• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Invasion of Mori OOC [3.5][planar][PAUSED]

Ryfte

First Post
Hello all...

Putting up Bloodeater, a legendary swordsage of the shadow hand discipline spellstitched bone dark goblin created by a Dread Necromancer steeped very heavily in the necromantic arts to assist in the complete takover of the world. ;)

The in development version is up in the RG now right here: Bloodeater

Toptomcat

First Post
Bloodeater, a legendary swordsage of the shadow hand discipline spellstitched bone dark goblin created by a Dread Necromancer steeped very heavily in the necromantic arts to assist in the complete takover of the world.
You missed a grand opportunity for maniacal laughter somewhere in there.

moritheil

First Post
:\ Guilty as charged. It's not that I totally dropped this, but I only checked the RP thread and didn't log my account in. This is due to a dramatic schedule change in RL (new job), but I hope to get into the groove of things soon.

If it makes you feel any better, we haven't even covered 1/10th of the plots and potential fights I had written up months ago, so my inability to post is not due to a lack of material!

Slaadi and all manner of outsiders are totally acceptable at book ECL (LA + racial HD.) Until I get more time, the ECLs I have quoted on the first page of this thread and the book ECLs are all the options you have - but hey, that's a lot of options!

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Fenris2 said:
Yeah its a pretty neat Prc, one of the better mage ones if you want a warrior mage type.

One question, I left an alternate spell like ability listed for Drax's dread warrior 6th SP from spell stitched goodies. I am not sure how you feel about unlimited (ore or less) intelligent undead creation but given SP removes material componets for whcih XP is listed... Might want to take a peak. For quick reference you can catch the spell in unapprochable east, and maybe elsewhere.

Whoops, looks like I missed this earlier. XP is a component, but not a material component. IIRC Spellstitched undead still pay any and all XP costs (or they can't use their Sp ability if they can't pay the cost because doing so would make them drop a level.) As such, I don't mind if you take the spell as long as you pay the XP cost.

Ryft - Is Gloom Razor a combat style from Nine Swords? What you have listed is enough detail; I just want to be sure I understand it.

Slave of the Scythe - Welcome. I see that the others seem to have answered your questions very nicely. Post more if you have them.

Toptomcat - I have questions about "and the monk's belt to strike for double damage as a Gargantuan monk of 22nd level." It's not clicking in my head when I read that phrase over.

Thanks for helping each other out, everyone! All waiting characters are hereby provisionally approved for play with the understanding that when I am less busy I will go back over fine details. ;)

Toptomcat

First Post
moritheil said:
Toptomcat - I have questions about "and the monk's belt to strike for double damage as a Gargantuan monk of 22nd level." It's not clicking in my head when I read that phrase over.
Well, good, because it isn't right. When I reread the rules on maneuver level and the Martial Stance/Study feats, it turned out I couldn't do what I was doing. Here's everything that applies to the revised version's unarmed strikes:

The Improved Natural Attack feat, from the Monster Manual, increases the effective size category of a creature by one for the purposes of one natural attack. Per the description of the monk unarmed strike in the PHB, it qualifies. (Large monk, 14th level.)
The Superior Unarmed Strike feat, from the Book of Nine Swords, increases a monk's effective level by four for the purposes of their unarmed strike damage. (Large monk, 18th level)
The battlefist warforged component, from the Eberron Campaign Setting, also increases a warforged monk's effective size category by one for the purposes of dealing unarmed damage. (Huge monk, 18th level.) It can also be enchanted like a normal weapon.
The Decisive Strike alternative monk class feature, from the PHB II, replaces the Flurry of Blows, and allows a monk to deal double damage on a full attack if they restrict themselves to two attacks per round, neither of which can be made on the same opponent. (Huge monk, 18th level, double damage, twice a round.)
The Hammer Fist feat, from Dragon #279 and reprinted in the Draqon Compendium, allows 1.5x Strength modifier to damage on a full attack if the user restricts themself to one attack, full stop. (Huge monk, 18th level, double damage, 1.5x Strength, once a round.)
The Fists of Iron feat, from Complete Warrior, adds +1d6 damage to an unarmed strike (3 + Wis modifier) times per day. (Huge monk, 18th level, double damage, 1.5x Strength, +1d6 sometimes, once a round.)
The Improved Critical (unarmed strike) feat, from the Player's Handbook, does what you're doubtlessly familiar with it doing. (Huge monk, 18th level, double damage, 1.5x Strength, doubled crit range, +1d6 sometimes, once a round.
Finally, the Monk's Belt, from the Dungeon Master's Guide, increases a monk's effective level for the purposes of unarmed strike damage by five. (Huge monk, 23rd level [effectively 20th since there's no epic progression], double damage, 1.5x Strength, doubled crit range, +1d6 sometimes, once a round.)

All very synergistic, but not actually broken in a 14th level Abyss campaign. A well-built babau or Power Attacking barbarian variant could still outdamage me.

(Additionally, do consecutive Manuals of Gainful Exercise +1 stack, up to +5 total? That's what Slave of the Scythe did with his character, and if it does work I may have to reconfigure my item loadout to net me a few of them as well.)

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Consecutive +1 manuals do not stack, they overlap. I didn't catch that earlier. Thanks. There's a reason the higher manuals cost more.

Slave of the Scythe, please pay the difference or lose the bonuses and redistribute your funds.

Toptomcat, I view monk INA as dubious legally by RAW, but I've never thought it was a balance problem, so I'll save us both some time and let you have it. :p

Remove ads