The Heroes Three (Point Five): Keep on the Borderlands - Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelH

First Post
What could possibly cause your group to cancel a session? It's not like their's a major religious holiday going on...err...nevermind. ;)

Insight

Adventurer
An Offer They Can't Refuse... Part One

Wondering what was taking so long, Rocelin neared the tunnel where Vanidorr had gone to check out. This tunnel might lead to the cave of an Ogre and was thus cause for concern. The Half-Elf's ears were trained on the cave entrance, but heard little to suggest anything had happened to Vanidorr.

Rocelin crept next to a tall tree, and, using it as cover, drew his shortbow. The other Heroes knelt and found cover. Just as they were about to fear the worst, Vanidorr emerged from the foliage, unharmed and with a puzzled look on his face.

"You had us worried," Tamos declared as he stood. "Anything in there?"

Vanidorr got closer to the group before replying. As he neared, the rest gathered around their scout. "Not much so far. I didn't want to chance shining a light inside. There's a strange skull hanging from the entrance though. Doesn't seem trapped or anything, just... odd."

"This concerns me," Ariel said. "Why do you suppose there's a skull just hanging there?"

"Dunno," Vanidorr replied. "Might be nothing. I saw some writing on it. Looks like Goblin."

Lenalia shot a look toward Rothrusk. "You speak the Goblin Tongue, do you not?"

The Cleric perked up. "Why, yes I do," he replied. "I'd be happy to take a look."

Ariel smirked. "Since no one asked, I know the Goblin language as well. Perhaps I can accompany you... just in case."

Rothrusk and Ariel approached the cave entrance to examine the hanging skull, while the rest of the Heroes waited. Vanidorr continued to describe the cave entrance, which really wasn't much more than a yawning mouth. It appeared to be natural as opposed to artificial, and again, did not appear to be protected with any snares or traps.

Sjoberg petted his wolf, Valkyrie, as they waited. "This Ogre must pay for his actions. I do not much like leaving enemies alive, and this one is no exception. Who knows what he might have been doing while we've been gone?"

"We weren't exactly well-prepared to deal with him last time," Rytahl pointed out. "I seem to recall several of us unconscious and needing to be dragged out of the caves."

"Aye," Sjoberg replied. "But we have learned much since then. It is time for the final battle with this Ogre, and soon."

"I would very much like to see this Ogre slain as well," Rocelin added. "Though I barely knew him, I remember Miles the Halfling as being a kind soul, despite his petty larceny and chicanery. I know that he helped Tamos, Rothrusk, and Lenalia much when they first came to Merghis Keep. In any event, the only good Ogre is a dead one, as my father used to say."

"Your father was a wise man," Sjoberg commented.

"This is more than mere revenge," Lenalia pointed out. "This Ogre is... well, something we need to finish. I believe he is standing in the way of something more than we need to accomplish. Plus, he's a nasty creature of Evil and needs to be destroyed."

"And once we have completed this task," Rocelin added. "We shall help Ariel find her friend, and then... well, then you will see. There is an interesting end to all of this."

By then, Ariel and Rothrusk had returned from examining the skull hanging at the entrance to the cave. "It just says 'Beware'..." Ariel remarked. "Not very original."

"I say we go inside," Rothrusk added. "Doesn't sound like anyone home."

"We will go inside," Lenalia said, "But with the sneaky types in front, as usual. I'm not keen on running into this Ogre unless we know it's coming."

"Why the need for stealth?" Sjoberg asked. "Surely, the rest of us are not quiet. I have little doubt that this foul Ogre will hear us at some point. We should rush his home and surprise him."

"Well, I agree with Lenalia," Vanidorr said. "I'll head in quietly and see if he's even home."

"You're not the only sneaky one," Ariel stated. "I'll go with you."

The pair skulked into the foliage and found their way inside, this time ignoring the hanging skull. They discovered a very dark passage, and could not see except for the ten feet or so just inside the mouth. Tamos was brought to the entrance with a torch. Its light would help greatly, and he would stay at the entrance so as not to warn the Ogre of the intrusion.

"Oh, great," Vanidorr remarked. "What is this?"

He was looking at a huge boulder shoved into the passage, blocking all progress. Ariel examined it along with Vanidorr.

"There's no way around that huge rock," she said.

"I'll try to push it back some," Vanidorr said, prompting a laugh from Ariel. "What?"

"You're going to push it back?"

"Sure," Vanidorr replied. "Why not?"

"Very well," Ariel said, smirking. "Give it your best shot, tough guy."

Vanidorr took to the huge boulder, leveraging it as best he could. A few lines of dust fell from the walls on either side, but the massive rock did not budge.

"Have you started pushing yet?" Ariel asked.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Vanidorr said as he passed her on the way out of the passage.

"No luck?" Tamos asked.

"We're going to have to try another way inside," Vanidorr said. "The Ogre seems to have blocked this way in."

