D&D 5E The Kalarian Precipice - Chapter Two

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- Fields

"Such hand-wringing," Jeovanna said, though she seemed only confident now having gleaned the same confidence from her companions. The long and short of the whole thing was immaterial

She did not have an especially fancy mark, or even a true signature, but the two marks were in Gnollscript- typically drawn with a claw- and probably meant what she thought they did.

See? She acted alongside the others, even if they made it look much nicer than she did. There was one thing she could do, though. "Stand aside," she'd instruct the digger, and would put her muscles to work on wrenching open the iron 'door' which had been left at only a crack before.

97mg

Explorer
Gerralos & Annit with all

Carthum: Unlike those who have signed before you, your parchment does not immediately degrade. Instead, you can only watch as the ink gradually fades away, then olden script begins to fill the page as though brushed by an invisible hand. The style is familiar but the language is foreign. The grace of the lettering. The angles of the strokes. The same hand who crafted the sacred print that you so treasure? It is a possibility.

As you attempt to understand or seek patterns in the text, the page finally begins to age before your very eyes, wrinkling and breaking apart, and you can’t help but wonder if a blessing has been bestowed upon you as you commit the last sentence to memory.

Ari yovln Suru, impartia kalorus valenno daccetith.

You won’t be forgetting those words any time soon, hopefully, as a sneaking suspicion creeps up on you that you’re going to need them, in one way or another.

97mg

Explorer

Jeovanna: For you this is something of a sobering experience, but thankfully only temporary. It is hard to accept or breach the denial of what regular intoxication has done over the years. Not to mention the wild mood and weapon slinging which has lived with you since those Gnoll-filled days. The choices you’ve made along the way to reach this point have been almost primitive and “pure”. Forever living in the present, it comes as quite a surprise to recollect something, an old memory, oft submerged in drink and the haze of life’s daily battle.

“Gnoohl sasitck,” the Gnoll named Blutith says. The guttural words are hard to translate into common, but “hunt well,” would probably suffice. So rare, for such devious and misunderstood beasts to have treated you as kin. These were friends, family and mentors. Their violent and instinctive ways satisfied a hunger within you, an empty pit filled by the comradeship and acceptance of being one among a pack.

Reaching forwards, the old friend snatched your hand to draw a claw across your palm. Not one to hold back, the wound is deep and red. Then, taking your hand to his lips, a salivorous tongue licks at your gash. There is no greater honor. This is a promise, an understanding, that though you abandon the pack to fight the future of your own accord, you are recognized as one of them… for life.

He was the last to bid you goodbye on the fateful day of leaving their territory to your past, his final words to you “collack slis-e-dar,” or “when you return, we will be ready”.

The Gnolls had access to things that a mere human would never understand. A knowledge of duality. A pact with ancient darkness that perhaps, to this day, is the one thing that can cause you true fear.

The moment of clarity begins to leave you then, your page already gone from your grasp as you imagine Blutith smiling as best a Gnoll may. He knows that your mark is theirs. He knows the fight ahead is yours, yet the battle it may sway is a Gnoll’s. Somewhere towards the hills they are there, in the present, where a hunter has now become prey.

As you step forward purposely to assist the old man, he nods with respect and allows you to put strength to test against the old iron. With ease the door is loosened, the grit on its edges bouncing down a few tired looking steps and disappearing from sight.

Last edited:

Metea

First Post
Metea- Fields

Metea basked in the voice of her patron; felt its wills and desires filter from its unknowable source to her. In that second, she learned another secret about her mentor, and it was a good one to know.

If this delve into the earth was part of what her pact needed from her, then it was obvious she would do it. The tiefling opened her eyes after a moment, and frowned when she saw Carthum's expression. "It is okay," she murmured, laying a hand on his arm, but she'd step back as he signed his own sigil to the paper.

It was the beginning of a new era in their lives. It this wretched heat and drought were as unnatural as they seemed, then perhaps this would be a way to alleviate the misery.

Metea wandered over towards Jeovanna as she tore open the door, peering around the woman to get a look into the darkness.

Otiroth

First Post
Otiroth: Fields

The feeling is akin to grasping a hot coal. Grasping birthright.

It is invigorating- enough so to leave the frail body returned to feeling more than ever as such. The feeling of fragility passed quickly, but the ecstasy of flight and fire lingered on.

Truth.

Otiroth gave the others a very stern look, though. They were about to descend into a very dangerous place. "There's likely worse than just rats down there now," Otiroth said. "What exactly are we looking for down there?"

He had read that all gemstones had been cast into the sea. Perhaps magical items? The Burning Rose had horded some, but most everything had been lost. That there might have been some so close to town all this time...

daindarkspring

First Post
Dain-Fields

A moment of mystery, but also a moment of hope. A glimmer of something from the twilight that was his past, leading perhaps to a brighter future?

Staring at the pommel of his sword, Dain pulled it free of its earthly sheath slowly, shaking the bits of dirt free from its edge.

He was hardly aware of the opening of the hatch that led deep into the mountain. But he would not fear the dark places, not if he had a cause.

97mg

Explorer
Metea: Peeking down into the hole you are pleased that here at least, is not a sheer drop. A set of rough earthen steps appears to lead downwards, and though in places the compacted dirt looks to have suffered erosion, they are set within hardwood braces which have survived the test of time. The aroma rising from the depths is damp, earthy, and even a little salty.

Dain: Retrieving your sword, you know at once that something has changed as your tug it back into the morning air. Lighter. More balanced. Turning the dark blade in the light, you see shifting reflections running down it's length on both sides, only visible when set it at certain angles to the sun. From the hilt, a line glints like an opal’s fire in the light, a shape with strong resemblance to the base of a tree. From there, silvered branches spread across the blade only to rejoin just before the tip.

<We'll let Carthum react next, then I'll post for the NPCs>

Carthum One-Tusk: Fields

The words repeated in his head over and over again. Enticing. Mysterious. Maybe for one moment, the half-orc understood why his sister spent so much time creeping dark places; after all, what was shadow without light?

Suru had guided him here. He must believe it, or go mad.

"Well. There lies our path," he grunted, nodding towards the hole that fell away into darkness. Carthum could see fairly well in the dark, but he knew not all of his companions could. "A pit into the past, but far less friendly that the catacombs beneath the temple. Can you name what we are seeking, or is it shrouded in sand as well?"

That was not asked unkindly, for what it was worth. Sometimes, 'we shall know when we see it' was a valid response... especially when dealing with such gateways into the forgotten.

97mg

Explorer

Gerralos and his daughter have been quiet, respectfully letting everyone absorb the personal nature of their profound recent events. The old man looks proud, enjoying the curious show, watching your changing expressions and body language.

Then he speaks once more.

“Maybe the powers that be, had it right afterall.”

Looking to Otiroth and Carthum he adds, “Now, I can tell you.”

“Friends, these steps lead to an isolated depth that may well pre-date the Cinto Mines. I say isolated because nobody entering via the usual route...” he points off to the cliffs, “has found other access to this passage as far as we know. Back, long before even my great grandparents were babes, when the mines were operational, the only way in was a perilous descent down the faces by rope or ladder. Many brave souls were victims to the seas below, losing their lives to the allure of riches and power. But there were mines even older than those.”

“Before the years of gems, it is possible that an unsuspecting worker of these fields found something of interest and commenced a dig. As far as I am aware there are no public records of this fact, however. Now the next part is speculation to say the least. Some cliff miners reported the existence of a cave, somewhere near the water’s edge, but it was blocked, and not likely the doing of nature alone. Rockfalls are rare here, you will be pleased to know.”

“The task upon us is to carefully explore the old workings below, for if any magically imbued crystals are left, this is where they might lie. We will finish the work that someone unknown began for us in the ages before. Why bother with crystals, you might ask? Take care my friends. They have a seductive power and attraction indeed, and from them we hope to ignite the innate potential of our peoples against their venomous threat. But that is not all... we also hope to find the sea-level cave and find a way through at the base of the cliffs. Only then will we know that our task is done.”

“As for rats. Yes. You are wise to assume that old ground may hold not only old stones, but old enemies also. It would be wise to beware of that which lives in darkness. Stay alert. Someone went to great effort to dig and protect this place, and they may have left surprises for the unsuspecting.”

He turns to Annit then and simply says, “the stone.”

She slides an arm into their large sack and feels about for something, eventually pulling out what looks like a plain old river pebble.

“My aged bones, as you might suspect are not up to this task. I send my daughter with you instead, as to her I have imbibed as much knowledge as will fit between those ears. When you are ready to return here, simply hold that stone and say my name. I will come back to unearth the door as quickly as I am able. Within that sack are torches, rations, a rope ladder and several small mining tools as well. Take your time. Tread carefully. Don’t let the darkness overcome you.”

<If anyone proceeds downwards, the steps are wide enough for two people to walk side-by-side. I'll let you guys decide the "marching order" among yourselves. Place Annit wherever you like in the procession.

We need a volunteer for the esteemed role of map-maker. Rather than providing maps along the way, I thought it might be fun if someone (who has time) might like to map the mines based on their interpretation of the descriptions along the way. Perhaps distributed by email, and I'll host the images and pop them in the thread from time to time. Draw and scan, or create digitally, up to you. If this idea isn't popular I'll happily publish maps for you guys... but at a cost... to be determined later *evil laugh*>

Jeovanna

First Post
Jeovanna- Fields

Jeovanna chuckled dryly, though not at anything in particular. She tended to laugh when she was nervous, but she didn't suppose she was there yet.

"Vanity," she muttered, "protecting pretty trinkets with ugly traps," after all, she had a trap at her hip- for game, but she imagined similar would be easy enough to set. If the wooden stairs could withstand the passage of time, so could some hardy traps. "There will be worms and spiders up here. Worse down deeper," she predicted, a bit louder, so that the others could actually hear her.

She had no real expectations about this delve into the dark, other than that she imagined she'd miss the sunlight, very soon. But she was inspired by memories of home, and Blutith, and imagined that he was likely hounded by a small litter by now. If he could bark up that tree, then she could at least head into the dark.

Jeovanna did not mind heading in first.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases