The Journey To...North America, Part Two

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

I spoke to a friend of mine and her words still resonate with me. I asked Susan what she might want in terms of how her people are portrayed in role playing. She replied that she would not want her people's traditions taken for granted. Sacred is sacred. In struggling to find a theme for this article, her words helped me focus in on what is important. So I will begin, before talking about the people, with my "How would I use this?" section.

It is not hard for those of us descended from European, especially Western European ancestry, to relate to the sacred. Stonehenge comes to mind. Beowulf and the legend of Arthur. Joan of Arc. The stand at Thermopylae. Rome at its best and at its worst. A host of cultural touchstones that help give us some common context and cultural language. They literally are sprinkled through our role playing; ideas from history and mythology that fuel how we play.

So if I were going to run a campaign among the North American native tribes, prior to European arrival, it would be heavily focused on those ideas that they found and still find as sacred. It would be an intimate campaign, with no Vecna or dragons or Sauron. Perhaps a band of folk who have suffered loss who wander from place to place, helping others and battling legends. The magic would be subtle and beautiful and full of mystery. It would deal with the idea of what is sacred and how the sacred shapes the lives of the characters. Of course this can be taken into science fiction as well and Shadowrun does some of this with its setting.

What is sacred to the native tribes of North America? A best we can generalize because there are over 500 recognized tribes in the United States, including many in Alaska. Susan mentioned a few things: The Dance, The Ceremony, The Animals, and of course The Land itself. In our modern times issues of land ownership and management have come up again as natural resources are found on tribal lands. To the native peoples, land is more than just a means of making a living or a sign of prosperity. It represents a means of preserving cultural history and identity. Indigenous folk see themselves as protectors of the land and everything associated with it. Equally important are the spiritual and religious aspects of the land and specifically sacred spaces. These sacred places are integral to the tribes spiritual practices and when the land is disrespected, this insults the people and their beliefs. They also believes it angers the land. This should be an important concept in any campaign run using native peoples.

I would recommend talking to native folk about their own tribes and tribal traditions instead of relying on just Internet searches. In general most scholars break the native peoples of North America, excluding Mexico (covered here) into ten different cultural areas. These are the Arctic, Subarctic, Northeast, Southeast, Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, Northwest Coast, and Plateau. These cultures had distinct lifestyles from one another, with some being agricultural and others more nomadic. Tragically some have been lost along the way and that is something we should never forget. If we as games masters and content creators can keep them alive in our games, then that is one way of continuing their legacy into the future.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Yaarel

He Mage
Animism is a remarkably consistent view globally. There are of course large and important differences in the details, but there are a lot of commonalities that occur over and over.

Animism across North America, Scandinavia, North Asia, Africa, Australia, and elsewhere: these are the survival of cultural traditions from tens of thousands years ago, from our nomadic hunter-gatherer ancestors, from whom we all descend. They preserve strategies for how to survive ‘holistically’ and ‘well’.

Afrodyte

Explorer
How would that be different from playing Europeans in the Stone Age? What would be the difference between a European Aboriginal chucking a spear and an American Native doing the same? Does the color of their skin really matter in these instances?
Stone-Age-Detail-1.jpg

How were these people different from the American Indians?
bronzeAgeLife.jpg

How about these people? they are Stone Aged Europeans, their descendants colonized the New World, but this is them when they were at a similar technological level as Native Americans were when the Europeans first encountered them. Would you like a role playing game from their point of view? There was an article in Dragon Magazine once on this very subject.

I was not talking to you. I refuse to get sucked into a pointless argument or debate with you. Leave. Me. Alone.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The Roman army besieging Carthage did not adopt the intention of utter destruction until they watched the leading citizens of Carthage engage in a child sacrifice.
When the Romans were done with the living, they went out of their way to find all the child sacrifices' remains (demolishing the temples in the process), to give them a decent burial.

I guess that stopping child sacrifice by killing all the men, women and children is probably one of those things that makes more sense if you were there.

Derren

Hero
How would that be different from playing Europeans in the Stone Age? What would be the difference between a European Aboriginal chucking a spear and an American Native doing the same? Does the color of their skin really matter in these instances?
Stone-Age-Detail-1.jpg

How were these people different from the American Indians?
bronzeAgeLife.jpg

How about these people? they are Stone Aged Europeans, their descendants colonized the New World, but this is them when they were at a similar technological level as Native Americans were when the Europeans first encountered them. Would you like a role playing game from their point of view? There was an article in Dragon Magazine once on this very subject.