The Heroes gathered again in the clearing. They decided it was best to head back inside through the Goblin Caves, knowing that the Ogre could also be found through those means. It wouldn't be long before the Heroes found their quarry, but they would not like at all what they would find.

Vanidorr and Ariel headed inside, with Tamos just a few steps behind providing his torch's light to their efforts. Unlike the denizens of these caverns, Vanidorr and Ariel needed light to see, and were pretty darn useless as scouts without this light.

The Heroes were quite familiar with the interior of these caves, having been here more than once for most of the group, though Rocelin and Ariel had not been inside these particular Goblin Caves at all.

When the scouts reached the large main room where Ungeheuer had first emerged to fight them, they stopped and waited for the rest of the group.

"This is a nasty place," Ariel remarked. "I can see why they say Goblins aren't much for cleaning."

"No," Vanidorr replied. "I think our blood stains are still somewhere to be found on the floors in this chamber."

"Speaking of that," Ariel said. "One of you mentioned the Ogre coming through the walls. Could you elaborate on that?"

"I would say it's probably a secret door... must be around here somewhere," Vanidorr replied. "We should start checking the room."

By the time Vanidorr and Ariel had started checking the chamber for secret doors, the rest of the Heroes had arrived and joined in the checking. Before too long, the secret door had been found.

"Excellent," Tamos remarked. "Now what?"

"We must go inside and kill the Ogre," Sjoberg said. "What more is there to do?"

"I don't know..." Lenalia replied. "We have no way of knowing if he's even in there."

"We must all be quiet then," Rothrusk said. "And I have just the way to do it. Everyone gather around me."

"Is that truly necessary?" Lenalia asked. "I try not to stand too close to you. Bad things happen."

"Ah, but this will help all of us," Rothrusk said, grasping his holy symbol. The Cleric sat down and opened his prayer book, praising Valerias as he pored through the pages. "Here we are..."

He chanted as the Heroes wondered what was going on. There was an audible pop and then nothing... no sound at all from anyone or anything around them. Each of the Heroes tried to speak in reaction to this, but none could emit a sound.

Rothrusk smirked and stood up, dusting himself off. He pointed at the spot where the secret door had been found and motioned for Vanidorr to approached the door. Standing and going to the door, Vanidorr cautiously threw the lever that opened the secret portal, revealing a darkness beyond. Tamos joined in with his torch, giving off some light to see by.

The Heroes silently entered the secret chamber beyond and found it quite sparse. There was a smaller entry chamber, and then the actual living quarters beyond. Ariel pointed at a dark passage leading away, most likely the same passage they had found earlier, the one that was blocked with the huge boulder.

They found in the living quarters one huge straw bed, which was filthy and in disarray. Around this bed was a trio of barrels, each of which was filled with some dark, smelly liquid. They also found a chest, and inside was a quiver of 6 arrows, along with a potion and a scroll case. Vanidorr gathered up these items and put them in a sack. Sjoberg and Rytahl found some coins in burlap sacks beneath the 'bed' and these were handed to Lenalia for sake keeping.

When the Heroes were again alone in the larger chamber where they had first fought the Ogre and his Goblin allies, Rothrusk's slience prayer had ended.

"It's nice to be able to talk again," Tamos remarked.

"I only wish that the silence had lasted a bit longer," Vanidorr said. "It would have been useful to catch the Goblins and that Ogre off-guard when we find them."

"Valerias works in mysterious ways," Rothrusk replied. "If we needed to be silent to defeat them, it would be so."

Sjoberg frowned. "Less talking and more looking for the Ogre."

"I agree," Tamos said. "We can ponder the nature of the Immortals later."

The Heroes gathered themselves and sent the scouts ahead, down the passage they had not yet seen. This is where the Goblins had come from, the ones that convinced Ungeheuer to help them, and who it had been later revealed were actually the Ogre's servants. Sjoberg would very soon have his desire for battle, and it would be quite a battle indeed.

Sauliro Slaymane looked upon his minions, counting not only their numbers, but also getting a sense of their combat worthiness. The Minotaur regripped his dread Greataxe, and approached the rest of them.

Standing next to the Gnoll Shaman, Slaymane spoke. "Though we are powerful and many, Ungeheuer is not stupid. He will know we are coming. He is defending his territory and will be ready for us."

"But, Sire, did you not say this was a negotiation?" the Shaman asked.

The Minotaur laughed. "No... it will not be much of a negotiation," he said. "Ungeheuer owes me, and his debt will be repayed."

"In blood?" a Half-Orc asked. "I suppose if the Ogre does not accept your 'offer', we are to slay him?"

"If Ungeheuer refuses my kind offer," Slaymane replied, "You have my permission, Angarinax, to see to it yourself that the Ogre draws not one more breath."

"Then what of the Priest?" the Gnoll Shaman asked. "Is he not more of a threat than Ungeheuer?"

