The Journey To...North America, Part Two

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

I spoke to a friend of mine and her words still resonate with me. I asked Susan what she might want in terms of how her people are portrayed in role playing. She replied that she would not want her people's traditions taken for granted. Sacred is sacred. In struggling to find a theme for this article, her words helped me focus in on what is important. So I will begin, before talking about the people, with my "How would I use this?" section.

It is not hard for those of us descended from European, especially Western European ancestry, to relate to the sacred. Stonehenge comes to mind. Beowulf and the legend of Arthur. Joan of Arc. The stand at Thermopylae. Rome at its best and at its worst. A host of cultural touchstones that help give us some common context and cultural language. They literally are sprinkled through our role playing; ideas from history and mythology that fuel how we play.

So if I were going to run a campaign among the North American native tribes, prior to European arrival, it would be heavily focused on those ideas that they found and still find as sacred. It would be an intimate campaign, with no Vecna or dragons or Sauron. Perhaps a band of folk who have suffered loss who wander from place to place, helping others and battling legends. The magic would be subtle and beautiful and full of mystery. It would deal with the idea of what is sacred and how the sacred shapes the lives of the characters. Of course this can be taken into science fiction as well and Shadowrun does some of this with its setting.

What is sacred to the native tribes of North America? A best we can generalize because there are over 500 recognized tribes in the United States, including many in Alaska. Susan mentioned a few things: The Dance, The Ceremony, The Animals, and of course The Land itself. In our modern times issues of land ownership and management have come up again as natural resources are found on tribal lands. To the native peoples, land is more than just a means of making a living or a sign of prosperity. It represents a means of preserving cultural history and identity. Indigenous folk see themselves as protectors of the land and everything associated with it. Equally important are the spiritual and religious aspects of the land and specifically sacred spaces. These sacred places are integral to the tribes spiritual practices and when the land is disrespected, this insults the people and their beliefs. They also believes it angers the land. This should be an important concept in any campaign run using native peoples.

I would recommend talking to native folk about their own tribes and tribal traditions instead of relying on just Internet searches. In general most scholars break the native peoples of North America, excluding Mexico (covered here) into ten different cultural areas. These are the Arctic, Subarctic, Northeast, Southeast, Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, Northwest Coast, and Plateau. These cultures had distinct lifestyles from one another, with some being agricultural and others more nomadic. Tragically some have been lost along the way and that is something we should never forget. If we as games masters and content creators can keep them alive in our games, then that is one way of continuing their legacy into the future.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Great point. What they find depends on the level of fantasy and magic in the setting and how deep the historical change-point is. For a "realistic" game, I'd have them meet the Native Americans and I'd research the area to meld reality with adventuring. Perhaps, in 2018, the dominant population would Native American/Viking ethnic blending. Odin's sons might be Thunderbird and Coyote.

If I'm going for something gonzo, NA might look like something out of Thundarr. Filled with powerful sorcerers, strange mutants, and ancient tech. Maybe Princess Ariel's Native people have formed an alliance with Ucla's people?

If I'm going for more traditional DnD, I'd have ancient Native dungeons or ziggurats or earthworks, possibly blend North American and Meso-American history and ideas. Feathered serpents and thunderbirds would replace dragons. Perhaps bubgears or sasquatch crossed over from Asia and stalk the land. Depending on how deep I wanted to explore "good" and "evil" each group would have good reasoning for their enmity.
If I use any "ancient astronaut" theories, maybe orcs or goblins are extraterrestrial in nature. Duergar or Dwarves could take the role of Shaver's Derro.

Or finally, they might find "Manhattan Island" but it's not historically accurate in any way and I just world build from scratch.
Why Mexico? A visit to North America by the Vikings is like a visit to the late stone ages, a visit to the Aztecs is kind of like Ancient Egypt, the Aztecs also do human sacrifice, a paladin in the party is not likely to be culturally sensitive towards that.

Why Mexico? A visit to North America by the Vikings is like a visit to the late stone ages, a visit to the Aztecs is kind of like Ancient Egypt, the Aztecs also do human sacrifice, a paladin in the party is not likely to be culturally sensitive towards that.

Because I find inspiration in all of North, Central, and South American cultures and it's a fantasy RPG. And the Paladins at my table would probably be sensitive to human sacrifice. This comes down to not just the DM's world but the stories the player characters bring to it. It may be legal to sacrifice a culture, but is it good? And there is story there if you want to explore it. Or maybe a Vengeance Paladin had a family member sacrificed and it enrages them? That's the beauty of our hobby. The endless stories we are free to tell if everyone buys in.

I was just thinking that if I were to create a campaign based on Native American culture it might be based on the premise that for whatever reason Europeans stayed mired in the 11th century while the Aztecs became an advanced seafaring people and their ships suddenly appeared off the coast of England looking for human sacrifices to appease their gods.

OR, even better, perhaps the Native American gods warned their peoples of the coming invasion of Europeans and the Native Americans spent decades preparing. The orc-like "European" invaders would perhaps be better armed but without the magic of the native peoples.

I hope no one is offended by these ideas.

Like I said on Journey to Mesoamerica, society back then was extremely orderly, with most people never leaving the lands of their clan in their life. That society wouldn't see what we know as adventurers as something good, not even something normal. In fact they would be most likely seen as the bad guys, deliberately disturbing the harmony and balance of the world.
The same could be said of medieval Europe, yet here we are.

Yes, other peoples saw the Triple Alliance as oppressors for the onerous tributes they forced them to pay and for taking away their independence -yes they conquered, but didn't take the whole population as slaves-, but they weren't the bad guys more than the Romans would have been, and wouldn't have been seen as bloodthirsty barbarians -except at the very begining when they were still fresh from their nomadic roots as they were the last of the nahuatlaca tribes to arrive to the Central Basin-.
The Romans make great bad guys too. Although their human sacrificial practices we're considerably less prolific than the Aztecs' (and not really conceptualized as such by imperial times).
Oh and an important source of the exaggeration about human sacrifice? Turns out gullible tourists are more generous with tips the higher ther death toll. Tourist guides just tell them what they want to hear in order to earn better tips.
Archeologists have found and counted the mass graves. You can complain about exaggeration all you like, but the reality was horrible enough.

Skepticultist

Banned
Banned
The Romans make great bad guys too. Although their human sacrificial practices we're considerably less prolific than the Aztecs' (and not really conceptualized as such by imperial times).

The Romans are like the original Nazis. The First Reich as it were. Very easy to turn them into epic bad guys, what with the whole Total World Domination and We've Enslaved Your People angles to play off of. Perfect foils for a barbarian campaign.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
The Romans are like the original Nazis. The First Reich as it were. Very easy to turn them into epic bad guys, what with the whole Total World Domination and We've Enslaved Your People angles to play off of. Perfect foils for a barbarian campaign.

I think that was the Holy Roman Empire. The Holy Roman Empire was a German Empire with pretensions of being a renewed Roman Empire, that was the First Reich, The Second Reich was the German Empire under the Kaisers, The Third Reich was Hitler's Empire.

The Roman Empire was a mixed bag, when applied to the standards of the times, yes the Romans had slavery, but then so did many of the kingdoms they conquered, the Romans had blood sports, but then so did many of the cultures they conquered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tranquilis

Explorer
I’m so looking forward to Monday’s article...

Yet another tidbit that makes me think we are all being played to an extent by the selection of some the articles highlighted here over the last several months or more.

Throw red meat out, and watch the comment section explode.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases