D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Two

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Further Down

Dain stepped slowly backwards, up the steps, as Carthum made good his strike. The noise that followed was proof that something was going to happen and when the oil began to fall, Dain was clear from it. He spied it nearing his torch and his head turned from right to left, making sure none of the party were thinking of rushing downwards.

As the armor slipped and fell, Dain positioned himself and his sword in preparation for its return.

My heart races, but not with fear. No. My body, at least, has memory of some martial valor. I may not have been the son of an Emperor, but I was no ploughman's scion, either. Essithea knew this, knows it still...

Jeovanna's arrow whizzed by, and he saw the armor topple into a pile of rubbish. With a nod of approval at her aim, he sheathed his sword and immediately found the cleric, patting him on the back. "You serve your goddess well, friend." Dain spoke matter of factly, without excitement. "And I owe you both for your healing touch."

Like the others, he turned to watch what happened when the oil reached the fire. But his thoughts were already on what they would encounter next....further down. "No doubt we have the attention of this place now." He said, mostly to himself. "We've roused every foul thing that may have been sleeping in the dark places." He turned to look at his comrades. "And if they are wise, they will find other holes to hide in."

Metea

First Post
Metea- Further Down

It was over. It was done!

"Ha. See? It was just a bit of bluster. They should've sent a real guard," Metea bragged, for if she spoke like that, neither her voice nor her hands would shake, surely.

But hesitated crept back in as Dain spoke. "Do you... think there are more of them? Really?"

Metea moved forward to watch Otiroth work on the stairwell. Her tail might've brushed his bum, purely incidentally. She liked watching the sorcerer work!

Carthum One-Tusk: How could you

Carthum gave a tusky grin back to Dain, nodding. "Though Suru is usually seen as a God, friend!"

"And indeed, this was well done, though I believe those of us who are not fireproof should hang back until the torch is either out, or the oil is. And perhaps, when we find a safe place to rest, we could discuss what happened during that b- Otiroth!"

To be fair, the sounds of the fight from before and the clanking of the armor also echoed plenty, but the half-orc's bellow was just a bit more noise.

They could not afford to fight amongst themselves, obviously. But oh, he had a very grim expression.

97mg

Explorer
Annit: A view from behind

Annit stood to the back of the landing and considered Dain’s heavy words. He was probably right that if there were other things down below, they would know they weren’t alone soon enough. It was a worry, but she felt strangely comfortable in the presence of such an unlikely and unique group of explorers. She’d seen plenty in these first few moments underground and most of it was reassuring. They weren’t all anxiety and sternness either. She smiled to herself at the Tiefling’s play with the sorcerer's behind. There was definitely something saucy going on there. It was going to be an interesting journey indeed!

Hanging back, as the priest put it, sounded like an excellent plan. Things were likely to heat up soon, if they hadn’t already for Otiroth..

<Annit Insight roll = 14 to understand vague nature of Otiroth & Metea's relationship.
Jeovanna & Otiroth next, then fire time.>

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- Further Down

The oil continued to drizzle further down the stairs- it was creeping away from them, but things were heating up anyway.

"Yes," Jeovanna grimaced in agreement with Carthum. Talking. There were situations where jumping in front of her in combat could turn things much worse.

The rest was just distraction. At least no-one seemed traumatized.

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Further down

Otiroth continued to use prestidigitation to clear what steps he could- minimizing the fire was better than nothing.

Metea strolled up behind him. He was quite aware of that as well, though would keep on working, as was their 'game'. Although she forgot- or maybe not- about a factor in this scenario. The sorcerer almost jumped, turning back towards the rest. "What? What! I didn't do a damn thing!" He'd stammer back at Carthum, though it was probably quite futile.

Oil was hissing and spitting now. Time for all of them to step back- more room for that now though!- and watch the show, and maybe forget about the other one.