Well we do know more about the North American tribes that about any European or Asian stone age technology tribes. Also thanks to western the Native Americans are much more present in pop culture than for example African tribes.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Well we do know more about the North American tribes that about any European or Asian stone age technology tribes. Also thanks to western the Native Americans are much more present in pop culture than for example African tribes.

You know its funny that you mention that. The Native Americans had no written language to record their history, that means that without the intervention of the European explorers and colonists, we wouldn't know the specific details of their culture just as we don't have anything except fossils, artifacts and cave paintings from those stone age tribes that used to populate Europe. People tend to overlook the positive aspects and view the European interlopers in a negative light, they weren't all bad, and they did do a lot of great things. Without them, we wouldn't know the specific beliefs of the Native Americans, just like we don't know much about Paleo-Indians 10,000 years ago other than what they left behind in fossils and artifacts. The Paleo-Indians can't talk to us, but their more recent descendants did talk to Europeans that came to their continent, and those Europeans wrote what they heard down, so that is why we know about them today. We know who Pocahontas was, it took Europeans to make her famous, without them, she would have been just another chieftain's daughter and would be forgotten about with the passage of time. Of course her tribe was also wiped out by disease, and that is a tragedy. The sands of time would have erased them over many generations anyway, just as it did the Paleo-Indians that used to hunt woolly mammoths on the great plains.
5201733.jpg

we will never know what these people believed.

Imaro

Legend
You know its funny that you mention that. The Native Americans had no written language to record their history, that means that without the intervention of the European explorers and colonists, we wouldn't know the specific details of their culture just as we don't have anything except fossils, artifacts and cave paintings from those stone age tribes that used to populate Europe. People tend to overlook the positive aspects and view the European interlopers in a negative light, they weren't all bad, and they did do a lot of great things. Without them, we wouldn't know the specific beliefs of the Native Americans, just like we don't know much about Paleo-Indians 10,000 years ago other than what they left behind in fossils and artifacts. The Paleo-Indians can't talk to us, but their more recent descendants did talk to Europeans that came to their continent, and those Europeans wrote what they heard down, so that is why we know about them today. We know who Pocahontas was, it took Europeans to make her famous, without them, she would have been just another chieftain's daughter and would be forgotten about with the passage of time. Of course her tribe was also wiped out by disease, and that is a tragedy. The sands of time would have erased them over many generations anyway, just as it did the Paleo-Indians that used to hunt woolly mammoths on the great plains.
5201733.jpg

we will never know what these people believed.

Yep because recording the history of the people you are responsible for nearly eradicating is totally the good part about the fact that you nearly wiped them all out...

images

EDIT: If anyone needs an example of white privilege you need look no further than this post. The privilege of patting yourself on the back for having recorded a people's history while simultaneously wiping most of them off the face of the earth... with a side of justification that they all would have eventually died anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Derren

Hero
Yep because recording the history of the people you are responsible for nearly eradicating is totally the good part about the fact that you nearly wiped them all out...

images

That is a very simplistic worldview. What killed most natives was the pox. And while the British used it sometimes as a weapon it was in the end just a natural disease without agenda.
And while the British, Americans and Spanish had rather hostile relations with the native tribes, the French and Dutch lived peaceful next to and with them.

The pox is very often downplayed when it comes to native history and also RPGs, yet it is the biggest reason why the tribes declined and the colonization was so successful. Thing is, many RPGs downplay diseases. Still, for an accurate picture that topic should come up during play.

Imaro

Legend
That is a very simplistic worldview. What killed most natives was the pox. And while the British used it sometimes as a weapon it was in the end just a natural disease without agenda.
And while the British, Americans and Spanish had rather hostile relations with the native tribes, the French and Dutch lived peaceful next to and with them.

The pox is very often downplayed when it comes to native history and also RPGs, yet it is the biggest reason why the tribes declined and the colonization was so successful. Thing is, many RPGs downplay diseases. Still, for an accurate picture that topic should come up during play.

Emphasis mine... Let's just gloss over that... along with the fact they brought it to America.

Remove ads

Remove ads