D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Two

Carthum One-Tusk: the second landing

Carthum nodded at Dain's words. "Much will be revealed... but this shall only be the beginning."

An omen? A prediction of where the letters they signed would take them? Or just a random guess from a fledgling cleric? Perhaps it did not matter, for the troubles of Kalair went far beyond what a few gemstones could fix, no matter what kind of spells a sorcerer might cast from them.

Carthum could not pretend he wasn't worried, and that the battle hadn't gotten to him. But their respite, his prayers to Suru, had filled that empty hole in his chest, and despite all of his misgivings, his faith remained strong. Suru wished him- all of them- to be there. That was enough.

Now, if only Metea would behave...

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- the second landing

"You two are siblings?" Jeovanna asked. Looked between the two. "That is good."

No wonder they seemed so... attached?

Well, Jeovanna took some time to chew through matters, but she could get to the other side of it eventually. "To beginnings, then," she'd tilt her rations to the others as if it were a mug- by the hairy gods, she could use a drink- and settled back. "If this isn't an end, first."

It was touch and go, day in and day out. But they would be fine, she was sure.

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: The Second Landing

"To beginnings," Otiroth agreed, voice firm. They had too much to do to die here.

Besides, he knew of some farmers that might need some help. Hard to say if the oils to drive off normal pests would work on what they had experienced.

No doubt, they were all getting ready to move on, but they could linger there if only a little while longer. Fate would not wait forever.

Alath... he still needed to find out about Alath.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - The Second Landing

"Beginnings. And to our ending being far off, a distant point on a winding road littered with honor and happiness." Dain nodded, taking a swig from a leather waterskin.

Siblings? Now it made more sense, though obviously their kinship was of the sacred kind rather than the familial kind.

He sat up, pulling his sword free of its scabbard once again to study the dark blade in the torchlight. In his imagination, images of Essithea glittered on its surface.

97mg

Explorer
Annit: Second Landing

Annit loitered in the half-dark at the opposing door for a while, pressing an ear against it, detecting nothing save for a light draft through it's gap against the floor. There were no sounds of clanging metal or nashing teeth. All she heard was her colleagues in conversation, back in the opposite room.

Slowly she stepped back to the place of rest, leaned in against the door-frame and nervously smiled at everyone.

It was a positive sensation, seeing everyone taking a moment to gather themselves and become vaguely familiar. So many strangers, yet one way or another they would be making their way down as a team. A group of oddities chosen by powers even more peculiar.

“I can’t hear anything at the other door, and it is safely latched it seems. When we are ready, I might be able to umm, pry the lock open, if we are lucky,” spoken almost as though a confession by the young woman.

“I can only hope, and have faith that very few know of this place,” she said to nobody in particular. “My family has been entrusted with protecting this site for a very long time. I dare say, right now, Father is backfilling and covering the trapdoor. You need not worry about the possibility of being spotted on the field either, precautions were taken, we were promised.”

“Well, I think we’ve done well so far, but it is a little disconcerting to meet with traps and old inhabitants so soon.” She turned to face the opposite door again, continuing to speak. “It is a good sign I guess, that their might be things here worthy of such jealous protection. I wish I could tell you exactly what we seek, but I only know that perhaps there are of course… raw gems, possibly imbibed with magic, and also answers, that we unearth together.”

The young Rogue looked to Otiroth, Metea, and Carthum then.

“It is said that the gifted can sense them, and if it is true you should say if you feel any kind of… connection… as we move down.”

An almost knowing look was shot to Dain then, as he inspected the opal hues upon the sword.

"I've seen such colors before..."

She was quiet then.

Perhaps they might have questions or more preparation to do? Better to enjoy some peace whilst it was available, she thought.

Metea

First Post
Metea: The second landing

They had fallen to silence, but Annit's arrival broke that, if only slightly. Metea squeezed her talisman once more- and then slipped it back into her pocket.

She'd smile at Annit. "Precautions? Did those involve magic?" She'd ask, with a sort of curious excitement. "If there are other mages active, why, we might not be in as bad as shape as we thought. Or was it more mundane protection?" She'd frown a bit at the potential disappointment of a simple solution.

The tiefling hopped up, and would begin poking about the room, as if she could find something interesting right then and there. Maybe a miner had stolen away some gemstones and hidden them? There must have been a thriving black market back then!

Her investigation would end at the door Annit had been prodding at, and she'd put one ear to it, too. Just to take a listen.

<Would it be correct to roll investigation? 10 + 6 for investigation, +4 intelligence= 20>

Carthum One-Tusk: the second landing

The thief- no, Annit- returned, and that seemed to be the cue for Metea to poke around as well. He hoped she had the sense to be cautious.

"Here," he'd toss Annit some of the flavored-up rations they had brought along. After facing down death together, well, perhaps she was not so bad. And they really did need to work together down here.

"Your family has acted as caretakers of this place? Have you ever explored it before?" Carthum asked. He would think not, but... Annit seemed to imply that things moving around was a bit unnatural.a

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- the second landing

Jeovanna moved to take her turn on watch as Annit joined the others. Nothing more needed to be said, really. They did what they must.

She'd keep one hand on her sword. And one eye on the tiefling, whom she felt had a bit of a lack of common sense. Smart enough to spot a trap, perhaps, but too curious not to stick her hand into it to see what happened, she figured.

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: The Second Landing

Otiroth watched Metea pick around the room, too. In silence.

He'd finally turn back towards Annit, though. "An interesting theory," he agreed. "I have never had the opportunity to see if something in my blood reacts to the magic of Marixian gems. From the old stories, you would think all of them were sparkling pockets of vile magic and temptation, but it makes me wonder if perhaps a few bad apples spoiled the bunch, so to speak."

"Magic can be written into anything- even gems. Or so I have heard."

It was certainly written into his blood, if not for one reason, than another.

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - The Second Landing

Dain looked up from his blade when Annit started talking. He was no sorcerer, though he felt close enough to Essithea at times that he wondered if she would not aid him if he requested it.

Mystical trackers? Interesting. It seems we are all here for a reason.

He went on listening as the others talked, but when Annit mentioned the hue of his blade, his attention went directly to her. Standing up, he sheathed the sword. Who had enchanted his weapon? Was it Essithea, or one of Annit's mysterious benefactors? Should he be concerned?

Well either way, he had signed the agreement. A man with no past putting his trust into shadows and words. But it had felt right, and for him, that had been enough. Trust.

"Well these enchanted gems won't go out of their way to find us, I am guessing. And if we have a way of tracking them, then as a tracker, I suggest we use it. The more time we spend searching, the more time adversaries have to confront us. Although I still do not like leaving unopened doors in our wake, it might be that speed benefits us more than thoroughness."

Remove ads