camp overnight. While Tamos scurried into the trees, the rest of the Heroes bided their time, at a spot they had found about 100 feet from the edge of the encampment.

"They are weaker now," Sjoberg pointed out. "We have destroyed half their numbers."

Lenalia joined the barbarian in watching the camp. From this distance, she could see some of the activity within, but not much seemed to be going on at the moment.

"I'm sure they will be ready for us to return," the Elf maiden said. "They sent a scout party to kill us in our sleep, and they never returned."

"One of them returned," Rothrusk said. "Remember, one of those little guys escaped."

"Oh, that's true," Lenalia said. "So, they will know we're coming."

"It's a valid assumption," Rytahl said. "I don't know how smart Goblins are, but if they sent out a search party for us, and that search party never returned... it would stand to reason the Goblins know that we're coming for them."

Meanwhile, Tamos made his way to where Vanidorr had been hiding, and quickly found his ally, who had moved a few times during the night, but was still in the trees.

"Enjoying yourself up there?" Tamos asked.

"Nah," Vanidorr replied. "It's been pretty boring. Not much going on."

"We're getting ready to attack," Tamos explained. "Be prepared. We could probably use a little aerial support."

"You got it."

Plans were set into motion, and the Heroes charged into the Goblin Camp. Sjoberg, his wolf, Valkyrie, Tamos, and Rytahl formed the first line, with Rothrusk and Lenalia providing secondary missile support. Before they charged in, Rothrusk invoked a blessing on the group, explaining that this would help them in battle.

The Goblins were not unprepared at all, though it was clear that the sunlight in their eyes was displeasing to them. Already in the camp when the Heroes charged were eight Goblin footmen, armed with maces and javelins. The Goblin footmen, after throwing their javelins uselessly against the Heroes, charged to meet the front ranks.

Eight on four wasn't as unbalancing as it might sound, as the Heroes individually were equal to at least two or three of the footmen they faced. Adding the missile and magic support of Lenalia and Rothrusk, it was a fairly short exchange.

But those eight Goblin footmen were not the Heroes' only foes. After the footmen engaged in close combat, Goblin archers emerged from the tents and split into a pair of formations - one heading across the field of battle, firing as they went, and the other forming a line approximately 30 feet away from the scrum.

In addition, a pair of Goblin lieutenants, notable for the pair of shortswords they wielded, moved into position to join the melee. They also employed javelins at first, then charged in. This seemed to be a fairly common Goblin tactic. When the lieutenants had emerged from their tents and joined the combat, a pair of most unusual Goblins rounded out the defense. One, a larger Goblin wielding a double-headed axe, was easily recognizeable as the Goblin Chieftain. The other, a normal-sized Goblin with a staff wore the telltale headdress of a Goblin Shaman.

Whereas the Goblin lieutenants joined their fellows in melee combat against the bunched Heroes, the Chieftain and the Shaman stayed close to a post in the center of the camp, where Mirra and Ariel were bound captive!

While Rytahl, Sjoberg, and Valkyrie kept the Goblin footmen busy, Tamos, seeing the captive girls tied to the post in the center of camp, decided to take matters into his own hands. Without a word, he dove into the treeline, with the hope of circling around to sneak up to the captives and free them.

Tamos wasn't the only one with such ideas. After peppering the Goblins with arrows, Vanidorr saw an opportunity to free Ariel and Mirra, and clambered from tree to tree in an effort to get closer to the clearing and that part of the camp.

Vanidorr and Tamos arrived nearly at the same time at the edge of the clearing and spotted each other.

"I see you had the same idea I had," Vanidorr said.

"Free the girls?" Tamos said. "I figure we could take out the leaders at the same time."

"My only interest is to free the captives and get out of here," Vanidorr explained. "We get our gold, and everyone is happy. I don't want to risk my neck just to take out a few extra Goblins no one will miss anyway."

"They are planning to attack Merghis Keep," Tamos said. "We have to try to stop them. Taking out the leadership may be the only way to do it."

They hatched a plan to confuse the Goblins. While Tamos rounded the tents and got the attention of the Shaman and a few of the Lieutenants, Vanidorr would swoop in and free Ariel and Mirra.

The Shaman engaged Tamos, but the deft hero proved too much for the spellcaster, who though he had a few tricks up his sleeve, did not slow Tamos much. Soon, Tamos had the Shaman on the ground, and down for the count.

The Heroes' plan worked well, except for the fact that the Chieftain had ordered guards to stay close to the captives. He knew that freeing the girls was the Heroes' true objective here, so keeping them closely guarded would be key to winning the battle.

What he didn't count on was Vanidorr's ingenuity. The roguish hero jumped right in the middle of the guards, including the Chieftain himself!

"Don't mind me!" he said, dancing around the wild swings of the Goblin guards. "I won't be here long."

He somersaulted into the middle of the area, ending up right next to the very post where Mirra and Ariel were bound.

"Hi," Ariel said. "Do we know you?"

"No," Vanidorr said. "But you will... Now hold still." He drew a small knife and with one hack, severed the rope that had kept the pair of cousins bound together. "Here," he said, giving Ariel the knife. "I've got some more work to do."

The Goblin Chieftain, not at all pleased with this turn of events, charged at Vanidorr, swinging his mighty axe in the hero's direction. Vanidorr proved too quick for the Chieftain but nonetheless expedited his escaped from the area before the Chieftain had another chance to attack.

"Come now, cousin," Ariel said, deftly slicing Mirra's ropes, "I believe we have spent quiet enough time in this camp."

The girls were freed, but still surrounded by Goblin Guards. While Ariel was armed with a small knife, Mirra was totally unarmed. Tamos, seeing the situation, charged into the fray, drawing away the Goblins' attention from the cousins. Mirra broke for the treeline to the north of the camp, with one guard giving chase. Ariel tumbled past Tamos and the Guards who were engaged, and headed toward one of the tents.

"Where are you going?" Tamos asked as he fought off the remaining Guards.

"Gotta get my stuff," Ariel explained as she went. "And who are you anyway?"

Before Tamos could answer, Ariel was gone into a tent. She must have known where the Goblins had been keeping her things. A Goblin gave chase, but was surprised when Ariel emerged on the other side of the tent, a hand crossbow leveled at his head. Ariel fired, dropping the Guard in his tracks.

"Where did Mirra go?" Rothrusk asked as he bounded up into the center of the clearing. Most of the Goblins had dispersed, giving the Heroes a chance to enter the camp without much trouble.

"I'll go find her," Tamos said. "She went this way." As he went, Rothrusk followed, hoping to help in Mirra's rescue from her lone Goblin tormentor.

Before Tamos could get very far, the Goblin Chieftain emerged from behind a tent and dropped Tamos with a blow from his mighty double-headed axe. The Chieftain said something to Tamos, but not knowing the Goblin Language, all Tamos could think about was his own survival.

Tamos jumped to his feet, bleeding from the shoulder, where a huge gash would definitely need medical attention later. He kicked at the Chieftain, plunking the creature in the midsection. In response, the Chieftain dealt Tamos another serious blow, cutting him across the chest, and nearly tearing him in half. Tamos dropped, but was soon replaced.

Sjoberg, the barbarian, seeing what was happening to Tamos, joined the battle just as Tamos dropped. The Chieftain, who was oblivious to what was going on, didn't see Sjoberg until it was too late. The last thing he saw was a sharp bony protrusion sticking through his chest.

The barbarian pulled his pickaxe from the dead Chieftain. "It is done," he declared. "They are running, and will not return."

At this point, Rothrusk and Mirra emerged from the treeline. "I found Mirra," the aspirant said.

"Tamos needs your help," Lenalia said, pointing to the downed hero. "But we are pretty much done here."

Vanidorr appeared from behind one of the tents. "Let's give the camp a good search, just to be on the safe side. Especially these tents. I wonder if the Goblins have any treasure."

The Heroes gave the Goblin Encampment a very thorough search, spending the first half of the day there. They found a chest containing some coins and other valuables, including a pair of matching Elven rings. Lenalia discovered that the Chieftain and the Shaman were both in the possession of magically enchanted weapons and armor, and those would need to be studied more carefully back at the Keep.

They returned to Merghis Keep with Ariel and Mirra in tow, victorious. But the question that lingered on the minds of many was... what about the other warbands? Was there still an attack in the offing? And if so, when?

They would soon found out...

END GAME SESSION FIVE

Last edited:

threshel

First Post
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
I am full of nostagic glee. You do a good job of capturing the feel of first-time adventurers.
So, any chance of seeing that Rogue's Gallery thread?
:)
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads