D&D General The Importance of Page 33

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, as much as I complain about FR's silliness and resetting the world every other year there have been a couple of apocalyptic level events in the world's history. I also do have major areas mapped out based on something I doodled back in high school with colored pencils.

My campaign world is a pretty dangerous place. Not only does that mean that towns and small cities occasionally get destroyed (it's rare, but it adds up) but people would be incredibly paranoid about someone walking around of a race that was never seen before. So I could see there being dragonborn on another continent, but if it got shipwrecked on shore it would likely be mistaken for a half-dragon created by the would-be dragon emperor and shot on sight. A horrible thing to do, but I think it would also be realistic.

That and all those orcs, hill giants and other monsters need somewhere to live.
Yeah I'm sure we've argued before about how "realistic" it is for people to kill something like a dragonborn on sight because there are monsters out there. Probably best not to dig into that again here.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Isnt Mystare already the setting with the full range of possible furries? Cat-people on the moon? Full on fire arms next to medieval knight? Empire of greatly differing technological powers? Skyship or Gnome magi-tech flying city? Flamingo elves? And even worse: an 'hollow' at the center of the planet to house engendered species!

I'm a big fan of the setting class restrictions per race, they kinda are well explained in the setting. But...for restricting existing race? Nha, the setting already houses a ridiculous number of crazy gonzo races. Adding a dragongorn who emerged from the Hollow world or a warforged made by the gnomes does not seems far-fetched next to half of the actual races the setting already has :p

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Mystara definitely has a lot of options and you could put some of the newer races in the less explored continents for sure, but considering all of the currently available options in Mystara, I do wonder if a player that can't find something that they'd like to play with the available races just isn't looking hard enough. If the rest of the group bought into a Mystara campaign but one player wants to play something that isn't in the setting then I think the issue is with the player not the DM and the setting. I'd recommend to that player that they save whatever race/class combo they have for a later campaign and instead look at the plethora of options available in Mystara.

Dire Bare

Legend
Isnt Mystare already the setting with the full range of possible furries? Cat-people on the moon? Full on fire arms next to medieval knight? Empire of greatly differing technological powers? Skyship or Gnome magi-tech flying city? Flamingo elves? And even worse: an 'hollow' at the center of the planet to house engendered species!

I'm a big fan of the setting class restrictions per race, they kinda are well explained in the setting. But...for restricting existing race? Nha, the setting already houses a ridiculous number of crazy gonzo races. Adding a dragongorn who emerged from the Hollow world or a warforged made by the gnomes does not seems far-fetched next to half of the actual races the setting already has :p

Flamenco Elves . . . elves based on a stereotype of Spanish, flamenco culture. Flamingos are a type of bird.

But now, I totally want to write up an avariel (winged elves) variant based on the flamingo . . . .

1593380545069.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Mystara definitely has a lot of options and you could put some of the newer races in the less explored continents for sure, but considering all of the currently available options in Mystara, I do wonder if a player that can't find something that they'd like to play with the available races just isn't looking hard enough. If the rest of the group bought into a Mystara campaign but one player wants to play something that isn't in the setting then I think the issue is with the player not the DM and the setting. I'd recommend to that player that they save whatever race/class combo they have for a later campaign and instead look at the plethora of options available in Mystara.

Honestly, if you are running a 5E campaign . . . . the dragonborn has stats ready to go. Some of the many, weird variety of Mystara races do not, outside of somebody's homebrew you dig up on the internet (which is okay).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Honestly, if you are running a 5E campaign . . . . the dragonborn has stats ready to go. Some of the many, weird variety of Mystara races do not, outside of somebody's homebrew you dig up on the internet (which is okay).
Well yeah, if I'm playing in Mystara then I'll have the Mystaran races ready to go. I'm not just going to say you can play X race and if you choose it we will then create the stats for it, I'll be prepared with the stats.

jasper

Rotten DM
@doctorbadwolf ..I definitely wouldn’t want to play with a DM who views any compromise on their precious campaign vision to be bad gaming. ....
Every time I have compromise on something I really DIDN'T want. I got the short end of the stick. KEY WORDS "DIDN'T WANT". Those players became bad players. Skipping sessions after saying they be there. Wanting MORE and MORE changes. ETC. So If you don't want to compromise on your special PC vision, don't. I see you at bad movie night and see when you when you GM.
insert evil grin. Now have you made a decision on my super logical elf who has a magical martial weapon which requires save vs death or turn to ash. Oh my message stone allows me to call for a group teleport once an hour. insert evil grin.

Orius

Legend

I'd imagine Pandius has the stuff covered somewhere.

Rdm

Explorer
@doctorbadwolf ..I definitely wouldn’t want to play with a DM who views any compromise on their precious campaign vision to be bad gaming. ....
Every time I have compromise on something I really DIDN'T want. I got the short end of the stick. KEY WORDS "DIDN'T WANT". Those players became bad players. Skipping sessions after saying they be there. Wanting MORE and MORE changes. ETC. So If you don't want to compromise on your special PC vision, don't. I see you at bad movie night and see when you when you GM.
insert evil grin. Now have you made a decision on my super logical elf who has a magical martial weapon which requires save vs death or turn to ash. Oh my message stone allows me to call for a group teleport once an hour. insert evil grin.
Conversely, I’m not sure if I’d want to play with someone who couldn’t possibly just pick something from the nearly infinite possibilities that are available in a campaign and just has to play something which isn’t or they can’t have fun.

Remove ads