Slaymane smiled. It was a truly wicked grin as befitting such a bestial creature. "The two matters are on my mind, and I have a simple solution for both. You see, Ungeheuer will do my bidding, and then we will deal with Moltoi Azgoroth, one way or the other!"

Insight

Adventurer
I'm sorry to say this, but I won't be continuing with this Story Hour.

The main reason is that my players apparently don't understand what it takes to do this project and have very little appreciation for my time and effort in putting it together. For those of you who have been reading it, I apologize that I am unable to continue. I wish that I could, but I find myself unable to continue writing this story when its original intent has been lost.

Maybe sometime I will try another Story Hour, but I can guarantee it will not be with my current group. All I can say is that, if you write a Story Hour for your own group, I hope your players appreciate your time and effort and understand why you're doing it. Mine sure didn't, and it sure sucks to be unappreciated.

Good luck all.

Hi Insight,

Another lurker popping in to convey some measure of disappointment. I'm sure there's a stack of people on these boards that will be saddened by your decision. You seem to put a lot of good and hard effort into your writing so... I don't know... don't give up. I've been trying to pimp my own story hour recently but on this solemn occasion, I can imagine you would frankly be sick of story hours so sorry to say: no pimp.

However, there are two things that I have learnt while trying to write a story hour here at enworld that may be of some value to you.

Firstly, the best piece of advice I was given is to write for yourself. Don't write expecting accolades or appreciation. Write something so that in a couple of days time, you can read it once more and get a laugh or a feeling of being taken back into the world you created. In essence, enjoy what you write and forget about any audience aside from yourself.

However, secondly (and not trying to counter my first point), there is nothing quite like the buzz of having someone new write on your thread or to see that for some reason, your post count just went up by fifty on the last update. Cherish it when it happens; and it will happen for you when you perhaps start up another story hour. All I can say is that I'll be looking out for it and damn it, I'll be the first to sit down, grab some popcorn and tell you that its good to have you back!

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Insight

Adventurer
If these characters weren't inextricably tied to players who have shown me very little appreciation for my efforts, I would probably continue with the Story Hour. For now, I just can't bring myself to continue with this story. That doesn't mean I won't start another one; it's nice to know I have fans :D

I'll take the weekend to think over whether or not to start a new one, which will likely be a lot different, but hopefully still fun to read. I believe that, as a writer, you need to write every day. This Story Hour was a tool to do that, and gave me a project that forced me to write every day (or just about every day). With this recent letdown, it's demoralizing, but doesn't deter me from my goal of writing every day. Now I'll just be writing something else every day!

I hope that when I do start a new project, those of you who have enjoyed my work will continue to read.

Thanks!

resscane

Explorer
wow

Insight, I just wanted to say that I come to work and before even firing up my trading system, I log on to see if anybody has updated their story hours. As of late, yours has been one of the best and more importantly, timely stories that I follow. Thanks for posting as much as you did and hope to see your name in the story hour soon.

Insight

Adventurer
With this much support from my readership, I'm fairly certain I'll be returning to the Story Hour scene very soon. I just wish my own players had been as supportive as you guys.

jadedsea

First Post
Wait a second

I'm Rytahl's player from the game this was "based" on.

Now, before you all start shooting fireballs at me, I have to explain something. As one of the players who didn't appreciate the efforts it took to write this story, I felt the need to respond.

The reason we asked you to stop, the reason we weren't "supportive" as you say, was because we were under the impression this was supposed to be relating what happened to our characters every week. Not only did you take a great deal of liberty with our characters, but you also tended to add and delete things that did not or did happen on Thursday night's game.

If you want to write a story, DO IT, but don't try and and take our characters and write for them as if they're your own. We all took a great deal of time and effort to create our characters, their backstories, and personalities, and even during game it was clear you disregarded some of the stuff we were telling you.

I'll hush now, but it sounded so bloody self rightous I had to respond. And yes, I know I can't spell worth anything.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Just to be clear, NO ONE tells me if I can write a story or not. I CHOSE not to continue writing this one due to the problems it was apparently causing within the group. There's little reason for me to continue working on something that's causing people to feel bad about their characters. I can't force the rest of you to share my vision for this project, and that's OK. Sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure no one else on this board cares why I've ended the story prematurely, and I have no interest in boring them with the details.

I think perhaps the miscommunication was that I didn't look at the Story Hour as a journalistic project, and thus, I felt little need to completely match everything up with what happened in the game. I was writing a story after all, and not some boring report on who killed what. I kept the story as close as I could where I could, and filled in the rest with character development and other touches. If I had recounted exactly what transpired, I doubt very many people would be interested. Not to mention that my memory isn't that good.

But I will have another Story Hour, because it's obvious that some people liked this one. It's too bad that it ended before I could finish telling the story, but again, I see no sense in continuing to bang my head against the wall for this particular project. I guess if it was hurting your character, then I guess I probably shouldn't finish it. Which is too bad, but oh well. I can always move on to another project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads