The Invasion of Baskrant (northbound) Judges: N/A, DM: Cute-Hydra

salt3d

First Post
Len looks at the shadar-kai and his whirling chains. He's quick, thinks Len as he loads another bolt, better do somethin' about that. Taking careful aim squarely at the knee of the shadar-kai, he shoots. Before the bolt has reached its target, Len takes off towards the bow of the ship, dropping to his side and sliding to a stop with the mast between him and his opponent.

OOC: Minor action reload crossbow.
Unbalancing Shot, +8 vs AC, 2d10+4 damage
To-hit: 28 Dex vs AC (1d20+8=28)
Damage: Critical hit = 24 (target is slowed until EONT)
Move to D4.
Use Cunning Sneak class feature to become hidden vs chain guy: 17 Stealth (1d20+11=17) vs passive perception.

EDIT: @Donutboy we're all acting at the same time so you don't have to worry about initiative when it's our turn.

EDIT 2: Just realised I was giving myself +5 to damage when I only have +4 modifier. Ack! Fixed now.

Last edited:

Darksteed

First Post
[sblock=Donutboy]Yeah Salt3d said it right. Initiative and player turns generally work differently in play by posts. Generally a DM and players will roll there init up. The DM using the "Bad Guys" Average init (or sometimes highest init) depending on the DM at hand. The players that roll higher then the "Bad Guys" go. Then the "Bad Guys" go, Then All the PCs go together. It doesn't matter the order the platers post in. This now makes "blocks" of PC then NPCs. Back and forth. This also takes the long waits of waiting for specific players going before you. Play by posts is slow enough. Waiting to post in exact order of init would be painful. The only thing that you need to be aware of is the posts of "Bad Guys" and players before your post as there actions take place before yours.

Hopefully this helps you out.[/sblock]

[sblock=Players]I'd like to help out the DM a bit here. Would everyone make sure they post what they are doing clearly, as well as post the effects of there actions. This makes it so the DM doesn't need to look up character sheets and powers.

Another thing that helps out DMs run more smoothly is a mini stat block attached to the bottom of each post your character makes during combat turns. Just have one ready in a notepad or word file and copy/paste it. Really easy to use. Something as simple as this...

sblock=Hunzu]Hunzu- Male Shardmind Enchanter 1
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 17

AC:14, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:14

Speed:6

HP:24/24, Temp HP:
Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8

Powers-
Light
Mage Hand
Beguiling Strands
Hypnotism
Magic Missile

Action Point [ ]
Charm of Misplaced Wrath [ ]
Second Wind [ ]
Shard Swarm [ ]
Suggestion [ ]

Wizard’s Fury [ ][/sblock

...Will do. This is updated with each of your PCs actions taken. Removing hit points when damage is taken and removing healing surges when your PC uses one. This not only helps the DM run more smoothly as he can tell what powers you have used and haven't used. He can easily tell your current hit points and defense values as well without having to hunt down character sheets. Though if he needs to hunt down your full sheet you have provided a link to that as well in your mini stats. This also helps out our leaders and other players as well being able to easily tell how everyone is doing in the battle currently. If they need healing, if they're blooded, or just need a free saving throw to shrug off that annoying blindness effect.

You can use strikeout instead of an X box for your powers if you like as well. Lots of people uses different means to track there used powers. So long as it's clear and understandable easily.

Sorry to step in again. Just trying to help things run more smoothly. Making this more of an enjoyment and less of a chore.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Just need to wait on the DM for Stone's action to resolve before I can take Hunzu's action. If he's toppled over into the water, I don't really have a target. Heh. But if that's the case then I don't really need to worry this round about the chainfighter neither.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Sasahara

First Post
OOC: Thanks for the adice, Darksteed! This is my first PbP game in about 12 years, so it's great to have the suggestions. I've put together a stat block (although I haven't linked it to the full character) that I'll start including when I'm at home. When I post from work it will be absent :)

[sblock=Esraethan]Esraethan- Male Tiefling Warlock 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16

AC:14, Fort:12, Reflex:13, Will:15

Speed:6

HP:28/28, Temp HP:
Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:8/8

Powers-
Eldritch Blast
Star Pact
Prime Shot
Shadow Walk
Warlock's Curse
Bloodhunt
Infernal Wrath
Action Point [ ]
Dreadful Word [X]
Second Wind [ ]
Armor of Agathys [ ][/sblock]

Fyrm

First Post
OOC: Sorry about the mini stats, I really need to remember these things. Anyway, after reviewing everyone's actions, it looks like my best move would also depend on if the chain wielder is still in play, so I'll also be waiting for the clarification.

Fyrm

First Post
As Meecurial watches his friend fall, he let's out a long sigh. Agian Sound? Oh well, you know te drill. You must really likethis stuff, huh. He then pulls out a vial of glowing liquid, and tosses it at Sound of Stone, and shape-changes into a Warforged.
OOC: Actions:
Minor: healing infusion(currative admixture) on Sound of Stone, allowing him to regain hit points as if he had spent a healing surge+2.
Standard: convert to minor: changeling disguise(Warforged).

[sblock=mini-stats] Mercurial- Changeling Artificer
Initiative:+1 Passive Perception:18Passive Insight:15
AC:18 Fort:13 Ref:16 Will:15 HP:16/24 Bloodied:12 Surge Value:6 Surges:7/7 Speed:6 Action Points:1
Powers Used: Healing infusion
Powers Unused: Changeling Trick, Healing Infusion, Shielding Cube, swift mender, warmage's cloak, Obedient Servant [/sblock]

Darksteed

First Post
OOC: This is getting chaotic. Hydra myself and Mercurial were waiting on your reply to do our actions. It wasn't the Chainfighters turn to go yet. Or are you just skipping the two of us?

Sound of Stone 29 HP
First 4 attack flurry 26 damage (3 HP)
Second 5 attack flurry 20 damage (-17 HP)

Which would kill Sound if myself and Mercurial didn't get an action last turn.

Cute-Hydra

First Post
[sblock] Sorry, completely missed the second half of the paragraph with the questions in. Yes, the chainfighter is in play. He skidded across against the railings of the boat, so to A6. And somehow I got sounds health wrong too..

Have your turn, with my compliments.. bare with me, It will get better...

Deleted my post, will continue afterwards..

[/sblock]

rb780nm

First Post
OOC: the chain master's first attack hit Sapo, not sound of stone, according to the post DM made. If Sound of Stone is at 3hp then my actions would probably have been different.

Cute-Hydra

First Post
OOC: due to the confusion made through a lack of clarity, I am going to end this encounter prematurely. The heroes defeat the chainmaster. It is a lot fairer than everyone thinking they would have done something different. I will resolve to avoid the mistakes again in the next encounter.

As the chainmaster falls to the ground from the heroes strikes a pause brakes from the furious minute of fighting. The team stand alone on two boats, Baskrant in the distance looks to be a sandy beach.. people scattered around as dots in the distance.

Remove ads