97mg

Explorer
It began with smouldering, a bitter smell wafting up the steps whilst grey smog arose beneath the torch. Then it caught. First a small flame waltzed a few feet like a drunken miniature dancer, but with each flicker and turn it grew. Waves of bright glowing orange heat drifted outwards, sizzling and popping, leaping up steps and crawling up walls. It wasn't long before the whole passage was ablaze, hot and angry, searching everywhere for more fuel to wet it's appetite. But there was none. It was a barren land of nothing but cold dark rock.

As quickly as it had sprung to life, the fire died, leaving behind a strong reminder of it's brief rise to power. A ghastly thick haze in the air, the clingy stench of an impure accelerant and stones still black yet hot to touch.

<Visibility is reduced to 20ft for the time being. The steps lose heat quickly, but the smog looks like it wants to hang around and smells nasty.

No need to post in the initiative order anymore, fire at will :)>

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain - Descending

The sudden flaring forth of fire lit up the dim mines with a fleeting brilliance, eradicating even their shadows upon the wall, before it quickly lost its strength and began to fizzle out. The hazy smoke left behind made Dain sneer in disgust and annoyance. But even as he sneered, he was pulling a second torch from his pack. Crouching down, he worked quickly to light it.

I wonder if we shall all leave this place alive?

"I believe our order of descent should be the same. Swords in the front, good eyes for traps in the middle, and sorcery in the rear along with Suru's servant. Believe me when I say that the cleric's touch may be our greatest asset."

Once the torch was lit, Dain drew his sword once again and started down the steps at a steady pace. "Don't mind the fear, friends. Think of the tales you shall tell your children as they sit at your feet by the fire, and how you will boast of your deeds and valor." Honestly, it was hard to tell if Dain was being sincere or sarcastic, such was the tone of his voice.

But one thing was certain, he was moving at a steady pace.

<Perception skill check: 10>

Metea

First Post
Metea- Descending

"Hm. Not a bad fire. Worth at least three chickens, but none of them hens," Metea said lightly.

But nobody else looked exactly thrilled, and she'd frown. "Maybe you go ahead, Otiroth? I will smooth my brother's hackles," she meant it teasingly, but a bit seriously as well, and as she fell in line alongside Carthum in the rear, she'd stroke his arm gently. He took things so seriously!

Her mind, though, was a bit frustrated, as already, she was thinking of all the secrets she had already gained. She longed to whisper to her patron... knew that soon enough, it'd not only be expected, but demanded. But she did not imagine her comrades wanted a narration of their descent...

97mg

Explorer
Second Landing

Pushing through the smog, Dain’s torchlight surrounds the group in yellow swirling haze. The miner’s grease certainly has its own special aroma that lingers on the nose, but nobody chokes or gasps on the way down. Perhaps just the odd sneeze or wheezy breath.

Reaching the next landing past the pile of rusty armor that now lies still, all is without incident, even though a few of the steps were still a little slippery. The air begins to clear. Though the place is quiet except for your footsteps, there is a light draft that blows across the ankles from time to time too.

As predicted, there is a door to the left and right. Both look thick and sturdy, solid hard planks nailed and overlapped, hanging off thick iron hinges. Each has a tough looking latch and a brass plated keyhole. Thankfully, the one on the left is open. The other, according to a little quick investigation from Annit, is locked.

Through the left side door is what appears to be living quarters of some kind. A weathered table with a few old ceramic cups atop, surrounded by short wooden stools. Along the far wall lies a row of hessian cushions loaded with hay, which has mostly broken down. A resting place of some kind most likely, you can almost imagine a group of tired and dirty faced miners here, sharing a few stories during a short break from heavy labor.

<This is a good opportunity for a short rest and to get to know each other a little better, as I’m going to have limited internet for a few days. I’ll pop in and tag when I can :) then we can push on into the unknown. Annit is happy to stand watch if you like, and will respond to any dialogue you have with her during my opportunities to get online.>

Last edited:

Remove ads