The Historical Importance of Ron Edwards' Sorcerer [+]

niklinna

satisfied?
I remember saying the same about Apocalypse World on Twitter. Vincent Baker approved. Sure it's stylistically abrasive, but it felt like everyone who read it went out and made their own RPG.
I remember being delightedly shocked by the in-your-face naughtywordness of Apocalypse World, but annoyed by the casual dropping of new terms without defining them—not even elsewhere in the book! Worse, the terms were just names plugged into a snowclone template that was itself never explained. Oh, sure, we all know what that is now, but at the time it felt like Vincent was just being a snot. That snowclone model sure had viral memetic legs, though.

Anyhow this is an aside. Back to Sorcerer!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I thought it was very clever and creative and inspirational and atmospheric when I read it and it inspired me to write some very bad short fiction. ;) Talking from the 5e perspective, was that where the X-Card, session 0, etc. started? Were the themes, paths, quests, etc. also inspired by Burning Wheel? (Do we have any of the designers talking about this stuff on the record?)

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I thought it was very clever and creative and inspirational and atmospheric when I read it and it inspired me to write some very bad short fiction. ;) Talking from the 5e perspective, was that where the X-Card, session 0, etc. started? Were the themes, paths, quests, etc. also inspired by Burning Wheel? (Do we have any of the designers talking about this stuff on the record?)
The X-Card was a standalone product that came much later, but Sorcerer did introduce Lines and Veils (which are referenced in Pathfinder Second Edition) in Sex and Sorcery. As far as I am aware Lines and Veils were the first treatment of emotional safety techniques in a role-playing text.

Sorcerer wasn't the game that coined Session Zero, but it was the first game I am aware of that said setting up the game was something the whole group should be involved with.

Organizing a Game said:
Setting it all up

The whole play group should get involved. Set aside the time and enjoy the chance to talk about the game you’ll play. Get people thinking about their characters, and it’s perfectly OK if players know something about each others’ characters before starting. Some of the Kickers can be rewritten to reflect overlapping character histories. And if someone starts shouting, arguing, or otherwise being a pill at this point, you might as well find out now.

Because the actual stories told by Sorcerer are so individualized, the game benefits if everyone knows what kind of story is being developed. The GM should take time to stew over the characters and compare them to his or her notions of what the game’s about. Look at the characters’ demons and their Binding rolls to decide how to role-play them. Also, the GM should not feel afraid to reject a player-character or to demand modifications.

How many players? Each character comes equipped with a ready-made NPC, the demon, who will be an active participant in every scene. Coordinating all the sorcerers, all the demons, and all the other NPCs in a fight scene can be very challenging. Of course, it’s up to individual GMs, but four players or less is a good start. I prefer three at most.

This is pretty good stuff for its time, but a little raw. Some of the language used is a little too forceful for my tastes, but for its time it describes a very collaborative process, including working with players to work out what Humanity looks like, what their demons are like and the NPC diagram built around their characters.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I don't want to get overly spicy in a + thread, but the writing in Sorcerer is too conversational for my tastes. It feels like you're getting the rationale and backstory for every single element, and that (to me) self-indulgence and "let me tell you about my campaign" quality veers into parody with the annotated text. Like, the original text is already annotating itself at every turn. Adding director's commentary to your director's commentary is too much for me—shades of The Rehearsal without the irony.

Then again, I only read it a year or so ago. At the time Edwards wrote it there were lots of valid reasons to present a game like a manifesto. I just kinda wish there was a 50-page version now that cut to the chase and didn't constantly explain itself. If I had to use the book at the table I'd tear my hair out.

It's definitely not a very polished product. It's Ron's first work and was originally shared as a text document over Usenet. It's pretty much the equivalent of a hiphop demo tape. Raw, unpolished, but with a lot of promise.

The Play Sorcerer blog by Christopher Kubasik (lead designer of TORG and Earthdawn) really helped me to refine my understanding of the game.

I do agree a more polished text with an actual editor would be really useful. The supplements are much more polished though still pretty conversational. I do kind of like that, but I'm also a fan of the way Apocalypse World is written.

Last edited:

niklinna

satisfied?
The Play Sorcerer blog by Christopher Kubasik (lead designer of TORG and Earthdawn) really helped me to refine my understanding of the game.

I rolled back to the beginning of that blog, and I suspect from the opening post that this is gonna be a heck of a read.

I joined The Forge about the time HeroWars came out (2001-2ish) specifically to find guidance on how it all worked. The publisher sub-forums were among the most active, so Sorcerer was a game I'd read a lot about before I ever owned a copy. The discussions at the time on kickers and bangs was extremely influential for me. Also the prepping of relationship maps.

Bangs haven't been discussed here yet, but are a big deal in Sorcerer - which is to say there's a super-interesting idea of playing characters with multiple wants and putting them into conflict with each other to see what happens. That really spoke to me and informed a lot of my play. I'm sure it informed AWs 'build pc npc triangles' advice.

Last edited:

I'd also say that if you read Vincent's advice 'there are no status quos in Apocalypse World' you can easily look back and see how it was Sorcerer that was a solid example of embedding that in a game.

I don't have the rulebook to hand and I can't discuss the rules text in isolation because RE was, in that era, a constant stream of Sorcerer actual play examples. I mean he'd be running games with his friends and be posting detailed actual play commentaries of the questions he asked and the answers he got to create characters, and demons, and then describing his own processes for turning that into relationship maps, ideas and framing for bangs, and so on.

So I was lucky to absorb some techniques and ideas which helped enormously, both with HeroWars and later when I bought and played Sorcerer.

Last edited:

I'd also say that if you read Vincent's advice 'there are no status quos in Apocalypse World' you can easily look back and see how it was Sorcerer that was a solid example of embedding that in a game.

I don't have the rulebook to hand and I can't discuss the rules text in isolation because RE was, in that era, a constant stream of Sorcerer actual play examples. I mean he'd be running games with his friends and be posting detailed actual play commentaries of the questions he asked and the answers he got to create characters, and demons, and then describing his own processes for turning that into relationship maps, ideas and framing for bangs, and so on.

So I was lucky to absorb some techniques and ideas which helped enormously, both with HeroWars and later when I bought and played Sorcerer.

We were talking about this, so I figured I'd post something quickly. If you look at Apocalypse World's collection of the below (among other things...but these specifically), you can see the DNA of Sorcerer Bangs:

Look through crosshairs

Ask provocative questions and build on the answers

Be a fan of the players’ characters

* Everything is a target.

* There are no status quos.

* Care about what the players care about...through their PCs...by aggressively attacking it via premise-relevant, provocative, aggressive situation-framing.

Relevant Sorcerer Text:

Bangs are those moments when the characters realize they have a problem right now and have to get moving to deal with it. It can be as simple as a hellacious demon crashing through the skylight and attacking the characters, or as subtle as the voice of the long-dead murder victim answering when they call the phone number they found in the new murder victim’s pockets.

In order to get to the Bangs if the players are being dense, or if the gm is letting them flounder around, the gm should begin to ask leading questions.

Remove ads