The Irregulars of Hollowfaust

enrious

<Stan Lee> What's this, True Believers? Two paladins sneaking out of a bar for a midnight tryst? </Stan Lee>

Hmm....I seem to remember an old method of summoning Nightfall.

Nightfall. Nightfall. Nightfall.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
enrious said:
<Stan Lee> What's this, True Believers? Two paladins sneaking out of a bar for a midnight tryst? </Stan Lee>

Hmm....I seem to remember an old method of summoning Nightfall.

Nightfall. Nightfall. Nightfall.

I know one better method:

Scarred Lands

Scarred Lands!

Scarred Lands!

enrious

Yeah, the Scarred Lands is easily the worst campaign setting I've ever seen. Compared to the Forgotten Realms, it should be called the Scared Lands. I mean, there's only 8 major dieties in there, not to mention Titans. The 'Realms has over a hundred, so it's better.

The Scared Lands also have talking, humanoid rats as a race. I mean really, who doesn't know that it's a shallow homage to Splinter from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Very amateurish.

And don't get me started on Hollowfaust. A city of necromancers? With living subjects? Sanitation was bad enough in ancient cities, who wants to have a zombie cooking for you? Could have been better.

(My character is soooo dead. :) )

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Silas and Ophelia

Path way to Darkness Lit Part 1

Silas walked calmly besides Ophelia who was keeping the horse at a slow walk. The street to Drovers Plaza was busily being worked as hawkers and a few small makeshift stalls called out.

"Eye of Newt, fresh eye of Newt, good for all spells!" Cried out one man, who was obviously trying to garner some money from a simpleton spellcaster or two.

"Finest tools you'll not find anywhere south of Trum! Fine worked steel here!" cried a young lad who was probably hawking some stolen goods. The guards that had been walking the beat along here had already heard and were on their way to shut him down.

Silas sighed to himself and could only hope that the day would be better spent finding out the Lady of Mercy's will. He already spent much of the time dealing with that annoying half elf, Varl. Ban, while cheerful, seemed to be at least willing to deal with threats that Silas knew must be dealt with. He did feel a slight twinge in him as he thought over this. This place, surrounded by filthy undead. Still it's not my place to judge their laws. If the Redeemer saw fit to allow them to be spared, then he was in no position to argue otherwise.

Then came the noises. More people, apparently caravans from all over western Ghelspad. Here some tribal barbarians from the frigid northlands of Albadia stood shoulder to shoulder with guardsmen from the nine lands of Darakeene. Along side them walked some would be adventures, a dwarf with a great axe chiding his friend, the half elf about some remark. Also he could make a bosterious arguement between to people

"And I say the Abyss with the Calastians! They've only looked after one peoples, themselves." Silas could see a Hollowfaustian older man standing on his porch discussing with some heat at a man, obviously a Calastian patroit or at least admirer of them wearing the symbol of the Slaver as well as handing out leaflets.

"Aye, but you can't deny that they are far safer than some places."

"So it is here! Now be off, or I'll have the Blackshields take you in for disturbing the peace."

Over it all though he could make out the sounds of children laughing and playing. Over to his left side, he saw why the guards said the shrine would be easy to find. In a place where the timbers were dark, and thus drew in the warmth of the Urkudran sun, the shrine was of gray, nearly white marble, with three tall pillars carved the sigil of the Lady. Over the archway, her sign was prominently displayed along with the sun. The marble stairs held a slightly odd sight, for one used to seeing many people come to chapels and temples for prayers and healing. There were four figures, two of them obviously children, both were playing with a ball in the bright sun, while the other two people "Perhaps their parents" thought Silas, a woman dressed in a clerical habit and a tall grim looking fellow with dark hair and even darker looking eyes.

As they got closer to this scene, the children, heedless of their approach, tossed a ball in their direction. The ball rolled, and Silas stopped it with the toe of his boot. He reached down and picked the ball. A small girl, probably no more than 6 or 8 winters old, stood slightly gawking at him. Her left hand played with her straight hair. She was obvious a little uncomfortable, slightly nervous but also in awe of the man dressed in full plate, with the symbol of the Redeemer hanging from around his neck.

"Here you are." he said, not exactly gruff but by no means endearing, as he handed her the ball.

"Thknk you sir." The girl seemed nice enough, if a bit shy.

"You're welcome." Silas then turned to the twosome that had come upon them.

"Greetings and the Lady's Blessing on you both. I am Helvara Tarn, head priestess of this shrine and this" she nodded, indicating the man next to her, "is my bodyguard and fellow follower of the Redeemer, Uther Kortas."

The dour looking man merely nodded to both. Ophelia was the first to make introductions, being the more social of the two them.

"I am Ophelia Natali Caliira, cleric from Angelsgate in Durrover, and this is my companion, Silas, paladin of the Redeemer."

"Blessings on you both then. I'm glad that the Order was kind enough to send you both. I was beginning to wonder if you would make it. Please, if you would follow Uther and myself, we'll take inside for privacy sake."

Silas wasn't sure what that meant, his vision had little to with some "Order" but he decided that it was best to follow. Questions would come later. Ophelia smiled.

"Of course. Just let me dismount and we will follow you in"

Uther spot his voice was like a scrapping of metal over stone. "You can tie your horse just over there, Sister." He pointed to a small stand of horses that were gathered near the shrine.

Opheila then took her horse over, as the others waited for her. They then went inside, Helvara in the lead with Uther close behind her, as Ophelia and Silas followed suit.

"If I may be so bold, Priestess, "asked Ophelia, "I was wondering why anyone would need protection in this city. Is it dangerous?"

Helvara smiled "Nay, not more than some. And please no need for formality here. I'm simply Helvara. Hollowfaust is a very lawful city. It's just that now there's been some…problems between the Sovereign Council and our shrine here."

Helvara paused, as she grew a little quiet while Uther seemed to grow very irate for some reason, giving an even dourer look if that was possible. Helvara resumed.

"I'll explain that in a minute. There have also been some strange occurrences, which have resulted in the death of a couple citizens. Fortunately the guards here are quick to deal with troublemakers, but unfortunately this might be a bit out of their league."

"I see" Silas said. "I hope all will be made clear then as to why we were summoned. I heed the Lady's call of course, but I prefer to know why."

And more will be revealed soon, as the pages turn soon to this tale, as the pathways of death and the dead will reveal a secret long buried and things most foul indeed. Fouler than death...and yet fouler than the stench of dying.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I knew that my Summon Nightall would work!

Let's try it again:

By the power of the Scarred Lands

From the burned ashes of Hollowfaust

In the blasted land soiled by the Titans

I call for the Prophet

Come to me, Nightfall

Come to me!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*operator's voice rings out*

We're sorry. The number you called is not in service at this time. Please check the number again. If you need help please contact your operator for assistance.

Remove ads